Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Oh, I'm going to join! I don't think I'll have blood work done until next year though.

@brg240 You can go ahead and join and list all your stats. The 3 rules are encouraged to be worked on before the 1st check-in in June 2017. Just want to make sure that we have nothing standing in our way to reach those unicorn lengths. LOL. Welcome to the challenge!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Currently have mini braids installed. I'll hit 2 weeks soon. They are just so easy. I wore them down all last week so I'll be bunning this week. I washed and deep conditioned them yesterday and started using the Netwurks growth spray today. I'm seriously thinking about leaving them in for the next 6 months. I'll take them down one by one, remove shed hair and immediately braid that section right back up. Maybe doing the takedown and re-install every 6 weeks, washing as needed? I'm still deciding and tweaking my regimen, but once it's set in stone...I'll update.

AgeinATL

Currently have mini braids installed. I'll hit 2 weeks soon. They are just so easy. I wore them down all last week so I'll be bunning this week. I washed and deep conditioned them yesterday and started using the Netwurks growth spray today. I'm seriously thinking about leaving them in for the next 6 months. I'll take them down one by one, remove shed hair and immediately braid that section right back up. Maybe doing the takedown and re-install every 6 weeks, washing as needed? I'm still deciding and tweaking my regimen, but once it's set in stone...I'll update.

May we have pictures? I was thinking of doing something like this. How long did it take to install? That is where I always talk myself out of installing mini twists/braids. The time to do them for someone with dense hair.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
May we have pictures? I was thinking of doing something like this. How long did it take to install? That is where I always talk myself out of installing mini twists/braids. The time to do them for someone with dense hair.

@AgeinATL At the moment, I am unable to upload pictures here. I'm not sure what changed but it's been that way for a few weeks now. I put a few pictures up on my Tumblr (link should be in my signature) I promise I'm not trying to get views there...my Tumblr has nothing to do with hair but I don't have any other ways of sharing pictures. Hopefully by the end of the year, LHCF will get some act right and I can create an album under my profile.

On to your questions LOL

The install took a few hours. Not sure exactly how long but I watched 2 movies so I'm guessing 4 to 5 hours? I also didn't braid all the way to the ends...maybe leaving out 6 or more inches on each braid. I wanted them to resemble Senegalese twists so I rolled the ends on my magnetic rollers to straighten them. I didn't do twists because I want the style to last. My hair is pretty silky so twists would easily slip out and not withstand manipulating/washing etc. The top half is normal, back half fine...so braids work better for me. My hair is not dense at all so it may take longer to install for you. HTH

greenbees

Current length: Waist Length

Regimen: wash/deep condition 1x week, detangle on wash day and braid out on damp hair that has been moisturized

Exact goal length: Hip Length

Plans to help you achieve your goal: keep hair moisturized and low maintenance styles, probably start wearing the hair up, get back on my trimming game, stay away from the direct heat, continue to deep condition faithfully. Maybe starting back at wigs since the weather is a touch cooler where I live

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: Sometimes I'll pop a gummy multi-vitamin

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: coat with JBCO, put hair up/buns, give more

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I'm gonna have to adopt a dusting and/or S&D routine really soon, probably around 4x a year

Top 10 products:
  • The Mane Choice Shampoo
  • Aussie Moist Conditioner
  • Silk Dreams Vanilla Creme Moisture Dream
  • Silk Dreams Shea What Part Deux
  • Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
  • Qhemet Biologics Twist and Braid Butter
  • Soultanicals Knot Today
  • Virgin Coconut oil
  • Jamaican Black castor oil
  • A good, cheap conditioner

Attachments

• 2016-09-12 19.48.05.jpg
    2016-09-12 19.48.05.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 20160912_174734-1.jpg
    20160912_174734-1.jpg
    786.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

dannie85

I'm in!! Excited to see how long my hair can get. Have not been consistent with products and regi over the years, but have finally pinned down my go to products and regimen so this challenge came at a perfect time!

Current length: Just reached HL (stretched)

Regimen: Wash n Gos mainly
Rhassoul Clay cleanse
Deep condition (Mielle organics deep condish)
Oil rinse (avocado oil)
Leave-in (TGIN Green tea LI)
Moisturizer (Mielle Organics Hair milk)
Gel (Curls Blueberry bliss)

Exact goal length: Classic

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Just keep a consistent regimen (no switching regimen or products. My Pjism will not prevail this time round) and try to stay away from the straightening iron (Its just so tempting, but doing better this year).

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Vit C
Vit A&D combo
Alpha Lipoic Acic
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
Cod liver oil

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Not much, oil rinsing really seems to help keep them healthy along with adding a little extra oil to ends after leave-in.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
Usually just random dusting, but will try to do every 3-4mos for the challenge.

Top 10 products:
Rhassoul Clay cleanse
Mielle organics deep condish
TGIN Green tea leave-in
Mielle Organics Hair milk
Curls Blueberry bliss gel
Jessicurl Spirilicious gel
Mielle organics edges pomade
Avocado Oil
Argan oil

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm in!! Excited to see how long my hair can get. Have not been consistent with products and regi over the years, but have finally pinned down my go to products and regimen so this challenge came at a perfect time!

Current length: Just reached HL (stretched)

Regimen: Wash n Gos mainly
Rhassoul Clay cleanse
Deep condition (Mielle organics deep condish)
Oil rinse (avocado oil)
Leave-in (TGIN Green tea LI)
Moisturizer (Mielle Organics Hair milk)
Gel (Curls Blueberry bliss)

Exact goal length: Classic

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Just keep a consistent regimen (no switching regimen or products. My Pjism will not prevail this time round) and try to stay away from the straightening iron (Its just so tempting, but doing better this year).

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Vit C
Vit A&D combo
Alpha Lipoic Acic
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
Cod liver oil

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Not much, oil rinsing really seems to help keep them healthy along with adding a little extra oil to ends after leave-in.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
Usually just random dusting, but will try to do every 3-4mos for the challenge.

Top 10 products:
Rhassoul Clay cleanse
Mielle organics deep condish
TGIN Green tea leave-in
Mielle Organics Hair milk
Curls Blueberry bliss gel
Jessicurl Spirilicious gel
Mielle organics edges pomade
Avocado Oil
Argan oil

@dannie85 Welcome to the Challenge Sis! Love me some argan oil. I use it in a body oil that I make that also has rosehip seed oil and coconut oil as a base. It keeps my skin so youthful looking.

cravoecanela

I would like to join this challenge!

I very recently (i.e., this morning) trimmed off my ends because I've been experiencing A LOT of breakage. Now I'm back to mbl from waist length, which is fine. I've been waist length since late 2015, which means that the trim was long overdue. My hair already looks so much better, and when I run my fingers through it, I see no broken off ends.

Current length: MBL

Regimen: I wash and deep condition my hair every two weeks. I then put it in two strand twists.

Exact goal length: Hip Length, but more specifically, I'd like by twists to reach arm pit length. Right now they are slightly passed my collarbone.

Plans to help you achieve your goal: I'll keep doing what I always do: wash and deep condition twice a month, head massages at least three times a week, water down shampoo.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: An iron supplement

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: My twists are usually in a bun. I remoisturize my hair with conditioner and then black castor oil at least three times a week.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I don't have one right now, but I will try to follow the recommended schedule.

Top 10 products:
  • Shea moisture jamaican black castor oil leave in
  • Coconut oil/olive oil
  • Jamaican black castor oil
  • Cheap conditioner
  • Any shampoo
  • Ayurvedic powders (henna, brahmi, fenugreek, sometimes hibiscus)

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

I'm just scrolling through the lists of top 10 products. :look:

I'm thinking I may need to change up my product choices. I need a good quality shampoo and conditioner and leave in.

I'm thinking of using Carol's Daughter products. I like a few of her products already.

SmilingElephant

Let me update in this thread as I have made some changes this past week.

I am currently back to being Waist length. I trimmed off about 1.5-2 inches off.

I had so many split ends and fairy knots, my ends were straight yucky. I don't really know why.

Tomorrow I'm going to replenish my supply of Geritol (yes, it works well for me :yep: ) and Mielle Organics vitamins.

I really believe the vitamins work! I can tell when a vitamin works when my nails grow crazy fast! They helped thicken my hair up for sure! :)

If you all have any tips, please enlighten me. @lulu97 always has great tips, they are very much appreciated!

I have provided some pics:

Attachments

• 20161030_180634.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20161106_103035.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 39

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
My ability to upload pictures is very fickle and unpredictable so I'm gonna drop some starting pictures and my goals here while I'm able to upload.

I'm going to list my starting pictures and goals in the way I mostly wear my hair. My actual length is my avatar.

Mini braids starting length:

IMG_1798.JPG

My goal length in them:

IMG_1808.JPG

This is a set of Senegalese twists (with added hair) I rocked around 2 years ago. I would like my mini braids to look similar by the end of the challenge.

My current braidout:

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1628.JPG

It actually hits around APL if I don't curl the ends on rollers like I usually do. So honestly I already like how it looks now but a bit more volume wouldn't hurt.

Wash and go ponytail:

Wet

IMG_1367.JPG

Dry

IMG_1359.JPG

Both pics = no product. A true wash and go. I feel the same with this as I do with my braidout. I already like how it looks now...just wouldn't mind more volume.

Can't wait to see my progress in a year! I'm still pushing for Classic length overall but I moreso want to reach my goals in the way I mostly rock my hair.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I would like to join this challenge!

I very recently (i.e., this morning) trimmed off my ends because I've been experiencing A LOT of breakage. Now I'm back to mbl from waist length, which is fine. I've been waist length since late 2015, which means that the trim was long overdue. My hair already looks so much, and when I run my fingers through it, I see no broken off ends.

Current length: MBL

Regimen: I wash and deep condition my hair every two weeks. I then put it in two strand twists.

Exact goal length: Hip Length, but more specifically, I'd like by twists to reach arm pit length. Right now they are slightly passed my collarbone.

Plans to help you achieve your goal: I'll keep doing what I always do: wash and deep condition twice a month, head massages at least three times a week, water down shampoo.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: An iron supplement

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: My twists are usually in a bun. I remoisturize my hair with conditioner and then black castor oil at least three times a week.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: I don't have one right now, but I will try to follow the recommended schedule.

Top 10 products:
  • Shea moisture jamaican black castor oil leave in
  • Coconut oil/olive oil
  • Jamaican black castor oil
  • Cheap conditioner
  • Any shampoo
  • Ayurvedic powders (henna, brahmi, fenugreek, sometimes hibiscus)

@cravoecanela Welcome to the challenge Sis! I'm excited to watch you smash your hair goals!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Let me update in this thread as I have made some changes this past week.

I am currently back to being Waist length. I trimmed off about 1.5-2 inches off.

I had so many split ends and fairy knots, my ends were straight yucky. I don't really know why.

Tomorrow I'm going to replenish my supply of Geritol (yes, it works well for me :yep: ) and Mielle Organics vitamins.

I really believe the vitamins work! I can tell when a vitamin works when my nails grow crazy fast! They helped thicken my hair up for sure! :)

If you all have any tips, please enlighten me. @lulu97 always has great tips, they are very much appreciated!

I have provided some pics:

You are well on your way Sis! I have total faith that those knots/splits are a thing of the past.

greenbees

What is causing you to feel this way Sis?

I think part of me is just over it and kinda bored. I loved the way it looks long, but I dont like all the work I have to put into it. My hair feels like a chore and I just annoyed having to give up hours every weekend to take care of it. With a TWA, that's just a wash and go in the mornings. I thought about getting it done professionally but I find that I'm charged more due to the length.

No one around me wants me to cut it. My SO loves it long and I have the longest hair in my family, which is one reason why I've stayed away from the scissors so far.

I probably just need to put it away in wigs or extensions and allow myself to miss it.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I think part of me is just over it and kinda bored. I loved the way it looks long, but I dont like all the work I have to put into it. My hair feels like a chore and I just annoyed having to give up hours every weekend to take care of it. With a TWA, that's just a wash and go in the mornings. I thought about getting it done professionally but I find that I'm charged more due to the length.

No one around me wants me to cut it. My SO loves it long and I have the longest hair in my family, which is one reason why I've stayed away from the scissors so far.

I probably just need to put it away in wigs or extensions and allow myself to miss it.

I totally understand you! I get the same way sometimes and seem to go through spurts of this every summer. I call it the hair blues. I can share with you some things I do when I get into that same funk.

Put it away...long term. This past summer I had a sew-in installed and had it maintained at the salon. I literally didnt bother my hair for weeks. It was such a relief. I think your idea of using wigs/weaves is great.

Make a hair goal to help with boredom. It could be mastering a style, mastering a product choice, focusing on your ends etc.

Change your wash day to a weekday to enjoy your weekends more.

If the weekends are the only time you can do your hair, do it as soon as you wake up OR after you have done all activities that you have planned that day (evening). I'm a morning person and I wake up around 5 am on the weekends to watch the sunrise/meditate/pray/drink coffee on my deck...just have some me time before my house wakes. So once I have done my morning ritual, I start on my hair. I'm always finished long before my family gets up and we start our weekend activities.

Hope some of this helps. Just know it's a phase and it wont last forever! :2inlove: