• We will be upgrading the forum, gallery and blogs with the latest versions of the software we use. This will cause some disruption. We will however try our best to minimize it. The maintenance will start the first week of May 2022 and will continue until all upgrades are completed (both software and hardware). Thank you for your understanding.

Hot Oil Treatment

Chrissy811

Can some one tell me how to do one? I don't think I ever knew how. Do you we your hair before you put the oil on? Do you wash first? I'm so confused so I thought I would check in with the gurus.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I do my hot oil treatments on dry hair. I oil my scalp and the length of my hair. I wear a plastic cap for 30-60 minutes then follow up with my heat cap 30-60 minutes.

Reecie

I do my hot oil treatments on dry hair. I oil my scalp and the length of my hair. I wear a plastic cap for 30-60 minutes then follow up with my heat cap 30-60 minutes.

Diddo. I have found that doing Hot Oil Treatments on Dry Hair works wonders. :love3::love3: My only suggestion is to use a natural oil (EVOO, Coconut, Jojoba, Avocado, etc.) Please refrain from V05, or other oils that are not purely refined.

prettybyrd

I used to do them on wet pre-washed hair, now I use olive oil on dry hair. I've found that this works wonders on my dry hair, and gives my dry itchy scalp some relief.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm sure the ladies will chime in, but I found this thread on how to do a hot oil treatment. Personally, I have done a HOT on dry and wet hair, washed and unwashed. Lately, I've done them over my deep conditioner - I dc for about 20 to 30 minutes, pour the HOT over the dc and let sit another 10 to 15 minutes.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=111829http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=111829http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=111829

I will definitely consider this especially in the Winter.

This will give me a good reason to pull out my Heat Cap Again. Since Steaming, I've kicked it to the Curb. Will pull out for HOTS.

Will try them both ways. Thanks

delitefulmane

I use the self-heating hot oil! You can find it in most bss! I love it and it feels heavenly when it touches my scalp!

sharifeh

ok so i just did a treatment just now, put on a shower cap, then scarf,
5 minutes later, there is oil all over my neck and dripping down my face!!
what did I do wrong?
too much oil?

tocktick

I do mine on dry hair. I heat up olive oil for about 20 secs and then apply to my hair (in four sections). After that is complete, I wear a shower cap and go to bed.

kinkycotton

what did I do wrong?
too much oil?

I have the same problem on dry hair. :nono: Just recently I started applying this treatment on damped hair but haven't notice any drop dead results.

bumping......

prettybyrd

what did I do wrong?
too much oil?

Maybe a wee bit! :)

How did you apply the oil? I use just a little on my fingers from a small dish. I never pour from the bottle or spray it on, because then I don't have maximum control and can use too much.

I hope that it turns out well!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Doing the Hot Oil Treatments (HOTS) is a Great Idea and will be a Great Way For Me to use up some of the Oils I have in my Stash that I don't use very much (or hardly at all).:perplexed

It will also help me determine which oils I will continue to buy. Here are a few of the Oils I currently have but don't use often:

Vatika
Parachute Coconut
Almond
Jojoba
EVCO
EVOO
Wheat Germ
Grapeseed
Avacado
Soybean
Sesame
Cold Pressed Castor *Will use the JBCO for other stuff*

So, I definitely will be incorporating HOTS into my weekly Winter Regimen as I continue to minimize my stash.:look:

ladytee2

I did a hot oil treatment this weekend. I used EVCO, EVOO, Wheat Germ oil and Honey. My hair is still nice and moisturized but I had a hard time rinsing. I dont think I used to much because it didnt run down my face or anything. I wash in the sink because I get better water pressure in my sink than my shower. Plus I was getting way too much acne from oil in my hair. Rinsing in the sink keeps the oil off my face and back. I think next time I will use a little less oil and rinse in the bath tub instead of the sink.