Hot combing relaxed hair???

gabulldawg

I see hot combs as the "devil" because I was burned weekly for about 5 years on my neck, ears, and scalp between the ages of 6 and 11 when I was getting my hair pressed. I have never been burned by a flat iron, the heat is much easier to control, and I believe that ceramic irons are less damaging.

I can definitely relate to that! But I would attribute that to my mom's lack of skill rather than the actual hot comb. :lachen:

Solitude

I can definitely relate to that! But I would attribute that to my mom's lack of skill rather than the actual hot comb. :lachen:

:lachen:Very true. My mom & I even talk about that now. She is like, "I tried!"

When I did go to a stylist (rarely) I didn't get burned as long as I "held my ears!" lol

Puddles

On Cloud 9
Well I did.......and sometimes still do. Never had a problem.

I believe it's how you take care of your hair over all. That extra heat didn't damage my hair at all. I would press that new growth without "Any" breakage. I feel it is because my hair was/is well moisturized.

Now that I'm older and I get hot easier and faster then ever.....I don't waste my time pressing the ng. I'll sweat it out before I was through. :look:

Everyone saying don't, you should never, it will fall out, etc.........to each his/her own. Everyone's hair is different.
One rule "doesn't" fit "All."

africa

For the people that think a hot comb is bad for relaxed hair while a flat itron is okay, what do you see as the difference?

I've always wondered about this and am happy to see this thread.

Bliss806

For the people that think a hot comb is bad for relaxed hair while a flat itron is okay, what do you see as the difference?

I've always wondered about this and am happy to see this thread.

That's a good question. I don't see why a hot comb will make your hair fall out and a flat iron wont. Does anyone know the difference?

yuriko

I think most people still use the stove hot comb, and it very difficult to control to the heat, hence the breaking off of relaxed hair.

I use a hot comb on my new growth from time to time. But it is electric and ceramic, so I set the heat on low. Its not hotter than my flat iron, so doesn't really make a difference.

I wouldn't recommend using a stove, metal pressing comb unless you are very skilled.

PinkSkates

Question to the ladies who told OP to use a flat iron instead of a hot comb. What is the difference between direct heat from a hot comb and direct heat from a flat iron... Besides the fact that a hot comb has teeth to seperate the hair strands. And besides the fact that you can control the heat of a hot comb with a white towel. Just curious.

yuriko

Question to the ladies who told OP to use a flat iron instead of a hot comb. What is the difference between direct heat from a hot comb and direct heat from a flat iron... Besides the fact that a hot comb has teeth to seperate the hair strands. And besides the fact that you can control the heat of a hot comb with a white towel. Just curious.

I don't know for other people, but for me its easier to catch the hair at the roots with the hot comb as opposed to the flat iron, so that is why i prefer it

Muse

Yeah I didn't get that either. Why not a hot comb but a flat iron? I understand the argument about controlling the heat but perhaps they should have said and make sure you don't crank that flat iron up to 400 degrees (some people will do this for the straightest hair possible). Personally I think using either one is a bigger risk on RELAXED hair because it is compromised already. If I decided to stay relaxed I would quickly learn how to rollerset.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I wouldnt do it but the trick seems to be in skill and the heat of the pressing comb if some relaxed ladies are doing it without bad results.

Lucky's Mom

Marcel irons and the like - Were DEATH to my relaxed hair.

But my hair was also in terrible shape.

Lawd. the bad old days.

Lucky's Mom

I wouldnt do it but the trick seems to be in skill and the heat of the pressing comb if some relaxed ladies are doing it without bad results.

I think most people are NOT skilled, hence ALL of the problems that have come from Salon / stylist nightmares.

africa

I think its just about hair health generally and regulating heat. I don't really see a difference between a hot comb and flat iron for relaxed or natural hair. If you relaxed or natural hair is damaged, or very fine naturally, it might break off.

Lucky's Mom

Marcel irons are the DEVIL!
Stoves for curling/flat irons are the DEVIL!

I know some people's hair can take it, but over time...

TOTALLY True......................:yep:

edited to add:

Thermal Irons temporarily add curl to hair.
Thermal Irons were introduced by Marcel Grateau in 1875.
Today, thermal irons are often called "Marcel Curling Irons".
Thermal curling is achieved by applying a heated iron to dry hair with an electric curling iron or a Marcel curling iron that is heated in a stove.

1875??????????

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I think its just about hair health generally and regulating heat. I don't really see a difference between a hot comb and flat iron for relaxed or natural hair. If you relaxed or natural hair is damaged, or very fine naturally, it might break off.

