Hot-combing relaxed hair?!

HermioneWeasley

I have been displeased with the quality of service in the Dominican salons I've gone to so I decided to go to an African-American salon that was highly recommended. First of all, I asked for a wash and set and the guy said, "We don't do that here." :confused: I asked him why and he said that over time, rollers will break off your hair because hair wasn't meant to be stretched continuously over an object. It sounded like nonsense, but I had noticed some thinning spots in my hair, which is why I in part switched to mesh rollers. So he said he would wash me and blow me out with a warm dryer and bump my ends. It was more heat than I use, but I thought that it would be okay.

So he does the blow out, which is okay, and then parts my hair. I feel this pulling sensation and a sizzling sound. I'm getting concerned, but I thought, okay, this is the curling iron. Then he asks me to bend my head and I find out this moron is HOT COMBING my hair! I tell him to stop that ish immediately because my hair is relaxed, and he gets an attitude. "We aint the Spanish people here. We always do that. Every black stylist knows that if you got new growth, it needs to be straightened before it can curl."

Needless to say, I left, and no I did not pay. The man followed me out into the street cussing, but I kept it moving. It was too hot to get into it.

But now I have a patch of hair that feels rough and brittle. :ohwell: Generally I do my hair myself, but I haven't had the time lately. All I want is a decent hairstylist who can handle my hair and doesn't act like he's lost his/her dang mind! I think that is an impossibility in New York City.

Whaaa? Okay that makes ME angry! I'm so glad you got out of there!! Good job at taking control of your hair! I can't imagine using a hot comb on relaxed hair! Is he trying to undo all your progress? Good luck on finding a decent stylist!

ahsiar29

Yes I truly understand. I had that experience once with them In NY as well. When I got there they were saying we are not Dominicans and we dont use to much heat it is damaging.

So I was like Oh good then I go ahead and get my hair done. Well First she washed and then sat me under the dryer as is. I was like :perplexed ... So then after that she used the blow dryer and I was like:perplexed again. Then she proceeded to hot comb my hair :eek: !!! I said wait a minute U have used more heat on my hair then need be. She couldnt say anything but its not direct heat:confused: !!! I said I must b your first customer and u must have just came straight out of beauty school. And I got up and told her I wont be your first experiment honey!!! And yes I got cussed out. I said that ok I be all that and u still not getting paid!!! So I understand what u are feeling.

Have to be careful. Can not let anybody and everybody in your hair.

myco

HermioneWeasley said:
I have been displeased with the quality of service in the Dominican salons I've gone to so I decided to go to an African-American salon that was highly recommended. First of all, I asked for a wash and set and the guy said, "We don't do that here." :confused: I asked him why and he said that over time, rollers will break off your hair because hair wasn't meant to be stretched continuously over an object. It sounded like nonsense, but I had noticed some thinning spots in my hair, which is why I in part switched to mesh rollers. So he said he would wash me and blow me out with a warm dryer and bump my ends. It was more heat than I use, but I thought that it would be okay.

So he does the blow out, which is okay, and then parts my hair. I feel this pulling sensation and a sizzling sound. I'm getting concerned, but I thought, okay, this is the curling iron. Then he asks me to bend my head and I find out this moron is HOT COMBING my hair! I tell him to stop that ish immediately because my hair is relaxed, and he gets an attitude. "We aint the Spanish people here. We always do that. Every black stylist knows that if you got new growth, it needs to be straightened before it can curl."

Needless to say, I left, and no I did not pay. The man followed me out into the street cussing, but I kept it moving. It was too hot to get into it.

But now I have a patch of hair that feels rough and brittle. :ohwell: Generally I do my hair myself, but I haven't had the time lately. All I want is a decent hairstylist who can handle my hair and doesn't act like he's lost his/her dang mind! I think that is an impossibility in New York City.

Stylist:
"Why waste time breaking your hair off slowly with a wash and set:rolleyes:, when I can fry it off of your head in 3 seconds flat? Then you can come back to me every week for my "magical" deep conditiong treatments to try and stop all this mysterious breakage and dryness. Don't forget that trim (read:cut) that you must have to get rid of all these ends that are now damaged. "

Stupid people get on my nerves. :smirk:

Incredible1ne

That is just crazy. Every stylist that I know has told me that hot combing relaxed hair is a no no because it breaks off. I have had the new growth pressed though and had no problem. Was he doing just the new growth or the entire length?

sareca

:look: Once a month, when I wear my hair straight, hot comb the new growth. Need something with teeth. Flat irons make me crazy. I've thinking about trying one more time w/ MaxiGlide tho. It has teeth.

atlien11

myco said:
Stylist:
"Why waste time breaking your hair off slowly with a wash and set:rolleyes:, when I can fry it off of your head in 3 seconds flat? Then you can come back to me every week for my "magical" deep conditiong treatments to try and stop all this mysterious breakage and dryness. Don't forget that trim (read:cut) that you must have to get rid of all these ends that are now damaged. "

Stupid people get on my nerves. :smirk:
I am so glad you walked out!!! Myco said it best, Stupid people are everywhere :sekret:.

WomanlyCharm

This was no stylist...he was a fool. :mad:
every black beautician I've ever gone to knows you don't hotcomb relaxed hair. I'm glad he didn't get paid with his ignorant self.