Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2015-2016 Challenge!

Aireen

Hey there, lovely ladies!~ :wave: It's time for round 2 of our HL-TBL challenge! Round 1 was great, filled with lessons, inspiration, and triumphs to help us move foward! I'm so glad to be able to host another challenge with all of you! :grin: I know there are tons of ladies at BSB/BSL, MBL, and WL that want lustrous strands for 2015-2016, let's make this challenge a complete success and progress towards our goals together! Who is with me? :lol: For the ladies out there that are new to this challenge, you can check out the last one! Oh and don't worry if your goal isn't exactly HL-TBL, you're more than welcome to stick around – the more the merrier! :drunk:

Eager to participate? Just mention "@Aireen" and fill out the deets below. You can join at any time, no cut-offs. If I happen to miss your request, just mention me again and you'll be added to the list. You can choose to enter for only the first half of the challenge which will end in 2015 or stay until the finale in 2016. Challengers that reach HL–TBL will have ":trophy:" next to their name, so let us all know right away when you've made it to your goal.

Details:

• Current length:
• Regimen:
• Exact goal length:
• Exact goal date:
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal:
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved:

Dates:

• Start: December 31st, 2014 (Round 2 officially begins!)
• Update: June 30th, 2015 (Middle of the year; mandatory update!)
• Update: December 31st, 2015 (Midpoint/end of 1st half of round 2; mandatory update! Hope to see amazing reveals! :lick:)
• Update: June 30th, 2016 (Middle of the year; mandatory update!)
• End: December 31st, 2016 (Round 2 officially ends! Final reveals! *Throws confetti and flips hair* :woot:)

HL–TBL 2015-2016 Challengers:

• @Aireen
• @Beachy
• @BeautifulFlower
• @bebezazueta
• @caliscurls
• @cocosweet
• @curlycrocheter
• @davisbr88
• @Dee Raven
• @DoDo
• @Duchess007
• @girlonfire
• @IllustriousOne
• @ILuvCurls
• @Joigirl
• @KinksAndInk
• @LaFemmeNaturelle
• @LaVgirl :trophy:
• @leleepop
• @Lucia
• @lulu97
• @ManeStreet
• @marta9227
• @mayoo :trophy:
• @melahnee
• @MileHighDiva
• @MsKinkycurl
• @mssoconfused
• @Napp
• @Naturelie
• @pre_medicalrulz
• @prettydarkthing
• @SmilingElephant
• @snoop
• @YaniraNaturally

Hope to see all of us reach our goals by the end of round 2! Long, luxurious, luscious locks FTW! *Fist pump and flips hair*:gorgeous: Ready, set, GROW! :drunk:

Last edited:

Aireen

I'll start with my update, will post a picture when I get around to it lol. :look:

Current length: Back at MBL; 4a relaxed
Regimen: Wash, condition, apply serum, blow-dry – repeat. Relax every 4-4.5 months.
Exact goal length: TBL, baby! :woot: *Hair flips*
Exact goal date: December 31st, 2016 at 11:59:59PM. :look:
Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Sticking to my regimen, relaxing every 4-4.5 months, mini trims, protecting hair at night, protein balance, taking vitamins for strong new growth.
Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Hair flipping is a must, duhhh! :look: As well as just keeping it super simple, complicating things always gets me in trouble so I'll just be sticking to my regimen as best as I can.

EDIT: FINALLY HAVE MY STARTING PICCCC! :woot:

Attachments

• 9 - january2015hair.jpg
    9 - january2015hair.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Now I said I wouldn't be joining challenges but I don't wanna be one of those people that put all my focus in other areas and my hair starts going downhill. I need to be held accountable as I still have length goals and I'm not in maintenance mode yet. I def should be by the end of this challenge though! I'll be back to update everything once I do my final length check in 2 weeks. I'll update in the old thread too.

Aireen

Now I said I wouldn't be joining challenges but I don't wanna be one of those people that put all my focus in other areas and my hair starts going downhill. I need to be held accountable as I still have length goals and I'm not in maintenance mode yet. I def should be by the end of this challenge though! I'll be back to update everything once I do my final length check in 2 weeks. I'll update in the old thread too.
Alright, @lulu97, hope to see you soon! We'll just gently nudge you in the right direction, no pressure! :grin: Do you want me to add your name to the list or should I wait until you're sure and you're ready to fill out the details?

