Holly Robinson Peete...Hair Off, Then Hair On!

Alpha Female

I was at an awards dinner & symposium on Tuesday & Wednesday in D.C. Holly Robinson Peete and her husband Rodney were the Emcees. I happened to check in about 2 hours before the reception was supposed to start, and rode up in the elevator with Holly Robinson Peete, who I noticed had a little 'puff' of a ponytail, indicating very short hair. When the reception started later, and she and her husband came out for the first time, she still had that little puff, but she also had a long, thick, flowing ponytail attached to it. Her husband made a point of saying how beautiful & sexy she looked, and then he ran his fingers across her hair, and she moved away ever so slightly, and said something to the effect of "Whoa, don't pull too hard on the ponytail now!' I had to laugh, as did several sisters in this mixed audience because we know how black women can be about their hair, but I also had to smile because I knew it hadn't been there at all just a few short hours ago!

Susan Taylor of Essence Magazine was one of several receiving an award, and of course, she had her trademark braids in, and I couldn't help wondering if constant braids over the years have contributed to her receding hairline. Hmm?

Jennifer Hudson was the special guest artist, and her above-shoulder length hair was full, luscious and full of 'natual-looking curls. I've seen her with so many different hairstyles...long, short, relaxed, natural-looking, etc., that I'm not sure what her real hair looks like! But I was close enough to notice that she's put on some weight, and the stretch marks on her arms were readily noticeable.

Now don't get me wrong, all of these are beautiful black women, and I totally give them their props...Susan Taylor is a mesmerizing speaker, and cares deeply about the black community; Jennifer Hudson has a set of pipes on her that few can compete with (she belted out "I'm telling you, I'm not going" and received a standing ovation); and for Holly & Rodney to still be going strong in an industry where a stable, solid marriage is the exception and not the rule speaks kudos for them - their love & ease of comfort with one another was readily obvious as they played the nuances of a married couple with children to the hilt for a comedic effect.

But I say the things I said earlier for the benefit of the non-celebrity, 'NORMAL' women out in the world...having lived in LA for a couple of years, and had several 'close encounters' such as these with celebs, I can assure you...most are like us...with the same hair challenges we have, and the same body flaws we face, and how you see them when they're made up, ponied up, weaved up, airbrushed-up, etc. is rarely how they look in person on any normal given day without all the hair, make-up, clothes, benefits of technology, etc. I doubt all the money in the world could help Susan's hairline at this point in time. So whatever you have, however you look, be thankful and grateful. Don't use celebrity women as your 'standard of beauty', because 9 times out of 10, when compared to their true selves, you'd be the one to actually come out on top!

glamazon386

Holly Robinson Peete is natural now and her hair looked short when I saw her on tv recently. It was a little fro. I agree with you though, most celebs look like regular people. It's all the make up and styling that make them look better. Imagine what we would look like with a glam squad catering to us at all times? :yep:

audacity.

Holly Robinson Peete is natural now and her hair looked short when I saw her on tv recently. It was a little fro. I agree with you though, most celebs look like regular people. It's all the make up and styling that make them look better. Imagine what we would look like with a glam squad catering to us at all times? :yep:

girl, i'd be finer than halle berry!!!! :grin:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
When you are feeling down, a pep talk like the one Alpha Female gave makes a lady feel better about herself. :yep::up:

neenzmj

I agree with you whole-heartedly! :yep:

Energee

This is something I've always known and definitely agree! I don't think that's any surprise at all. I've seen some well-known women IRL as well. All women--white, black, blue, green--all socio-economic brackets across the board face the same challenges when it comes to maintaining and retaining their beauty:yep:. We all like to and want to look good. Thanks for sharing....

BeautifulFlower

Yes! It is the braids. Ever notice men that do cornrows all the time start losing hair in the front? Brandy, Busta Rhymes, Omarion, etc etc etc.

Susan Taylor of Essence Magazine was one of several receiving an award, and of course, she had her trademark braids in, and I couldn't help wondering if constant braids over the years have contributed to her receding hairline. Hmm?

