How Did You Create Your Hair Regimen?

How Did You Create Your Hair Regimen?

• I am happy with my hair regimen. It works very well for me.

Votes: 83 20.2%
  • I already have a good hair regimen but I'm always looking for ways to improve it.

Votes: 237 57.7%
  • I have a hair regimen but I get bored and change it regularly.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • I have a hair regimen but it isn't working for me at all.

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • I don't have a hair regimen.

Votes: 60 14.6%

• Total voters

TLC1020

I have been obsessed with healthy hair care for the longest. I just wanted to give it a break from daily styling but I never thought to do protective styles. All I did was wrap it every night but one side would always be longer and healthier than the other side :blush:. I was a lurker for about a year before I joined this board :ohwell:. Once I learned about the benefits of protective styles and stretching relaxers, my hair took off from there. I learned to be comfortable with wearing my buns seven days a week b/c my hair definitely benifitted from consistent bunning, stretching relaxers, washing and deep conditoning once a week. Thus, this became my regimen :grin:.

lavera

before I knew what a regimen was, I would wash/dc/rollerset once a week, I tired to "mimic" what the stylist would do, it worked and I grew my hair to APL. But after frying it everyday (hooded dryer broke) APL broke down to NL. In search for a cure, google led me to a few hair sites, I research, read, and research some more, became a PJ, and now I know my hair. My regimen is simple and works for me, I just basically do what my hair tells me to, but I am always looking for ways to improve it

Tee

Before LHCF, I left my hair in the hands of my beautician. I used quality products but I almost never did anything to my own hair.

After seeing my stay around the same length (SL) for a long time, I knew there had to be a better way. I started doing internet searches and here I land. :happydance:

I learned so much here in my first year. I started finding out what worked for me by trial and error. Now, I know what works for my hair. (Many many many products later!)

MJ

Trial and error, plus great ideas from the board.

ETA: Listening to my hair works best though. I've simplified my regimen considerably. I no longer use 50-million products.

Last edited:
Definitely trial and error. Started going through fotkis and looking at albums of hair that looked like mine and tried their regimens. Eventually, weeded out what didn't work and tweaked what kinda did to get where I am.

Now, if I try something new, it's based on my overall knowledge of ingredients that work on my hair type.

fluffylocks

Definitely trial and error. Started going through fotkis and looking at albums of hair that looked like mine and tried their regimens. Eventually, weeded out what didn't work and tweaked what kinda did to get where I am.

Now, if I try something new, it's based on my overall knowledge of ingredients that work on my hair type.

Me too...From books I learned the basicis of what you need to do, then i looked through regimens and tried products and techniques for about a year.

gloomgeisha

I'll go with the trial and error method. When I first joined LHCF I was doing everything under the sun every other day,but now I'm a lot more set in my ways.

MonPetite

I can't believe I ever forgot...my first regimen came from:

CATHY HOWSE

I saw her briefly at a convention before I knew who she was. Saw her book later (or did I order it online?). I followed her ideas then wondered if other Black women want long hair of their own too and if there was an online community for it like everything else.

I googled....BAM! LHCF!

The rest is history!

Newtogrow

When I first came to the hairboard, I took a little advice from here and there and tried mainly the oils and cowashes.

As I read more and more, and observed my hair- I figured out that I need a balance of moisture and protein.

I keep a journal because I switch things up sometimes-therefore I know when I last did a protein treatment, deep condition, henna, baking soda rinse so on and so on.

