How do I find God again?

cdawnlewis

Hello ladies,
Too make a long story short, a couple of years ago I was married and going through a lot. There was infidelity in my marriage and my relationship with God got so strong. He is the reason I made it through all of that and have the strength to find my true happiness. After I left my husband, I started to backslide. Now, I feel my life is in shambles. I'm getting behind on bills, I've lost my way, and I don't feel like I have any substance on my life. I'm struggling to be a single mother/student and it's really weighing heavy on my heart. I'm tired of being like this and I just feel lost. How do I become whole again? Jesus, I need you...

PinkPebbles

Hello ladies,
Too make a long story short, a couple of years ago I was married and going through a lot. There was infidelity in my marriage and my relationship with God got so strong. He is the reason I made it through all of that and have the strength to find my true happiness. After I left my husband, I started to backslide. Now, I feel my life is in shambles. I'm getting behind on bills, I've lost my way, and I don't feel like I have any substance on my life. I'm struggling to be a single mother/student and it's really weighing heavy on my heart. I'm tired of being like this and I just feel lost. How do I become whole again? Jesus, I need you...

Hi :wave:

I believe you reached the first step by acknowledging the fact that you need Jesus, and would like to become whole.

Set time aside daily and pray for guidance, direction, and wisdom. God hears your prayers; even when it doesn't seem or feel like it. He will answer you and make you whole because you invited Him into your heart and life.

Read the word of God daily or as often as possible. The book of Psalms is encouraging and the book of Proverbs is full of wisdom.

Listen to some gospel, praise or inspirational music.

I also encourage you to go to a church where the word of God is taught and applied. Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

Before you know it your mind and spirit will be renewed and transformed, and you will be made whole.

Some things do not happen overnight but remember God will never leave you nor forsake you.:Rose:

CoilyFields

One of the lovely things about God is that he doesn't hold a grudge! He doesn't require a whole lotta fanfare when we lose our way and want to return to Him.

All we have to do is humble ourselves and seek Him. Just tell Him how you feel (he already knows our hearts so we might as well pour them out to Him). Ask him to show you how to get back on the right path (definately prayer and reading his word but there may be specific things he wants from YOU to get your life right).

But just know sis...he's already accepted you back...actually, he NEVER left...he said he was married to the backslider and God doesnt believe in divorce! Be encouraged!

loolalooh

Hi :wave:

I believe you reached the first step by acknowledging the fact that you need Jesus, and would like to become whole.

Set time aside daily and pray for guidance, direction, and wisdom. God hears your prayers; even when it doesn't seem or feel like it. He will answer you and make you whole because you invited Him into your heart and life.

Read the word of God daily or as often as possible. The book of Psalms is encouraging and the book of Proverbs is full of wisdom.

Listen to some gospel, praise or inspirational music.

I also encourage you to go to a church where the word of God is taught and applied. Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

Before you know it your mind and spirit will be renewed and transformed, and you will be made whole.

Some things do not happen overnight but remember God will never leave you nor forsake you.:Rose:

Especially do the bolded. I was at a really low point some months ago (and I mean low). A pastor asked when I had last opened the Bible. I admitted that it had been months perhaps a year. He strongly advised that I open it and read it daily. At first it was very difficult and tedious. I even gave it up after a week. However, when I realized I had nowhere to turn and that nothing in this life was satisfying me, I gave it another shot. Thus far, it has helped me know and hear God better as well as grow closer to Him.

So at the very least, I suggest reading Scripture daily like it's your medicine. You are not alone. Continue crying out to Him and He will respond.

cdawnlewis

Especially do the bolded. I was at a really low point some months ago (and I mean low). A pastor asked when I had last opened the Bible. I admitted that it had been months perhaps a year. He strongly advised that I open it and read it daily. At first it was very difficult and tedious. I even gave it up after a week. However, when I realized I had nowhere to turn and that nothing in this life was satisfying me, I gave it another shot. Thus far, it has helped me know and hear God better as well as grow closer to Him.

So at the very least, I suggest reading Scripture daily like it's your medicine. You are not alone. Continue crying out to Him and He will respond.

Thank you so much for this

Guitarhero

Hello ladies,

Looks like you've already found Him. Now talk to Him, daily. He will do the rest. :blowkiss:

Prudent1

"... He strongly advised that I open it and read it daily. So at the very least, I suggest reading Scripture daily like it's your medicine. You are not alone. Continue crying out to Him and He will respond.
To the above I will only add read it aloud as often as possible. Why? B/c God's word is alive and powerful. When God made all that is he did so by speaking, then change came. When he made you, you inherited certain abilities. One of them is the ability to speak life over your circumstances. When you read God's word aloud, things are changing in the spiritual realm immediately. Tangible results will show up later but in the real world (think Matrix) things are already changing despite the fact that you may not be able to understand them with your mind. The word says he will be found by those that seek him! Lift up your head. I went through similar things as a younger divorced single mom. I made it thanks be to God! We have all done stupid things! There is no condemnation here. Shake off the dust, thank God for being in a state of brokeness so that he can make you whole, grab your armor and KIM! You win!
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Gen 1:1, 3, 6, 9
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
6 Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”
9 Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.
And so on...
Rom 4:17
17"... He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.
Jer 29:14
14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."
Heb 11:6
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
Acts 28:5
5But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects.
Read all of Romans 8 when you get a chance. Powerfull stuff!:yep:
Rom 8:37
37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

PinkPebbles

To the above I will only add read it aloud as often as possible. Why? B/c God's word is alive and powerful. When God made all that is he did so by speaking, then change came. When he made you, you inherited certain abilities. One of them is the ability to speak life over your circumstances. When you read God's word aloud, things are changing in the spiritual realm immediately. Tangible results will show up later but in the real world (think Matrix) things are already changing despite the fact that you may not be able to understand them with your mind. The word says he will be found by those that seek him! Lift up your head. I went through similar things as a younger divorced single mom. I made it thanks be to God! We have all done stupid things! There is no condemnation here. Shake off the dust, thank God for being in a state of brokeness so that he can make you whole, grab your armor and KIM! You win!
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
6 Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”
9 Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.
And so on...
17"... He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.
14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

@ the bolded is so true! I can attest to this as well. The thank you button was not enough. :amen:! This morning I read God's word (His promises) aloud and oh my...change has definitely taken place!

cdawnlewis

And so on...

WOW! Thank you so much! That gives me encouragement!

LovingLady

And so on...

You are a true blessing from God. Thank you for this. PinkPebbles you are right the thank you button is not enough.

Cdawnlewis please keep us updated on how you are doing.

:giveheart:

cdawnlewis

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your encouraging words. I did go to Church this past Sunday, and I was encouraged. I got annointed and my days were wonderful. Then a bomb hit me today and I'm back in a funk :(. I'm just so tired of going through these storms. It's really starting to affect me in so many ways.

loolalooh

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your encouraging words. I did go to Church this past Sunday, and I was encouraged. I got annointed and my days were wonderful. Then a bomb hit me today and I'm back in a funk :(. I'm just so tired of going through these storms. It's really starting to affect me in so many ways.

I can relate to this up and down and I'm sure others can too. One thing we have to realize is that there is a difference between temporary happiness and permanent joy. Temporary happiness is dependent on our circumstances; if things go well, we're fine, but if a bombshell hits, we fall. On the other hand, permanent joy is independent of circumstance. Think about Paul as he was in prison in the New Testament; he still had joy despite being in that cell.

Joy means knowing that these "bombs" are temporary and cannot destroy us. Joy means knowing that God won't let us down and has the best for us waiting at the end. Joy means knowing that God is always with us and thus will not let us suffer eternally. Look to joy to help you through the "bombs", tests, trials, etc. Joy is found in the Lord.

loolalooh

Additionally, I know this may come off cliche but it is very true. Consider these struggles, tests, and trials to be a refining tool. These sorts of situations shape us and prepare us for what He has in store. Additionally, in some cases, these situations are part of His plan in bringing a blessing. I don't want to hijack your thread, but maybe the following story will help a bit:

Last week, I found out that my 5-yr fellowship for graduate school got cut down. The foundation told me they could only cover 1 yr of school because the economy is bad, we're in a recession, and blah blah. I was livid because I received this news after leaving my secure career just to return to school. Then I remembered that God has a reason for allowing every situation to occur in our lives. Perhaps, this fellowship cancellation will make room for a bigger fellowship? Perhaps I'll have to do a teacher's assistantship for money and in that I will meet my husband? Perhaps, this situation will teach me something I haven't realized? I don't know the answer yet, but I know He has my best interest at heart. His interest may not equal my interest, but it is best.

Stay strong through the storms, girl. Don't let them overtake you. Continue reaching out to Him.

cdawnlewis

Thank you so much Loolalooh! That helps me tremendously!! My favorite parts:

Joy means knowing that these "bombs" are temporary and cannot destroy us. Joy means knowing that God won't let us down and has the best for us waiting at the end. Joy means knowing that God is always with us and thus will not let us suffer eternally. Look to joy to help you through the "bombs", tests, trials, etc. Joy is found in the Lord.

Temporary happiness is dependent on our circumstances; if things go well, we're fine, but if a bombshell hits, we fall. On the other hand, permanent joy is independent of circumstance.

Prudent1

Let me say this too... When (not if) the storms of life hit you it helps to have a journal of the good days handy. I don't know what it is about human nature but we can remember all the bad stuff with ease. It takes intentional effort on our part to remember good stuff even if it is God we are talking about. So the next time something good happens and you feel encouraged, jot it down. Save it. You will need to read it again at some point. Doing this is scriptural. We are told to renew our minds daily, encourage ourselves like David did, and to think on good things. We know the passages but sometimes we haven't been taught how to do this stuff. This is one way. Force yourself to remember God's goodness. Eventually it will be a habit. The good always outweighs, outshines the bad but you gotta learn to stay focused. You are well on your way lady. :hug2: **Prudent1 sings to you**
Hold On, Don't Let Go
(written by Richard Smallwood)
(recorded by Richard Smallwood & Vision)

Verse 1:
Heartaches may come,
teardrops may fall,
seems like no one's there for you.

Friends are all gone,
you feel alone,
be strong God has a plan for you.

Verse 2:
Hold on, hold on to Him.
let Him lead you,
your valley is temporary.

This too, this too shall pass,
find peace at last,
in Him we have the victory.

Chorus:
Hold on, don't let go,
even though your heart hurts you so;
He'll never let go of your hand.

Verse 3:
Just be steadfast,
just be faithful,
God is only teaching you.

Eyes have not seen,
neither have ears heard
just what He has prepared for you.

Chorus

Bridge:
Your trials come to make you strong,
seasons will change, it won't be long.

Last edited:

NicBenny

cdawnlewis - Anytime we lose our connection with God and really need to get it back, be prepared for small storms or bombs as they serve as distractions to keep us away from him.

Remember to stay steadfast in your purpose to be close to HIM again. Try to read every day, say your prayers as often as you can. stay in fellowship (Church) and keep yourself surrounded by sipirtual people.

You are blessed and a child of God! God likes to hear from his children!:yep:

thanks to all who've contributed to this thread... thank you, OP, for starting this thread... i've been aching on the inside for a LONG time... this thread was on the front page of the website screaming at me LOUD and clear... i just couldn't find my way back to Him... and although the means to getting back on my spiritual path have been there all along (church, the Word, prayer, etc), i've been feeling like i'm not worthy... like the Lord forgot about me... and this really drives it home for me... i'm sitting here in tears... take me back, dear Lord! the devil is definitely at work... he's always busy... and he has been making me feel so undeserving for so long... i'm ready to find myself lost in the Lord again... it's time... thanks for this thread! sorry if it seems as though i'm rambling... i have a lot of thoughts zooming through my mind right now... number 1--repent!

cdawnlewis

thanks to all who've contributed to this thread... thank you, OP, for starting this thread... i've been aching on the inside for a LONG time... this thread was on the front page of the website screaming at me LOUD and clear... i just couldn't find my way back to Him... and although the means to getting back on my spiritual path have been there all along (church, the Word, prayer, etc), i've been feeling like i'm not worthy... like the Lord forgot about me... and this really drives it home for me... i'm sitting here in tears... take me back, dear Lord! the devil is definitely at work... he's always busy... and he has been making me feel so undeserving for so long... i'm ready to find myself lost in the Lord again... it's time... thanks for this thread! sorry if it seems as though i'm rambling... i have a lot of thoughts zooming through my mind right now... number 1--repent!
That is exactly how I feel as well! Like I've traveled so far from God that he looks at me with disappointment. I hate that feeling, but I have to believe that God is my Father, and sometimes he has to let me get into things to learn right from wrong. He's the same with you, don't forget that! I will keep you in my prayers we WILL get throught this! Pm me if you need someone to talk to

cdawnlewis

cdawnlewis - Anytime we lose our connection with God and really need to get it back, be prepared for small storms or bombs as they serve as distractions to keep us away from him.

Remember to stay steadfast in your purpose to be close to HIM again. Try to read every day, say your prayers as often as you can. stay in fellowship (Church) and keep yourself surrounded by sipirtual people.

You are blessed and a child of God! God likes to hear from his children!:yep:

Thank you soo much for this!

thanks again for this post! i cried out to the Lord... and i know he heard me! i'm just going to wait patiently for my breakthrough... and OP, i know and believe WHOLEHEARTEDLY that yours is on the way also... this is the season... we must rejoice and give Him the praise in advance for what's on the horizon!

LovingLady

thanks again for this post! i cried out to the Lord... and i know he heard me! i'm just going to wait patiently for my breakthrough... and OP, i know and believe WHOLEHEARTEDLY that yours is on the way also... this is the season... we must rejoice and give Him the praise in advance for what's on the horizon!

God loves you more than you know. The devil is a liar and wants you to feel unworthy. Continue to look towards him and lean on his word. I will be praying for you.

:hug2:

cdawnlewis

Yes ma'am! Today was a good day...I went to church and the message was so for me! I got annointed last Sunday, and let me tell you, it was powerful. I've already felt like God is really making some changes for me. I even found a new church home! Praise the everlasting Father! A message that I received today was that I am NEVER down, I'm either up or getting up!

JinaRicci

Keep trusting in God ladies. Keep getting to know Him with daily prayer & bible study. It's a daily renewal for all of us. Sometimes it's hard to get through all the feelings of sadness & despair but it's a trick that keeps us from connecting from the source of our strength.

God says "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Claim that, let Him in and allow Him to take away the pain & just love you.

donna894

I haven't read this entire thread; but I want to add that God has not gone anywhere. He is right here. Simply know that His word will not be null and void. So no matter how or what you may be feeling, God is here, caring for you and loving you. He is here reaching out to you in the many responses you have received in this thread.

cdawnlewis

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and encouraging words. I love the Lord wholeheartedly, and I know he will see me through! It's hard, especially knowing that the enemy really has a reason to come after me know that I am finding my way back to God, but I signed up for this when I chose to become a Christian!