Hot Oil Treatments.....Pointless?

Barbie83

Since most LHCF'ers (including myself and correct me if I'm wrong) believe that oils are sealants and not moisturizers, my question is, what exactly is the point of a hot oil treatment if it doesn't really moisturize your hair?

Hot Oil users, what kinds of oil do u use and what are the benefits of hot oil treatments? Would it be better to add a conditioner to dry hair, then seal with the hot oil, then shampoo? :confused: I'm thinking of incorporating it into my winter weekly routine before I shampoo, but not if it won't make a real difference. :ohwell:

msa

Well some oils have been proven to penetrate the hair, so if you want to do a hot oil treatment I think it'd best to use one of those. Coconut oil is the most penetrating (all three layers), helps to slow protein loss from the strand, and helps keep the hair strand from swelling too much once wet. I use it before every wash, though I don't warm it up first. Olive and avocado oil are the other oils that penetrate.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/05/14/two-natural-oils-that-make-your-hair-shiny-and-strong/

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/reader-questions-coconut-oil-before.html

In general, I think oils do have some conditioning type properties, for example they make the hair feel softer and make it easier to comb. Wheat germ oil has ceramides, which are great for the hair. So even though every oil doesn't penetrate, and they don't really moisturize according to the technical definition, that doesn't mean it can't help your hair.

Stacy TheLady

Well i usually do a hot oil treatment with V05 moisturizing hot oil mixed with coconut oil and EVOO and the results are great. My hair is soft and shiny. I also did the V05 treatment alone and the reult was also good, however adding in the EVOO and CO really made it fabulous.

I wear my hair natural, am 4a/b.

melissa-bee

Hot oil treatments by themselves never really did anything for my hair. Sometimes i will deep condition my hair with heat, and after it's soaked in i'll add olive oil, and that works well.

Americka

Hot Oil users, what kinds of oil do u use and what are the benefits of hot oil treatments? I've used coconut, grapeseed, jojoba, and olive oils as HOTS. The benefit is the conditioning of the hair.

Would it be better to add a conditioner to dry hair, then seal with the hot oil, then shampoo? I clarify/poo before I DC or use a HOT. I have done HOTS alone and I have done HOTS over DCs. I've been doing HOTS over DCs lately and I like it. It's all about what you like and what works for you. HTH!

LaidBak

Do "most" LHCFers believe that? I hope not. The case of oil is not really moisture vs. sealing. There are other categories of action these substances can perform (i.e. conditioning). Its really important for people to understand that each oil is different; different chemical make up, molecule size, and function/benefit when applied to the hair. Lumping them all together as "sealants" just keeps you from experiencing the conditioning benefits each particular oil can offer. Its well worth doing the research and experimenting with them.

I for one will never give up EVOO warmed by itself or mixed in with my conditioner.

ceebee3

I love olive oil and I use it alone for hot oil treatments on dry hair and sometimes I mix with my deep conditioner.

I think it makes my hair shinier but I'm not really sure, I do like the way it makes my hair feel.

I use coconut oil to seal sometimes and it gives my hair great shine.

Glamorous_chic

i've recently started adding either evoo or coconut oil(vatika infused) to my cholesterol treatment, and the results have been great. never really thought about the science or chemistry of it though. thanks for the info.

MAMATO

I always do a hot oil treatment the night before my wash day. My hair is very tangly, so It helps my detangling session. My favorite oils are wheat germ oil, hemp oil and monoi oil (which is a mix of coconut oil marinated with gardenia flowers). HTH :)

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I added Weekly HOTs into my Fall/Winter Regimen. I feel that this addition will help: 1) combat dryness during this season, 2) strengthen my Hair and 3) Use Up the Oils that I have in my Stash, since I no longer pre-poo or mix things.

I do weekly HOTs Under my Heat Cap 30 minutes with Penetrating Oils such as; Avacado, Coconut & Olive, but also with Wheat Germ, Apricot Kernel, Macadamia Nut, Jojoba, Sweet Almond which all currently exist in my stash.:yep:

I have felt the "softness" in my hair after HOTS as well as my Hair/Scalp not feeling as Dry. My Co-wash and DC feel wonderful after HOTs.

