Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Current length:
Bsl (I'll post a starting pic after my December bkt)

Regimen:
I do a bkt and trim every 2-3 months
I usually keep my hair in several braids underneath a wig
I wash, condition, straighten and everything in those braids, because working in sections makes things easier for me.
I wash or cowash at least once a week followed by a protein or moisturizing dc

Exact goal length:
I want full hip length:yay:

Plans to help you achieve your goal:
The bkt really has helped tremendously with detangling and retention, so I'll keep up with those. I will also keep my ends protected as much as possible.
My health comes first, so clean eating and exercise are priorites right now. I drink about a gallon of water daily, I consistnently get over 12k steps a day and I log all of my meals/snacks for accountability.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking:
Niacin and Chromium GTF for weight loss, Women's One a day, Purvana Hair skin nails and occasionally 5HTP for my mood and relaxation

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy:
Moisturize daily with Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth cream and seal as needed with argan oil, coconut oil or evoo

Trimming/Dusting/S&D'ing schedule/routine:
(I suggest you start off with a 1/4 inch dusting. Going forward, trim the same amount every 6 months. We will be working a lot on our ends during this challenge, so I plan on keeping them in tip top shape)
My last 1/2 inch trim was in August. I plan to trim 1/4 inch after my December bkt.

Top 10 products: Please note these are the products that you intend on using the duration of the challenge. So list your tried and true. Yes you are allowed to use other products but I want to know your foundation products. The ones that are going to rock with you to hip length and beyond.
Kerastase Curl Ideal Cleansing conditioner
Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor with essential oils added for cowashing
Uncurly Keratin treatment and shampoos
Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth cream
Suave Keratin Infusions heat protectant
Kerastase Therapiste mask (protein)
Kerastase Chroma Riche mask (moisture for color treated hair)
Kerastase Densite mask (thickening dc)
Kerastase Masquintense (deep moisture mask)
Nioxin treatment 1 scalp spray

Aphogee 2 minute and Chroma Riche are my day ones. I used those back in my relaxer days and I'm still impressed.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I just placed an order with House of Beauty for that new Netwurks (sp)? spray a few minutes ago after receiving some rollers from them in record time. It should be here sometime next week, however I dont plan on starting it right away.

I'm going to start it either on Nov 1st or on Jan 1st. I kinda want to wait until Jan because I wont have my hair straight until Christmas and wanna be able to have accurate results in my length check pictures.

Classic length I'm coming for ya boo!

Colocha

acne cream and afro dreams
Current length: BSL 13.5 inches as of August 2016. (Set back from 14.5 inches in May due to rogue hairstylist.)
I don't take LC photos because even when I straighten my hair never gets 100% straight, but I may post one showing how my hair hangs.

Regimen:
  • Wash and twist into 24ish twists once every three weeks. Pre-poo, exfoliate scalp, shampoo, protein treat, deep condition. ACV rinse as needed.
  • Twists go into a bun.
  • GHE every other day.
  • Moisturise and seal (moisturiser, water, oil) on days with no GHE.
  • Once weekly moisturise and seal with added leave-in and a heavy butter.
  • Hair may be in a twistout for last two days of week 3.

Exact goal length: Full HL. About 20 inches. I consistently retain 3-4 inches a year, so I may be able to hit this by the end of 2018 if all goes well.

Continue with regular hair regimen. Clean scalp twice-thrice weekly with baby wipes and tea tree oil. (Originally did this once weekly.)
If hair has not retained an inch by November, purchase Netwurks 21.

List any vitamins/supplements you are currently taking:
VitaminWorld Ultra Woman Daily Supplement (contains Biotin).
VitaminWorld Omega 3 Fish Oil.

Continue to keep them tucked away.
Trim off visible splits that I see when M&Sing.
On once weekly full M&Sing, twirl ends of twists with heavy butter to ensure they stay uniform and sealed.

Trim ends of twists and broken hairs as seen/as needed.
If I stretch a twist and it tapers out excessively, I cut off the taper.
This can lead to dusting anywhere between once monthly (like now because of the setback) or once every 3 months (usual).

Top 10 products:
Shampoo:
Preferred: PK Moisture Extreme. Currently using Keracare 1st Lather due to convenience.
Pre-poo: Coconut Oil + PK Elasticizer Extreme
Scalp Exfoliator: PK Scalp Exfoliating Mask
Deep Conditioner: Hairveda Sitrinillah
Protein Conditioner: Unflavored gelatin dissolved in water, blow dried in.
Detangling Oil: Coconut Oil
Sealing Oil: Preferred: Butters N' Bars Amla Oil Mix. Currently using Coconut Oil due to convenience.
Twisting Cream: CRN Almond Jai
Moisturiser: Oyin Hair Dew
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today

Apparently I use exactly 10 products, lol. I also do Henna treatments with catnip tea whenever I'm at home (once every 3-4 months).

----

Disclaimer: I may not be able to complete the three mandates, but I'm posting in hopes I can. Currently away at medical school so stress is through the roof and eating well and exercising are way in the back seats of my life. Whenever I go home I get myself together, but I'm in school most of the year.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Current length: BSL 13.5 inches as of August 2016. (Set back from 14.5 inches in May due to rogue hairstylist.)
I don't take LC photos because even when I straighten my hair never gets 100% straight, but I may post one showing how my hair hangs.

Regimen:
  • Wash and twist into 24ish twists once every three weeks. Pre-poo, exfoliate scalp, shampoo, protein treat, deep condition. ACV rinse as needed.
  • Twists go into a bun.
  • GHE every other day.
  • Moisturise and seal (moisturiser, water, oil) on days with no GHE.
  • Once weekly moisturise and seal with added leave-in and a heavy butter.
  • Hair may be in a twistout for last two days of week 3.

Exact goal length: Full HL. About 20 inches. I consistently retain 3-4 inches a year, so I may be able to hit this by the end of 2018 if all goes well.

Continue with regular hair regimen. Clean scalp twice-thrice weekly with baby wipes and tea tree oil. (Originally did this once weekly.)
If hair has not retained an inch by November, purchase Netwurks 21.

List any vitamins/supplements you are currently taking:
VitaminWorld Ultra Woman Daily Supplement (contains Biotin).
VitaminWorld Omega 3 Fish Oil.

Continue to keep them tucked away.
Trim off visible splits that I see when M&Sing.
On once weekly full M&Sing, twirl ends of twists with heavy butter to ensure they stay uniform and sealed.

Trim ends of twists and broken hairs as seen/as needed.
If I stretch a twist and it tapers out excessively, I cut off the taper.
This can lead to dusting anywhere between once monthly (like now because of the setback) or once every 3 months (usual).

Top 10 products:
Shampoo:
Preferred: PK Moisture Extreme. Currently using Keracare 1st Lather due to convenience.
Pre-poo: Coconut Oil + PK Elasticizer Extreme
Scalp Exfoliator: PK Scalp Exfoliating Mask
Deep Conditioner: Hairveda Sitrinillah
Protein Conditioner: Unflavored gelatin dissolved in water, blow dried in.
Detangling Oil: Coconut Oil
Sealing Oil: Preferred: Butters N' Bars Amla Oil Mix. Currently using Coconut Oil due to convenience.
Twisting Cream: CRN Almond Jai
Moisturiser: Oyin Hair Dew
Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today

Apparently I use exactly 10 products, lol. I also do Henna treatments with catnip tea whenever I'm at home (once every 3-4 months).

----

Disclaimer: I may not be able to complete the three mandates, but I'm posting in hopes I can. Currently away at medical school so stress is through the roof and eating well and exercising are way in the back seats of my life. Whenever I go home I get myself together, but I'm in school most of the year.

@Colocha Shole can! Welcome to the challenge Sis! Maybe hanging with us and chatting about something outside of school will help ease your stress. As far as eating: do the best you can with what you have. That's more than enough with whats already on your plate. Sending well wishes in your medical schooling.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Pic of the back of my open bottle.

@MileHighDiva Thanks for posting the ingredients Sis! This question is for you as well as @KinksAndInk and @Daina

How often are you using the spray?

My plan is to dilute it with Rosehip seed oil and argan oil. (Like 3/4 growth spray to 1/4 oil) and only spray 3 times a week when it's closest to my wash day. So 3 days on 4 days off. I usually wash on Sunday so I'll spray Wendsday, Thursday and Friday (once a day) and let my scalp breathe and rest until that next week. I usually don't put anything on my scalp so I don't wanna send it into shock. LOL

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
@lulu97 I try use it twice a day. Some days I wake up at 5am so I can't be bothered but I make sure to spray nightly no matter what. I don't dilute it or follow up with anything. I do spray Yerba concentrate before I spray this. And I do a 2-5 minute massage inbetween each product depending on how much time I have.

beauti

Current length: BSB, will post starting pic December 31, 2016
(Pictures are encouraged but not required)

Regimen: (new) shampoo and dc once a month. Alternate between wigs and weaves all winter. Wash and go's in summer.

Exact goal length: fingers crossed I reach hip length by December 2017, June 2018 the latest.

Plans to help you achieve your goal: I noticed that as the years go by I've been slowly keeping it extremely simple. For this challenge I will continue on that streak: touching my hair as infrequently as possible: wash, dc, manipulate my hair once a month. Spritz my cornrows daily. Besides, I have a 9 month old son and he gives me a good 20 minutes to do my hair!

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: will update as I intend to start taking a few

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: I will keep my ends oiled with vitamin E oil from the capsules as its very thick and coats my ends.

(I suggest you start off with a 1/4 inch dusting. Going forward, trim the same amount every 6 months. We will be working a lot on our ends during this challenge, so I plan on keeping them in tip top shape)
I actually just did a thorough trimming a couple days ago. I will trim every 6 months as opposed to every year like I used to.

Top 10 products: Please note these are the products that you intend on using the duration of the challenge. So list your tried and true. Yes you are allowed to use other products but I want to know your foundation products. The ones that are going to rock with you to hip length and beyond.
This is hard! I use so many different products... Ok I'm gonna have to say Shea moisture manuka honey dc is a staple. Sweet almond oil and vitamin e oil. Moisturizers and leave ins....most of the time I make my own.

We will be having mini 6 month challenges to keep the thread interesting and engaging. A check in will be due after each one is complete.

Check in dates:
Last day of June 2017
Last day of December 2017
Last day of June 2018
Final check in--Last week of 2018
***Pictures are required at the final check in****

Now let's get to growing and retaining. Are you with me?! YAAASSSS!! :spinning:

Daina

@lulu97, I use once daily at night and I transferred mine to an applicator bottle with a nozzle for ease of applying. The only time I will break is when my hair is straight like now. Using twice per day was too much for me made my scalp itch. I also follow each application with my oil mix to help with scalp itchiness.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
@lulu97 I try use it twice a day. Some days I wake up at 5am so I can't be bothered but I make sure to spray nightly no matter what. I don't dilute it or follow up with anything. I do spray Yerba concentrate before I spray this. And I do a 2-5 minute massage inbetween each product depending on how much time I have.

@lulu97, right now I'm on a break from using it. Three weeks on, one week off. When in use I only spray my scalp once daily.

@lulu97, I use once daily at night and I transferred mine to an applicator bottle with a nozzle for ease of applying. The only time I will break is when my hair is straight like now. Using twice per day was too much for me made my scalp itch. I also follow each application with my oil mix to help with scalp itchiness.

Thanks for the feedback Ladies! :2inlove:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm just here for the pictures :look: :morepics::needpics:

@stephanie75miller The challenge has not even started yet! :lachen:Also pictures are encouraged but not required until the end of the challenge. That way the focus will remain on health always.

Now you are more than welcome to bless us with a few pics to tie us over. My rule is you can't request pics and not drop a few of your own. So let's see em! :bat: LOL

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
@stephanie75miller The challenge has not even started yet! :lachen:Also pictures are encouraged but not required until the end of the challenge. That way the focus will remain on health always.

Now you are more than welcome to bless us with a few pics to tie us over. My rule is you can't request pics and not drop a few of your own. So let's see em! :bat: LOL
I have baby hair compared to all of yours. I wish it was as long as yours.

FoxxyLocs

I'm all set with the health and wellness stuff.

Current length: between waist and hip

Regimen: shampoo 1-2x/month, DC with each wash, blow dry and flat iron on low heat or braid for braid out. Dust ends every 6-8 weeks, trim as needed (usually once or twice a year)

Exact goal length: hip with full u shaped hemline

Plans to help you achieve your goal: just continue my current regimen which has been working fine. no new stylists are allowed to touch my hair. that's always what causes my setbacks.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: just prenatals

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: I keep my ends tucked away in a bun or under my scarf or bonnet unless I'm going somewhere (church, out to dinner, etc.), but when I'm at home or work my hair is usually up and out of the way. I prefer low manipulation over protective styling. I stay away from styles that I know cause knots and splits - no wash and goes, no puffs. My hair is always blow dried, braided, or twisted after washing and I use rollers on the ends to stretch them.

I dust less than 1/4 of an inch every 2 months. very small trims. I S&D probably every time my hair is straight. I rarely have trouble with split ends and knots.

Top 10 products: Elucence MB shampoo
Silk dreams vanilla silk DC
Elasta QP wrap foam for my braid outs
Eco Styler Krystal gel or Hicks edge control for my edges
coconut or argan oil when my hair is straight
still looking for a good moisturizer - right now I'm trying out Qhemets A&O HC - I like it so far

trclemons

CURRENT LENGTH: MBL (see avatar picture)

REGIMEN

DAILY: Scalp massage, GHE & LCOB.
WEEKLY: Pre-poo overnight with AVJ spritz, DC under a heat cap, CW length, scalp scrub, reconstruct, R/O with ACV & moisturizing conditioner OR Pre-poo overnight with AVJ spritz & oil, DC under a heat cap, shampoo scalp, CW length, reconstruct, R/O with ACV & moisturizing conditioner.
MONTHLY: Use detox DC or add detox to DC, mix ayurvedic powder with DC & invert the 1st week.
FALL/WINTER: Protective style with wigs.
SPRING/SUMMER: Low manipulation styles (ponytail wigs, 2 strand twists, wash 'n go's, puffs, buns, twist/braid outs & updo's).

NOTE: I alternate between moisturizing & protein liquid leave-ins and DCs.

EXACT GOAL LENGTH: TBL

PLANS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOAL: Maintain my hair regimen and become consistent with a healthy lifestyle.

LIST ANY VITAMINS/SUPPLEMENTS YOU ARE TAKING: I take a multivitamin & vitamin D daily.

YOUR ENDS CARE REGIMEN TO KEEP THEM HEALTHY: I butter/oil them daily.

TRIMMING/DUSTING/S&Ding SCHEDULE/ROUTINE: I dust quarterly by the lunar calendar, if needed.

TOP 10 PRODUCTS: I am a product junkie, so I will be using a variety of products during this challenge.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm all set with the health and wellness stuff.

Current length: between waist and hip

Regimen: shampoo 1-2x/month, DC with each wash, blow dry and flat iron on low heat or braid for braid out. Dust ends every 6-8 weeks, trim as needed (usually once or twice a year)

Exact goal length: hip with full u shaped hemline

Plans to help you achieve your goal: just continue my current regimen which has been working fine. no new stylists are allowed to touch my hair. that's always what causes my setbacks.

List any vitamins/supplements you are taking: just prenatals

Your ends care regimen to keep them healthy: I keep my ends tucked away in a bun or under my scarf or bonnet unless I'm going somewhere (church, out to dinner, etc.), but when I'm at home or work my hair is usually up and out of the way. I prefer low manipulation over protective styling. I stay away from styles that I know cause knots and splits - no wash and goes, no puffs. My hair is always blow dried, braided, or twisted after washing and I use rollers on the ends to stretch them.

I dust less than 1/4 of an inch every 2 months. very small trims. I S&D probably every time my hair is straight. I rarely have trouble with split ends and knots.

Top 10 products: Elucence MB shampoo
Silk dreams vanilla silk DC
Elasta QP wrap foam for my braid outs
Eco Styler Krystal gel or Hicks edge control for my edges
coconut or argan oil when my hair is straight
still looking for a good moisturizer - right now I'm trying out Qhemets A&O HC - I like it so far

@FoxxyLocs Welcome to the challenge Sis! I like the honey balm by Qhemet. My ends feel so good after using it.