How Christianity Helps Me And Is Healthy, Whether " Christians" Are Or Not

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings!

I'm going to forget to share the next post if I don't go ahead and create this thread.

I will try to return and properly introduce this thread. In the meanwhile, please share:

Have you encountered harmful Christians (either authentic or floundering or downright fake or hypocritical), but still find Christ and your Christian walk desirable, valuable, etc.? Whether yes, or no, please share your thoughts!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I wrote this in another thread to encourage someone and want to copy and paste and leave it here, in case it encourages someone. Being a Christian feeds me and protects me now (false "Christian" teaching used to harm me!), and the following is part of the reason why:

Hugs!

I didn't see your post in time (it's blank now), but I'm sending love and light and vibes to you.

I am not where I hoped to be in certain areas of my life. That is sometimes so hard, and painful. However, I very begrudgingly admit that this has forced me to do good work regarding pinpointing my beliefs on my SOURCE and SENSE of worth.

How do you determine that you have worth?
What is the SOURCE of your worth?
What is the reason you have worth?
How do you determine others' worth? Do you grant yourself the same kindness (assumed worth), or do you have a unique formula for assigning your own worth?
Is there a difference between human worth and human achievement or success?

My spiritual studies and experiential verification thereof are astonishing. They tell me that I'm here by design, and that there's a Being who designed and planned me, enjoys me, wishes the best for me, delights over me, and knows me (the good and bad and ugly and is secure enough to love all of me, like a healthy and good parent of a beloved, floundering yet lovable child who is ever trying/growing).

The best thing is that according to my spiritual tradition, I am to live my life only for the Creator. I live for no one else, because I don't belong to anyone but the loving Creator who delights in my health and joy.

I've reached these thoughts after setting aside my childhood religion for awhile and doing the logical work of examining these concepts (God, Creator, life, soul, spirit, consciousness, etc.). God enjoys me aside from my job or net worth or possessions. I have worth as His enjoyed, beloved, empowered creation . . . and agent of good because that's what He has called me to be.

I believe I can one day have the career, income, house, lifestyle, and life that I dream of with a beating heart. When I do, my worth (value to God) will still be exactly as high as it was before. It will only be my net worth and happiness metric that have increased.

I'm not a mess. I'm just overcoming distractions and obstacles and circumstances at the moment. I am not a mess because I have my eye on the ball / prize, and in small ways everyday I let each day bring me closer to higher health, beauty, peace, income, freedom, etc. I take the time to live with focus. I have filed the past in the correct "place": It is not allowed to be filed in my present, overwhelming my present, as to try to BE my present.

This is what works for me. You will find what works for you as you seek, heal and move on from and release or at least properly "file" the past . . . allowing health and the present and love to dominate your focus.

newgrowth15

Greetings!

I'm going to forget to share the next post if I don't go ahead and create this thread.

I will try to return and properly introduce this thread. In the meanwhile, please share:

Have you encountered harmful Christians (either authentic or floundering or downright fake or hypocritical), but still find Christ and your Christian walk desirable, valuable, etc.? Whether yes, or no, please share your thoughts!
@YvetteWithJoy, just before I saw this thread, I was in prayer about this very matter. To answer your question, I cherish my walk with Christ. At the same time I defend against "Americanity" which disguises itself as a form of Christianity. Americanity uses the Bible and Christian lingo to manipulate people into serving it rather than serving the true and living God. The focus of Americanity is on the blessings, not on The One who blesses although He is mentioned quite frequently in the discussions. Tithing is an extremely important part of Americanity, how else will the buildings get larger and the leaders of those buildings maintain comfortable or even extravagant lifestyles? The biggest problem with Americanity is that it creates a bunch of lazy followers who would rather write a check to clear their conscious and put a checkmark on their to do list for the week. True followers of Christ study His Word for themselves and follow Him even if it goes against what is taught in Americanity. I believe that God is bigger than all of our divisions. I believe that He places each and every one of us into the society and the time slot in history of His choosing and that we are to make a difference where we are planted and with the tools He has given us. I believe small groups of people meeting together to read and study God's Word and to pray and do His will is way more effective than warming a pew each week, but never making an impact for Christ. I believe our greatest weapon against the enemy of our souls is prayer. I believe that it is The Holy Spirit who brings understanding and interpretation of the scriptures when we are ready to receive the revelation of same. God has been faithful enough to preserve His word these many generations and it is He who raises the messengers of His own choosing to carry His Word forward. I believe that God does allow us to ask Him questions and that He provides the answers whether we like them or not. I believe "Americanity" a term I coined to describe what I see as a system which has allowed for the oppression of the masses for the benefit of a few, has run it's course. It is now time for the remnant to stand in the gap to pray; to build disciples of Christ; to be willing to sacrifice all for Christ; to seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness; to share God's word and to encourage one another in the faith and in love.
I didn't mean to write a book, but this topic has no end.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy, just before I saw this thread, I was in prayer about this very matter. To answer your question, I cherish my walk with Christ. At the same time I defend against "Americanity" which disguises itself as a form of Christianity. Americanity uses the Bible and Christian lingo to manipulate people into serving it rather than serving the true and living God. The focus of Americanity is on the blessings, not on The One who blesses although He is mentioned quite frequently in the discussions. Tithing is an extremely important part of Americanity, how else will the buildings get larger and the leaders of those buildings maintain comfortable or even extravagant lifestyles? The biggest problem with Americanity is that it creates a bunch of lazy followers who would rather write a check to clear their conscious and put a checkmark on their to do list for the week. True followers of Christ study His Word for themselves and follow Him even if it goes against what is taught in Americanity. I believe that God is bigger than all of our divisions. I believe that He places each and every one of us into the society and the time slot in history of His choosing and that we are to make a difference where we are planted and with the tools He has given us. I believe small groups of people meeting together to read and study God's Word and to pray and do His will is way more effective than warming a pew each week, but never making an impact for Christ. I believe our greatest weapon against the enemy of our souls is prayer. I believe that it is The Holy Spirit who brings understanding and interpretation of the scriptures when we are ready to receive the revelation of same. God has been faithful enough to preserve His word these many generations and it is He who raises the messengers of His own choosing to carry His Word forward. I believe that God does allow us to ask Him questions and that He provides the answers whether we like them or not. I believe "Americanity" a term I coined to describe what I see as a system which has allowed for the oppression of the masses for the benefit of a few, has run it's course. It is now time for the remnant to stand in the gap to pray; to build disciples of Christ; to be willing to sacrifice all for Christ; to seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness; to share God's word and to encourage one another in the faith and in love.

I really love your post. I get a LOT out of it. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT term: Americanity.

Our church just raised $21.7 million in one weekend. It will pay for colleges in Africa, homes in poor countries, church planting, etc.

The spending process is transparently shared. Our preacher is far from rich, and a large committee of many people oversee the money. I say that to say our preacher isn't pocketing these funds, as much as we can tell (you can't put anything past anyone, of course). But, we see the land purchased, colleges started, buildings built, etc.

There's a healthy way to collect money for the purpose of doing godly work. I have no problem with that. I don't even have a problem with nice church buildings.

I'm concerned that Christianity is getting a bad rap for many, many reasons.

Roy Moore and his followers look like brainwashed people who believe Jesus exists to be on their side instead of the other way around. We don't get the sense that they love others and go out and volunteer and help and uplift.

Scary: They talk about their God-given rights while complaining that they gave out too many rights awhile back. Well, which is it? Are rights God-given, or is YOUR GROUP the distributor of rights?

People see this and find "Christianity" unpalatable.

Another example, for me, are Christians who can't let others accept the peace that God gives us when we give our lives to Him. I lived this for 30 years and could have easily lost my mind over all that Christians asked me to be scared about all the time. Some Christians have decided that you are not serious about the Lord if you aren't worried up and ever self-condemning.

