Hot Comb while Transitioning??

LiveLoveLife

Sorry if this has been addressed...the search is not working for me...

I'm transitioning to natural (I'm 6 months post:drunk:) and I'm going to get my hair done tomorrow, but I'm scared because I know that this stylist uses the hot comb on new growth. Is is damaging to hot comb the 2-3" of natural hair that I currently have?? I don't want her to rake thru my relaxed hair..even tho it will be cut off eventually...if anyone could help me that would be great! Thanks!!! :grin:

lilsparkle825

as long as you use a heat protectant you should be ok.

pinkskates uses a hot comb on the regular. look in the straight hair naturals thread (its on this page, or at least it is while i am typing this).

loulou82

I straightened my hair at 8 months post and suffered heat damage when the stylist used a pressing comb. So I would never go back to it as a transitioner. If using the traditional comb that goes in the stove the heat is uncontrolled and there could be hot spots that can cause damage. I would recommend that your stylist use a flat iron (ceramic if possible) and heat protectant. The stylist I went to was a natural, properly shampooed my hair, DC me after she twisted my hair, and applied a heat protectant.