How are YOU doing w/NO HEAT???

sengschick

The Bun Master
Just wanted to know how everyone was doing w/personal or the 'official' NO HEAT challenge.

How long have you been on?

How long do you plan to abstain?

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times?

If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed?

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been?

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share?

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal?

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)?

carletta

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
Just wanted to know how everyone was doing w/personal or the 'official' NO HEAT challenge.

How long have you been on? about 6 months

How long do you plan to abstain? as long as I can until that new growth goes

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? 3x after taking braids down !

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? LONGER & HEALTHIER HAIR

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? things learned moisture, moisture helps me keep lenght & no heat has done great wonders for my hair

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? A well deserved vacation from salon visits !

[/ QUOTE ] maybe once every 2-3 months if it is absolutely necessary!!!

sengschick

The Bun Master
I've been on the challenge for 6 mos, come Monday, 9/6/04
6 months was my original goal, but I'm going to keep going until I have a strong need or reason.
Never cheated.
I really liked my alternatives. I think my styles look even better than my straight styles. But maybe I was just tired of them and now I have freedom and options.

I certainly think so. I won't be convinced fully until I do use heat, but so far I'm holding on to inches consistently.
No tips. Just find what works for you and stick to it.
I thought a Dominican blow-out, but that won't happen until next Spring (I think I'm heat-phobic now). I'm thinking a hooded dryer and a non-air dry rollerset!

My future heat use will be sparing. A periodic rollerset w/heat and a very sporatic Dominican. I may buy a Chi Iron in the next year or so for home use, but my blow dryer won't see the light of day

Tai

How long have you been on? Since August

How long do you plan to abstain? Indefinitely

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? I do plan to "cheat" possibly for New Year's Eve and my b-day in March.

If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed? My hair is doing much better w/o heat than it ever did with heat. My ends are in heaven.

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? My ends are finally healthy.
My hair isn't as dry (partially due to frequent CW)and it's shinier and softer.

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? Airdrying in ponytails worked pretty well for me. Before I decided to transition, rollersets were how I wore my hair straight. Tracy's method for wash n go has been my savior. My curls thank her.

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? I don't have a treat in mind.

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? I don't think I'll ever go back to using heat regularly. Not using heat was one of the factors that lead me to transition.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Clarify what you mean when you say no heat. If you mean blow dryers, curling irons and flat irons then........

1. Last used one of the above Dec 03

2. So far so good so no plans to use in the future. I felt so guilty the last time I picked up my flat iron I just put away. Too bad to because my husband gave me an expensive one for Christmas and I've never used it.

3. I haven't cheated on my goal because I haven't felt the need to. I get the same sleek look with a good roller set followed by a wrap.

4. The thing that's kept me focused is re-training my thinking about what looks good. I no longer feel the need to have super straight hair. Now I just want super, LONG hair.

5. For me the best benefit is not having to clean the sink or brush those little hairs off my shirt from breakage. The complements from my hair dresser is a perk too.

6. My biggest tip is learn to master a roller set, take advantage of the benefits of air drying, invest in hair accessories for buns and updo's and when all else fails braid it up and give your hair a break.

7. When I reach my hair goal then I will work to maintain. Bra strap legnth is long enough for me.

8. Same plan for the future. I only use heat from my dome dryer for deep conditioning and roller sets (on low or cool).

lovelymissyoli

I started in July, I don’t remember the exact date.

I plan to abstain until January (my hair goal month), but this November I have a council coming up and I want to put heat in my hair for a specific style. Now that I think about it, I may just get a doobie.

I’ve cheated once on August 20, 2004 when I went on vacation. I knew I would never be able to get a blow-out here in California so I got one out there. Too bad it didn’t last!

I’m not too sure if I’m reaping any benefits. I haven’t looked at my hair to see if it’s been growing, but I’m definitely not melting/burning it off!

I haven’t had a revelation yet, I’ll post one when I do.

I’m going to treat my hair to a press & curl once I reach my goal. This will be a one time thing because I want to show my sacrafices and progress off. After that, it’s back to the same ole’ same ole’.

