Hip Tbl & Beyond Challenge 2018

PlanetCybertron

Oh so you're relaxed! Okay. And that bangs part makes sense. It could be anemia. Sisterwithrealhair had ends that looked kind of like that when she was anemic. Have you gotten bloodwork?

I better not have anything wrong with me lol.

But I get blood work done twice a year.

Everything is in check. I compete in sports, and eat healthy, all that Jazz. I’m 23, so I’m doing my best to not have anything wrong with me at this young of an age lol.

But it’s more than likely either more sparse ends towards the bottom, that I’ll probably just slowly trim away to thicken them up, or it’s that transition between wet and dry that makes my ends look like that.

FadingDelilah

I better not have anything wrong with me lol.

But I get blood work done twice a year.

Everything is in check. I compete in sports, and eat healthy, all that Jazz. I’m 23, so I’m doing my best to not have anything wrong with me at this young of an age lol.

But it’s more than likely either more sparse ends towards the bottom, that I’ll probably just slowly trim away to thicken them up, or it’s that transition between wet and dry that makes my ends look like that.

Thank goodness. Good luck growing your hair out full and thick :)

PlanetCybertron

I simply want to reach the birthmark on my back...which is about 2-3 inches above TBL...and my thickness back. I hope to reach all of this by the end of the year.

I’d say you can make it. I’m not sure if your Avatar is your most recent photo but if it is you’re already super close anyways.

It’s about 5 months to December. So that’s a good amount of time

PlanetCybertron

Measured my hair again after relaxing about a week ago.

Monistat challenge proved effective. Made it back to just under 33 inches. Think I’m At like 32.7 inches exactly. So that setback wasn’t as bad as I thought. Although it still irritates me to think about it...so I won’t.

Finished day two of the inversion challenge, so by the end of the challenge I’m hoping to see 34 inches or just shy of it. I’m 6 inches away from my goal of 40”, and Classic.

Last edited:

brg240

Im slightly irritated. Someone online commented that it only takes 15 min to wash even long hair and I was lol no. And someone came at me :/

Anyway, how long does washing your hair take?

I don't think I've posted in here all year. (Maybe?) But I'm at the same length that I've been at for 4 years. Barely tbl. Siiigh. Anyway I'm going to cut 3-6 inches off on bday at the end of october. Maybe earlier I'm unsure.

Earlier this year I was taking better cate bc I wanted to reach classic or full tbl by my bday but life happens.

VictoriousBrownFlower

Im slightly irritated. Someone online commented that it only takes 15 min to wash even long hair and I was lol no. And someone came at me :/

I don't think I've posted in here all year. (Maybe?) But I'm at the same length that I've been at for 4 years. Barely tbl. Siiigh. Anyway I'm going to cut 3-6 inches off on bday at the end of october. Maybe earlier I'm unsure.

Earlier this year I was taking better cate bc I wanted to reach classic or full tbl by my bday but life happens.

I have nowhere near long hair at between apl and bsl natural but washing my hair doesn't take long. The longest part is letting the dc set. Everything else including styling is a breeze but I know I'm one of the lucky ones. As a whole shampoo applying dc and detangling is 30 min when I'm taking my time. I'm of course just speculating but I don't think it will get any harder to wash and style but will take longer once I reach longer lengths. Like I said b4 though I know in that aspect I am truly blessed because that's not the norm. Especially for a natural head.

PlanetCybertron

I’m sure your hair is absolutely beautiful! You’ll get to classic in no time!

I think it depends on your hairs overall density, curl pattern, etc.

Some days, espeacially if I’ve been stretching for months on end, it takes up to 30-35 mins to just shampoo and wash my hair, let alone try and detangle whenever I did detangle.

My hair at this length now, it’s taking less and less time. One time I timed myself out of curiosity and I was in and out of the shower in less than 10 mins or just about. That included washingnmy body, washing my hair, detangling and rinsing.

On average it takes me 15-20 mins if I’m taking my time somewhat.

When I was natural it took about the same amount of time, but I have insanely fine hair that just softens up and separates under running water. When soaking wet it compresses well over half of it’s normal density when dry, so it behaves under the shower quite a bit.

I have about 33inches of hair, and the biggest thing that takes up time is my scalp. It’s so finicky and sensitive that I typically spend several mins just massaging it and breaking up build up.

I also think some products aid in shower time. Some aid more than others, some more or less for certain hair types. Herbal Essences ensures I’m in and out of the shower lickity split. It’s about the only conditioner that gives me an insanely amount of high moisture and slip. Something thick like TGIN, or SM, or Maui is going to take a min for me to work in and detangle through on account of slippage.

Last edited:

VictoriousBrownFlower

I’m sure your hair absolutely beautiful!

I think it depends on your hairs overall density, curl pattern, etc.

Some days, espeacially if I’ve been stretching for months on end, it takes up to 30-35 mins to just shampoo and wash my hair, let alone try and detangle whenever I did detangle.

My hair at this length now, it’s getting shorter and shorter. One time I timed myself out of curiosity and I was in and out of the shower in less than 10 mins or just about. That included washingnmy body, washing my hair, detangling and rinsing.

On average it takes me 15-20 mins if I’m taking my time somewhat.

When I was natural it took about the same amount of time, but I have insanely fine hair that just softens up and separates under running water. When soaking wet it compresses well over half of it’s normal density when dry, so it behaves under the shower quite a bit.

I have about 33inches of hair, and the biggest thing that takes up time is my scalp. It’s so finicky and sensitive that I typically spend several mins just massaging it and breaking up build up.

I also think some products aid in shower time. Some aid more than others, some more or less for certain hair types. Herbal Essences ensures I’m in and out of the shower lickity split. It’s about the only conditioner that gives me an insanely amount of high moisture and slip. Something thick like TGIN, or SM, or Maui is going to take a min for me to work in and detangle through on account of slippage.
Agreed... Density in particular is huge when it comes down to time. I have fine hair as well which is prob why it's so easy to wash/style.

Daina

I'm WHiP length and have coarse strands with medium to high density. Even when I am so called going fast because I'm pressed for time it stills takes a minimum of 30-45 for me to cleanse my hair. The quickest I've ever co-washed, conditioned and detangled was about 30/35 minutes. I have to work in sections. Detangling is a breeze under running water for me but I just have a lot of hair.

NaturalShe94

Maintenance is driving me nutts on my hair as it gets longer. Not to mention my hair just doesn't wanna pass W'Hip Length. My hair is seriously creeping in length. I can get from BSL to WL in two to three months, but can't get from W'hip to full HL to save my damn life. Like whyyyy??? I don't think I'm gonna make it to TBL by the end of this year. I just trimmed two months ago and I feel like I need another trim.

MzSwift

Maintenance is driving me nutts on my hair as it gets longer. Not to mention my hair just doesn't wanna pass W'Hip Length. My hair is seriously creeping in length. I can get from BSL to WL in two to three months, but can't get from W'hip to full HL to save my damn life. Like whyyyy??? I don't think I'm gonna make it to TBL by the end of this year. I just trimmed two months ago and I feel like I need another trim.

((BIG HUG))
It’s OK, sis. We have another year to make it.
Sounds like you’re doing well though. Maybe it’s a case of “a watched pot.”

snoop

I'm still trucking along and trying to keep it simple. My wash routine isn't as consistent as it used to be, but I figure that it'll get get back to normal in a few months. Last week, I used the African threading method to stretch my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_20180808_065327_675.jpg
    IMG_20180808_065327_675.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20180811_073234_543.jpg
    IMG_20180811_073234_543.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 37

Daina

@NaturalShe94, sis I feel the same way! It's taking much longer to get to HL let alone full HL. I think my growth spurt happens in summer and although I haven't flat ironed in months not sure I've had much progress. I will flat iron again in November and hope to see some progress. If I haven't made as much progress as I'd like, I'm going to be changing up my regimen as well.

snoop

@NaturalShe94, sis I feel the same way! It's taking much longer to get to HL let alone full HL. I think my growth spurt happens in summer and although I haven't flat ironed in months not sure I've had much progress. I will flat iron again in November and hope to see some progress. If I haven't made as much progress as I'd like, I'm going to be changing up my regimen as well.

I second that. I fell like I've been hanging around WL too long. Maybe I claimed to early? I'm going to have to start doing way more length checks so that I have pictures to compare with.

What is W'HIP? Between waist and hip?

NaturalShe94

My growth spurt usually happens in summer as well. I thought for sure I was going to be full HL by the end of summer. I haven’t straightened my hair in forever, 2+ years I believe. I usually stretch with conditioner to see my length. I may go ahead and straighten after labor day when the weather gets cooler up here. Im attempting to incorporate oil rinses into my regimen for easier detangling based on the thread “dont sleep on oil rinses” I came across last week. I actually tried it this past wash day and it cut my detangling time in half. Hopefully that helps cut down whatever breakage I may be getting during detangling and then Ill see if my length shows any progress from then.

PlanetCybertron

So far I’ve got a ton of new growth again. Yay!
However I’ve completely eased myself into the rhythm of work and school. Im usually at school for well over 8-9 hours Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I work maybe 4-5 days a week for 4-6 hour shifts.

Couple that with sports and/or training 4-5 times a week, and my hair becomes one of the last few things I think about.

My negligence finally caught up to me this past week , and while I didn’t see any breakage, my scalp suffered quite a bit. It started off with this tingling feeling and turned into full blown irritation. No flakes or dandruff, just itchy irritation. I won’t lie, I stratched. Even after two scalp only washes and an ACV treatment the inflammation is still there.

And I’m usually one to keep up with scalp care, but these things happen.

So far I sprayed lemon juice on my scalp, rinsed with cool water, shampooed, and used rose water as a leave in with coconut oil. My scalp is still irritated but not as much. It’ll probably calm down by next week. If not, it’ll probably be a trip to the dermatologist, or at the very least to the medication shampoo section of a pharmacy.

Daina

I second that. I fell like I've been hanging around WL too long. Maybe I claimed to early? I'm going to have to start doing way more length checks so that I have pictures to compare with.

What is W'HIP? Between waist and hip?

Hey @snoop, yes W'Hip is in between waist and hip length. I thought the same thing about did I claim WL too early? But when I go back and look at pics it doesn't seem like it. I have been very hair lazy the past few months and I just need to do better. While I've been low manipulation there have also been weeks where I don't moisturize enough, seal enough or leverage my vitamins and supplements. So hopefully with the end of summer I can pick it up again.

Daina

My growth spurt usually happens in summer as well. I thought for sure I was going to be full HL by the end of summer. I haven’t straightened my hair in forever, 2+ years I believe. I usually stretch with conditioner to see my length. I may go ahead and straighten after labor day when the weather gets cooler up here. Im attempting to incorporate oil rinses into my regimen for easier detangling based on the thread “dont sleep on oil rinses” I came across last week. I actually tried it this past wash day and it cut my detangling time in half. Hopefully that helps cut down whatever breakage I may be getting during detangling and then Ill see if my length shows any progress from then.

@NaturalShe94, hmmm I'm off to read that thread. I've recently incorporated oil rinses in my skin regimen so come fall this may be a great game changer for my hair as well.

snoop

Hey @snoop, yes W'Hip is in between waist and hip length. I thought the same thing about did I claim WL too early? But when I go back and look at pics it doesn't seem like it. I have been very hair lazy the past few months and I just need to do better. While I've been low manipulation there have also been weeks where I don't moisturize enough, seal enough or leverage my vitamins and supplements. So hopefully with the end of summer I can pick it up again.

This may be it. I've kind of fallen off with weekly washes and switched to every two weeks and my hair hold moisture much better now so I don't "need" to moistuize daily. Even though I haven't experienced any noticeable setbacks, my hair probably thrives with my original routine, so I need to go back to it instead of taking the lazy way out.

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Haven’t been in this thread in a minute. I cut my hair 3 weeks ago. I cut over 3 inches due to the ssk’s I had. I went a good amount of time withought trimming and I was wearing high puffs, so that added to ask issue.

Despite the cut, I’m past MBL stretched but I’d have to straighten my hair to get an accurate length check which I don’t have the patience to do.

@snoop I wash every 2 weeks now too. My hair is not dried out or anything either. I just can’t be bothered. I’m still taking care of my hair, my energy is just low these days.

Daina

This may be it. I've kind of fallen off with weekly washes and switched to every two weeks and my hair hold moisture much better now so I don't "need" to moistuize daily. Even though I haven't experienced any noticeable setbacks, my hair probably thrives with my original routine, so I need to go back to it instead of taking the lazy way out.

I can only cleanse every 2 weeks in fall/winter and spring. Summertime my scalp gets build up easily and inflamed.

snoop

I did a quick wash today: shampoo (instead of clay), Aubrey Organics protein treatment instead of the Komaza care protein treatment, and my regular Giovanni rinse out conditioner. I couldn't twist my hair right away so I wore a plastic cap under a scarf the whole day. Tonight, I put my hair into twists and my hair felt so good. It felt moisturized even though it was naked. I think that I've got a really good coating of sebum on my hair now.