Honest Product reviews.........Are you afraid to be honest??? a RANT.

Lucky's Mom

Hey ladies!!!

I have been a member of hair boards - for a long time now....( over 3 years)
And I have written a good share of reviews for different products.......from combs to conditioners....

Some good, some great, some awful and some TERRIBLE!!!!

I actually trust my hair sisters to tell the truth about products/ procedures, etc.................and then conduct my own research...:bookworm:

I have been for the most part, brutally honest about what does or does not work, overpriced, etc.... as most everyone has.....

AND.......................

These reviews have gained different results.....

Sometimes, I have been sent a random e-mail acknowledging that I wrote a review, and I have been sent something FOR FREE 'new and improved':yep: and asked to review the new item.

Sometimes - I have been sent a product FOR FREE to try for myself.....:yep:

And other times.........................:sad: I have been sent messages to justify the company's product/ why the price is high, etc..................:rolleyes:

:look::look: No need to justify or defend. That IMO - is BAD Business.
I don't think anyone has to.
We at LCHF, buy, love it, hate it, and make it well known..... most of the time. Proctor and Gamble could learn a few things if they came to the boards!!!! But P&G does not care.....

Neither does Carol's Daughter.... and IMO.... they TOTALLY Suck.

If I had to answer for all the reviews and all the products I have tried.......

Whoa. The list would be a mile long.

Are you afraid to be honest on the boards????????????

I am thinking it may be best to keep my comments reviews to myself.
What do you think? Would you want to hear truthful reviews?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Yep, I'm honest. And I would want people to be honest with me, so I could improve my product :yep:

So Sam, let me get this skraight........ Companies send you free stuff because of your reviews on LHCF? Do I need to start writing more reviews? :lachen:
:sekret:

Last edited:

tailormade84

girl you better not stop telling the truth...shoot.....i'll lose my best guinea pig ;)

LOL....but seriously, we all depend on the truth of reviews to help guide us on our hair journey. i truly value an HONEST and THOROUGH review, so when i try stuff (for a while) i like to throw in my lil 2 cents to help others as well....so for the sake of my wallet (and DH's poor heart), i implore all ladies to please keep on keeping it real :)

iNicola

No, i'm not afraid to be honest. No sense in fooling myself or others. I would hope that the reviews on here are honest since people tend to jump on bandwagons, I have jumped on a couple myself.

Lucky's Mom

Yep, I'm honest :yep:

I'm not gonna say I loved something when it was complete crap! :lol:

So Sam, let me get this skraight........ Companies send you free stuff because of your reviews on LHCF? Do I need to start writing more reviews? :lachen:

Yes. :yep: This has happened to me on several occassions, on BHM, and here. I have been sent all sorts o' stuff. But - that usually happens to several bloggers, if they write well, and their site gets lots of traffic.
When my Fotki was alive and well - I got lots of traffic and several messages about different reviews. :look: It is important to be honest - and NICE.

My BEEF????? Companies who defend their product. There really is no need for that. If something is great... people will buy it - no matter what. If it is AWFUL, that will get around too. In this economy - we are all trying to be wise....

Story:

I once had a product Go BAD..... (mold in the product within 30 days):blush: - and I wrote about the expereince. I also called the company - to be greeted by a rude and cyncical owner. She Shifted the blame:perplexed I never bought another thing from that company.... even though I liked a couple of other products.

And there are other companies that I WILL NEVER buy from again.

girl you better not stop telling the truth...shoot.....i'll lose my best guinea pig ;)

LOL....but seriously, we all depend on the truth of reviews to help guide us on our hair journey. i truly value an HONEST and THOROUGH review, so when i try stuff (for a while) i like to throw in my lil 2 cents to help others as well....so for the sake of my wallet (and DH's poor heart), i implore all ladies to please keep on keeping it real :)

I am feeling you girl.
I will keep opening my mouth then.....................:lachen:

I would hope that everyone is being honest when they review things here. If I hear about a product, this is the first place I go to search and see if I can find any reviews/posts about it. This helps me a lot instead of just going to the store and freebasing on all the products. I know I'm a PJ so that is not the business for my hair or my wallet.

Fine 4s

What is your purpose for writing reviews?
Is the cost worth NOT writing them?
To thine own self be true and the rest can go to...

I didn't like the reaction to the first if not one of the few reviews I wrote, so I understand the hesitation. Businesses are built around making reviews (Siskel and Roeper, CNET etc.) on prods. If they're brave enough to start a business selling products, they ought to be brave enough to receive feedback. In this sense, ITA that is is bad business (weak) to defend the product. However it is good business practice IMO to send the same product for the consumer to test or a different product they company thinks the consumer would like.

Wah? I'm suppose to each sh*t AND like it?

Kay.Dee

I've stopped going by reviews unless the person almost has an identical hair type. And I also already know what my hair doesn't do well with, so those products are ruled out automatically.

No offense their are some people who are PJS (admittedly) and love EVERYTHING or will support a business because the owner is black, or because they are getting free ish to advertise it.

I was so mad with my Darcy's Botanical products. They were all horrible. And that was when I stopped listening to 99% of products reviews.

And Lucky's Mom, thanks for admitting this. I figured that was going on, but I was never sure to what degree.

baddison

natural for good
Yep, I'm honest. And I would want people to be honest with me, so I could improve my product :yep:

LOL!!!! :lachen::lachen: That's pretty much the only thing I read, too....LOL!!!:lachen::lachen:

Eisani

I'm always real about my opinions of products. I agree that's it's downright tacky for someone to contact a reviewer to defend their product, especially in a negative or aggressive manner. Everyone is NOT going to agree or necessarily have the same experience. Respect that. Sam, keep it 100...that's all you can do. Besides, you know from being on these boards, negative reviews or no, some people are going to go ahead and purchase anyway.

baddison

natural for good

Totally agree!! Ditto what she said...:yep:

Nayna

Unbothered
I agree. I'm totally down with the philosophy that what works for one doesn't work for others but I genuinely like hearing other people's take on various products. As consumers it's our right to voice our opinions on products we spend our money on, and I for one appreciate it.

darlingdiva

I'm always real about my opinions of products. I agree that's it's downright tacky for someone to contact a reviewer to defend their product, especially in a negative or aggressive manner. Everyone is NOT going to agree or necessarily have the same experience. Respect that. Sam, keep it 100...that's all you can do. Besides, you know from being on these boards, negative reviews or no, some people are going to go ahead and purchase anyway.

I completely agree. Product makers--or people who do or make things in or for a public arena--must realize that they leave themselves open for judgement. Not everyone is going to like their product, and they must accept that.

I'm always honest about my product reviews. However, I use products based on the ingredients & my hair's needs. When I find a product that works for me, I stick with it. The reviews are fun to read, but they aren't going to make me purchase anything.

msa

I've stopped going by reviews unless the person almost has an identical hair type. And I also already know what my hair doesn't do well with, so those products are ruled out automatically.

No offense their are some people who are PJS (admittedly) and love EVERYTHING or will support a business because the owner is black, or because they are getting free ish to advertise it.

I was so mad with my Darcy's Botanical products. They were all horrible. And that was when I stopped listening to 99% of products reviews.

And Lucky's Mom, thanks for admitting this. I figured that was going on, but I was never sure to what degree.

The bold is funny because I don't set much store by reviews from people who LOVE everything they try. It just doesn't seem right to me.

SEMO

I think everyone appreciates honest and thoughtful reviews. LHCF is a community (of mostly women) that tend to share openly and go to one another for advice. There's a certain group ethos and trust that we have built up. I'm sure companies would love to tap into that to promote their products (women of color buy more hair products than anyone else).

But I, for one, am happy that we don't have popular vendors roaming all over the board now. I do think that would hinder people being as honest as they want to be (I have seen this happen on another hair board where a popular vendor posts--it's even happened here a few times).

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

I'll tell anyone in a heartbeat that GVP is my boo and that the organix shampoo can kick rocks. I never understood the point of sugarcoating a review.

SJ -- if you ever need a partner in crime to perform some reviews...:sekret:

Angelicus

Hey girl, I totally agree. I am very honest with my reviews. I will even write a company and tell them about themselves. I know that there are a lot of people trying to promote products on here and they probably never even use them. I also understand that everyone's hair is different though.

Lucky's Mom, I'll be your honest reviewer buddy. :)

*fabulosity*

I am honest about my reviews... lmao.. ain't a damn person sent me anything for "free" for making good reviews. However, I will say everyone's hair and EXPECTATIONS of a product are different! I cannot repeat that enough. Something that works will on my hair.. might not work well on someone with 6D hair or someone with 1C hair. I try to impart my honest opinion of the stuff and expediently shift that sucker to the exchange forum if it doesn't work for me.. lol.. :lachen:

gradygirl

I hope and assume that most people are being honest with their reviews but the bolded makes me wonder. Thanks for being honest Lucky's Mom and keep it up.

MA2010

I'm honest about the reviews I give on the products I try.

Products may change overtime much like our "love" or "hate" for a product.

When stalking (umm visiting) fotkis I appreciate when someone comes back to edit that the product is no longer being used because it........sucked!!! That's a fair review IMO.

MA2010

I am however guilty of using a product one time then quickly trying to come in here and RAVE about it :look:

But hey, some products just "got it like that"......lol :rolleyes:

Lucky's Mom

Yea - I agree with you.
I have done reviews for my own sanity and to hopefully help others...I never did the reviews to get free items. That was just a nice circumstance......

Rain20

Free "ish"! Where, where, what, and how do you get free "ish"? That's all I want to know.

I will always give honest reviews but I try to put as much description of why I liked the product, what kind of hair and hair problems I have. Half of what works on this board just doesn't work for me. I have to check ingredients, product texture and how it absorbs into my hair. Most raves are just "I love this product" without much detail and those are the reviews I just skip over.

Anyway did I ask, "How do you get free "ish" already?"

Lucky's Mom

I think everyone appreciates honest and thoughtful reviews. LHCF is a community (of mostly women) that tend to share openly and go to one another for advice. There's a certain group ethos and trust that we have built up. I'm sure companies would love to tap into that to promote their products (women of color buy more hair products than anyone else).

But I, for one, am happy that we don't have popular vendors roaming all over the board now. I do think that would hinder people being as honest as they want to be (I have seen this happen on another hair board where a popular vendor posts--it's even happened here a few times).

Yep - I have seen that too many times on forums..... Not a good look for the vendor. It would actually be better for those folks not to let us know who they are.

Lucky's Mom

Free "ish"! Where, where, what, and how do you get free "ish"? That's all I want to know.

I will always give honest reviews but I try to put as much description of why I liked the product, what kind of hair and hair problems I have. Half of what works on this board just doesn't work for me. I have to check ingredients, product texture and how it absorbs into my hair. Most raves are just "I love this product" without much detail and those are the reviews I just skip over.

Anyway did I ask, "How do you get free "ish" already?"

Hey - it just happened. Totally God.

I did not plan it.... It just happened. And I don't have free stuff coming to my house every week....

:lachen:
I am grateful. A couple of those items are indispensible, while others - they were and are trash.

MonaLisa

I am honest about my reviews... lmao.. ain't a damn person sent me anything for "free" for making good reviews. However, I will say everyone's hair and EXPECTATIONS of a product are different! I cannot repeat that enough. Something that works will on my hair.. might not work well on someone with 6D hair or someone with 1C hair. I try to impart my honest opinion of the stuff and expediently shift that sucker to the exchange forum if it doesn't work for me.. lol.. :lachen:

That was nicely said Fab....:yep:

and you know I'll be right there to unselfishly support you on the exchange forum..

:look:

Minty

this has happened to me with SkinActives. I've purchased a LOT of their products to try and quite frankly the majority of their products are not doing SQUAT for my skin. They say to send them feedback on their forums, but everytime I do, the owner gets on and "advices" that I do something.....more exfoliating, more this, rub this, buy that, etc......A product should be able to stand on its own, or have clear instructions to the customer. If it can not, do not blame the customer. It was very insulting to imply that I didn't know how to use a damn face cream!

Please ladies, be honest with whatever you use. And be specific. If you have psoriasis and you use a product that gives you more dandruff, don't state in the review that the product gave you terrible dry scalp and dandruff. You have a pre-existing condition and that needs to be stated.

We are a community of women who outside of this environment probably would not befriend each other, but here we are acquaintances - no one will look out for our own best interests except ourselves. And I appreciate everyone of you who takes the time out to painstakingly try each and every product their wallets (their husband's wallet) will allow so that I may benefit from the information.

Thank you.

BostonMaria

Luckysmom, I actually have been wondering the same thing

I was sent a package from Curls and she asked me to do a review on her products. Of course I said yes. Then after I said yes I was like OMG what if I don't like it? I know how I am, I can't lie. So luckily the stuff she sent me was wonderful. But I made sure to say in my Youtube video that it was a free sample that way people can take my comment and think whatever they want. I read/watch reviews and I believe what people are telling me. I wouldn't want anybody paying $26 for a bottle of gel that doesn't work.