My plan is to mix these oils with conditioners I want to use up such as Queen Helene Cholestrol, Organic Mayo Treatment, LeKair Shea & Mango which were purchased "specifically" to mix with the Oils for Pre-Poo's. And will use them with Heat.:yep:

HOTs will be extremely beneficial to me in various areas of my Regimen.:grin:

Neith

Oils don't moisturize, but PENETRATING oils do condition the hair. :yep:

I do a weekly hot oil treatment with coconut oil.

Bun Mistress

I use Camellia tee oil in the winter and coconut oil the summer (for some reason coconut and I were enemies last winter.) I try to do this every wash.

chebaby

i do overnight treatments with vatika frosting, coconut and evoo. i have wheat germ but i only mix it in conditioners.

Irresistible

Do "most" LHCFers believe that? I hope not. The case of oil is not really moisture vs. sealing. There are other categories of action these substances can perform (i.e. conditioning). Its really important for people to understand that each oil is different; different chemical make up, molecule size, and function/benefit when applied to the hair. Lumping them all together as "sealants" just keeps you from experiencing the conditioning benefits each particular oil can offer. Its well worth doing the research and experimenting with them.

I for one will never give up EVOO warmed by itself or mixed in with my conditioner.
yep one day oils didnt do nothing but seal and that was the lhcf bible , just out of nowhere

alot of us have been saying that that is NOT the case but some will still debate technicalities that only water is moisture , so oil only seals

all I know is I love my oils! :yep:

msbettyboop

I wasn't much of an hot oil treatment person until I discovered this bottle of natural oils from Lebanon that had all kinds of oils I'd never heard of apart from the usual coconut and olive oil. I mixed it with honey and did an hot oil treatment with it. When I took the shower cap off my head my hair had literally drunk the concoction. It looked a lot like penetration to me. My hair was amazingly strong afterwards and my hair stopped appearing on my comb. I love oils especially unrefined coconut oil and use them a lot in my regimen and they have been working quite well for me. I also mix essential oils like rosemary and peppermint into my hot oil treatments. I love the tingly scalp!

Miss AJ

Oils don't moisturize hair, but they do nourish it. If the hot oil treatment is done after shampooing then the oil is locking in the moisture from the water.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
well, i've tried HOTS before shampooing and conditioning, and it was okay. it made my hair really strong and i didn't have much shedding. now i just prefer to add olive oil to my dc.

Barbie83

hmmmmm :scratchch: I'm wondering if I should ignore the directions on the box and do the HOT after shampooing.......

MilkChocolateOne

oils are emollients and occlusive agents. they have the ability to soften, they retard water loss, they reduce swelling of the hair shaft and they lubricate. the beneficial properties of oils go beyond being able to penetrate hair so I would not limit myself only to oils that have the ability to penetrate. Different oils have different molecular properties and behave differently. it takes trial and error to determine which oils work best.

brucebettye

I love oilve oil hot oil treatments. I do them like a pre poo before I wash my hair. I also do them alone as a deep conditoner. I just love the way it makes my hair soft and it gives my hair a nice heathly sheen.

BostonMaria

Hot Oil users, what kinds of oil do u use and what are the benefits of hot oil treatments? Right now I do hot oil treatments with coconut oil. In the fall/winter my hair gets extra dry and I do this to help keep my hair moisturized.

Would it be better to add a conditioner to dry hair, then seal with the hot oil, then shampoo?
I'm not sure about this question, especially since I hardly use shampoo. I ALWAYS add coconut oil to all my conditioners. I also add other oils such as hemp seed oil, avocado oil and a drop (no more than 2) of ylang ylang oil. Honestly it gives my conditioners an extra kick and boy do I feel the difference, especially if I deep condition under my dryer. I never shampoo after a pre-poo. If I "seal" with an oil after I wash my hair it'll usually be with jojoba since its less greasy. Otherwise I just add shea butter to my ends.

MizzCoco

Those little bottles of VO5 and other commercially prepared HOTS are pretty useless, but I used to really think I was treating my hair when I used them (pre-LHCF)...its nothing in it but mineral oil and a bunch of other non-penetrating oils. Now I make my own, and I really have seen a difference in softness and strength using EVCO and EVOO.

Sapphire_chic

Are ladies doing HOT on dry or wet hair?
also approx how much oil do you use, are you saturating the hair until it is dripping in oil or just a light coating?

remilaku

Hot oil treatments don't work for me. I feel like I did nothing when I rinse it off!

So I don't do them anymore.