Hot Oil Treatments & Deep Conditioning

Hello Lovely Ladies,

I'm still in the process of developing a concrete regime/routine so even though I am incorporating steps as I pay attention to my hair's responses.........I am a little inconsistent or at a loss for what processes to do in & in what order to do them sometimes to get the optimum results & benefits.

I realize we are all different and the information here should be tweaked to our own individual needs so still keeping that in mind I'd like to inquire the following of those who routinely do hot oil treatments and/or deep conditioning treatments.

1. When/how (within your regime) do you do your hot oil treatment? (ie. shampoo, condition-wash and then hot oil)

2. When/how (within your regime) do you do your deep conditioning? What type of conditioner do you use?

3. Does doing both of these within the same sitting/washing or whatever cancel out the benefits, etc. of the other?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!!

~ Peace & Blessings ~

SignatureBeauty

Hello! Well I am Natural and I do Combo Treatment every 2 weeks, Now this is what I do:

I shampoo with Creme of Nature or Suave Milk n Honey

I will Apply Hair Mayo by ORS and massage it all over my hair gently.

Then I will apply my Homemade Oil Treatment which is made with Pure Olive oil and a few drops of Ylang Ylang,Sage, Lavendar,Ginger and maybe some Cedarwood. I massage the oil in with my hair mayo and sit under my hair dryer for 30 min. then I will rinse it out real good and style as usual. I love the way I get the oils to get deep in my hair shaft as well as my scalp when I am under the dryer,and I have been doing this for a while even when I relaxed my hair, and it works great for me! But I am sure you will get more great advice from these ladies!!

ekomba

1. When/how (within your regime) do you do your hot oil treatment? (ie. shampoo, condition-wash and then hot oil)
I'm natural now and do mostly rinsing and conditioner washes every 3days but when i used to transition from a relaxer, i would first do once a week a hot oil as a pre-shampoo (any oil be it hot 6oil, emu oil or jojoba oil my hair cant stand olive oil its leaves my hair like water mixed with oil i dont like the feeling) i would place the hot 6 oil bottle in a cup of hot water for a couple minutes until its warm and saturates my hair dry then cover with plastic cap for 30-45 mns do some house chores, then rinse it apply creme of nature shampoo green label followed by conditioner (mane and tail or vo5, keracare,..) and deep cond last

2. When/how (within your regime) do you do your deep conditioning? What type of conditioner do you use? deep cond last after cond, i used to apply lekair cholesterol mixed with conditioner and leave it overnight under cap and rinse in the morning the lekair would extend the hair and make it straighter

3. Does doing both of these within the same sitting/washing or whatever cancel out the benefits, etc. of the other?no when i rinse the deep cond in the morning the hair is softer and i rather do everything back then in one sitting but now that i m natural i dont deep cond anymore i m always in braids, i dont use shampoo anymore, i cond or rinse every 3 days.

Last edited:

CarLiTa

Hot oil goes before. I'm not sure what the purpose is frankly, so I only do them when my hair is EXTRA dry, so that way, it starts putting the moisture in the hair, and i follow with a moisturizing shampoo, etc

deep conditioning is after you shampoo, or after a protein treatment. you can mix oils in with that, but that not a "hot oil treatment"... that's just for added softness when u rinse it out.

I doubt that they cancel out the benefits of each other. I think it'd be good to do them both if ur hair was particularly dry before you washed it, or if you're going to use a protein treatment.

morehairplease

CarLiTa said:
Hot oil goes before. I'm not sure what the purpose is frankly, so I only do them when my hair is EXTRA dry, so that way, it starts putting the moisture in the hair, and i follow with a moisturizing shampoo, etc

deep conditioning is after you shampoo, or after a protein treatment. you can mix oils in with that, but that not a "hot oil treatment"... that's just for added softness when u rinse it out.

I doubt that they cancel out the benefits of each other. I think it'd be good to do them both if ur hair was particularly dry before you washed it, or if you're going to use a protein treatment.

CarLita thanks SO much for posting this! I was going to post this exact question this morning...good thing I searched the forum first before posting.

Healthb4Length

Sometimes I combine hotoils with my treatments and sometimes I apply it prior to my treatments. I find that when I apply hot oil prior to my treatments, I get really nice results. I also put hot oil on my hair after I finish my deep treatment with heat, prior to washing out I put hot oil on my hair and I get really great results this way too.