How Can I Stop My Gel From Flaking?

SheenaVee

On the jar of Ecostyler it says non flaking. They lied. :nono:

How are you guys stopping your gel, any gel, from flaking?

And when I say flaking I mean when I have my hair out in a wash and go my hair is soft and fluffy with lots of movement but I feel like I can't swing it around too much because when I do I end up with little white flakes all over my shoulders.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
If I'm heavy handed my gel leaves a cast on my hair that flakes after it dries.

OR

If the gel never settles into my hair strands but on top of the hair strands, it will flake.

I usually go over my hair with water as I'm applying the gel so it saturates in. It may take my hair a little longer to dry but I rarely have flaky hair anymore unless I'm being lazy and not making sure I smoothed the product down my hair strands properly.

SheenaVee

I think flaking has a lot to due with the combo of products used together. I had to play around with diff leave-ins/gel combos to get my flaking under control.

I don't use any other products under the gel, though. Just the gel alone.

But looking at other comments maybe that's the problem?

Amarilles

Eco flakes with my condish/leave-in too.

What I do though (because I'm not changing my condish) is I apply the condish, detangle and I twist up the section or bun it. By the time I do my entire head, the first section I started with has already absorbed a lot of the product, yet it's still super wet. Then I apply the gel, and the products play together just fine. It doesn't flake. However if I apply the leave-in and right afterwards the gel, the products together form these little ball-ish clumps.

Give it a try, if you don't want to hunt around for a different leave-in.

SheenaVee

If I'm heavy handed my gel leaves a cast on my hair that flakes after it dries.

OR

If the gel never settles into my hair strands but on top of the hair strands, it will flake.

I usually go over my hair with water as I'm applying the gel so it saturates in. It may take my hair a little longer to dry but I rarely have flaky hair anymore unless I'm being lazy and not making sure I smoothed the product down my hair strands properly.

I do the water thing too! And when it dries and I break the cast there aren't any visible flakes on my hair, it's only when I shake it the flakes start flying :lol:.

I think I may try putting a product under my gel though I hate having lots of product in my hair.

frizzy

It happens to me when I use too much product or break a strong cast. I'm only speaking for the laid down hair when I wear it in a puff.

Have you tried mixing a little oil, water or leave in into your gel? That may dilute the build up of the gel and give you the same results with your style.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
I don't use any other products under the gel, though. Just the gel alone.

But looking at other comments maybe that's the problem?
Whew...I can't imagine using nothing under my gel. If it contains a humectant like glycerin (which mine does), it can pull moisture from your hair when it can't get moisture from the climate. People don't understand that is how humectants work. And if it contains a drying alcohol, well then it's just drying.

My gel leaves a little residue, but as mentioned above I'm sure it's because I haven't perfected my product combo.

SheenaVee

I use the Argan oil one, and yeah, that's the gel I use mostly but sometimes I'll use Fantasia IC gel, and I have an Elasta QP one I use occasionally. I'd prefer to use the Fantasia all time but it doesn't come in big sizes like Eco so it wouldn't last me long. The Fantasia doesn't seem to flake like the Eco though. @shawnyblazes

Hmmm, perhaps I'm heavy handed. And I'm gonna try an oil underneath. Anyone recommend a specific type of oil?

SheenaVee

Whew...I can't imagine using nothing under my gel. If it contains a humectant like glycerin (which mine does), it can pull moisture from your hair when it can't get moisture from the climate. People don't understand that is how humectants work. And if it contains a drying alcohol, well then it's just drying.

My gel leaves a little residue, but as mentioned above I'm sure it's because I haven't perfected my product combo.

Haha, I know it's strange but I've been doing it for years now since I've been natural and it hasn't negatively affected my hair. I just always make sure I condition my hair before I put gel on it and when I wash the gel out.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
When I use Curl Junkie Conditioners I dont use a leave in before my gel. My hair is uber moisturized.

Matter of fact as I think about it , I rarely use a leave in under my gel because it takes my hair forever to dry. If I do use a leave in, I use less than a dime amount and dilute it heavily with water.

I like castor oil a lot, or a castor oil blend by Hairveda.

LdyKamz

I played around with this for ages before I found something that keeps the flakes away. I have stopped using leave in's under the gel which I was upset about at first but fine with now. I put just a little jojoba oil on my soaking wet hair. Very little and then I use the eco styler because I like to apply to soaking wet hair. Once my hair dries it is soft, shiny and best of all no flakes.

GGsKin

I used KCCC diluted with water. And my hair is soaking wet when I apply. I don't get flakes unless it isn't diluted enough or those little globs of gel water form and dry. For the past 4 weeks I haven't used conditioner underneath and the results are the same.

SheenaVee

So I bought some coconut oil. I used to use it back in the day and liked it then idk why I stopped buying it. Anyway, I cowshed my hair and afterwards applied the oil to my wet hair, then applied the gel. My hair has now dried and I've been swinging it around and there's not a flake in sight!:clap: Plus, my hair feels super soft and looks extra shiny! Thanks for the tips guys!:kiss3:

Last edited: