Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

Daina

I have no idea what’s going on with my hair anymore. I did a length check, and it’s normal. Well normal concerning length, and no breakage.

I’m just pondering what’s going on from the damp phase to the completely dry phase. Maybe it’s just products causing my strands to clump together when damp, along with my new growth behaving differently than my relaxed parts.

I took this right at the Beginning of May.
via Imgflip Meme Generator

It looks like the middle of my hair is darn near disappearing from the middle going out to the sides. It is damp, but that’s the only time I’m able to get an accurate length check when my hair is stretched. I get a lot of new growth from month to month so I actually notice shrinkage from my roots.

I took this Monday
This is my length not stretched out. Not a huge difference, but it’s still noticeable. I didn’t blow dry it, I just stood in front of a fan and separated my hair with my hands and applied some almond oil.

What gives? In this picture my hemline looks almost like it’s got a fresh blunt cut. In the first picture it looks ridiculously damaged. I guess it’s just how damp hair looks sometimes? With the clumping and whatnot before the hair separates as it dries?

It’s a bit of a relief, because I thought I was regressing instead of progressing.

Wow that is such a striking difference! Like you said maybe the first pic looks like that because of the way it air dried?

PlanetCybertron

Wow that is such a striking difference! Like you said maybe the first pic looks like that because of the way it air dried?

I think you’re right. I’m thinking it’s got something to do with products in general. The second picture I washed like I usually would with a deep condition, conditioner, shampoo, all that, but after that I didn’t really put any leave ins in, just let it fluff up and oiled it.

First one is with leave ins and before I detangled.

Daina

Awwwww thank you Sis! Henna/Indigo has been really good to me and gives me a shade of black that I have never seemed to be able to accomplish with store bought color. I've been using it for around 16 months now and I do believe it gets deeper and richer with multiple compound applications.

What's your henna/indigo mix? What does it contain? Do you use with oils and conditioner or straight henna and indigo?

NaturalShe94

Today is the first day Ive taken my hair out of hair out of hair jail since my trim. It is in so much better shape than a few weeks ago! I went to the beach and I decided I wanted my hair out and free! I just had to take pics, I was definitely feelin’ myself and my hair lol! I went swimming a few times and came back up from under the water and a guy said “wow, the first time Ive ever seen a black mermaid.” lol! My boyfriend mentioned how my hair grew back so fast. Im tellin’ ya, its that summer weather!

The two little hairs thats hanging down is because I wet that part after my hair dried just to pull it down and length check. Its back at W’hip length.
5305C04F-F02E-4493-8D73-5C1E9F5B3A20.jpeg
E9BCC161-C347-4C9C-BD97-03D25CBB4FCC.jpeg
C9B32470-0AF8-4CED-A846-FD3765AD0941.jpeg

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
What's your henna/indigo mix? What does it contain? Do you use with oils and conditioner or straight henna and indigo?

I've tried a few ways, but just warm water is always the best. I however usually make a big pot of rosemary tea though simply cause I like the smell and I figure since I'm leaving it on for a long time...That I might as well get the benefits of the rosemary too.

My routine is (on dry, unwashed hair):

Jamila Henna mixed with warm tea. Leave on a minimum of 4 hours.
Rinse well

Indigo mixed with any leftover tea I have. (if I used it all on the henna, I just use warm water). I read somewhere thay adding in sea salt helps the indigo stick better, so I always put in a small pinch. Leave it on a minimum of 4 hours.
Rinse well.

Deep condition overnight.
Instead of rinsing the deep conditioner out the next day; I simply just remove the plastic cap, put my hair in a high bun and allow the deep conditioner to turn into my leave in. I wash/condition as normal after 3 to 5 days.
@Daina

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Today is the first day Ive taken my hair out of hair out of hair jail since my trim. It is in so much better shape than a few weeks ago! I went to the beach and I decided I wanted my hair out and free! I just had to take pics, I was definitely feelin’ myself and my hair lol! I went swimming a few times and came back up from under the water and a guy said “wow, the first time Ive ever seen a black mermaid.” lol! My boyfriend mentioned how my hair grew back so fast. Im tellin’ ya, its that summer weather!

The two little hairs thats hanging down is because I wet that part after my hair dried just to pull it down and length check. Its back at W’hip length.
View attachment 431805
View attachment 431807
View attachment 431809
:bdance::clap::clapping::click:
Gorgeous!

Daina

I've tried a few ways, but just warm water is always the best. I however usually make a big pot of rosemary tea though simply cause I like the smell and I figure since I'm leaving it on for a long time...That I might as well get the benefits of the rosemary too.

My routine is (on dry, unwashed hair):

Jamila Henna mixed with warm tea. Leave on a minimum of 4 hours.
Rinse well

Indigo mixed with any leftover tea I have. (if I used it all on the henna, I just use warm water). I read somewhere thay adding in sea salt helps the indigo stick better, so I always put in a small pinch. Leave it on a minimum of 4 hours.
Rinse well.

Deep condition overnight.
Instead of rinsing the deep conditioner out the next day; I simply just remove the plastic cap, put my hair in a high bun and allow the deep conditioner to turn into my leave in. I wash/condition as normal after 3 to 5 days.
@Daina

Thanks sis @ElevatedEnergy! Very simple routine sounds like. Is there any particular brand of indigo you use?

Daina

View attachment 431805
View attachment 431807
View attachment 431809

You hair looks really good, curls poppin'!

SmilingElephant

Hey Ladies!

Loving all of the photos up in here! :clap:

I, on the other hand...I don't even fully understand what is going on with my hair. I have been living real student life for the past year and a half, and somewhere between the past Fall and Spring semesters, my hair looks like :censored:!!! It's nowhere near the fullness that it used to be, and my shrinkage looks like it quadrupled. I hate even looking at it. I don't even know where to begin. I have one more semester to go...I'm just about done with this Summer semester. Can you ladies suggest something I could grab on the go, nutrition wise?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my nutrition, I don't eat fruits and veggies like I should, and had been doing due to my lifestyle. Is there any shake mixes or something you all can recommend? I'm even noticing weakness in my nails, and as I type this, I feel dizzy, almost like a mild vertigo.

I'm falling apart! :help:

PlanetCybertron

Hey Ladies!

I, on the other hand...I don't even fully understand what is going on with my hair. I have been living real student life for the past year and a half, and somewhere between the past Fall and Spring semesters, my hair looks like :censored:!!! It's nowhere near the fullness that it used to be, and my shrinkage looks like it quadrupled. I hate even looking at it. I don't even know where to begin. I have one more semester to go...I'm just about done with this Summer semester. Can you ladies suggest something I could grab on the go, nutrition wise?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my nutrition, I don't eat fruits and veggies like I should, and had been doing due to my lifestyle. Is there any shake mixes or something you all can recommend? I'm even noticing weakness in my nails, and as I type this, I feel dizzy, almost like a mild vertigo.

Fellow college student. I feel you on that student life. It’s one of the weirdest things I go through. For 5 months everything is a weird combination of doing the most and the absolute least at the exact same time.

As far as nutrition goes, meal prepping is truly a life saver. And over time it’ll be kinder to your pockets as well.

Get your veggies any way you possibly can. Chop them up, liquify/blend them, stoop them in teas, make pastes, smoothies, eat them raw, whatever you can do that makes it easy.

So far I go the grocery store and buy the basics. Berries, apples, green veggies, oranges, (allergic to bananas which sucks), leafy greens, sweet potatoes, rooted veggies, lemons, ginger, kale, etc.

I’ll blend them. All of them. I’ve stopped caring about the taste because the taste of frustration far exceeds the taste of some bitter flavors. I’ve got four or five canisters I fill to the brim and will flash freeze for each day. End of the day, take one out, refill the other, freeze it, let the other thaw over night. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It helps so much.

I get a pound each of whatever it is I choose to buy. Cost is usually 15-25$ if I go to reasonable grocery stores. If I’m feeling extra or fancy I’ll hit up Whole Foods or higher ends stores that’ll run me about 30-45$.

I’ve joined my sports team this year for my campus and I’m very prone to solely focusing on heavy amounts of protein and simple carbs. Which isn’t bad, but I notice how much it doesn’t help my skin complexion, and overall peppiness compared to adequate amounts of fruits and veggies combined with my current diet.

This is by far the easiest thing I do. Prepping. I can get about 1-1.5 months out of doing this before I have to restock.

Hope this helps.

PlanetCybertron

Measured for the end of this month because my patience is running thin, and I’m having to prioritize, and it’s getting closer and closer to that time where I start putting my up and forgetting about it while doing the bare minimum.

So far I’ve reached 33 inches, and my immediate reaction was “ehh”. I updated my profile picture so I can keep track. I’m dead set on getting to 40 inches as quickly as possible, and I’m about 2 seconds away from throwing my trump card down, which is Monistat. I get an insane amount of growth with Monistat, but the one drawback I have with it is my scalp becomes 10x more sensitive. Almost like I can feel the blood rushing around due to the nitrates which cause blood vessel dilation (it’s supposed to happen). Only other time I used it was a while ago, and I got roughly 4 inches in a matter of 2 months.

Upsides? Virtually no itchy scalp. Like at all. It’s one of only two products that can completely mitigate the itch.

Obviously there’s the other half of brain that’s saying, “You cant be serious...Seriously?”

Or my brain going:

But I’m honestly losing my patience. I’m so ready to reach Classic and start micro trimming because I can’t wait to start thickening up my oldest ends. 40 inches will put me an inch or two under my butt, but that gives me wiggle room to trim a bit more or a bit less.

Couple this with my intent to protective style for the rest of this year and I’m optimistic enough that I’ll reach it by Christmas. That would be the most awesome Christmas gift to myself probably ever.

The main thing that’s making me second guess this, is that I do like focusing on other things. I go through phases of focusing too much on my hair, then completely forgetting about it. With me thinking about this, I’m more than likely going to completely forget and end up throwing a fit and complaining about how much I’m going to have to revise my regimen to make sure I don’t cause damage to all the new growth I’ll eventually have.

On the other, as I blabberd about earlier, my patience is running painfully thin. I’ll figure out what I wanna do come tomorrow.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey Ladies!

Hugs!

One thing that helped me was to learn that frozen and canned veggies/fruit are just as healthful as fresh.

I still halfway don't believe it, but it has helped me to get in waaaaaay more fruits and vegetables. Before, I was only buying fresh and they would spoil, required slight prep, etc. With canned or frozen, in the soup pan or microwave they go and are ready to eat.

Here's how I get extra veggies:
  1. Green Giant antioxidant frozen veggie blend: I'll sometimes add shredded cheese atop and make a meal of it. They cost about $2 for the individual size ones, I believe.
  2. Canned, low-sodium, low-carb vegetable soup. I try to go organic, but in college I wouldn't have likely. The key is to watch the sodium. I sometimes add a few crumbled up whole grain crackers and/or some shredded cheese and/or a few turkey smokies. Often I just eat it plain.
  3. Cans of Glory low-sodium greens with turkey meat. I add salt-free Italian green beans to them and treat it like a meal.
  4. Apples and oranges. I eat one or the other just about each day. Go organic on the apples especially, if you can.
I used to do green smoothies (kale, spinach, etc.) with frozen fruits and veggies added. That's an option.

I have also done the 7 Day Cabbage Soup Diet, even when I don't need to diet.

I also used to go heavy on dark green salads, either homemade or from Chick Fil A, Panera, Wendy's, etc. I made sure I loved the taste. Ingredients were often:
  • Spinach/kale 50-50 blend (big inexpensive bag from Sprouts)
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Pecans
  • Strawberries
  • Oranges
  • Chicken or turkey strips or salmon or shrimp
  • Apples
  • Carrots
  • Dressing
At certain times I might only be able to afford the salad ingredients, for example, one week out of the month. But that was fine! I just looked forward to it and was okay with soup and canned veggies and apples.

Hope that stirs ideas, and I hope you feel better soon.

NaturalShe94

Hey Ladies!

That college life is real. My hair damn near stopped growing when I was in college. I have low blood pressure, pressure dropped so low, I went in for a check-up and the nurse is like "your blood pressure is alarming, is that normal for you?" she took blood from me and I passed out in that place :perplexed:

Now, I know you mentioned that you aren't eating your fruits and veggies like you should, but for dizziness and weak nails, sounds like more than just "I haven't eaten my fruits and veggies in a few months" missy. :naughty: Are you eating period? Is the question. In college, I was surviving on an apple and an orange a day and maybe a chicken salad here and there almost, but, the rest of the day was pure caffeinated drinks. Latte's, coffee's, cappuccino's all with extra shots of espresso.... My whole body eventually slowed down. Hair growth, nail growth, dizzy spells, extreme weight loss, and the super low blood pressure. Eventually, I started to take my vitamins and slowly adding at least a sandwich in my everyday eating habits, and it actually made a huge difference.

When I finished school, I gained all my weight back, but I wasn't eating fruits and veggies at all.... (Not very healthy, I know) but, dizziness and weakened nails wouldn't just come from not eating your greens, so make sure you're eating PERIOD and take your vitamins sis! That's an order, don't let school break down that immune system!

SmilingElephant

WOW! I am so thankful for you ladies! :hug2:

I am currently sitting at my desk studying for my online midterm I have to take today.

Let me tell y'all what I did starting a few months back, with my silly self. I went back pescetarian for a few months and was borderline vegan. I was struggling with finding food, stuff that I could eat on the go, to accommodate my diet. I did that to see if it would help with my Fibromyalgia, which I found I get bad flair ups when I consume dairy, or too much of it.

A few months passed and I looked at my hair compared to how it used to look, and I look like a curly headed Cynthia doll! :nono:

I also take some strong meds for my Bipolar Disorder, so I feel like the mix of a bad diet and strong meds, plus stress due to carrying a heavy load= my hair jumped ship!

On top of that, my truck died last month, and I sort of stay in the boonies side of town, so with a student budget, and lack thereof for now, it's expensive to go to and from the store. Maybe when the sun dies down I will walk to the nearest store to get some of the things you ladies said to get, but they're so expensive. :whyme: I have a neighbor I could ask to take me, but they're so unreliable. I notice people have a huge issue helping you out when you have always been there when they needed you, no questions asked, but when you need help they have a problem...but that's okay. Two can play that game. I've stopped willingly doing favors for people.

I have actually had to put a LOT of things on the back burner until next year because it was just too much for me at the moment, however starting next year, after I graduate in December, I have goals to reach before continuing on to Grad School. :yep: I've been having bad depressive spells throughout this year, and still learning to avoid negative people. I've become a real hermit since my car went down. I just don't wanna deal with anybody right now.

I am looking for a job, though, in addition to writing my first novel and trilogy series about a queen that is doubted by everyone on whether or not she can win the war and protect the queendom, but she believes in herself, and believes in others. I will be editing starting tomorrow after I finish writing it today, and post it on Amazon before this month's end. I'm not looking to write the Great American Novel, I just want to inspire people to be great...against all odds.

If you all don't mind, I will come back here later today and copy and paste the meal plan suggestions you all posted so I can hopefully get to the grocery store today. :) Thanks again! <3

SmilingElephant

I wanted to mention this...I have the opposite problem. My pressure gets unusually high. I was using the blood pressure monitor in the drugstores every few weeks or so, and I either have normal pressure or it's high, like pre-hypertension high. I'm pretty sure it's because I take Lithium, a low dose actually, and I LOVE salty foods and snacks, even though I should not eat them so much.

That college life is real. My hair damn near stopped growing when I was in college. I have low blood pressure, pressure dropped so low, I went in for a check-up and the nurse is like "your blood pressure is alarming, is that normal for you?" she took blood from me and I passed out in that place :perplexed:

Now, I know you mentioned that you aren't eating your fruits and veggies like you should, but for dizziness and weak nails, sounds like more than just "I haven't eaten my fruits and veggies in a few months" missy. :naughty: Are you eating period? Is the question. In college, I was surviving on an apple and an orange a day and maybe a chicken salad here and there almost, but, the rest of the day was pure caffeinated drinks. Latte's, coffee's, cappuccino's all with extra shots of espresso.... My whole body eventually slowed down. Hair growth, nail growth, dizzy spells, extreme weight loss, and the super low blood pressure. Eventually, I started to take my vitamins and slowly adding at least a sandwich in my everyday eating habits, and it actually made a huge difference.

When I finished school, I gained all my weight back, but I wasn't eating fruits and veggies at all.... (Not very healthy, I know) but, dizziness and weakened nails wouldn't just come from not eating your greens, so make sure you're eating PERIOD and take your vitamins sis! That's an order, don't let school break down that immune system!

NaturalShe94

I wanted to mention this...I have the opposite problem. My pressure gets unusually high. I was using the blood pressure monitor in the drugstores every few weeks or so, and I either have normal pressure or it's high, like pre-hypertension high. I'm pretty sure it's because I take Lithium, a low dose actually, and I LOVE salty foods and snacks, even though I should not eat them so much.

Really??? Wow. Are you prescribed something for it or do you just handle it yourself? I crave salty things. Im talking putting extra salt in ramen noodles kind of thing. And you lost me at the taking Lithium part. Why and how does it raise your pressure?

SmilingElephant

Really??? Wow. Are you prescribed something for it or do you just handle it yourself? I crave salty things. Im talking putting extra salt in ramen noodles kind of thing. And you lost me at the taking Lithium part. Why and how does it raise your pressure?

Lithium is a salt. If you know people who may take Lithium, you might hear them saying they are thirsty a lot more than usual, experience dry skin, dehydration, and so on. You have to drink gallons of water to balance your levels, and flush out the excessive sodium in the body. I had to change up my body lotions and everything because my skin gets so dry. Even my formerly oily skin on my face.

Yet, despite the desert of a body I have now, it seriously balances out my moods.

But girl....extra salt in your ramen!?:lol: Now that's serious!

NaturalShe94

Lithium is a salt. If you know people who may take Lithium, you might hear them saying they are thirsty a lot more than usual, experience dry skin, dehydration, and so on. You have to drink gallons of water to balance your levels, and flush out the excessive sodium in the body. I had to change up my body lotions and everything because my skin gets so dry. Even my formerly oily skin on my face.

Yet, despite the desert of a body I have now, it seriously balances out my moods.

But girl....extra salt in your ramen!?:lol: Now that's serious!

Ohh okay. I find when I take B-complex it regulates my horomones especially during PMS times and I dont get as tired or moody anymore. And yes girl. Extra salt. I swear what tastes salty to other people doesnt taste as salty to me. I swear I think my blood pressure has something to do with it. I almost crave salty foods sometimes. I dont eat noodles often, but I get a sudden wave of really really wanting it and thats usually around the time when my pressure drops really low.

PlanetCybertron

Finally managed to do box braids correctly. There was a great deal of shed hair since my last wash, but I blow dried my hair on medium heat and tried my best to remove as many shed hairs as I could.

I had a bit of tangling, and maybe 4-6 broken hairs in total, but I’m not too irritated about that.

In total I think I have about 15-20 braids. I didn’t make the parts extremely neat since I show a lot of scalp from having fine hair.

I used these products:

Noughty haircare

Deep conditioned with Ichikami, and used Elizavecca as a protein leave-in.

I used the Oyin hair dew as a moisturizer

And Argan oil for heat protectant and smoothing

This is the finished product:

This is my first time doing braids on my own hair, but I like the way they turned out. My intent is to keep them in for two weeks or longer if the style holds up. I kept my last twists in for a full week and they held up fairly well. So we will see. If my hair somehow behaves for over two weeks I’ll keep them in for a full month. If I recognize signs of needing to take them down sooner I don’t mind.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

Ohh okay. I find when I take B-complex it regulates my horomones especially during PMS times and I dont get as tired or moody anymore. And yes girl. Extra salt. I swear what tastes salty to other people doesnt taste as salty to me. I swear I think my blood pressure has something to do with it. I almost crave salty foods sometimes. I dont eat noodles often, but I get a sudden wave of really really wanting it and thats usually around the time when my pressure drops really low.

Wow! It could be because of your pressure...your body will speak to you! My mom used to crave this white clay dirt...come to find out it was some sort of deficiency she had that contributed to her strange craving. I tried taking B complex a few years ago, and it caused me to go Manic. Like...I was so hyped, I could see glitter and confetti everywhere! :nono: Since that era in life, I'm afraid to take it lol!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Wow! It could be because of your pressure...your body will speak to you! My mom used to crave this white clay dirt...come to find out it was some sort of deficiency she had that contributed to her strange craving. I tried taking B complex a few years ago, and it caused me to go Manic. Like...I was so hyped, I could see glitter and confetti everywhere! :nono: Since that era in life, I'm afraid to take it lol!

@SmilingElephant!!! :lachen: Not glitter and confetti. And not everywhere!!! :lol:

That's funny. :lol:

* somebody tell me I'm not the only one *

Last edited:

NaturalShe94

Lmao!! Not funny but funny. Sorry. It gives me energy too. I lose energy like mad especially at work. Like an hour or two into work Ill crash if I dont take my B-Complex in the AM. That also could be from the fact that Coffee is the only thing I drink in the morning though. Coffee and B-Complex in the AM, I become the girl that can work the full shift without a break I swear lol.

SmilingElephant

Lmao!! Not funny but funny. Sorry. It gives me energy too. I lose energy like mad especially at work. Like an hour or two into work Ill crash if I dont take my B-Complex in the AM. That also could be from the fact that Coffee is the only thing I drink in the morning though. Coffee and B-Complex in the AM, I become the girl that can work the full shift without a break I swear lol.

Okay at this point, we need to become health buddies! :lol: We can just tag team each other on here every so often :yep:

I followed what you ladies said and managed to get some frozen fruits and veggies from the store yesterday. I am back to eating meat again, and I feel myself gradually improving some. I had a steak fajita bowl just now with beans and rice and veggies and extra guac :lick:. The trick now is getting my hydration up...been drinking fluids like a fish :lol:

I'm hoping to get my hair back in shape by the time I graduate in December.

NaturalShe94

Okay at this point, we need to become health buddies! :lol: We can just tag team each other on here every so often :yep:

I followed what you ladies said and managed to get some frozen fruits and veggies from the store yesterday. I am back to eating meat again, and I feel myself gradually improving some. I had a steak fajita bowl just now with beans and rice and veggies and extra guac :lick:. The trick now is getting my hydration up...been drinking fluids like a fish :lol:

I'm hoping to get my hair back in shape by the time I graduate in December.

Right lol!!! Your hair will bounce back in no time once youre feeding yourself properly and taking care of it. Way before December.

CurlyRy

Sooooo I haven't really done any of the changes that I set out to do to get back babying my hair. I'm actually in a waaaaaay better state (of mind) now than I was before, and I know that it was affecting my health. I feel a lot better now. Anyways, I wanted to go back to wearing my hair in twists but I can't even think about doing my entire head. Back then my hair was a lot shorter (and I was much more disciplined :look:) So I have another plan...

I tried the styling creme from Urban Hydration and y'all.....that was an absolute mess! Either it didn't mesh well with my other conditioner or it's just crappy and flakey. At first I was like whoa this hold kinda strong...then it was sticky. Once it dried then came the flakes. I "undid" the damage by revisiting some old products. I really like the Palmer's Repairing conditioner, it has just the right amount of thickness for me and it clumps my hair well. I've gotten use to the weird ass coconut smell now too :look: lol On top of that, I used Shea moisture's Curl Enhancing smoothie. I don't think I've used that since I first went natural. I know I didn't know how the hell to use it either :lachen:I probably plopped it on and went with it.

Anywho, I got great results from that combo and i'm very happy :drunk: I think I'm going to have to learn to work with my hair in a wash n go like state and just start protecting it this way. I've been loving styling cremes for my hair! I put my hair in two plaits tonight after I put the CES on the ends of my hair. I might baggy my ends tomorrow.

A few weeks back I did Ryler styler rollers and I got a different result. It might be because of the conditioner I used, I'm not sure. Anywho, it was suuuper fluffy and I liked it. I'll include photos of it. I probably took the photos after a week with the style, so it had expanded a bit more than before.

The second batch of photos is how my hair is looking now. More shrinkage but I don't mind. So my short term goal for now is just to keep my ends moisturized. If and after I make that a habit, I'll work on some other stuff haha (Overall, my length looks more or less the same)

Attachments

• IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3063.JPG
    IMG_3063.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3064.JPG
    IMG_3064.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3153.JPG
    IMG_3153.JPG