How A Relationship With God Looks Like -- by Sara

Mis007

This may be just exactly what we need to know, how it's like to be in a relationship with God (brought to you by Sara):

What does a relationship with God look like?

The Bible refers to God as our Abba Father - an intimate fatherly relationship. Unfortunately for many of us, a fatherly relationship creates a rather undesirable picture in our head based on our own relationship with our own father.

So what should a relationship with our heavenly Father look like? Is it an authoritative figure that invokes fear and trembling in a negative way? Do we feel guilty when we see him because we know we have fallen below his standards? Do we feel like we have to be prepared to tow his line first before we can have a relationship with Him? There are many questions to be answered.

I sometimes feel like I haven't done enough to earn the listening ear and the blessings of my Abba Father. That wedge gets bigger as the devil uses it as a foothold. I sometimes feel like if I'm not ready for 100% perfection as a Christian, I might as well don't bother. All the things people tell me I should do, I might fall short off... the fact is, my heart is sinful despite my good intentions and sometimes I struggle to come before my Father but yet when I sit and think about it enough and soak myself in His presence, I find that they are all lies. Lies that the devil has been planting in my head since the day I was born. Lies that inadvertently form the nature of all our relationships.

We learn these lies through significant people in my life, through media and through incomplete or inaccurate teachings and emphasis in institutions. Essentially, we learn these through those who are also struggling with these same issues.

If I sit still enough in His presence and pour out my innermost thoughts and heart, I will know that He's just waiting with open arms to hear me talk to Him even if it is about how inadequate I feel before Him. And even with all the grub I have on me, He's not withholding His open arms. And even if I keep getting grub on me, He is patiently waiting and coaxing me along. He is gentle with me. He is long suffering and His mercies never come to an end. Because of that realisation, I will try to be like Him, not because I need to earn his love, but because of His great love towards me time and time again.

Right now, I just want to go and tell Him how scared I am and how I really feel about my life at the moment. I used to think He's just going to tell me what I should do right, but you know what, I think He's more magnanimous than that. I think His compassion for me will be His only agenda when I go to Him. What a relief...

Waiting to hear about your relationship with our Abba Father. What are some of the thoughts that come to your mind that prevent you from experiencing the presence of God in your life to the fullest.

Sara

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Mis007, This is a beautiful message, and I know that it flowed from your heart to share it with us.

Thank you so much. :giveheart:

God bless you abundantly.