It got to the point where I could barely function. Of course, that didn't stop them from heaping more worry and anxiety and suggested tasks on me. Thank God he rescued me from those people and beliefs. I met a sweet Christian who lived like a child of the King who chose to allow God to shape her thoughts, feelings, emotions, actions, behavior, and life. The way she lived made God appear effective, loving, empowering, helpful, life-changing, good. My new journey started from there.

There is a Christian experience that has nothing to do with any of this evil I have described. That is not getting the limelight enough, for my taste. Hypocrisy, doomsday obsession and/or fear(mongering): This is all some folks know of Christianity.

The real, simple, victory-giving Christianity is joyful, simple, peace-instilling, and wonderful.

Last edited:

newgrowth15

@YvetteWithJoy, throughout history certain words, phrases and/or symbols have been co-opted by others and changed from something good into something that represents evil and wickedness. Jesus Christ warned us this would happen, so we should already be aware and prepared to defend what we believe. The scriptures tell us to try every spirit to see if it is of God. However, merely mentioning the name of Jesus Christ does not make one a Christian any more than standing in a garage all day makes one a Cadillac.

My biggest issue is with modern day Pharisees/Theologians who look the other way when it benefits them and their causes. How can a message be preached from the pulpit on Sunday morning and a person hung from a tree on Sunday afternoon, yet the same crowd attends both "services"? How can men molest young men and women and yet defend the right to keep statues of the Ten Commandments and/or the Lord's Prayer within their purview? How can social injustices continue to be perpetrated upon a group of people, while other groups look the other way? Yet those same groups scream for justice when it begins to happen to them and their children. I bring these issues to the front, not because they are more important than any other issues, but because this is what is being presented to us on a daily basis by the media, and so garners the most attention. We who are believers understand that these issues are spiritual in nature. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12 God calls us to stand; to watch; to pray. He told us that our weapons are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds. II Corinthians 10:4 It is up to us to believe God's report and to live a life of peace that passes all understanding, for He gives us the right to choose. In choosing to pray, I see the wicked turning against the wicked and destroying each other. I see the falling away of some in "churches" who should not have been there in the first place. I see the wealth of the wicked being stored up and returned to the righteous. In other words, I see the God who favors His own moving and keeping His promises as He said He would in His Word. I believe, therefore, I see.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It's so interesting.

Take these two sets of scriptures:

SET 1
Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

SET 2
2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Peter 1:3
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

Sooooo . . .

I grew up in a church that made sure to drive home the first set and the like, but hardly mentioned the second set and the like.

I think they reasoned that worry-filled Christmas are the only ones taking discipleship seriously.

Problem is, it denies the gospel -- the good news. The victory. It reveals that man feels his way is wiser than God's way. God knows how to inspire us to stay working EVEN THOUGH WE ALREADY KNOW VICTORY is ours. He knows how to inspire us via love.

But I believe that some people don't think that's real or very effective. They're going to help God along with this, by ensuring that His children don't get too comfortable, now. Can't have them feeling okay, now.

I was crippled by this as a child, a teen, a college student, and a young woman.

We have to accept the gospel. It might not be how people who prefer guilt would structure things. But when people receive the Spirit and the gospel, they are free and saved and unburdened to be an amazing blessing. His plan is genius, and healthy, and all about victorious work and love. I am moved to fight for it and against manmade distortions of it that seem wise to those who would re-author the gospel. God's way is sufficient. More than enough.

newgrowth15

It's so interesting.

Take these two sets of scriptures:

SET 1
Isaiah 64:6
But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Romans 3:10
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

SET 2
2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

2 Peter 1:3
According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue.

Sooooo . . .

I grew up in a church that made sure to drive home the first set and the like, but hardly mentioned the second set and the like.

I think they reasoned that worry-filled Christmas are the only ones taking discipleship seriously.

Problem is, it denies the gospel -- the good news. The victory. It reveals that man feels his way is wiser than God's way. God knows how to inspire us to stay working EVEN THOUGH WE ALREADY KNOW VICTORY is ours. He knows how to inspire us via love.