Well, if no heat causes my hair to flourish the most then I will probably discontinue my use of heat for good. The only time I may use it is for special occasions, such as reaching my next hair goal, other then that I’ll opt for other ways to style and straighten my hair that doesn't require a pressing comb or flat iron.

Ayeshia

How long have you been on? 5 months

How long do you plan to abstain? until april
Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? nope
If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed? not owning a blowdryer and having natural hair to begin with
Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? yes no breakage, i see progress EVERY month
What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? none really, but I think if you wanna stay on this challenge you would need to stay away from somebody's album who has super str8 and silky hair cuz it will make you wanna flat iron your own hair

an ionic blowdryer or maybe a CHI flatiron
How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? 1-2x per year

FrizzMizz

How long have you been on? Unofficially, since I've been natural 1 year 8 months.

How long do you plan to abstain? Forever, If I can.

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? 2x I rollersetted and 2x I blew dried for trims.

More growth,

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? Stay on the site.These ladies know how to work some air-dry styles.

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? Some really expensive conditioner and a hooded dryer.

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? Rollersets all the way, I might start rollersetting for my trims. LOLOL

candibaby

How long have you been on? about 4 months

How long do you plan to abstain? as long as possible

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? yes, i had my hair flat ironed w/ a CHI saturday.. but those are good.. so does it really count? lol

If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed? NA!

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? yes, i have WAY healthier ends.

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? um..

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? my own CHI flat iron!

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? when i get my CHI, probably once or twice a month.

Cinnabuns

Since May 24, 2004

Two Years or More

No (I don’t even own a hooded dryer)

Yes, My hair has 98% less breakage and I actually have shine (meaning healthy)

That using ALL heating products for hair is bad and should be omitted as much as possible esp for those who have permed or chemically treated hair like me

I will probably do a roller set or pin-curls which is a style that I have been dying to try (without heat) but until May 23, 2004 I will be bun-ing it

I don’t see it happening at all!

SouthernGirl

1 month

Until my wedding day 2/12/05, then I'll start again

Yes, once, this past weekend. I was in New Orleans and the heat and humidity were BRUTAL! I have about 1 1/2" of new growth so my hair looked poofy before I added a bit of heat (indirect from a blow-dryer)

N/A

Not sure yet, too soon to tell

I believe that stretching out my relaxer will be great for my hair in the long run. Also, the Suave Naturals M&H shampoo and cond are great detanglers.

Not sure

Once a month, if that much

brittanynic16

4 months

For a very long time

Nope

I don't need it. I have no desire for straight hair of any fashion.

Yep, I retain every inch of hair. But, it is also attributed to that fact that I no longer relax my hair. However, if I was using heat it would certainly hinder my progress.

Go natural. It is better in the long run. It looks better too.

I may do a blow out for a big occasion.

Not often at all. Like I said, I don't need it.

abainaa

I haven't started yet... in fact I flat ironed my hair today (and soo much came out
But starting September 10th, for the 6 months that I will be in Africa I will use absolutely no heat whatsoever. I'm sure it will be good for me. I am am aiming to keep about 3 inches.

Sweetyb

Hey Sengschick!

I don't know about the no heat challenge, but I personally have layed off the heat for about 3 years now.

I recently bought a blow dryer that I've used twice this year for legit reasons (getting Henna debree out of hair), and I tried sitting under a hooded dryer once this year, didn't like the amt of heat though, kept taking breaks--I won't be doing that again anytime soon:)

I generally don't have a need for my hair to be straightened with heat because I have two bad past experiences with this that keep me on track. And my hair can still be beautiful without it. I feel though that there's that 5% of me that still sees it as a future option. My hair is veeery Virgin right now (dry shoulder-length = wet 2" fro). Maybe there's something I have yet to learn to have a safe press, maybe not.