Most of all, I do low manipulation and the KISS method.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I am consolidating tonight...all that product junkyism that is ruining my life lol! I'm combining all my liquid oils which I've tested for years now, off and on. I'm combining my butters, my leave-in smoothing moisturing cremes, and keeping my curl definition cremes and my shampoo/conditioner as well as the herbal alternatives. It's actually simple. Sometimes, I need conventional shampoo/conditioner. Othertimes, I need alternative powders and oil rinses. Those are interchangeable. The others I need depending upon the season, level of humidity in the air and my styling needs.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I am consolidating tonight...all that product junkyism that is ruining my life lol! I'm combining all my liquid oils which I've tested for years now, off and on. I'm combining my butters, my leave-in smoothing moisturing cremes, and keeping my curl definition cremes and my shampoo/conditioner as well as the herbal alternatives. It's actually simple. Sometimes, I need conventional shampoo/conditioner. Othertimes, I need alternative powders and oil rinses. Those are interchangeable. The others I need depending upon the season, level of humidity in the air and my styling needs.

Consolidating How?:look:

Day Dreamer

I do not have a hair regimen(very new to everything and I just found out what a co-wash was) but have been reading articles by sistaslick. I found this board out of a need to handle my own hair since it became expensive to go to the salon and i was unemployed. So I took a little money and bought a few things to start with.The journey will begin tomorrow with my first wash. I was actually looking through this board before I joined and I saw such wonderful, georgeous, healthy-looking heads of hair. So i decided to come in get some advice, maybe a little encourage and just do the thang.

isabella09

I have always been interested in using good products but unfortunately never had the knowledge (of ingredients etc) or understanding (hair science) of how to distinguish a good product therefore I simply purchased high-end products in the delusion that high price always equalled a good/high quality product :rolleyes:. Prior to the forum I rarely moisturized, DC, never clarified, :nono: never used a flat iron and only blow-dried my hair once in my life. When I discovered and began to intensely research hair forums I finally found my beloved staples, a regimen that worked for me, gained the wealth of knowledge I lacked and with this, discovered a like - which is developing into a love affair - with healthy haircare practises and knowledge (I also discovered that my hair wasn’t the issue but at fault was my lack of knowledge, lack of a thoroughly researched regimen, improper product choices and an extremely poor techniques).
I now thankfully have a good hair regimen which I'm consistent with but will continue to research the forum for ways to improve it when ever necessary.

Last edited:

Lucia

I had been damaging my hair every way possible, I had a regular-super relaxer and they tried to get my hair bone straight-never woked my hair just got damaged but never stopped waving/curling up and my stylist didn't understand why my hair acted like that. It was highlighted cause all the cool girls at school had highlights yada, yada.
and I used heat all the time. So my natural BSL hair (before the relaxer) broke off to neck length and I chopped it into a bob and started over with braids which I didn't moisturize or wash often cause I though my hair would rot and fall out :rolleyes: smh @ that one.

I was searching for some way to grow my hair back to a decent length so I searched and found some hair boards but stayed here and lurked for months soaking up all the info, and I copied other longhairs regimes until I made up my own then downsized all my PJ-ism so now it's minimal products, minimal manipulation/heat and maximum growth, and health.

Last edited:

melodies815

Lucia,

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I could never get bone straight hair with a hairdresser either (that is, until I found Influance relaxer in 2007), but by then, I was tired of having to do soooo much just to maintain my hair.

Overall, I had a relatively healthy regimen. Only...I used the blowdryer after each wash..and the comb just ripped my poor strands to pieces. It's a wonder I had any hair at all, though I never had trouble growing hair. I had a pseudoregimen that included washing with whatever felt good in my hair. Rarely conditioning...and sealing with oil after I put in a protectant, even though I didn't know I was doing that. It's funny, I never used my protectant as a protectant. I used it for detangling. lol

It was not until LHCF that I did anything to my hair that made sense. I have a regimen now. :grin:.....and my hair has never been healthier!

Thanks ladies (and gents)!!

cj

darlingdiva

When I had a regimen, I created it by reading the posts on LHCF. I pretty much started from scratch b/c I was used to someone else doing my hair my entire life.

Over time, I switched my regimen based on my hair needs. I no longer have a regimen. Even though I basically do the exact same things every time I wash and style my hair, I don't refer to it as a regimen because I'm not doing it based on any rules. I'm doing it because of what my hair needs at that time.

