Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
It's been about a month now of consistent supplement/vitamin taking, improved diet, and drinking half my body weight in ounces of water daily. Usually my nails mirror the health of my hair and they look great! Strong and growing quickly.

I also just feel better now that I'm back eating and drinking water like I should. Fitness wise I'm working out 6 to 7 days a week for an hour (weights 4 days, cardio/plyo the others) and seeing better results there as well. Two weeks ago I started meal prepping after procrastinating probably a year ago to do it, lol! I thought it'd be cumbersome but I actually really enjoy it!

After reading through that thread about Netwurks Xcel-21 I'm sooooo tempted to start using it! But I just started using Komaza's Aloe My Hair Growth Serum so will see how it goes with that first before switching....I'll buy some just in case though :biggrin: becuase I'm having scissor twitches and want to cut another 2 inches off where my ends are thin.

@caliscurls Love this post! Focusing on the inside will always net great results on the outside. My hair really took off when I improved my diet.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Hair still feels soft and moisturized from last week's wash and deep conditioning session...scalp still clean...so no need to wash this weekend. I wore it down once this past week (Thanksgiving) and the rest of those days it remained wrapped up under my silk scarf. I wore a turban over that for outings. The temperature is starting to drop in my neck of the woods....when that happens, I put my hair in hibernation mode.

Jade Feria

Count me in!!!!

1. Blood work is good, except iron deficiency, which has been an issue for me for as long as I remember (heavy periods). I take supplements for it.

2. Getting back into the habit of daily meditation and visualization!

3. I am a vegetarian, but as of late, was not eating enough healthy foods, especially veggies. Being a new mom, and being busy with baby, house chores, and work, I got into the habit of eating whatever I could prepare quickly - stuff like cereal, instant oatmeal, energy bars, and other snack foods (mainly salty and sweet), and ordering in. I recently did an overhaul of the kitchen and stocked the fridge with fruits, veggies, and healthier foods and snacks. I will also take the time to cook more. I also re-incorporated drinking lemon water in the mornings for alkalinity and overall health.

Current length: Between BSL and MBL

Regimen: I make my own lacefront wigs and wear them a good 95% of the time. Deep condition every 2 weeks or so (though lately I've been doing it every week to use up my current products and make room for the 2017 stash). Cowash once a week. Shampoo 1x - 2x per month. LOC method, braid, and slap on a wig. No direct heat/flat iron maybe 1-3x per year.

Exact goal length: Full, healthy hip length stretched.

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Continue my regimen, be consistent with supplements, exercise more, drink more water

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:

Manetabolism Plus (4 bottles, including what I just bought on BF sale), then switching to Beautifully Bamboo
Continuing Garden of Life Raw Prenatal Vits
Nature Made Iron - 65 mg, then switching back to Mega Food Blood Builder
Neocell Marine Collagen - 2000mg
Nature's Way Mega DHA - 1000mg
Maximum Living MineralRich
Beautifully Bamboo Tea
Probiotics

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Incorporating the LOC method really turned my hair around, so I will continue that. My hair stays braided and tucked in under the wigs, and when I wear my hair out, it's usually in a bun.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: As needed

Products:
Hairveda Sitrinillah DC
Harveda Vatika Frosting
Aphogee 2-Min
Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Kinky Curly Knot Today
The Mane Choice Butter

Starting photo:

Last edited:

mayoo

Current length: BSL
Below

Regimen:
Wash 1-2x weekly
DC when needed
Seal with Oil and Shea butter
Finger detangle
Protective styling 80% of the time

Exact goal length: TBL

Plans to help you achieve your goal:

Stick to my simple regimen!

None

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Spray with water everyday
Braid ends lightly

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
Dust when needed

Top 10 products:
Going to try and avoid PJing this year.
Sticking to a very simple regimen with 4 simple products
Oil
Unrefined Shea Butter
Moorket.com- Shampoo bar and deep conditioner

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20161207_112249166.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20161207_112249166.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 114

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Count me in!!!!

1. Blood work is good, except iron deficiency, which has been an issue for me for as long as I remember (heavy periods). I take supplements for it.

2. Getting back into the habit of daily meditation and visualization!

3. I am a vegetarian, but as of late, was not eating enough healthy foods, especially veggies. Being a new mom, and being busy with baby, house chores, and work, I got into the habit of eating whatever I could prepare quickly - stuff like cereal, instant oatmeal, energy bars, and other snack foods (mainly salty and sweet), and ordering in. I recently did an overhaul of the kitchen and stocked the fridge with fruits, veggies, and healthier foods and snacks. I will also take the time to cook more. I also re-incorporated drinking lemon water in the mornings for alkalinity and overall health.