But I believe that some people don't think that's real or very effective. They're going to help God along with this, by ensuring that His children don't get too comfortable, now. Can't have them feeling okay, now.

I was crippled by this as a child, a teen, a college student, and a young woman.

We have to accept the gospel. It might not be how people who prefer guilt would structure things. But when people receive the Spirit and the gospel, they are free and saved and unburdened to be an amazing blessing. His plan is genius, and healthy, and all about victorious work and love. I am moved to fight for it and against manmade distortions of it that seem wise to those who would re-author the gospel. God's way is sufficient. More than enough.
@YvetteWithJoy, God has allowed you to grow beyond those who use guilt and oppression to keep others down. Have you considered that as you avail yourself to Him, you become more of an instrument in His hands to do His will? There are many who do not study the whole counsel of God, yet willingly and loudly share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about who He is and what they think His opinion is or at least should be. Take the subject of abortion for an example. God is pro-life. John 10:10 And God is pro-choice. Joshua 24:15. God is a gentleman. He does not force His will on anyone. He waits for us to invite Him into our lives and He leaves the consequences of that decision up to us. Ezekiel 18:20. God is not a Democrat nor is He a Republican. God is not a Christian nor is He a Jew. God is God.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy, God has allowed you to grow beyond those who use guilt and oppression to keep others down. Have you considered that as you avail yourself to Him, you become more of an instrument in His hands to do His will? There are many who do not study the whole counsel of God, yet willingly and loudly share their thoughts, feelings and opinions about who He is and what they think His opinion is or at least should be. Take the subject of abortion for an example. God is pro-life. John 10:10 And God is pro-choice. Joshua 24:15. God is a gentleman. He does not force His will on anyone. He waits for us to invite Him into our lives and He leaves the consequences of that decision up to us. Ezekiel 18:20. God is not a Democrat nor is He a Republican. God is not a Christian nor is He a Jew. God is God.

Thank you for this, @newgrowth15.

God has been so good to me! He introduced the Word into my life when I would be able to hear it: When I was very young. Otherwise, I might be like a lot of agnostics or atheists I encounter in life. I thank Him ALL OF THE TIME for this.

When I see an atheist or agnostic, I think, "There but for the amazing grace of God go I!" and my heart beats strongly for them! I imagine how Christ must gaze at them -- loving them so much, not wanting ANYONE to perish, but all to be saved.

1 Peter 3:15 and 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 are my guides :smile: !:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

and

19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
Accordingly, I have read and read and studied and studied so that I can share the amazingness of having Christ -- with anyone but especially atheists and agnostics.

God has taken me beyond a Christianity that is like a club membership--wherein people are satisfied to be in the club and start feeling like they run they club and dictate what practical and faith struggles people are allowed to have, what questions or objections people are allowed to struggle with, etc.

The Christianity that God has allowed me to see is extremely beautiful. It's amazing. It takes my breath away, literally. It is very rooted in the Word, and it is not rooted in people's rendition of what they have decided to "allow" Christianity to be.

When God's Holy Spirit comes to reside inside of you, the way you look at every human soul changes! Humbleness will overtake your spirit as you realize you are NOT God, you are NOT Christ, and they have done so much for you that all you can do is stay utterly thankful and ensure that you don't keep anyone from Him. You will do nothing that might prevent a soul from being open to salvation and a life with Christ. Or if you do, you will notice and make corrections. For example, you will catch yourself if you ever find yourself rolling your eyes at someone, because the Spirit of God dwelling inside of you will tell you things such as, "People don't exist to NOT annoy you! Stop it! That's my creation that I love." And your heart becomes more and more godly and thus more and more beautiful and SAFE for others the more you continue to walk with Him.