Benefits: longer, fuller hair

I've learned that everybody's hair is different. I can't go around telling everyone to stop using heat just because my hair didn't like it (yeah, I used to do this). I've learned that although thick in texture, the actual strands of my hair are very fine, therefore cannot take a lot of stress. My curls are also very tight, so if I straightened them I'll severly weaken the dips that create the curls (if this makes any sence). Whereas my natural sister has thicker strands than myself and presses her hair everyso often, and her hair has even grown longer than mine, regardless of the heat that she uses.

How often I use heat in the future all depends on how well I learn to take care of my hair. Right now, my focus is bringing out the beauty of my natural texture.

How long have you been on? Since June 2001

How long do you plan to abstain? For good

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? Nope, the desire to use heat is no longer there.

If you haven't cheated, what's kept you honest and committed? I made this personal decision in June 2001, and I intend to keep my promise.

Oh yeah, my hair is healthier and is retaining more length.

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? My hair grows best when left alone.

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? Hmm..not sure yet. I might convince my sister to do my hair again in a really cool style. The last time she did my hair was in Dec. 2003. My sister is very creative with natural styles, so it might be fun to see what she would come up with again.

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? I don't plan to use heat.

ubavka123

SINCE MAY 04
FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!!

YES. 3 TIMES--ONE WAS A SALON VISIT, THE OTHER TWO WERE JUST SENSELESS!
YES--LESS BREAKING, LESS DRYNESS, MORE LENGTH THAN I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE SO FAR! LESS CLEAN-UP IN THE BATHROOM!
AIR-DRYING IS AWESOME! FIND A GOOD LEAVE-IN, CREAMY MOISTURIZER AND YOU ARE GOOD-TO-GO.
BEAUTIFUL HAIR ACCESSORIES TO CONTINUE WEARING PROTECTIVE STYLES AND LOTS OF BRAID-OUTS (WHICH I REFUSE TO DO ON MY HAIR AT ITS CURRENT LENGTH!
ONLY FOR SALON VISITS (EVERY 3 MOS) IF THAT...I HAVE SWORN OFF THE NEED FOR HEAT FOREVER, PRETTY MUCH.

LEOLADYSW

I've been on the challenge for 2 mos
The summer months was my original goal, but I'm going to keep going until I have a strong need or reason.
Never cheated.
I like how my hair looks after a roller pony tail set, 2 large bantu knots set, braid out, and a phony pony.
Are you reaping the benefits? If so, what have they been?
My ends are healthy.
No tips.
A hair steamer will be my prize for being a good little girl!

My future heat use will be as needed only, not often.

Kha

- Since February 1st

- As long as possible, I take it a month at a time.

- Well, I did a blow-out May 1 to check length and to trim/cut my hair. I also used my diffuser once for about 5 minutes when I had small twists.

-

- I am reaping very good benefits. My hair is growing much faster and is longer than it's ever been.

- If you can't completely eliminate heat from your routine, at least try to minimize it.

- A nice press.

- I plan on using very little heat and will probably only blow-dry my hair once or twice a year.

I also haven't started yet but have minimized flatironing from every week to every two weeks. Once I get my wash and goes and buns looking right, I'll be good to go. Rollerwrapping (Doobie) will probably be the closest thing to straight styles for me I hope.

Tracy

Pretty much all the time. Def. since the spring began this year.

Hopefully for another year or so.

Yes. I don't consider hooded dryers cheating, but early in the summer when I was taking my touch up time to the limit, I found that I HAD to straighten my hair with heat or it would break. CWing, daily washing, airdrying - all resulted in tons of breakage. My roots were so dense that the manipulation involved in a rollerset was also too much. At the time, the only thing that didn't result in immediate and copious breakage was blowdrying and flatironing. I did it once a week for 4 weeks. After I relaxed in early August, I wentback to my airdry/rollerset routine.

Not really...but I'm having other hair issues. If I WERE using heat, I'm sure I'd be having a lot MORE breakage. so it's helping in the sense that I'm not ADDing to an already bad sitch.

That heat used in moderation is no big deal, but direct heat on a regular basis can cause problems. You shouldn't be doing anything weekly (because I staved off breakage, but I immediately noticed an increase in dryness), but sometimes heat can help you avoid breakage, under the right circumstances.