Current length: Between BSL and MBL

Regimen: I make my own lacefront wigs and wear them a good 95% of the time. Deep condition every 2 weeks or so (though lately I've been doing it every week to use up my current products and make room for the 2017 stash). Cowash once a week. Shampoo 1x - 2x per month. LOC method, braid, and slap on a wig. No direct heat/flat iron maybe 1-3x per year.

Exact goal length: Full, healthy hip length stretched.

Plans to help you achieve your goal: Continue my regimen, be consistent with supplements, exercise more, drink more water

Manetabolism Plus (4 bottles, including what I just bought on BF sale), then switching to Beautifully Bamboo
Continuing Garden of Life Raw Prenatal Vits
Nature Made Iron - 65 mg, then switching back to Mega Food Blood Builder
Neocell Marine Collagen - 2000mg
Nature's Way Mega DHA - 1000mg
Maximum Living MineralRich
Beautifully Bamboo Tea
Probiotics

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: Incorporating the LOC method really turned my hair around, so I will continue that. My hair stays braided and tucked in under the wigs, and when I wear my hair out, it's usually in a bun.

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine: As needed

Products:
Hairveda Sitrinillah DC
Harveda Vatika Frosting
Aphogee 2-Min
Joico Moisture Recovery Balm
Kinky Curly Knot Today
The Mane Choice Butter

Current length: BSL
Below

Regimen:
Wash 1-2x weekly
DC when needed
Seal with Oil and Shea butter
Finger detangle
Protective styling 80% of the time

Exact goal length: TBL

Stick to my simple regimen!

None

Spray with water everyday
Braid ends lightly

Dust when needed

Top 10 products:
Going to try and avoid PJing this year.
Sticking to a very simple regimen with 4 simple products
Oil
Unrefined Shea Butter
Moorket.com- Shampoo bar and deep conditioner

Welcome to the challenge Ladies! So good to have you on board!! Woot woot!!!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:rose: Mini challenge starting now until the last day of March 2017. The goal here is to build healthy habits that will stick. I don't want to overwhelm anyone so the challenges will be slow but steady.

There are 3 options. You can choose 1, 2 or all. I challenge you to try all.

1. Eat 1 salad a week. You can put anything on it to make it taste to your liking however it must include some form of protein and DARK leafy greens. Not that wimpy iceberg lettuce...I'm talking kale, spinach, chard, arugula etc. The darker the greens, the better!

2. Exercise once a week for at least 20 minutes doing something that will get your heart rate up. It could be walking, running, any form of cardio or HITT cardio.

3. Hide your ends 5 days a week. Mon thru Friday is a good template yet still leaving room to wear your hair out on the weekends.

Check in at least once a month to let us know how you are doing. Also please subscribe to the thread so you can get updates when there are posts. (That seems to be the only way I stay informed these days as I really only think about coming on here on wash days when I'm actually doing something to my hair).

So what's your challenge fancy? Which are you committing to for the next few months?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
For this mini challenge round, I am committing to all 3 challenges.

1. I love salads! My favorite salad of choice is simple. Rotisserie chicken, cucumbers, red onions, baby kale and baby spinach. A little buttermilk ranch on top.

2. I haven't done cardio in months. :look: I dropped it once I discovered Pilates. However I am committing to doing it once a week on Monday and Pilates on Wednesday and Friday. My cardio of choice will be HITT, done at home following one of Fitness Blender on YouTube videos.

3. I hide my hair the entire winter.

trclemons

:rose: Mini challenge starting now until the last day of March 2017. The goal here is to build healthy habits that will stick. I don't want to overwhelm anyone so the challenges will be slow but steady.

1. Eat 1 salad a week. You can put anything on it to make it taste to your liking however it must include some form of protein and DARK leafy greens. Not that wimpy iceberg lettuce...I'm talking kale, spinach, chard, arugula etc. The darker the greens, the better!

2. Exercise once a week for at least 20 minutes doing something that will get your heart rate up. It could be walking, running, any form of cardio or HITT cardio.

3. Hide your ends 5 days a week. Mon thru Friday is a good template yet still leaving room to wear your hair out on the weekends.

Check in at least once a month to let us know how you are doing. Also please subscribe to the thread so you can get updates when there are posts. (That seems to be the only way I stay informed these days as I really only think about coming on here on wash days when I'm actually doing something to my hair).

So what's your challenge fancy? Which are you committing to for the next few months?
I'm in for all 3. I just bought salad fixings yesterday and I wear wigs for Fall and Winter. I haven't been exercising lately, but I definitely need to. I will check in with weekly updates.

Daina

I'm in for the first 2 for sure! I eat spinach and kale everyday topped with grilled chicken for lunch during the week. I also make and drink green smoothies. Cardio will be tough but one day a week is doable. Will try to walk a few days a week at work and 1 day a week play basketball with my son.

I hide my ends 2-3 weeks out of the month by bunning or doing a french braid and tucking so I will be partially doing step 3.

Great idea for a mini-challenge @lulu97!

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper

I'm in for all 3. Even though it maybe a week or two before I get my first salad in. I've got tonsillitis and it hurts to swallow so nothing but soups and juices for a while.

beauti

Great idea! @lulu97 I'm also in for all 3.
I can definitely eat salad once a week and your rotisserie salad sounds delicious.

I used to work our several days a week so I can certainly do once a week. hopefully it will help me get back to several days a week.

I'm home everyday so my hair is always in my plats pinned up and if I have to go out I just put my wig on so this is not a problem.

NCHairDiva

WAIST LENGTH 2019

*** I am all in. I will be doing all 3. im very excited and am doing some new things this month so this will be a perfect addition to my regimen . ... Im excited to be doing something!

caliscurls

I'm in for all three:
  • Salad: I'll add this to my meal prepping..broccoli and chicken is starting to get old :look: (but I do see the diffference in my abs)
  • Workout: I'm a fitness nut so love this. During my regular schedule I get about 2 days of cardio in and 4 days of lifting. I may switch to 3 days of cardio and 3 days of lifting. @lulu97 The Fitness Blender videos are great! They're one of my favorite fitness channels.
  • Hide Hair: Since I've cut 3 inches in the past 3 months I'm definitely in here and need to hide my scissors along with it.

Jade Feria

I'm in for the mini-challenge too!

1. I love salads! This part is good for me because lately I've been buying more greens, but end up throwing them out because they go bad before I get a chance to eat them. Since I'm vegetarian, I will continue eating my salads with my meals, where most of my protein tends to come from.

2. I definitely need to work out more. I'll check out those YT vids

3. My hair is in wigs all winter.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse

I'm in for 1 & 3. If I get a gym membership I'll be able to do all 3! Dh and I have been talking about it. Oh how I miss the elliptical and stationary bike:strong:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@lulu97, this thread is so positive and inspiring! I love that health is a huge part of it. :smile:

I'm glad any length is welcome. I have a good ways to go, but I feel that reading through this thread, learning from folks here, and developing knowledge and good habits NOW--along the way to my ultimate length--will serve me well. :smile:

Current length:
I ended up needing a major trim this November. :cry4: I wasn't ready! I think the culprit was stylists ripping through my hair over the years when combing it. I thought as a "natural" I was safe from too many split ends. I've since learned a LOT about hair ends care and split ends, and I feel ready to keep the latter minimized. (I know that some splitting is natural/inevitable.)

Photos enlarge upon click: (1) a section of hair showing split ends, (2) length PRE-trim, and (3) length POST-trim (current length)

WP_20161117_027.jpg WP_20161117_025.jpg WP_20161117_029.jpg

Regimen:
  • I do a super stream-lined version of the max hydration method. NOTE: Some time this year I plan to trial The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line and the 22nd Century Natural Woman products, thus during those times my regimen may change a bit.
  • On wash/cleanse day, I first detangle at the sink with a coconut-oil-containing prepoo (Soultanicals Hair Glide rocks, but I don't know if I'll repurchase) OR with SM's hipo masque shower-steamed in, with oil added on top for detangling. After detangling, I cleanse the hair in twists.
  • About every 7 days I do a moisturizing DC on dried hair with WET heat (steamer).
  • I do a protein DC on dried hair with either DRY heat or no extra heat, when a protein DC is needed. (I listen to my hair instead of just applying protein on some schedule regardless of the hair's feel/needs/look).
  • Apply Netwurks spray and custard (these are hair health and growth aids).
  • Due to the recent trim, my easy and protective well-gelled and pony-tailed twist-out no longer works (hair not long enough). Thus I am currently mainly wearing well-gelled puffs (so far they aren't tangling too much) or twist-outs. I have plans to learn the following protective styles, and I'm so excited: this African thread-out method, flat-twisting, and DIY clip-ins (I plan to wear them over twists).
Exact goal length:
I'll take hip length when it comes! :smile: First, though, full bra strap length would be amazing! :smile:

• Coming to do my water-drinking, diet, fitness, and supplement-taking activities naturally--as a matter of course and with pleasure/gratitude/joy.
  • Truly prioritizing my water-drinking, diet, fitness, and supplement-taking activities over the many distractions there can be.
  • Doing the activities I outlined in the Luscious Ends 2017 challenge thread.
  • Keeping my hair stretched (this video has me CONVINCED and motivated!)
Iron
Multivitamin
Collagen
Daily morning detox drink: ACV, lemon juice, red pepper, honey, ginger, cinnamon, water

Once I run out of some of my current brands, I hope to add and/or switch over to: Mega Food Skin, Nails, and Hair; cod liver oil; and either Maximum Vibrance or Green Vibrance.

• Current:
    • Only remove knots with scissors . . . and only use scissors designed for cutting hair. (Otherwise a new split is simply formed higher up above the knot's removal, I've learned.)
    • Use Kent 16t seamless comb when detangling.
    • Saturate ends with mixture of Netwurks Coconut Custard, castor oil, and jojoba oil.
    • Wear ends heavily gelled or stretched to prevent their tangling, in turn reducing mechanical damage that would have come from more detangling.
    • Trying some protective styles (such as those I mentioned above) that keep the ends stretched and/or tucked away.
    • Assess ends after 3 months of using my detangling method to see whether it causes any significant mechanical damage.
  • Might try:
    • The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian ends serum (if I can talk myself into the cost/ounce and only after I've given my Netwurks/oil mix a good go)

I'm going to go in to the salon every 3 months to get a blow dry to get my ends assessed. I'll aim to trim 1/4 an inch max at each visit. I was a fast grower earlier and life when hair was relaxed (and when I was physically healthier), and I think I'm still a fast grower. Because that 2+ inch trim in November had me shook for a second, I don't evah want to have split ends that long again.

Top 10 products:

Update to my top 10 products (list last updated on May 22, 2017):

1. Detangler: Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee or Soultanicals Slip-N-Slide Hair Glide
  2. Strands cleanser: 22nd Century Shampoo Bar
  3. Scalp cleanser: Cantu Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
  4. Chelator (for use about once a month): HairPrint Chelating Shampoo (ordered, not yet tried)
  5. Balancing deep conditioner: Camille Rose Naturals Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment
  6. Protein treatment: Currently trialing Colorful Protein Neutral Filler to see if it can replace my Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener
  7. "Protein-free" deep conditioner: DIY avocado, baby banana food, honey, and olive oil DC
  8. Liquid: aloe Very juice
  9. Oil: jojoba oil . . . or the DIY CurlyProverbz Hair Growth Oil using Nupur 9 henna and the Mango and Lime JBCO with vitamins A, D, and E
  10. Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today (because the gel below needs it)
  11. Gel: Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Old List:

• Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture-seal Masque (softens my hair--no matter what state it's in--like nothing else has)
    • Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener
    • Netwurks spray
    • Netwurks custard
    • jojoba oil
    • castor oil
    • for the max hydration method, any one of the various rhassoul clay -containing cleansers/masques/bars I have
    • Shea Moisture Clear Start Shampoo (used quite sparingly, when a clean slate is needed)
    • DevaCurl Decadence One Condition (may get bumped by The Mane Choice 3-in-1 conditioner . . . still trialing it)
    • DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@lulu97, thanks for the mini challenges. I feel like water, diet, and health are way more important to hair health than I ever realized.

The mini challenges reminded me: Because I've started eating Paleo again, I finally got around to trying your healthy bread-in-a-mug recipe. It's fast! Thanks for sharing it!

Is it okay to share healthy tips, recipes, etc. here?

The best-tasting Paleo-friendly "bread" recipe I've found-to-date is here: http://www.joyfulabode.com/paleo-sandwich-rounds/.

(Enlarges upon click)
1EasyPaleoSandwichRounds.png

I use half as much salt (like the one commentor suggested), and I bake them in two of these hamburger bun pans. The recipe is easy and fast. I end up with 12 "slices" of "bread." Tastes good, and I don't miss bread at all. Tastes a little coconut-y if you use coconut-tasting coconut oil. The fix is to use non-coconut-tasting coconut oil made especially for such baking. I refrigerate the rounds after they cool and use them all week for hamburgers, sandwiches, etc.

I never thought I could survive without bread until this "bread." :smile: Take care!

Last edited: