Homeschool Thread

Discussion in 'Education' started by yardyspice, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Kurlee

Kurlee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    About the bubble letters? Lol. I have also noticed that there is little emphasis on penmanship and as a result, kids can't write properly.

Sharpened, jdvzmommy and tiffers like this.
  2. tiffers

tiffers Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

Blog Posts:
    Oh! I thought I'd said something offensive or something! I read over my post about 50 times trying to figure out what I said wrong. :lol:

Yeah, schools don't teach penmanship at all anymore. No cursive and damn sure nothing about writing print neatly. It's a shame.

Sharpened and Kurlee like this.
  3. Kurlee

Kurlee Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Lol! Sorry. I forget that when typing, people can't hear your tone of voice :giggle:. It's a real shame that schools are barely teaching basic skills. SMH. It's great that you're looking into alternatives.

4. Leeda.the.Paladin

Leeda.the.Paladin Formerly KCcurly

Blog Posts:
    It's going ok. I'm not doing it every single day but it's attempting to teach my older son some faster stratgies for mental triple digit addition. The problem I have with it is that there are a few typos that I've found (the answers are incorrect). I noticed a lot in the 1st e-book which is for the younger age group and I sent them a message about it. Now I'm noticing them in the older kids book, though not as much. I'm not going to send them a message though because I dont feel like editing a book that should already be edited.

I think it's still to early for me to tell if it's really helping, but I will definitely update.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    tiffers likes this.
  5. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    DS (4) had his first day at preschool and it went well.

I took the other kids to a coffee shop where I had some coffee (they had hot cocoa) and we did some school work for about an hour and a half. Afterwards they had a co-op class. We went to pick DS up afterwards and then finished our school work at home. In the car driving to and fro, we had a Spanish DVD playing. I'm trying to make sure every moment is a learning moment, even in the car.

I also worked with DS (4) on reading. I'm using the How to Teach Your Child to REad in 100 Easy Lessons book. This is something that worked with my first son, but my daughter never really needed. He's sounding out small words, yay. DD was fully reading short sentences at this point so I'm trying not to compare because I know that she's more advanced in general. I still think he's doing well :)

In the car driving to and fro, we had a Spanish DVD playing. I'm trying to make sure every moment is a learning moment, even in the car.

qchelle and tiffers like this.
  6. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    There's a lady in my homeschool group who has a 10 year old son. The group has a lot of events that take place almost every day of the week. We obviously can not make it to all of them because I work and we have other activities after our school hours, so taking up learning time with other events is not always feasible.

Anyway, this lady is always going to events every day. And they are not usually educational events, but stuff like archery and video game day. I've often wondered how in the world she got her schooling done. She's always the first one to say how she doesn't believe children should be on a schedule. And they learn what HE wants to learn (we do this to a small extent but it's not all we do) and they would never use a curriculum. And her son is more socialized not being homeschooled, etc, etc etc. She gives all this advice to the new members who are just starting to homeschool about how things need to be child led and that it works for them. And she really seems to look down on those who homeschool in a similar fashion to "regular" school.

I've always ignored her because I know that what works for us is being on a schedule. I have slacker tendencies as does my oldest son, so I know that slackers left to their own devices will continue to slack :lol:

So, imagine my surprise when she makes a long, distraught post on our FB page that she's trying to get them on a schedule because she and her son have both been slacking off, and he's resistant. She also made a post about how her son is behind and how he lacks reading comprehension.

Now, I'm not saying that she caused his learning problems. I'm just floored because she gives people "advice" and this advice is not tried and tested. The advice is always to basically just let the child do what they want or to find something fun to do. These comments always receive a ton of "likes".

I just found out this woman has an adult son who is failing college, and is a very "soft" looking man. He recently fled school because he got his feelings hurt by a friend at school.

This is not a woman who is rearing productive young men. But she is handing out advice like candy and for the accolades. She is saying what people want to hear. She is also a part of the group of being different for the sake of being different and "special".

My point in writing all this is to please, please watch out who you take advice from. It's like hair gurus or money gurus or love gurus on any other platform. Most of them dont know what they are talking about. I've noticed this is running rampant in homeschooling.

Do I think homeschooling is great? Absolutely. Do I think homeschooling can be a huge failure? Absolutely. I'm seeing it a lot the longer I do it.

Sorry this post is so long. From now on when I get advice, I will be asking for receipts.

7. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    I ordered some Petri dishes (with agar) online and they came in yesterday. I’d like for us to do a whole scientific method process. I’m going to sit down with DS later and we will plan it out. I got a Scientific Method bundle on TPT and we’ve been working our way through it, doing small experiments. I’m excited to see if he will enjoy doing it on a larger scale.

8. Leeda.the.Paladin

Blog Posts:
    I am really enjoying Mystery Science. I’m still using the free trial but am seriously considering purchasing the whole membership.

classychic1908 and IslandMummy like this.