How Anemia affected my hair

I am new here but i just wanted to give some imput on amenia and how it affected my hair. In 2005 after trying to get preggers, I found that my iron was critical low. I mean near death low..:eek: My doctor set me up to get a progesterone test..A test to see if you actually ovulate..Well after about two hours I get a panick call from my gyno's nurse telling me to come in immediately so that I can get my iron retested.. I went in and did so..It came back 2.9 which is death low.(normal is above 14) This was from having heavy menstruals..But on to how it affected my hair..Me and my beautican started to notice after babying my hair that i would get these recurrent broken pieces on the lest side of my hair line.. :eek: This was all before I knew my iron was low..It would grow back and then break off again..I was getting so frustrtated:mad:.. I was taking really good care of my hair..My hair was ok but it was nothing compared to now.. i wanted to chop it all off, but my beautican didn't think it was that bad..I did beacuse I wanted all my hair to be healthy;) . So ladies if u are haveing reccurent broken piece check your iron levels..Cause anemia can wreck havoc on your hair and the rate at which it grows... I am popping my iron tablets like skittles:lachen: .My hair has improved drastically and the rate it grows it great also.. i just wanted to give my story maybe it can help someone else with the same problem..

MzLady78

Thank you for sharing this. I was told my iron levels are low but the doctor wanted me to try to get my levels up naturally first before giving me pills. My hair has been breaking something awful so I probably haven't been to succesful.

low iron levels are not good. And if your hair is breaking be sure to take your iron tablets everyday..I take the slow Fe iron from walmart..:lol: It's better on my stomach.

Proudpiscean

I need to get my iron levels checked. I have been having a lot of shedding for some time now :scratchch ......could just be normal shedding though. But I'm going to get it chcked anyway to be sure.

SInce my iron levels were so low..The hair I had was actually broken and not shed hairs. My hair doesn't really shed alot. I guess I probably had no blood flow to that part of my scalp which cause the hairs to actually break..I asked my doctor if he thought It looked like shed hairs and he said they were broken hairs actually. Maybe i'm just a special case..:lachen: My dermetologist actually told me it would resolve with getting my iron levels back to normal..With my iron being that low.. I was low in a few other ares besides anemia..

Rhapsodie

Mine is low too (around 5 or so). I keep forgetting to take my pills and I know they do my hair good cuz when I was consistently taking them, my hair was healthy and growing. i'm just a lazy-ass :(

I guess I was satisfied with the explanation he gave me at the time.Since i wasn't as hair educated now..You are making a good point.Maybe i should schedule an appointment to ask in depth questions..I'm just going off of the little information he gave me and my assumption..:look: But U are shedding light on a subject I should have asked more about..:grin:

SvelteVelvet

I might be anemic also. I'm getting some tests run and I'll find out end of the week what's up if anything. I explained to my doctor how I'm extra fatigued after my mentrual cycle and so that might be the issue. I haven't had much issues with hair breakage, none to be alarmed about but if I do have to take iron pills..well I guess that's just one more pill to keep everything including my hair in tact.

I have to get my iron checked frequently. Not as frequent as I use to. About every 10-12 weeks. I try to stay on top of it now.But I can always tell when it drops I'm more tired than normal, and want to sleep like a baby all the time:lol: ..It also runs in my family...

*Michelle*

WOW...I'm glad things are improving for you! Thanks to Isis, I found out about three weeks ago my iron is low (not nearly as low as yours though). My hair was not breaking, but it was BARELY growing and I was always SO tired. I'm starting to feel better already.

Maybe we need a "Take/check your iron" challenge. I can honestly say I take my two pills, twice a day faithfully. I wish you well and don't forget to report back!

Also, I very much, agree with DI.

hairmaster

Demetrius Roberts said:
I guess I was satisfied with the explanation he gave me at the time.Since i wasn't as hair educated now..You are making a good point.Maybe i should schedule an appointment to ask in depth questions..I'm just going off of the little information he gave me and my assumption..:look: But U are shedding light on a subject I should have asked more about..:grin:

He is a doctor not a hair person, Breaking or shedding, what difference keep
taking the IRON and know what to do in the future.

*Michelle*

hairmaster said:
He is a doctor not a hair person, Breaking or shedding, what difference keep
taking the IRON and know what to do in the future.

:confused:

I disagree. Breaking and shedding are caused by different reasons. It is VERY important to know which or if both are happening otherwise she won't be able to get a handle on it thus waisting her time/money and probably raising her frustration level.

senimoni

I guess if her iron was low then maybe the hair wasn't strong....as such it broke more easily..but if that is the case I'm not sure why it would be restricted to one spot....actually either way shedding or breaking ...why would it be in one spot :scratches head:. I'm going to stop b/c now I'm confusing myself.

Dogmd

Divine Inspiration said:
Are you sure it wasn't shedding? I've never heard of iron causing breakage since breakage is an external problem and anemia is an internal problem. I have, however, seen a LOT of people wrestle with shedding from anemia, myself included.

I totally feel you on taking the iron though...I used to be able to really tell when I wasn't taking it because my hair would shed like a dog on wash day. I'm so glad that's OVER!

Anemia affects the hair shaft on all fronts. From deep in the sebacious gland (follicle area) to the hair shaft (strand) itself. If you have less blood supplying your scalp, hair follicles and sebacious glands, these glands will decrease in size and produce less sebum (oil) . Less oil= less natural lubrication for your hair shaft. Less lubrication = dry brittle hair . Dry and brittle hair will BREAK easily if not cared for. Anemia will cause shedding as well. Once those sebacious glands atrophy (shrink) they release those hairs effortlessly. Eating dark leafy greens daily will fix most of these problems as well as taking an iron supplement. I hate taking iron. Now that I am pregnant.. I have been begging the doctor to let me slide and just drink my green smoothies. I get my blood checked soon. My hair has been much drier, so I am not sure if it is working. I may have to break down and just take my supplements .

CHECKMATE!

Dogmd said:
Anemia affects the hair shaft on all fronts. From deep in the sebacious gland (follicle area) to the hair shaft (strand) itself. If you have less blood supplying your scalp, hair follicles and sebacious glands, these glands will decrease in size and produce less sebum (oil) . Less oil= less natural lubrication for your hair shaft. Less lubrication = dry brittle hair . Dry and brittle hair will BREAK easily if not cared for. Anemia will cause shedding as well. Once those sebacious glands atrophy (shrink) they release those hairs effortlessly. Eating dark leafy greens daily will fix most of these problems as well as taking an iron supplement. I hate taking iron. Now that I am pregnant.. I have been begging the doctor to let me slide and just drink my green smoothies. I get my blood checked soon. My hair has been much drier, so I am not sure if it is working. I may have to break down and just take my supplements .
U ladies r the best :)...this is some great info.,I am shedding like a dog over here and I never would have made the connection with low iron. Low blood (anemia) and sickle cell trait runs in my family....I have not taken iron pills in over 13years( yeah,Iknow) ...I'm going to pick up some iron pills tomorrow and get serious about my health and hair journey;)

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Dogmd said:

I totally agree. DivineInspiration that blood count level she had 2.9 that is a blood transfusion going down. :eek: It is wonder she did not pass out somewhere from being so fatigue. My blood count is a 10 and I am tired as all get up. My doctor did put me on prescription Repliva(iron supplement) to get my count up fast taking it faithfully like candy.

Lavendar

blackmaven said:
I totally agree. DivineInspiration that blood count level she had 2.9 that is a blood transfusion going down. :eek: It is wonder she did not pass out somewhere from being so fatigue. My blood count is a 10 and I am tired as all get up. My doctor did put me on prescription Repliva(iron supplement) to get my count up fast taking it faithfully like candy.

:lol: Her iron level was 2.9, not her blood count. I think she would be dead by now.:eek: This is a great discussion and very important since anemia is so common in women. But because it is so common some women tend to take for granted that it's no big deal....they can pop a supplement and it's fixed. It's very important to get evaluated if you think you may have the symptoms of anemia or have heavy and/or long periods. At my worst bout with anemia, my iron was actually 0 and ferritin 4, blood count 6. My blood cells weren't even red anymore, they were pink and extremely small and malnourished. I was dizzy and had heart palpitations, but I was carrying on with my everyday life as if nothing was wrong. I was so used to feeling drained that it actually was normal to me. When I finally went to the doc cause I was tired of the "spinning" feeling, she wanted to rush me to the ER to have a tranfusion, but I refused. However, to make a long story short, it was found out that I cannot digest iron properly nor can several of my family members, including my dad, and I now suspect my DD. It appears to be a strong hereditary trait. Taking pills and eating iron-rich foods does basically nothing for my iron levels, but I did that for several years thinking I was getting some effect and I was actually crashing. Now I have to get iron IV (through my veins like chemo) in order to get iron. Interestingly enough, just recently, I have been able to maintain my iron levels for longer periods (months) in between doses by taking biotin. I did some research and sure enough biotin does have a positive effect on the hemoglobin.....so the wonders of LHCF never cease!:) Just make sure you get evaluated, take the recommmended treatment, and then get re-evaluated. You need to be sure the treatment is actually working and working well. Blessings!

Proudpiscean

Lavendar said:
:lol: Her iron level was 2.9, not her blood count. I think she would be dead by now.:eek: This is a great discussion and very important since anemia is so common in women. But because it is so common some women tend to take for granted that it's no big deal....they can pop a supplement and it's fixed. It's very important to get evaluated if you think you may have the symptoms of anemia or have heavy and/or long periods. At my worst bout with anemia, my iron was actually 0 and ferritin 4, blood count 6. My blood cells weren't even red anymore, they were pink and extremely small and malnourished. I was dizzy and had heart palpitations, but I was carrying on with my everyday life as if nothing was wrong. I was so used to feeling drained that it actually was normal to me. When I finally went to the doc cause I was tired of the "spinning" feeling, she wanted to rush me to the ER to have a tranfusion, but I refused. However, to make a long story short, it was found out that I cannot digest iron properly nor can several of my family members, including my dad, and I now suspect my DD. It appears to be a strong hereditary trait. Taking pills and eating iron-rich foods does basically nothing for my iron levels, but I did that for several years thinking I was getting some effect and I was actually crashing. Now I have to get iron IV (through my veins like chemo) in order to get iron. Interestingly enough, just recently, I have been able to maintain my iron levels for longer periods (months) in between doses by taking biotin. I did some research and sure enough biotin does have a positive effect on the hemoglobin.....so the wonders of LHCF never cease!:) Just make sure you get evaluated, take the recommmended treatment, and then get re-evaluated. You need to be sure the treatment is actually working and working well. Blessings!

Wow! You're right, this is a good discussion. I'm glad you're doing better.:)

dillard

this thread has been an eye opener. i was born anemic and have suffered with low iron all my life. of course it gets worse during and after my periods though. my doctor said i should take ferrous sulfate 325 mg supplements, which i've taken on and off for the last 2 yrs. i've never been consistent though, and lately i have been experiencing strange heart palpitations. i didn't really think it was related until i read Lavendar's post!! I better get it checked out! I haven't noticed any more than usual shedding or breaking with my hair though. thanks ladies.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Lavendar said:

I thought that was extremely low:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: thanks for showing me the light

PatTodd

Thanks for posting this. I have been diagnosed anemic off and on for years (most recently during my last pregnancy) but I have been horrible about taking my supplements, and recently have been feeling very tired for no reason. Guess it's time to get back with the FerroSequels (iron supplement with stool softener)!!!

You ladies are the best...:grin: Some people don't feel that having low iron can have a adverse affect on the hair. But believe me it can..:eek: And when your are doing everything right to your hair, you feel as if it's something your not doing properly as in products, maintance, etc.. But everyone body is different in tolerating low iron. My doctor told me that my body had just adjusted to having low levels. I was tired just by waking up in the morning. But since getting my iron levels back on track my hair has did a complete 180...:grin: Me and my doctor opted to start iron supplements over a blood transfusion.. Also eating a healthy diets with iron enriched foods will help.

Lady Esquire

Demetrius, I relate your story so much. My anemia has always been a problem and when I was pregnant, it caused all sorts of complications. I have not been on top of my anemia these past few years...I usually try to eat adequate protein in my diet naturally. I still have hairline issues. I think some of it is genetic and some may be iron-related...I am not sure which one yet. So, I will be adding iron pills back into my daily routine and I hope to see a change for the better. Thanks for sharing your story.

your more than welcome...I have went through severel different iron supplements..because alot of them are not stomach friendly and cause constipation..:eek: consuming vitamin C helps will help it absorb in the body better.. But I went back to my mom's old reliable iron supplement.(Slow fe iron) The only problem is that when you get your iron levels back you have to stay consistent. I am like most others i just didn't think it was important until that life changing moment..I think we need to start a "take your iron supplement challenge".. :grin:

Last edited:

foxy kc

amr501 said:
I need to get my iron levels checked. I have been having a lot of shedding for some time now :scratchch ......could just be normal shedding though. But I'm going to get it chcked anyway to be sure.

Shedding is also a symptom of anemia. I have anemia as well, my count is not as low as the PPs, my blood count is normally around 8, so I take iron supplements daily....I can always tell when I have slacked off from taking my pills (apart from the extreme fatigue, dizziness and pale skin) my hair sheds like crazy, I would lose golf ball size amounts of hair daily.

Last edited:

tia123

Thanks for this post!! Wow, this post helped me so much. My Iron was low around March 2006 and by July 2006, I got a large bald spot in the top back of my head and two small bald areas in the nape of my neck. My shoulder length hair quickly went down to 2 inches at the most not including the 3 bald patches. I was not even aware of what was happening to my body until I went to my doctor to try to figure out why I lost my hair at such a fast rate. The doctor said it was apparent to her that my iron had been low over a long period of time and my hair had been breaking and thinning, but it didn't get my attention until it all fell off my head. To this point after eating healthier, taking a iron supplement prescribed by my doctor, getting my iron levels back up, drinking more water, exercising, taking my vitamins etc., I am still struggling with slow growth and trying to get some hair growth in the 3 bald areas which now do have some very thin dry hard stubbles of hair. I am just being patient.

turnergirl

This is a great story to hear. I have been anemic all of my life. My levels are no where near as low as yours were but they are pretty low. I am waiting to rid my system of some other horrible things and I will get back into my iron pills. This is a good reminder of how serious anmeia can be.