Houston or Humid Locale: Is relaxed hair possible?

*SkolarStar*

I'm from Milwaukee and I recently moved to Houston to teach. Milwaukee air is very dry and it's always been hard for me to keep my natural hair moisturized to the point where I completely gave up. When I found out that I would be moving to Houston I thought that the humid climate would help me. I'm not wrong. It is helping me. I'm just realizing that natural hair is not for me. The work is too much and I like straight hair more anyway. I've made the decision that I want to go back to being relaxed, but I don't know if my hair can handle the humidity.

So I want to hear your experience and a mini regimen on what you do to keep it nice. Is it difficult to keep up with or is it fine? Also, if you have any stylist recommendations, feel free to post or pm me. TIA! :yep:

crlsweetie912

I'm from Milwaukee and I recently moved to Houston to teach. Milwaukee air is very dry and it's always been hard for me to keep my natural hair moisturized to the point where I completely gave up. When I found out that I would be moving to Houston I thought that the humid climate would help me. I'm not wrong. It is helping me. I'm just realizing that natural hair is not for me. The work is too much and I like straight hair more anyway. I've made the decision that I want to go back to being relaxed, but I don't know if my hair can handle the humidity.

So I want to hear your experience and a mini regimen on what you do to keep it nice. Is it difficult to keep up with or is it fine? Also, if you have any stylist recommendations, feel free to post or pm me. TIA! :yep:

I live in Maryland and have been relaxed all my life. I think rollersets will be your friend. Change up your look depending on the size or type of roller. I would wash weekly and you can keep the heat usage to a minimum.

Holla

Humidity is not bad when relaxed if you use the right products. When I lived in NYC and had to take those ridiculous subways where the heat/humidity was ridiculous underground, my hair would survive if it was fully dry before leaving home and if I used hair polisher/chi silk infusion to seal during the day. Rollersets were good too because I used to get doobies. A good doobie helped.

shiney_sapphire

*SkolarStar*

300.jpg

I am in Houston and I teach! :) Do you teach science? Do you flat iron you hair? I have been using this on my daughter's natural hair for some months now. And it is wonderful when I flat iron her hair. It is going to take a little time to get use to the climate. Don't give up just yet.

Last edited:

koolkittychick

Hi, I live in South Florida and I'm relaxed, so I think you'll be just fine if you follow these tips:

1. Make sure your hair is fully dry before you leave the house; remember, even barely damp hair = immediate frizz in humid summer weather.
  2. If you sweat a lot (especially on your neck), carry a clip/ponytail holder/updo pin with you at all times, because more than likely you will have to use it at some point in the day.
  3. Serums art your friend! Whether you use drug store brands like frizz-ease or the pricey stuff like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum (my personal favorite!), you will keep this as a staple if you want your hair to have at least a shot of not frizzing up on you.
  4. Even if you prefer straight hair, start cultivating a repertoire of twist-out/braid-out, flat-twist, or French braid styles you enjoy, Not sure about the weather in Texas, but in Florida, during the summer it rains nearly every day, It even rains when the sun is out. On those days, it's just better to have a more "frizz or poof friendly" hairdo in place, so that when the inevitable happens, you are still looking cute.
Hope this helps. :yep:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My relaxed hair loves the Houston humidity. I am natural now, but the air is still great for keeping noisture in my strands.

I used to get my relaxers done at Visible Changes inside Greenspoint mall. Jessica does great relaxers and she does the cutest cuts.

Now that im natural I go to Dominican Salon (that's the name) on Little York near Barker Cypress.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
B&R in Houston. Never had a problem with having a relaxer and wearing it straight and down in Houston. My biggest advice from my experience would be silicone serums are your friend. If you use a shampoo in your regimen then buildup is not a big concern (or try to clarify on a regular basis or pick serums with water soluble or evaporating silicones). I used the CHI Silk Infusion & Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum the most. I also like the OGX brand serums (they call them styling oils but they have silicone in them as the main ingredients).

Lisa

My cousin moved from Milwaukee to Houston and would just keep her hair wrapped until she got to work :lol: (probably not PC but she was going from her garage to the parking lot and then walking less than a block to work). She really didn't care about the people on the street. She didn't want to look a mess all day at work. :blush:

*SkolarStar*

*SkolarStar*

View attachment 269143

I am in Houston and I teach! :) Do you teach science? Do you flat iron you hair? I have been using this on my daughter's natural hair for some months now. And it is wonderful when I flat iron her hair. It is going to take a little time to get use to the climate. Don't give up just yet.

Hey shiney_sapphire! I'll teach 10th grade English. I have not flat ironed my hair yet because I don't know where to go. Another reason I'm changing back to relaxed is because I know what products are good for it. I think that I should go back to what I know. If it doesn't work out then I'll transition again. :yep:

*SkolarStar*

Hi, I live in South Florida and I'm relaxed, so I think you'll be just fine if you follow these tips:

1. Make sure your hair is fully dry before you leave the house; remember, even barely damp hair = immediate frizz in humid summer weather.
  2. If you sweat a lot (especially on your neck), carry a clip/ponytail holder/updo pin with you at all times, because more than likely you will have to use it at some point in the day.
  3. Serums art your friend! Whether you use drug store brands like frizz-ease or the pricey stuff like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum (my personal favorite!), you will keep this as a staple if you want your hair to have at least a shot of not frizzing up on you.
  4. Even if you prefer straight hair, start cultivating a repertoire of twist-out/braid-out, flat-twist, or French braid styles you enjoy, Not sure about the weather in Texas, but in Florida, during the summer it rains nearly every day, It even rains when the sun is out. On those days, it's just better to have a more "frizz or poof friendly" hairdo in place, so that when the inevitable happens, you are still looking cute.
Hope this helps. :yep:

These are great tips koolkittychick! Thank you! BTW, I've seen it rain while the sun was out. I was :blush: and confused. :lol:

*SkolarStar*

My relaxed hair loves the Houston humidity. I am natural now, but the air is still great for keeping noisture in my strands.

I used to get my relaxers done at Visible Changes inside Greenspoint mall. Jessica does great relaxers and she does the cutest cuts.

Now that im natural I go to Dominican Salon (that's the name) on Little York near Barker Cypress.

Prettymetty Is Jessica scissor happy? Also, what services do you get from Dominican Salon?

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Jessica will only trim if you ask. She does really nice cuts, but she cuts into a style. Or if you have a style she just cleans up the ends. I hope that made sense.

I get a shampoo, deep conditioner, rollerset and blowdry at the dominican salon.

Evolving78

im from IL and i would just keep my hair wrapped until i got to work. also, products are the key and styles. when i would get a rod or roller set and just let the curls fall on their own, my hair would hold up pretty well. my hair is fine anyway, so humidity isn't really my friend. i just learned that the kera care leave in i was using was working against me when it came to humidity and my hair style holding up.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
B&R in FL. Been relaxed for much of my life and relaxed hair works with humidity if your hair is properly moisturized. I cleanse, condition, style weekly. I moisturize / seal twice daily.