Nothing much.

Rollersets regularly. I still airdry more than I'd like to. I'd love to get my hair blowdried and flatironed once in a while. It's a different look on me and I'd like to do it every once in a while.

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
How long have you been on? SINCE FEBRUARY

How long do you plan to abstain? FOREVER

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? I USED A BLOWDRYER ONCE BUT NOT ON MY WHOLE HEAD, I'VE USED A CURLING IRON ABOUT 5 TIMES AND FLAT IRONED ABOUT 7 TIMES

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? HAIR IS GROWING, THE LAST TIME I WENT TO GET A RELAXER MY STYLIST ASKED "DIDN'T I JUST CUT YOUR HAIR" AND I TOLD HER YEAH 6 MTHS. AGO AND SHE SAID WOW ITS GROWING FAST

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? MINIMAL HEAT DOES CHANGE THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR HAIR AND IT IS VITAL IN MAINTAINING HEALTHY HAIR

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? JUST THE SATISFACTION OF KNOWING MY HAIR IS THE LONGEST ITS EVER BEEN AND HAVING PEOPLE TELL ME THAT WILL BE A REWARD IN ITS SELF

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? VERY MODERATELY !! ONCE I GET LONG HAIR I WANT TO KEEP IT !

ChoclatePrincess

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:

For almost a month.

Until I get to my goal.

I had a wash, set and blow once last month.

The only change I've seen so far is less money spent in the salon.

When I get back to brastrap then I'll have some tips.

Good question. One thing I will definitely do is go to the salon and get a wash, set and blow.

Any amount will be less than my once a week I was use to.
[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Netta1

I never started the offical no heat challenge.

By letting my hair air dry.

Nope, I have not used direct heat on my hair for almost a year.

I have never "cheated", wanting my hair as healthy as possible has kept and is keeping me heat free.

I think so, I stopped using direct heat after I cut my relaxer out, so I never got to see the damage that heat could do on virgin hair-I only heard about people, not being able to get their texure back. I knew I didn't want to be one of those people-I think my hair is thriving because I let it just be-I don't force it to do a certain thing. I know some people who don't have problems with heat, but I personally have not had a desire to use direct heat on my hair. If I want straight hair I can just wear a wig or weave piece.

For naturals:
Because our hair is curly, if you want your texture to loosen up a bit for a different longer length style try banding the hair. Banding the hair temporary straightens or loosens the hair w/o heat.

I don't have any goals to reach, heat is not something that I even consider. Its just a way of life for me.

I don't plan on using direct heat on my hair but I might try blow drying it one day. I would never go anywhere near a pressing comb though.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Around June 2004, but I'm officially starting now (Sept 2004)

As long as possible

I tried getting on the no heat challenge a few months ago but couldn't stay away from the blowdryer. I would give up on airdrying if I didnt rollerset and just whip out the blowdryer; did this about 2-4 times a month. Before then, I had completely given up curling and flat irons.

N/A

I haven't noticed any yet because I wash my hair more often and moisturize it more. I feel like the heat I have used in the past has caused breakage, thinning, and split ends so hopefully in the next few years I'll have a head full of thick healthy hair!

I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural so I have been keeping my hair moisturized and I try to avoid excessive combing/brushing. I have also learned how to deal with styling my hair without using heat so that's why I have been able to officially start using no heat this month.

ultimate care

If I want it straightened or pressed, I would probably do it 3-4 times a year or something.

InsertCleverNameHere

How long have you been on? about a year

How long do you plan to abstain? as long as possible

Have you cheated? If so, how & how many times? yes, for photoshoots and in november last year for homecoming

Are you repeaping the benefits? If so, what have they been? I'm forced to wear wigs and ponytails which means I don't have to do my hair.

What valuable tips have you learned or what to share? I think everyone should get a wig for when they are itching for a superstraight style. They are addictive though.

What are you treating your hair or yourself to when you reach your goal? To a nice press and curl

How and how often do you plan to use heat in the future (if at all)? Hopefully I will do good rollersets by then.