Nazarite27

I was at an awards dinner & symposium on Tuesday & Wednesday in D.C. Holly Robinson Peete and her husband Rodney were the Emcees. I happened to check in about 2 hours before the reception was supposed to start, and rode up in the elevator with Holly Robinson Peete, who I noticed had a little 'puff' of a ponytail, indicating very short hair. When the reception started later, and she and her husband came out for the first time, she still had that little puff, but she also had a long, thick, flowing ponytail attached to it. Her husband made a point of saying how beautiful & sexy she looked, and then he ran his fingers across her hair, and she moved away ever so slightly, and said something to the effect of "Whoa, don't pull too hard on the ponytail now!' I had to laugh, as did several sisters in this mixed audience because we know how black women can be about their hair, but I also had to smile because I knew it hadn't been there at all just a few short hours ago!

Jennifer Hudson was the special guest artist, and her above-shoulder length hair was full, luscious and full of 'natual-looking curls. I've seen her with so many different hairstyles...long, short, relaxed, natural-looking, etc., that I'm not sure what her real hair looks like! But I was close enough to notice that she's put on some weight, and the stretch marks on her arms were readily noticeable.

Now don't get me wrong, all of these are beautiful black women, and I totally give them their props...Susan Taylor is a mesmerizing speaker, and cares deeply about the black community; Jennifer Hudson has a set of pipes on her that few can compete with (she belted out "I'm telling you, I'm not going" and received a standing ovation); and for Holly & Rodney to still be going strong in an industry where a stable, solid marriage is the exception and not the rule speaks kudos for them - their love & ease of comfort with one another was readily obvious as they played the nuances of a married couple with children to the hilt for a comedic effect.

But I say the things I said earlier for the benefit of the non-celebrity, 'NORMAL' women out in the world...having lived in LA for a couple of years, and had several 'close encounters' such as these with celebs, I can assure you...most are like us...with the same hair challenges we have, and the same body flaws we face, and how you see them when they're made up, ponied up, weaved up, airbrushed-up, etc. is rarely how they look in person on any normal given day without all the hair, make-up, clothes, benefits of technology, etc. I doubt all the money in the world could help Susan's hairline at this point in time. So whatever you have, however you look, be thankful and grateful. Don't use celebrity women as your 'standard of beauty', because 9 times out of 10, when compared to their true selves, you'd be the one to actually come out on top!

From one Leo to another....thank you!! Nice, realistic reminder.

Nice & Wavy

Thank you, you said a mouth full!

NuMe2004

AMEN! :clap: My sis and I talk about this all the time. One of the reasons I like Tyra Banks is because she has always been real about that fact: Hollywood is a big smoke and mirrors act. A personal trainer, the right makeup and hairstyle, and a good outfit can do wonders for anybody!

:yep::yep: Well stated I have always said if we all had hair and makeup artists and stylists to prepare us everyday we would all look as "glamorous" as these stars. The true test of beauty is when you can work with what you are given.

gabulldawg

When you are feeling down, a pep talk like the one Alpha Female gave makes a lady feel better about herself. :yep::up:

I definitely agree with that! Men always wonder why us women get down on ourselves at times. We are constantly held up to an unattainable standard of beauty that celebrities cannot uphold themselves (without the help of a staff)! Every now and then it's nice to be able to see and know that everyone's equal.

DarkVictory

So whatever you have, however you look, be thankful and grateful. Don't use celebrity women as your 'standard of beauty', because 9 times out of 10, when compared to their true selves, you'd be the one to actually come out on top!

Thanks for this very insightful post. I live in L.A. and am associated with the music business. Everytime someone says, "I want my hair to look like Celebrity Sister So-and-So," my heart sinks. :nono:

It's not just that the stars have stylists - they can stop and have somebody run in, re-fluff, re-gel, glue that cute little wave to their forehead at just the right angle - then start the camera again. Their "natural" curls hang down because they spray them with stuff constantly. If you or I went to work that way, the supervisor would have to call the chemical hazard squad.

One big reason I visit LHCF is that I can see real life, actual Black folks dealing with everyday styling and grooming issues, and looking good doing it.