Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2015-2016 Challenge!

SmilingElephant

Question...have u ladies discovered the awesomeness that is Garnier Whole Blends? I've been using the Honey Treasures set and I absolutely love it! :love:

I also just recently bought the Avocado oil/Shea butter conditioners from the line. Can't WAIT to try them! They smell SO good and work great too!:yep:

I was just excited that they made their way to the U.S. bc I'd see all the UK and French youtubers talking about them (under a different name) and wished I could try them and now they're here!

I've just been bunning a lot more lately. Haven't been feeling well so when I feel bad I just make sure to wet my hair and put some oil in it at least...to refresh my curls. And then just throw it back up on top of my head lol! :lol:

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Question...have u ladies discovered the awesomeness that is Garnier Whole Blends? I've been using the Honey Treasures set and I absolutely love it! :love:

I also just recently bought the Avocado oil/Shea butter conditioners from the line. Can't WAIT to try them! They smell SO good and work great too!:yep:

I was just excited that they made their way to the U.S. bc I'd see all the UK and French youtubers talking about them (under a different name) and wished I could try them and now they're here!

I've just been bunning a lot more lately. Haven't been feeling well so when I feel bad I just make sure to wet my hair and put some oil in it at least...to refresh my curls. And then just throw it back up on top of my head lol! :lol:
I wanted to try these. Thanks for giving me that little push I needed. Feel better soon.

SmilingElephant

Has anyone besides me noticed in recent years that there seems to be less talk about growing your hair to WL+?

Idk if it's bc of the massive influx of new naturals that have recently reached shoulder length or are almost there.

But even in real life I notice a lot of ladies are only wanting to grow to BSL and stop.

It's not a bad thing just something I noticed.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Has anyone besides me noticed in recent years that there seems to be less talk about growing your hair to WL+?

Idk if it's bc of the massive influx of new naturals that have recently reached shoulder length or are almost there.

But even in real life I notice a lot of ladies are only wanting to grow to BSL and stop.

My sister was maintaining between waist and hip. She had it cut last month into a bob. It's fire too!
She said she was tired of long hair and dealing with it. However, she doesn't wash or style it herself...she goes to the salon every 2 weeks for a wash and press. All she did was wrap it every night and comb it down. I'm like girl how you tired and all you do is comb it down?! :confused::lachen::confused: But it is a beautiful cut! LOL

SmilingElephant

My sister was maintaining between waist and hip. She had it cut last month into a bob. It's fire too!
She said she was tired of long hair and dealing with it. However, she doesn't wash or style it herself...she goes to the salon every 2 weeks for a wash and press. All she did was wrap it every night and comb it down. I'm like girl how you tired and all you do is comb it down?! :confused::lachen::confused: But it is a beautiful cut! LOL

:lol: What is SHE talkin about!? Lol!! Lawd! I've been thinking about a pixie cut but I know I'll INSTANTLY regret it. I feel better and more like *ME* with my long hair.

When I big chopped...it was great for the first few months but after a while I felt like I had no idea what to do with it and it just felt too awkward for me to wanna go back that short ever again.

Just seems like there aren't as many ppl on the longhair team. Especially irl.

I keep forgetting that my hair is considered super long irl...and I'm still wanting to grow at least 3 inches this year. Lol!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
:lol: What is SHE talkin about!? Lol!! Lawd! I've been thinking about a pixie cut but I know I'll INSTANTLY regret it. I feel better and more like *ME* with my long hair.

When I big chopped...it was great for the first few months but after a while I felt like I had no idea what to do with it and it just felt too awkward for me to wanna go back that short ever again.

Just seems like there aren't as many ppl on the longhair team. Especially irl.

I keep forgetting that my hair is considered super long irl...and I'm still wanting to grow at least 3 inches this year. Lol!

Yeah girl your is super long compared to the people I see in real life.

My sisters hair is cut like this.

8A-font-b-Natural-b-font-Straight-font-b-Bob-b-font-font-b-Hair-b.jpg

AND don't let her be fresh from the salon....it then looks like this.

sew-ins.jpg
It's just so thick and soft. I'm low key jealous. I play in it whenever I see her, so I can get my fix cause I'll never go that short again with my real hair but I would get a sew-in similar to it.

SmilingElephant

Yeah girl your is super long compared to the people I see in real life.

My sisters hair is cut like this.

View attachment 355673

AND don't let her be fresh from the salon....it then looks like this.

View attachment 355675
It's just so thick and soft. I'm low key jealous. I play in it whenever I see her, so I can get my fix cause I'll never go that short again with my real hair but I would get a sew-in similar to it.

YAAAAASSSSSSS :love: I love that look SO bad!! If I were to get a wig THAT would be the style I'm looking for! OMG that is gorgeous!!

Definitely! My original goal was BSL. I didn't want to do all of this hair all the time. BSL is very long IRL but it's still manageable vs HL/TBL which is just *deep sigh* at times. Many people don't want to spend hours doing their hair. Me either :look:

I also think it's somewhat hard for people to imagine their growing that long for the first time. If you had told me at 15 with my breaking SL/CBL hair that I'd have 2ft of hair one day I would have thought you were crazy.

faithVA

So how long does it take to do HL hair versus BSL hair versus SL hair.

My hair isn't SL and it takes me at least 2 hours. In a pinch I could do 45 minutes but that is pushing it. It takes me at least 30 minutes to style it if I rush. But it usually takes me an hour.

I'm guessing detangling would take the most time.

Oh now I feel like a whiner :lol:

About 3 hrs 15 minutes distracted, 2.5 focused lol. This is wash, detangle and then shake and rake (Ouidad style).

I think CG method/faux W&G's/consistent style cut down my wash day because my hair is already clumped.

Detangling doesn't take me much time. I just pull at my ends in 1 section with shampoo in my hair under water to remove the shed hair (got that from idea from Reneice's YT). I rarely have breakage.

My hair isn't SL and it takes me at least 2 hours. In a pinch I could do 45 minutes but that is pushing it. It takes me at least 30 minutes to style it if I rush. But it usually takes me an hour.

faithVA

Oh now I feel like a whiner :lol:

About 3 hrs 15 minutes distracted about 2.5 focused lol. This is wash, detangle and then shake and rake (Ouidad style) my hair. I don't do many other styles because they don't last. Hair can't hold a twist. Braidouts take forever and are straight after day 2. No flat ironing.

CG method/faux W&G's/consistent style cut down my wash day becsuse my hair is already clumped.

Detangling doesn't take me much time. I just pull at my ends in 1 section with shampoo in my hair under water to remove the shed hair (got that from idea from Reneice's YT) I rarely have breakage.

My hair is pretty short right now. But as it gets longer, it takes less time because it is easier to style. However, I'm not sure if there will come a point in time when it will reach a certain length that it will take longer. I am always imagining that as it gets longer, I will always be able to put it in twist and throw it in a bun so it shouldn't take longer than it does now. But I really have no idea.

Yup, you learn your hair and then BAM it grows to a crazy length where skill no longer cuts down time. Then you have to start making sure you eat before starting wash day :lol: As your hair grows keep trying to find shortcuts. You know I do :look:

A twisted 4a-c bun on long hair is so pretty! :drool:

My hair is pretty short right now. But as it gets longer, it takes less time because it is easier to style. However, I'm not sure if there will come a point in time when it will reach a certain length that it will take longer. I am always imagining that as it gets longer, I will always be able to put it in twist and throw it in a bun so it shouldn't take longer than it does now. But I really have no idea.

sgold04

Hmmmm....I'll have to try that detangle method @YaniraNaturally

Washing and styling my hair is a breeze (except when I straighten it), but detangling takes me a long time if I'm trying to be thorough. My strands like to twist around each other, and my roots are gnarly!

SmilingElephant

It takes me LESS time to do my hair now versus when it was short. Detangling takes me about 10-15 minutes alone.

The only thing that would take me forever is flat ironing it or other intricate braiding or twisting styles which I don't do often at ALL.

I'm a wash n go or bun life chick.

The only things that annoys me about my hair is when the wind blows it the wrong way or ppl trying to touch it.

faithVA

It takes me LESS time to do my hair now versus when it was short. Detangling takes me about 10-15 minutes alone.

The only thing that would take me forever is flat ironing it or other intricate braiding or twisting styles which I don't do often at ALL.

I'm a wash n go or bun life chick.

The only things that annoys me about my hair is when the wind blows it the wrong way or ppl trying to touch it.
That's what I was thinking. Glad to know it's going to get better.

I have a feeling I will live in a lot of flat twist.

caliscurls

Co-signing on it taking less time. It still tangles but not as much or as easily as when it was shorter. I also find that my styles last longer, are easier to do, and I have more flexibility - with the exception of course being flat ironing which no matter the length is a pain in the.....:censored: :biggrin:

Janet'

I'm just in here soaking up this hair, knowledge, everything... :drool: :drool: :drool:

TBL is my long-term goal. @SmilingElephant I do think the idea of uber long hair can turn people off because in theory, it's a lot of work. Many of us take the time to do our hair as a hobby, and use the time as a relaxing experience...but many people are not concerned with health or about learning about hair care (i.e., why $50 weave shops are so popular- at least where I live). We also live in a world that is consumed with instant gratification. People want it (whatever the "it" is) now...and they can get it now through artificial means...

To dedicate years to reach a goal...that is definitely not the norm anymore...I've always liked being different anyway! :yep: :yep: :yep:

caliscurls

Checking in...did a quick length check in the back and I made waist length :toocool:

Life is a little crazy so my minimalist ways have gone to the extreme but my hair has been kept in a bun or French majority of the time. Lately I've been doing EVCO scalp massages every few days because I haven't had time to wash o_O it's helped keep my scalp clear.

Still rocking the loose twists. I need to squeeze in some time this week to redo them or I will pay for it for sure. An hour every night should do the trick.

Hope everyone else is doing well! On to hip length I go! :auto:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
I'm doing well! Back to my normal washing schedule of as needed (every 10 to 14 days) That's the only change in my regimen.

This thread won't be around when this happens, but I'm going to San Diego next year for a wedding and I will be visiting my stylist/friend and getting my hair pressed. I'll post pics in whatever hip/tailbone thread is around at the time. LOL I don't plan on using any heat until then.

Other than that, nothing new on the horizon!