BlkOnyx488

I created my regime by first eliminating everything I was doing wrong
which was everything

1. I put my hair on an Alcohol Free diet, every product that I had that had alcohol in it I stopped using.

2. I decided until I truely learn how to care for my hair I needed to stop relaxing.

3. No more shampooing.

4. reduced my use of store bought products
except for leave in conditioner, s-curl, and MTG

5. I tossed out all my small toothed rat tail combs, and nylon hair brushes

6. I stopped raking a comb through my dry hair, and only combed it wet

7. NO MORE HEAT, except every 3 to 6 months I will straighten my hair to track my growth progress

8. I tossed out all my cheap curling irons and invested in a maxiglide

After I did all that all that was left was
1. Baggie every night
2. Co-washes
3. Clarifying cleasning with Apple cider vinegar
4. Moisturizing with s-curl

Things I still haven't figured out, or just learned
1. How to use protein, which product to use
2. Just learned how to keep knots out of my natural hair.
It's ok though, at least I am failing forward

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I picked the second choice, I only have my staple shampoo and I will have to find choice soon since CON green is discontinued

beans4reezy

I had no idea what my hair needed. I started stalk- I mean crusing fotki's and when I found someone who had my type of hair that was flourishing, I modeled my regimen after their's. I am reworking my 2010 to incorporate Ayurveda, so you ladies watch out! I'm hittin' up your reggies :)

fyb87

I already had a good regimen. I came to this board and one other board trying to find products for when I wanted to wear my hair curly without getting frizz, to get hair style ideas (I'm challenged in that area) and to meet new people. In the process I did find out about Cassia and Henna so now I do a Cassia/Henna Treatment once a month along with deep conditioning treatments.:grin:

Stacy TheLady

Mine was def trial and error...My major error was Mane N Tail... suprisingly cheap brands like V05 and Suave work wonders on my hair..

I added moisturizers and oils..i always DC..When i had my drealocks i used coconut cream not processed..straight from the nut. Alot of work, but its great.

Coconut oil is a blessing..try it. NO regrets

So i stick to it and only now am gonna try new products.

Truth

Still after a Yr I'm working on my natural hair care regimen.. still trying to create one figuring out what works and what doesn't.... Before I came to LHCF I had no regimen....I had no clue what moisturizers were and I was FARRRR away from knowing how beneficial CO washing was..after joining .. man o man I took bits and pieces from everyone created a regimen and became a serious PJ... Now that i'm natural... it's like starting from scratch...lol PJism away!!!!!!!!!!

Misseyl

Not to hijack your thread -- but my regimen is still growing. I cut my hair in October 2008 & the beginning of 2009 because it was thin. Now it's growing but I've noticed that the side I sleep on is shorter in certain areas and I don't see how that's possible because I only relax every 16/18 weeks so I can't say it's because of overlapping.

Now, I've recreated my regimen to include more moisture. Normally I only put products on my hair during flatironing and that was it - Profictiv Healthy Ends. However, I've never noticed it before but Profectiv instructions says you should put Healthy Ends along with Mega Growth/some other Profectiv product to get the full benefit. Well I'm happy to say now that I've been doing that my hair no longer feels crunchy and I'm 17 weeks post relaxer. Now that I'm using the product as a combo, I'm going to documented my progress to see if the left side of my hair catches up/is as long has my right side. I'll post pictures in fotki soon...

I know and trust Profectiv because I've used it in the past to help grow my Mom's hair and I don't know why I didn't think of using it more often on my own hair.

I'm really frustrated because I'm on this hair journey just too long not to be able to have my hair grow the way I want it to. Gosh, I've seen people come and go and I'm still at stage 1, when will my hair take off.:perplexed.

Prinncipality

I already had some of the main healthy hair habits down pat before my journey but since then its has been trial and error. Im getting close to honing in on a solid regimen but I'm still tweaking.