I totally Disagree.

Hot Metal Plates vs. Ionic and temperature controled plates,some with steam?

If these were the gold standard, more people would be using them, period.
I don't care how many 'years' someone has used these ancient torture devices....technology and science have come a long way.

I just cannot believe some of these stylists are still living in the fifities.
:nono:

Now - IMO - NO one should be using ANY Hot irons on hair so fragile....Relaxed hair is in a fragile state....At least mine was, and it was not taken care of by my stylist.

Last edited:

lady_godiva

Is it true that your not supposed to hot comb relaxed hair or it will break off?? I've heard this for many years however, my grandmother does it and says its a myth. She said that she hot combs her roots when she needs a touch up. Can someone please tell me whats right
I hot combed my hair once and it did not take my hair out. I wouldn't make a practice of it though.

africa

I totally Disagree.

Hot Metal Plates vs. Ionic and temperature controled plates,some with steam?

If these were the gold standard, more people would be using them, period.
I don't care how many 'years' someone has used these ancient torture devices....technology and science have come a long way.

I just cannot believe some of these stylists are still living in the fifities.

Now - IMO - NO one should be using ANY Hot irons on hair so fragile....Relaxed hair is in a fragile state....At least mine was, and it was not taken care of by my stylist.

I'm not sure where the strong disagreement is coming from. There's nothing in my post about steam, ceramic, or ionic. Flat irons and hot combs come in all categories ceramic, ionic etc. I haven't heard of a steamed hot comb :grin:, but you follow me.

My point was head for head: i.e. a marcel hot comb vs flat iron, and a ceramic hotcomb vs a ceramic flat iron, it really shouldn't make a difference if you are using care and have healthy hair.

ladylibra

Is it true that your not supposed to hot comb relaxed hair or it will break off?? I've heard this for many years however, my grandmother does it and says its a myth. She said that she hot combs her roots when she needs a touch up. Can someone please tell me whats right

it's not a myth. last time someone brought a stove comb near my head, i was 11 and my hair was relaxed. but the lady didn't know cuz i still had so much "texture" in my relaxed hair, she assumed i was natural.

and her burning off my hair is what resulted in my first haircut.

Sly

Does anyone know how to regulate the hot comb (whether
or
. . .

I'm talking, hot enough to get salon-straight results but without being a burn victim (ie. you know, where you see smoke, have burn highlights :lachen: :nono:, and smell burnt hair):look:. My stylist says there is "just an art to pressing"? (I'm like, girl, give up the goods) :laugh: She uses the stove and works magic on these roots. I never smell burnt hair. As far as I know, you can't regulate the stove...:scratchch: Any thoughts?

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
Does anyone know how to regulate the hot comb (whether
or
. . .

I'm talking, hot enough to get salon-straight results but without being a burn victim (ie. you know, where you see smoke, have burn highlights :lachen: :nono:, and smell burnt hair):look:. My stylist says there is "just an art to pressing"? (I'm like, girl, give up the goods) :laugh: She uses the stove and works magic on these roots. I never smell burnt hair. As far as I know, you can't regulate the stove...:scratchch: Any thoughts?

:lachen: I remember those!!!

You can't regulate the stove (at least all of the stoves I've seen), but you can "control" the heat of the iron. When I was natural and my godmother used to press my hair. She would place the iron on a towel to check it's temp. If the iron changed the color of the towel or sizzled too loud, of course it was too hot. She would keep the iron on the towel until it reached the temps she was comfortable with using.

I wonder why they don't just come out with an iron with adjustable heat? Sounds like a good idea

Last edited:

Sly

:lachen: I remember those!!!

You can't regulate the stove (at least all of the stoves I've seen), but you can "control" the heat of the iron. When I was natural and my godmother used to press my hair. She would place the iron on a towel to check it's temp. If the iron changed the color of the towel or sizzled too loud, of course it was too hot. She would keep the iron on the towel until it reached the temps she was comfortable with using.

I wonder why they don't just come out with an iron with adjustable heat? Sounds like a good idea

Burn highlights were no joke! :lachen:

Sounds like your godmother used this lady's technique

I know some that can press a head of hair with no towel, no spray bottle (^^^ never seen that tip before), no blowing, . . . guess, like cooking without measurements "they just know". . . *shrugs*

afjhnsn

Bump! I'm trying to use no direct heat for a while now, but I've used an electric pressing comb and had some breakage/shedding but that's b/c I didn't know as much as I know now.
I agree that it's all about technique and being careful (and maintaining healthy hair practices and DCing beforehand).