Last edited:

bebezazueta

Even though I'm transitioning. I still want to reach HL! I'll be back with a starting pic next month when I straighten. Right now I'm 4.5 inches away. So close. I've reached WL on Dec 2013 & been mini chopping back to BSL ever since. I'm putting down the scissors. Growing to HL & will maintain from there while I LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG term transition. :look:

ETC: I am 4.5 inches away from WHip length and not HL. SMH! So overall 6 inches from HL. That's one year of growth with no trims. So 2 years with trims should get me there.

Last edited:

Aireen

Even though I'm transitioning. I still want to reach HL! I'll be back with a starting pic next month when I straighten. Right now I'm 4.5 inches away. So close. I've reached WL on Dec 2013 & been mini chopping back to BSL ever since.

I'm putting down the scissors. Growing to HL & will maintain from there while I LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG term transition. :look:
Hey, bebezazueta! Glad you'll be joining us! Should I add your name to the list or do you want me to wait until you fill out the details and have your pic?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Alright, @lulu97, hope to see you soon! We'll just gently nudge you in the right direction, no pressure! :grin: Do you want me to add your name to the list or should I wait until you're sure and you're ready to fill out the details?

Aireen Yes add me to the list! I'll be updating everything in 2 weeks when I straighten. I'm excited! Woot woot!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Even though I'm transitioning. I still want to reach HL! I'll be back with a starting pic next month when I straighten. Right now I'm 4.5 inches away. So close. I've reached WL on Dec 2013 & been mini chopping back to BSL ever since. I'm putting down the scissors. Growing to HL & will maintain from there while I LOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG term transition. :look:

bebezazueta We need to keep each other motivated! We can do this!

marta9227

Thanks for tagging me Aireen !

• Current length: Back at WL; 3b/c relaxed
• Regimen: Weather less than 80 degrees: DC, wash, leave ins, blow dry and flat iron every two weeks. Weather over 80 degrees: DC, wash and wash and go with appropriate products weekly. Relax every 3 months.
• Exact goal length: HL with really healthy ends!
• Exact goal date: September 21st, 2016 at 11:59:59PM. Just in time for my 40th bday!
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Sticking to my regimen, relaxing every 3 months, mini trims every relaxer.
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: sticking to regimen and maintaining at HL

Really excited about this. I joined the 2014 challenge but I really fell off on posting and official length checks so I plan to do better in this one! I'll post a year end/beginning pic when I relax. Lets grow ladies!

Last edited:

Aireen

Really excited about this. I joined the 2014 challenge but I really fell off on posting and official length checks so I plan to do better in this one! I'll post a year end/beginning pic when I relax. Lets grow ladies!

Added you to the challenge! I fell off too but this time I'm hoping this challenge will be bigger and better! Glad to see you for the 2nd round! :grin:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Aireen

• Current length: Waist length
• Regimen: Wash, condition, apply leave-ins and heat Rx, blow dry and braid
• Exact goal length: Hip length
• Exact goal date: Hopefully by December 2015/2016
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Gentle care and thorough conditioning
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Moderately gentle care, hair will be worn primarily in a lightly flat ironed state, thorough conditioning and moisture treatment will continue

mssoconfused

• Current length: MBL ( a little past) and 100% natural (no more transitioning!)
• Regimen: Co-wash twice a week. Deep condition at least once a week (45m under heat cap), wash n go primarily with some buns in between. No heat except the occasional use of diffuser (trying to find a way to wash and go in the winter with NO heat).
• Exact goal length: MBL when my hair is curly and TBL when my hair is straight
• Exact goal date: December 31st, 2015 (this may be a real struggle but I'm gonna go ahead and aim REAL high).
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Sticking to my regimen, proper moisture and protein balance. No more mini chops! Finger detangling ONLY. Will straighten once per year with heat.
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Continuing to deep condition and wash and go often. Would like to incorporate more buns.

SmilingElephant

Aireen : So I was waiting by the phone for this to be set up... But then I fell asleep. :look:....:lol:

Details:

• Current length: MBL/WL
• Regimen: wash n goes. I shampoo and deep condition weekly. Co wash 2-3 times a week. I will be incorporating prepooing into my regimen more often with oils.
• Exact goal length: HL
• Exact goal date: May 2015
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Eating healthier, babying my ends, wearing more buns, vitamins
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: microtrims to maintain the length. Continue to wash and deep condition weekly

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I was going to officially fill all this out when I straightened, but my stylist is now booked until Jan & I don't know if I'll have the will power to do it at home. The last time took me ALL day, so just in case I can't bring myself to do it before the year is over; here are my stats & a picture from today. It's around 75 to 80% straight from a roller set but it gives a general idea of my length.

Current length: I'm past waist

Regimen: My regimen depends on the season/weather. Right now since it's cool, I wear my hair semi straight with roller sets & re-do them every 1-2 weeks. In the spring, I incorporate flexi rod sets every 10-14 days. In the summer, I co wash a lot or get braids installed.

Exact goal length: TBL

Exact goal date: Hip by Dec 31, 2015. TBL by Dec 31, 2016

Tools + plans to help reach final goal:
Keep my ends moisturized
Continue to keep direct heat usage to a minimum

Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: *Celebrate by coloring my hair jet black. *Dance and whip my hair back and forth in the mirror for a minimum of 30 minutes. *Start to focus on trimming off the rest of my relaxed ends all while maintaining TBL.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Oh yeah... Here's my length check pic :)

One is my most recently straightened hair and the other is my damp curly hair.

Idk exactly what to call this length except grazing WL.

I just want to grow 3-4 more inches and I'll be happy :)

CAM02327.jpg

ForumRunner_20141201_152308.jpg

Aireen

Ladies-For those that workout, how do you maintain your hair with your gym schedule?
Haven't been to the gym in a minute... *cough cough* I'm going back though. :look: Anyway, do you sweat a lot from the top of your head, @mssoconfused? If I go often I put my hair in a ponytail, secure any falling pieces back with a little butterfly clip, and I'll sweat from just my hairline. I wipe off the sweat, shower with plastic shower cap on, and just wash my hair on an off day when it feels really grimy.

Last edited:

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Current length: MBL
Regimen: Bi-weekly cleansing and DC treatments, heavy M&S, and low manipulation
Exact goal length: TBL
Exact goal date: 12/31/2016
Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Satin bonettes & pillow cases, fingaz and seamless combs. I'm trying to follow Lucia's No Cut Challenge, so I'm trying to avoid my quarterly dust and/or trims.
Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Flaunt It :lachen: :look: :lachen:

:pray: for me! I feel that I'm at terminal retention. :perplexed I've been stuck at MBL since last March/Spring Equinox :spinning: I don't know why I've hit this wall. :wallbash: Hopefully, I'll reach WL by this Spring or Summer.

Last edited:

mssoconfused

Haven't been to the gym in a minute... *cough cough* I'm going back though. :look: Anyway, do you sweat a lot from the top of your head, @mssoconfused? If I go often I put my hair in a ponytail, secure any falling pieces back with a little butterfly clip, and I'll sweat from just my hairline. I wipe off the sweat, shower with plastic shower cap on, and just wash my hair on an off day when it feels really grimy.

I sweat all thru my head making my wash and look like a sad fro by day 3....

NaturalBoss

Aireen

Current length: MBL
Regimen: Deep condition once a week. Protein treatment when needed. Trim when needed. Wear in twists, bun or twist out
Exact goal length: HL
Exact goal date: December 31st, 2015
Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Keep hair moisturized. Be gentle
Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Keep up regimen. Take lots of pics :grin:

SmilingElephant

Im so excited! I truly hope I make my goal by May next year! 6 months away :)

I just put some hot 6 oil on my hair... It's still straight. It was needing some nutrients lol

I might go back curly next week.

I wish there was a thread filled with posts from those who've made it to hip length and beyond. I need visualization. :-/

SmilingElephant

That's why I look at Tumblr blogs dedicated to long hurrr and collected some favs for inspiration. :look:

Good idea!

I collect lots of curly hair pics on Pinterest... there's not as many pics of long hair tho. Especially looooong hair on black women. Unless it's weave and then it's discouraging. Lol

MsKinkycurl

Aireen

• Current length: WLish (I still won't believe it until I finally get it straightened or am well past WL.
• Regimen:Wash and DC every 5-7 days. I only use heatless stretching, and no combs unless I'm trimming my hair. I avoid products with alcohols and silicone. Shea butter is my boo thing year round.

• Exact goal length: full HL
• Exact goal date:December 2016
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Low manipulation and finding my protein/moisture balance again. I may start using henna again.

• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Get a blunt U shaped cut, buy a nice flat iron, and experiment with occasional heat.