Holy Hip Hop Movement

LovingLady

Do you feel it is acceptable to allow hip hop into the ministry? Is it something that should be used to attract people to God?

I personally don't feel that we have to jazz God up in order for people to be attracted to or drawn to Him. He stands great on his own.

The youtuber at the bottom mentions some great points about the topic. Feel free to discuss anything that he mentions in the video.

Thank you Freecurl for mentioning this youtuber.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/actsministries777#p/u/7/zRsJlXyBv_c[/video]

kbragg

I know my opinion is not popular but here it is. We are fishers of men. The first rule of thumb in fishing is use the bait that the fish likes. God is less concerned about the bait than the fish. God has used Hip Hop, heck God has even used beautiful women to bring people to Christ:giggle: How many times have you all heard about a man who came to church just because there was a cute girl there he liked only to be delivered from sin and made free in Christ.

If the music is clean, the lyrics are Biblical, and the heart of the one singing wrapped up in Christ, and it glorifies God, God is pleased IMO. Whether it's a hymn, a rap, an African or Asian or take your pick song, if it meets those requirements it's all good. There's a Christian rapper Da T.R.U.T.H. whose lyrics are so profound they bring tears to my eyes and I don't even like rap. That's the Holy Ghost working through him:yep:

kbragg

Wanted to add, please don't make absurd assumptions about what I'm saying. I'm not saying start a Christian strip club or crack house:rofl: What I'm saying Jesus will meet people where ever they are at and He doesn't clutch His pearls about it. This man ate with tax collectors and prostitutes. Probably listened to their music, but the end result? He captured their hearts. Meanwhile the "church folk" were busy crying "unclean". Something to think about. It's more the message than the method. JMHO.

Guitarhero

This is my take, if you really look at it, you're exchanging one cultural expression and value for another with that argument (not you personally, the argument itself). Anything that is puritanized and Eurocentric is acceptable while other expressions are considered wrong. I remember hearing ministers talk about evil drum beats in music and that it had no business in the church. When I look at places like Africa, who do use their drums (depends upon the actual culture) in worship, it surely isn't evil. So why are there people who think that the genre of rap is unacceptable? I think it has to do with the evil that exists on the secular side under the guise of "rap." Now christian music is clearly rock and alternative in sound. That wasn't so acceptable either further back in history.

So I think it's okay to use that expression because what is the standard? Something that is not even Middle-eastern in origin. It's a circle. Regarding interest in the teaching, that can occur with any type of popular music of today in the church. I think they get the message. It might not be detectable by others because it's personal and between G-d and them. Of course, demeanor needs to be considered in any case and bad behavior and language aren't appropriate in worship. He makes some very good points, especially the one about people trying to teach who are not mature.

Last edited:

LatterGlory

1Co 9:19-24
(19) For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
(20) And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
(21) To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
(22) To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
(23) And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
(24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Last edited:

happyjourney

Do you feel it is acceptable to allow hip hop into the ministry? Is it something that should be used to attract people to God?

I personally don't feel that we have to jazz God up in order for people to be attracted to or drawn to Him. He stands great on his own.

The youtuber at the bottom mentions some great points about the topic. Feel free to discuss anything that he mentions in the video.

Thank you Freecurl for mentioning this youtuber.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/actsministries777#p/u/7/zRsJlXyBv_c[/video]

I know my opinion is not popular but here it is. We are fishers of men. The first rule of thumb in fishing is use the bait that the fish likes. God is less concerned about the bait than the fish. God has used Hip Hop, heck God has even used beautiful women to bring people to Christ:giggle: How many times have you all heard about a man who came to church just because there was a cute girl there he liked only to be delivered from sin and made free in Christ.

If the music is clean, the lyrics are Biblical, and the heart of the one singing wrapped up in Christ, and it glorifies God, God is pleased IMO. Whether it's a hymn, a rap, an African or Asian or take your pick song, if it meets those requirements it's all good. There's a Christian rapper Da T.R.U.T.H. whose lyrics are so profound they bring tears to my eyes and I don't even like rap. That's the Holy Ghost working through him:yep:

Wanted to add, please don't make absurd assumptions about what I'm saying. I'm not saying start a Christian strip club or crack house:rofl: What I'm saying Jesus will meet people where ever they are at and He doesn't clutch His pearls about it. This man ate with tax collectors and prostitutes. Probably listened to their music, but the end result? He captured their hearts. Meanwhile the "church folk" were busy crying "unclean". Something to think about. It's more the message than the method. JMHO.

This is my take, if you really look at it, you're exchanging one cultural expression and value for another with that argument (not you personally, the argument itself). Anything that is puritanized and Eurocentric is acceptable while other expressions are considered wrong. I remember hearing ministers talk about evil drum beats in music and that it had no business in the church. When I look at places like Africa, who do use their drums (depends upon the actual culture) in worship, it surely isn't evil. So why are there people who think that the genre of rap is unacceptable? I think it has to do with the evil that exists on the secular side under the guise of "rap." Now christian music is clearly rock and alternative in sound. That wasn't so acceptable either further back in history.

So I think it's okay to use that expression because what is the standard? Something that is not even Middle-eastern in origin. It's a circle. Regarding interest in the teaching, that can occur with any type of popular music of today in the church. I think they get the message. It might not be detectable by others because it's personal and between G-d and them. Of course, demeanor needs to be considered in any case and bad behavior and language aren't appropriate in worship. He makes some very good points, especially the one about people trying to teach who are not mature.

1Co 9:19-24
(19) For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
(20) And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
(21) To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
(22) To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
(23) And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
(24) Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

Excellent! I agree 100%.

Prudent1

"If the music is clean, the lyrics are Biblical, and the heart of the one singing wrapped up in Christ, and it glorifies God, God is pleased IMO. Whether it's a hymn, a rap, an African or Asian or take your pick song, if it meets those requirements it's all good."
That's it in a nutshell to me. It is the spirit that is behind the tracks, lyrics, etc that matters the most. We must treat music like anything else we encounter in life. Try the spirits by the Spirit. Always ask God for discernment. Always be striving to walk in harmony with God so that if he did say "Don't listen to that", our spiritual ears are sensitive enough to hear him and we obey whether we understand at that point or not. A secular artist singing a gospel song at some tribute program while we know they lifestyle is scandalous does not give God glory.:nono:

"I personally don't feel that we have to jazz God up in order for people to be attracted to or drawn to Him. He stands great on his own."
We had a similar discussion in a thread about 'Cool Christianity'. You are right. We do not have to jazz up God. During the time I grew up hip hop was an integral part of my life. So was rock, pop, and several other types of music. I am saved now but that is the type of music I can still identify with (minus the filthy lyrics). Some of the older generation at church were sharing how at one point the generation before them thought having an organ, drums, horns, etc in the church was evil. The word tells us that we are to praise God with a variety of instruments. We know that music was not a human creation. God created music. There will be instruments and songs in heaven we cannot fathom at this time. Satan, prior to his betrayal was the chief musician. He had instruments and precious stones all over his body as a part of his body.

IOW, we are responsible for checking ourselves. Guarding our ear gates to make sure not any and every type of music get in. Praying about all things at all times lest we find ourselves deceived.

KynkiChyck

G. Craige Lewis has done extensive research into both HipHop n Holy HipHop...and I must wholeheartedly agree w/him. We must not be ignorant of the devil's devices.

www.exministries.com/main.html

fifi134

Craig Lewis is too extreme and hateful for me to support his beliefs. Who's to say one cannot worship God through hip hop? There isn't one way to glorify or worship God, as Psalms 150 shows. It is too evident in the music these brothers are producing that God is being glorified through it. Even speaking to them, they reveal a sense of humility in that they do this not for fame, but for God. Many youth at my church, and myself (as I am one too) have turned to holy hip hop and turned away from the secular trash on the radio. Too many church folk dismiss what is of God because of their prejudices.

LovingLady

I don't mind it to a point, but when are going out to talk to people about God, I don't think it should be used to attract people to Him. Just like the guy said in the video, the way you draw people into the church is going to be the same way you keep them. We are here to tell people the truth not to entertain them. If there is going to be a hip hop event, function, ministry etc. there has to be some hard hitting truth about God in it.

Kbragg I disagree with you. If a man comes to church because of the women, that is the devil looking to devour Gods people. What God is able to do is to turn the situation around and use it to His advantage.

FoxxyLocs

I don't mind Christian rap. I do have a problem with people taking secular music and trying to turn it into church music or vice versa. Like when the pastor starts singing an Alicia Keys song in the pulpit. Or when "Stomp" was getting played in the club and people were dancing to it like it was a 2 Live Crew song, that is all kinds of wrong.

A lot of times it is so hard to distinguish between christian rap that is truly uplifting the word of God, and that which is distorting the word of God. If you can make that distinction, so be it, but a lot of people can't and so are led astray.

IMO, you should not be trying to bring God down to a sinners level, but as sinners we should be trying to bring ourselves up to God's standards. It's one thing to meet people where they are, but that doesn't mean you should be dressing like them, speaking like them, making them feel like what they're doing isn't so bad.

To me what this does is say, hey you can be a Christian and you don't even really need to change what you're doing. You can still dress the same way, and listen to the same kind of music, only now you're doing it for Christ. Nothing should have that strong of a hold on you that you wouldn't be willing to leave it behind for God. So for me to say I'll be a Christian as long as I don't have to give up my music, is just wrong.

I'm not one who believes that all secular music is bad though. I think a good rap song that doesn't have any cursing or negative messages is fine to listen to. I just wouldn't label it as "holy" and I wouldn't play it in church.

I'm still working on this issue within myself, so my thoughts may be a little scatterbrained.

HappilyLiberal

I'm torn:

I don't particularly like bringing secular music into the Church. However, if this is a way to bring others in so they can hear and absorb the WORD, then I am not going to knock it.

HappilyLiberal

I don't mind Christian rap. I do have a problem with people taking secular music and trying to turn it into church music or vice versa. Like when the pastor starts singing an Alicia Keys song in the pulpit. Or when "Stomp" was getting played in the club and people were dancing to it like it was a 2 Live Crew song, that is all kinds of wrong.

Yep... I immediately thought of "Stomp" when I saw the title of this thread.

This is something that I think is a good compromise of merging hip hop with the Gospel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wNmlrdCBkE