Some churches have an atmosphere -- it may be accidental -- that breeds arrogance and callousness and hurtfulness to others. I thank God almost every time I step foot inside of my church. The atmosphere there is sooooooo different. Human agendas becoming arrogant and primary? No way! It is SO clear that God's agenda to help and support and save is what EVERYTHING there is about. You can even see it in the CHILDREN. It's amazing.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
God has taken me beyond a Christianity that is like a club membership--wherein people are satisfied to be in the club and start feeling like they run they club and dictate what practical and faith struggles people are allowed to have, what questions or objections people are allowed to struggle with, etc.
This reminds me of the time I was at a child's b-day party, and a bunch of the mothers were discussing their churches. I said nothing, just listened. They compared programs for children, why they had to switch churches, and even religions to attend one favorable to their situation.

One asked, "Does it really matter on religion?"

Another even turned to me and said, "They are all the same. They are all the same."

No mention of Father Yah, His Son, His opinion about anything - it was unsettling. While getting to the car to leave, I asked, "Lord, what was that about?"

Before I turned the ignition, I heard, "Family country club." The Tree of Knowledge - ego, self-focus, the assumption of know what Yah wants over getting to know His intimately - displayed itself in that conversation.

If you are led by the Spirit to deliver the Good News to atheists and agnostics, then do so. Answer their questions. Seek the Father with them. Ask Him to give you the words you need for them. Show them the Father's love and concern above all else.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
This reminds me of the time I was at a child's b-day party, and a bunch of the mothers were discussing their churches. I said nothing, just listened. They compared programs for children, why they had to switch churches, and even religions to attend one favorable to their situation.

Another even turned to me and said, "They are all the same. They are all the same."

No mention of Father Yah, His Son, His opinion about anything - it was unsettling. While getting to the car to leave, I asked, "Lord, what was that about?"

Before I turned the ignition, I heard, "Family country club." The Tree of Knowledge - ego, self-focus, the assumption of know what Yah wants over getting to know His intimately - displayed itself in that conversation.

If you are led by the Spirit to deliver the Good News to atheists and agnostics, then do so. Answer their questions. Seek the Father with them. Ask Him to give you the words you need for them. Show them the Father's love and concern above all else.

:yep:

Very encouraging! Thank you!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
@YvetteWithJoy, just before I saw this thread, I was in prayer about this very matter.

To answer your question, I cherish my walk with Christ.

At the same time I defend against "Americanity" which disguises itself as a form of Christianity.

Americanity uses the Bible and Christian lingo to manipulate people into serving it rather than serving the true and living God.

The focus of Americanity is on the blessings, not on The One who blesses although He is mentioned quite frequently in the discussions.

Tithing is an extremely important part of Americanity, how else will the buildings get larger and the leaders of those buildings maintain comfortable or even extravagant lifestyles?

The biggest problem with Americanity is that it creates a bunch of lazy followers who would rather write a check to clear their conscious and put a checkmark on their to do list for the week.

True followers of Christ study His Word for themselves and follow Him even if it goes against what is taught in Americanity. I believe that God is bigger than all of our divisions.

I believe that He places each and every one of us into the society and the time slot in history of His choosing and that we are to make a difference where we are planted and with the tools He has given us.

I believe small groups of people meeting together to read and study God's Word and to pray and do His will is way more effective than warming a pew each week, but never making an impact for Christ.

I believe our greatest weapon against the enemy of our souls is prayer.

I believe that it is The Holy Spirit who brings understanding and interpretation of the scriptures when we are ready to receive the revelation of same.

God has been faithful enough to preserve His word these many generations and it is He who raises the messengers of His own choosing to carry His Word forward. I believe that God does allow us to ask Him questions and that He provides the answers whether we like them or not.

I believe "Americanity" a term I coined to describe what I see as a system which has allowed for the oppression of the masses for the benefit of a few, has run it's course.

It is now time for the remnant to stand in the gap to pray; to build disciples of Christ; to be willing to sacrifice all for Christ; to seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness; to share God's word and to encourage one another in the faith and in love.

Beautifully written from your heart...❤ Giving God the Glory...His.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member

"Show them the Father's love and concern above all else..."

Amen...:yep: