How do i achieve this look??

PlainJane

Oh wow I love this! I'm not very familiar about coloring. How much lifting would need to be done? Is if harmful?

SuchaLady

PlainJane If you want a subtle blue you only have to lift the hair to a brown. Lifting can be damaging being that you are stripping color. Arent you going natural? Lots of natural color and are fine being that it is only one process in the hair. I know pelohello is natural and colors.

PlainJane

PlainJane If you want a subtle blue you only have to lift the hair to a brown. Lifting can be damaging being that you are stripping color. Arent you going natural? Lots of natural color and are fine being that it is only one process in the hair. I know pelohello is natural and colors.

So lifting is sort of like bleaching? Yes I'm going natural and being able to color my hair was part of my motivation. Now I'm starting to wonder if I could get away with blue hair at my very conservative job...

Guinan

Re-Branding
So lifting is sort of like bleaching? Yes I'm going natural and being able to color my hair was part of my motivation. Now I'm starting to wonder if I could get away with blue hair at my very conservative job...

Yasss!!! I am a color demon :) I plan on doing the same color but darker and i will be putting blonde streaks in the front.

I believe that lifting is bleaching. To be honest, i would wait until u finish ur transition before bleaching. When i was relaxed I did bleach my hair but only in small areas like my bangs. The attachment shows the back of the hair is colored. I never played with bleach on the length of my hair; only rinses.

Will this be ur 1st time coloring at home? If so, do your research. Before i do anything i go to "class"; which includes reading articles and watching utube. To get practice, i started off using box colors (which i would not suggest) and then i eventually started mixing my own colors. I prefer mixing my colors as opposed to box colors. You have more control of the color.

Utuber latia hassell, nefetti bourne, mo knows hair and electrikk tv

Last edited:

Gin&Tonic

To get this look, you need to get a wig like the girl in the pic. You lift the hair with bleach and then dye it. I've seen that color at Sallys.

Guinan

Re-Branding
How to Dye Hair Blue

Having blue hair is a fun, funky way to get out of a color rut. These instructions will guide you through bleaching your hair (if necessary), dyeing it blue, and maintaining it afterwards.

Ad

EditSteps

Prep your hair for the shade of blue you would like it to be.*If you want light blue, you must first bleach your hair light blond. If you want dark blue, you must bleach your hair dark or dirty blond. If your hair isn’t too dark, you don't have to bleach it to turn it blue; however, this will result in medium shades that look muddy blue and natural blond hair that will not hold the color very long. What’s more, the blue will turn green quickly on hair that has not been bleached or dyed. The advantage to this is that green is fairly easy to take out using a "hair dye stripper" which can be found at most beauty supply shops. When it turns green, you can dye it back to blue.Put on an old t-shirt (that you dont mind getting dirty)and*bleach your hair*according to the directions*using hair bleach that’s the proper developer strength. Although leaving the bleach in longer may yield lighter results, you could also burn your hair out You can pick up hair dye at a local salon or party store. If you have any doubts about bleaching on your own, ask a friend for help or, preferably, go to a pro. Some salons may bleach your hair for as little as fifty dollars while others may charge as much as $200. The obvious reason for going to a salon is that they know what they're doing and can decide how much bleaching your hair can receive to remain healthy. Even going to a salon simply for their advice is a good idea.

Wash out the bleach. Do not do anything further (includingconditioning) unless you plan to firsttone your hair to white; not conditioning will keep your cuticle open, further helping you to stain the cuticle of the hair. (Toning the hair to white is not needed, but is a good idea if your hair is very yellow after bleaching.)

Dry your hair. If you don't dry your hair completely after bleaching, the dye you will put on won't stick.

Follow the directions on the dye's package.*In general, dye should be applied about 1/2 an inch from the root, and applied to the root last (to ensure even color). Then,*comb*the dye outwards towards the tips to ensure an even spread. Repeat this until all hair is saturated. Massage in dye with fingertips to ensure all hair is touched.Do not apply Vaseline to the scalp. Although it will prevent dye from sticking to the skin, it is*very*easy forVaseline to end up in your hair, resulting in strands that aren't blue but are really*oily. Instead, wear old clothes and put medical tape on the base of your neck and around your hairline. Also, keep a damp washcloth handy to wipe away flecks of bluebefore*they stain your skin. If you feel you must use something other than medical tape, try conditioner; it will rinse clean from both your skin and hair (though again, you should avoid getting it into your hair). Why take so much time to dye your hair if the results end up horribly uneven?

Put your hair up and put on a shower cap.*This prevents the dye from goingeverywhere*over the course of the next three hours.

