Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2015-2016 Challenge!

Aireen

I think I'm going to get a new hair cutting scissor before actually trimming. I feel like something is wrong with mine currently. I don't know but I rather be safe than sorry lol. :look:

Oh and I added the new challenge members, welcome!

Last edited:

Aireen

ITCHING TO GIVE MY HAIR A TRIM RIGHT NOW. GAAAH. I feel like my scissors could be sharper though. I need to take my mind off this.

Duchess007

Please count me in, Aireen!

Details:

• Current length: WL, stretched (may be trimming back a bit at the beginning of the year)
• Regimen: Weekly pre-poo, co-wash, and DC; 3x a week M&S; twists/braids/buns 5 days a week; henna monthly; henna gloss monthly; clay wash biweekly; + some long-term (6-8 week) PSing
• Exact goal length: WL, unstretched
• Exact goal date: December 2016
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Clays, herbs, henna, teas, oils, ACV, AVJ, vitamins, VO5, finger detangling
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Semi-annual flat-iron trims, winter PSing for 2-month stretch

image-2665652690.jpg

LC, to make me official! Line 8=WL. Line 10=TBL

I've been trimming back to try to encourage my top layers to catch up to the bottom. I think I need to stop doing that. I get discouraged not seeing progress in my bottom layers. :-/

Aireen

Wheee~ So I trimmed my hair a bit after being tempted by Youtube :look: to reduce some of the thinning at the ends and give my hair a fresh start for the new year. I LOVE how the ends feel so much thicker + smoother, I still have the tapered look because not all the thinning is gone but I'm satisfied; it's a nice compromise between the tapered look (which I wanted) and blunt ends (which is needed). Going to keep up with trimming to even up my ends slowly (not too much, I still want that naturally grown out look) since I said I was going to do mini trims when I filled out the details for this challenge – I'll keep up with this at least until April/May. I need to get a new scissors though, this one was sooooo much trouble to work with but I'll keep an eye on my ends to make sure that they didn't do more harm than good.

Last edited:

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Last Friday I washed and roller set my hair. Moisturized, saran wrapped under the dryer and threw my silk scarf over it immediately after removing the saran wrap. Here it is 7 days later, and I'm just combing it down...and guess what?! My hair is so freaking moisturized and it feels like silk. (It rained all last week so I wore a beanie)

My hair is now in a low bantu bun which I'll probably keep in until wash day. That will be 2 full weeks of my hair being up and out the way. I love this routine and will probably continue it until I hit hip. I'll straighten when I wanna wear it down for real.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I had a small set back. Wash n going and DCing frequently works for me but I thought doing the low manipulation thing would be better. It ended up with my hair being full of tiny dreadlocks when I washed it. It was only for a week too. I saw so much breakage as I removed them. This was a hard lesson for me. Now I am just going to stick to my regimen.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I had a small set back. Wash n going and DCing frequently works for me but I thought doing the low manipulation thing would be better. It ended up with my hair being full of tiny dreadlocks when I washed it. It was only for a week too. I saw so much breakage as I removed them. This was a hard lesson for me. Now I am just going to stick to my regimen.

I said the same thing the other day. I tried to protect my hair from the cold and I did more harm than good. So I'm just going back to my weekly wash and go with daily moisturizing, shower steams and nightly pineapples. Also adding my hard protein treatment back in.

Aireen

Haha, it doesn't look that different from the picture I put up in this challenge already. :lol: If I can, I'll take another one after my next wash, marta9227.

Duchess007

My hair was up in a protective style for two months, so wash day was an all-day affair.

image-3532753607.jpg

Gonna henna on Monday night.

Aireen

Bought some new hair scissors and even thinning shears, they should arrive next week. My next trim will be with proper scissors, thank goodnessssss!

Beachy

Another wash day or should I say wash weekend completed ( it was snowing and I was lazy). I have attached (fingers crossed) my starting pic (please excuse my back....the body is a work in progress too

Attachments

• image-2405933346.jpg
    image-2405933346.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image-2488092939.jpg
    image-2488092939.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 123
  • image-2576438455.jpg
    image-2576438455.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 133

SmilingElephant

Shampooed my hair with Mixed Chicks clarifying shampoo and detangled/deep conditioned with my CON Argan oil intensive conditioner. Raked through some random products for styling over my hot 6 oil.

Curls feel nice today.

bebezazueta

Another wash day or should I say wash weekend completed ( it was snowing and I was lazy). I have attached (fingers crossed) my starting pic (please excuse my back....the body is a work in progress too
Gorgeous hair! I love the length and thickness. And that bun! How long have you been natural?

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Keeping my ends up and protected with a faux curly bob. I did a flexi rod set 3 days ago and settled for a compromise of wearing my hair "out" but the bottom half "up".

Last edited:

NowIAmNappy

Im late and I cant take pics of my hair until after my faux locs come out.

I'll start with my update, will post a picture when I get around to it lol.

• Current length: between MBL and WL 120% nappy
• Regimen: Winter Protective style 95% of the time wash biweekly and oil scalp nightly.
• Exact goal length: TBL
• Exact goal date: December 31st, 2016 at 11:59:59PM.
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Sticking to protective styling, moisturizing frequently, regular trims, protecting hair at night, protein, protein protein, and taking my new vitamins
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Straightening my hair for the first time in 5 years and enjoying some more out styles in between the protective styles. Whats the fun in always hiding your hair.

ManeStreet

I'm getting box braids this weekend. I'm so happy. I will immensely enjoy the break. I may wear braids and/or twists most of 2015 just for the purpose of having a break. I don't feel like detangling or any of it anymore. I'm avoiding the urge to cut by getting these braids.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I'm thinking of wearing wigs instead of wash n goes. Its gotten really cold and I don't want to deal with wet hair right now. I plan on blow drying before I braid up my hair so my hair won't tangle up on wash days.

Duchess007

ManeStreet Napp I'm giving it a few months, and if I'm still feeling uninspired, I'm going back into a long-term PS. I usually do micro braids (with extensions), but I just came out of a two-month stint in marley twists, and I will DEFINITELY be doing those again. Quick and easy to install and take down. View attachment 292445 I'll also be making a few crochet wigs. :)

Aireen

Gave myself another trim with my new scissors, this will probably be the last trim for a while. This pair is so much better and easier to use. :yep:

Naturelie

Aireen, can I please join the challenge.
So,
Current length: WL, 4a natural.
• Regimen: Wash, condition, apply the LOC method and PS.
• Exact goal length: Classic length (by december 2018 lol) but HL by december 2016.
• Exact goal date: December 31st, 2016 at 11:59:59PM too.
• Tools + plans to help reach final goal: Just sticking to my regimen, enjoy the growth and being patient.
• Maintenance + plans once goal is achieved: Keeping on taking care for my hair (to CL hair)

Aireen

Got some of my vitamins yesterday so I've started taking them. I'm going to go to the post office soon to pick up the others, I've just been super lazy.

vmerie

Undercover superhero
Thinking about faux locs or crotchet braids as a new protective style option. Might just twist up my own hair. Decisions decisions.