Hits & Misses: December 2016

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Miss

Outre Dominican Blow out straight Crochet hair, the slippage is crazy. Not sure if this is going to work out for me. On the bright side my hair is already braided so push come to shove I can just wear a wig eventually.

This has moved to a sort of hit. If you move the parts, it looks ratchet BUT by Golly, its been in 2 weeks/ Im quite proud of myself. LOL

CodeRed

Miss: GVP Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner

I'm not sure which or if both made my scalp flake but they didn't do anything positive for my hair. Both made my hair kind of hard/tangled.

Miss: Ion Clarifying Shampoo

I don't feel like it clarified my hair properly. My hair isn't generally soft after clarifying/before conditioning but this was a different kind of "stiffness" and my hair didn't appreciate it at all.

Hit turned miss: Ion Color Defense Shampoo

I'm not sure how or why but this shampoo did not work well with the Ion Color Defense Intense Moisturizing Conditioner or the Color Sealer.

I'm going to experiment with the Ion Color Defense Sulfate Free Shampoo and the Ion Swimmer's Shampoo a little more. I was not going to go the sulfate free route but I liked these two much more than the regular shampoo from this brand.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Miss:
My wash day. I think the Jakeala Flaxseed LI will have to wait until spring. There is something about it and my entire wash day took a hit because of it. The length of my hair is dry. But this is also why I hate WNG.

I'm going to cowash and try this over.

werenumber2

MEGA HIT:

Design Essentials Almond and Avocado Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo:

This product has one of the longest names I've ever seen, but this stuff here is LIFE IN A BOTTLE! I got this from CVS on clearance for like 3 bucks. The ingredients looked good and its claims of cutting detangling time down by 30 minutes had me like :yep:. Now my hair isn't super tangly, but I'm lazy so cutting time is always a plus.
Ladies, as soon as it touched my hair it was like butter silk drizzling down my strands causing knots to run in fear and unicorn fairies to cry tears of soapy goodness all over my scalp :drool:. My hair wasn't the slightest bit stripped, my scalp was super clean and my curls were poppin' all over the place. Needless to say I will be hitting up CVS again tomorrow to politely collect the other 2 bottles on the shelf :yep:.

I tried this shampoo for the first time the other day and it is LEGIT!
Definite hit!

Another Design Essentials hit:

Natural Honey Curl Custard

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Revisited Hit:
Paul Mit.chell The Detangler. It took me a while, but I really like this stuff. Slip is great, detangles well and adds a nice boost of moisture.

APB Cherry Kukui Daily Lotion. I like it better for WNG hair versus twists.

Hit:
APB Agave Cleansing Conditioner. By far the best one so far. It does foam a little, but nothing significant. I really liked it.

Continued Hit:
MHC Type 4. I let it warm with the shower steam and that's a no though. Too soft.

On the Fence (still):
Sarenzo Leave In Spray. One Day, I'll figure it out.

Aggie

New Hit but not sure if it's a repurchase item as yet:

Bask & Bloom Silky Aloe Curl Pudding. This pudding holds moisture in my hair so well when used as a sealant. I love it because the moisture lasts a few days plus my hair is left feeling so touchable soft.

Last edited:

Thump

Scorpio Queen
Revisited Hit:
Paul Mit.chell The Detangler. It took me a while, but I really like this stuff. Slip is great, detangles well and adds a nice boost of moisture.

APB Cherry Kukui Daily Lotion. I like it better for WNG hair versus twists.

Hit:
APB Agave Cleansing Conditioner. By far the best one so far. It does foam a little, but nothing significant. I really liked it.

Continued Hit:
MHC Type 4. I let it warm with the shower steam and that's a no though. Too soft.

On the Fence (still):
Sarenzo Leave In Spray. One Day, I'll figure it out.

I feel the same way about Sarenzo Leave In. I purchased some when she had them on sale for $5 each. I got several of the Twisted Vanilla and the Twisted Cotton Candy. My daughter loves them though.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I feel the same way about Sarenzo Leave In. I purchased some when she had them on sale for $5 each. I got several of the Twisted Vanilla and the Twisted Cotton Candy. My daughter loves them though.

It's not bad. The problem is that it's a Spray liquid so I never really know if or how it's working. My hair is soft and smooth, but I've put lotion, oil and butter after.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Are you relaxed or natural? How do you use the Redken Antisnap? I used to use it on my relaxed hair as a heat protectant right before blowdrying, but now that I'm natural, I'm not sure how to use it anymore.

Also, so when you leave the Aphogee 2 minute on overnight, you don't wake up with super dry, hard hair? I dont wanna overdose on protein.

I'm relaxed on a long stretch. The anti-snap is on the relaxed hair only. It would be too much on the natural ng. Same goes for the aphogee, relaxed hair only. I stick to heavy moisture DCs on the ng.

Aggie

Misses:

Jakeala Honey Hair Thang - no slip, too oily/greasy for me.
Jakeala Chocolate Hair and Body Butta - too oily/greasy for my taste
Jakeala Flax Mallow Conditioner - cleans well but no slip - My hair loves slippy products.

Just Okay and NOT a repurchase item:

APB Bamboo and Algae Deep Conditioner - offered no slip but I could tell it's strengthening. I liked the APB Not Easily Broken a lot better

Thump

Scorpio Queen
Misses:

Jakeala Honey Hair Thang - no slip, too oily/greasy for me.
Jakeala Chocolate Hair and Body Butta - too oily/greasy for my taste
Jakeala Flax Mallow Conditioner - cleans well but no slip - My hair loves slippy products.

Just Okay and NOT a repurchase item:

APB Bamboo and Algae Deep Conditioner - offered no slip but I could tell it's strengthening. I liked the APB Not Easily Broken a lot better

Did you use the Chocolate Hair and Body Butta for your hair or skin? I love that stuff for my skin. I never even thought to try it on my hair. LOL now you're going to make me by some more.

Aggie

Did you use the Chocolate Hair and Body Butta for your hair or skin? I love that stuff for my skin. I never even thought to try it on my hair. LOL now you're going to make me by some more.

@Thump, it was a MISS for me. I use Bekura's Body Custards/Souffles and I absolutely love them and I thought this Chocolate butter was similar but it's not. Sadly, it does not feel the same.

Bekura's Souffles are extremely rich and emollient without that greasy feeling, plus they smell divine. I love those and bought quite a few of them in all the fragrances they offer and the lemon beignet scent is my absolute favorite.

By the way, I did try it on my skin and my hair and I didn't like the feel of it on either :nono:.

Thump

Scorpio Queen
@Thump, it was a MISS for me. I use Bekura's Body Custards/Souffles and I absolutely love them and I thought this Chocolate butter was similar but it's not. Sadly, it does not feel the same.

Bekura's Souffles are extremely rich and emollient without that greasy feeling, plus they smell divine. I love those and bought quite a few of them in all the fragrances they offer and the lemon beignet scent is my absolute favorite.

By the way, I did try it on my skin and my hair and I didn't like the feel of it on either :nono:.

I can understand that. I need the heavier butters for my skin. My skin looks at me and says "really, you gonna learn today" when I put lotion on. I have some of the Bekura's as well but I still need to mix a little bit of unscented mango or shea butter with it to make it work.

Aggie

I can understand that. I need the heavier butters for my skin. My skin looks at me and says "really, you gonna learn today" when I put lotion on. I have some of the Bekura's as well but I still need to mix a little bit of unscented mango or shea butter with it to make it work.
Whoa girl! Your skin must really be dry. Fortunately for me, I live in the tropics and have a little help from the weather - lots of humidity, even during this time of the year. I am ever so grateful too.

Last edited:

JerriBlank

Hit:
Bobeam Lemongrass deep condish
This is staple status. Ill have to keep it in stock
My har is super dry for some reason, probably from not oiling my scalp with something healthy. Im one of those that has to oil their scalp. Gonna try thr Mane Choice oil.
Anyway, i only have to use a small swipe pf the Bobeam DC per section. I need to finish braiding a huge section of hair. Its good to have it out while o try new products though. The DC applied smoothly, all the way up until my rough ends. Added a dc cap, and about 10 minutes later, hair was smooth root to tip. This is exciting. Going to add a small bit tp my braid spray, with some linseed oil. This is nice!
I don't think that the scent matters with this dc, the base is amazing. I want to try the others now.