Begin the process of letting the dye set.*The general rule with "odd colors" is the longer, the better. Since dyes such as Manic Panic and Punky Colors are of vegetable origin, feel free to let them sit in your hair overnight. Three hours is usually good for blues, but if you are that cautious, sleeping with the dye in won't hurt.Dry your hair with a blow dryer. Although some say the dye works better wet, the truth is that the color will set in dry or wet hair. By blow drying your hair, however, you are allowing the color to penetrate the hair shaft, meaning the color will be more intense and will stay longer. Use the dryer for about fifteen minutes or until foam stiffens then plastic wrap your head.

Rinse your hair once with*vinegar.This step isn't meant to actually rinse the dye out of your hair (that comes next), but to seal the color in. Think of your hair as an Easter egg, and the dye as the egg dye tablets: vinegar is added to the tablets to make the color vivid and lasting, and this same principle applies to the dye you are using for your hair. Any vinegar will work, but white vinegar is both inexpensive and readily available. Be warned, though, that vinegar will sting any cuts you have on your hands or scalp.

Rinse out all dye with*cold*water.*The cold water will keep your cuticle closed and avoid excess rinsing of the dye. Unlike other hair dyes, don't rinse until the water runs clear, as it probably won't. It is temporary hair dye, and the color will come out with every wash, so the less time you spend rinsing your hair, the better. Just rinse it until you're sure all of the sticky dye is out.

Pull off any tape and rinse off any conditioner.*Wash your face, neck, and back. Let your hair dry as per your normal routine.

Shampoo your hair*less often. Most people who bleach their hair find that oil builds up less (at least for a while). If your hair is*really*dry, you may only need to wash it once a week, and you still may need to condition.*Oily hair*is a bit more demanding, and may require washings every other day or at least every third day. Those with oily hair may only need to condition the ends of their hair occasionally. Experiment to find the best combo of wash/condition days.If you have oily hair, try using a color-refreshing shampoo once or twice a week. Don't use it more than that since the dye acts like a conditioner and will result in build-up. The shampoo, when left on for about three minutes, will allow some of the color you're taking out to get back into your lovely locks. To make your shampoo, fill a small travel-sized bottle with three parts normal cleansing shampoo and one part blue dye. The bottle should contain about two tablespoons of the color.

If you have normal to dry hair, using a color-refreshing conditioner will work wonders for you. Follow the directions above except substitute conditioner for the shampoo. Since your hair will benefit from the conditioner (unlike those with oily strands), you can leave the conditioner in for as long as you want. Five to ten minutes works just fine, though.

Ad

EditVideo

EditTips

Take special care of the conditioning of your hair after bleaching. The bleaching process is very drying and you may find you need to use a stronger conditioner afterwards.

81*Helpful?**15

Dye can be removed from the shower with ease. Try scrubbing with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. If that doesn't work, simply fill the bathtub with enough water to cover any stains and for every six inches of water, pour in about a cup of bleach. Do not allow children or pets around the mixture, and make sure the windows are open for adequate ventilation. Let the mix set for at least two or three hours and drain. Scrubbing may be required for darker colors.*Rinse*the tub after draining!!!

60*Helpful?**14

Use rubbing alcohol to remove dye stains from skin, and products with bleach in them to remove the dye from counters/floors.

66*Helpful?**18

If you have damaged hair, you better take care of it before and after you dye your hair.

2*Helpful?**7

Add

EditWarnings

Blue is one of the most, if not*the*most, difficult hair colors to maintain long-term. The dye will slowly fade (how fast depends on the type of dye) to a bluish green color as it washes out, and most people find that this is not a good look for them at all. Re-dying your hair (either blue or another color) is the only lasting solution, so make sure you're ready to commit to regular dye touch-ups in order to keep your blue hair looking bright and colorful.

42*Helpful?**2

Do not mix the bleach and the dye! It may cause a dangerous chemical reaction.

41*Helpful?**2

Some dyes use a chemical called Paraphenylenediamine, which can cause bad reactions in some people. Be sure to always do a patch test before dying, but especially with dyes containing this ingredient.

24*Helpful?**3

Only use glass, ceramic, or plastic bowls for dye and bleach.

29*Helpful?**8

Do not do this too often because it*willdamage your hair, potentially causing hair loss and severe breakage.

EditThings You'll Need

A comb and/or tint brush

Gloves

Blue dye in desired shade (Manic Panic, Special FX, and Punky Colors are all great brands to try)

Hair bleach at proper strength

Glass, ceramic, or plastic bowl

Shower cap

sunnieb

So pretty! My office is conservative, but I could get away with this. I'd just keep wearing buns and ponys like I always do. :yep:

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
Lifting is bleaching so I would say seriously think about it. You will have to continually rinse your hair to maintain that color too. Clip ins and temp color is something I would try first. Chime has a temp color video.