How do I know when it's God's will???

ItsMeFre

I posted this thread a earlier, seeking advice about my current situation (check it out here http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=16399217#post16399217) and I want to get a Christian perspective on it as well. My husband and I have been praying and believing for a job and we've felt that if it doesn't come before the school year starts then obviously God doesn't want us to move. Now we're wondering if we're putting a time limit on God or rushing Him, when a job might come later than we expected.

How do you know if its God's will or just a strong desire that you have? How do I know that we haven't gotten jobs yet because it's not God's will or if maybe it's the devil trying to deter us and make us give up on what God has for us?

I hope this makes sense...

loolalooh

Hey ItsMeFre:

Here is a thread that Laela posted about determining God's Will:
How to Know God's Will

Here are a couple more threads I posted that go into more detail:
How to Hear the Voice of God
God's Will of Decree vs. Will of Command

In short, God's Will is not something mystical that we have to decode. In many cases, we can line up with His Will (whether we know His exact plan or not) by:

• following the trajectory of His Word (and Promises in Scriptures)
  • removing fleshly emotions from your decision making
  • being still (Psalm 46:10)
  • glorifying God (1 Corinthians 10:31)
  • following His commands (also in Scripture)

That being said, my answers to your questions are:

"How do you know if its God's will or just a strong desire that you have?"
A strong desire that you have can line up with God's Will (e.g., Hannah's prayer for Samuel), but the way to determine whether it does is to look at the links and steps above. If a strong desire is NOT of God, chances are it comes in the form of wanting to glorify oneself AND/OR of committing sin in the process of fulfilling the desire.

"How do I know that we haven't gotten jobs yet because it's not God's will or if maybe it's the devil trying to deter us and make us give up on what God has for us?"
Ime, though the devil is a great deceiver, when you are deeply rooted in the Word, his footprints are obvious. The best way to determine whether the devil is acting to deter you both is to follow the trajectory of God's Word, remove fleshly emotions, be still, follow God's commands, and determine if your actions will glorify God. The devil opposes God so much so that if he is working to deter you, you will see his ungodly roots IF you are walking in the Spirit.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
what does "be still" mean?

ellebelle88,
Basically just as it says "be still". Calm down, slow down, dont you do anything LOL.
"Stand quietly and honor God for who he is and his power."

HTH.

ETA: My bibles defination
abstaining from motion; quite, calm
W/O motion

Last edited:

ItsMeFre

I'm going to check out those links as soon as I get home...thank you so much for your in depth response loolalooh I'm going to read them then tell you what I think

sidney

You will have PEACE about it when you are in God's will. That does not necessarily mean that God's will will be "easy." Some people thing if they hit a bump in the road, then it's not God's will. That's not true. When you do the opposite of what God wants you to do there is "unrest." Alot of things are covered in the bible too.

ItsMeFre

You will have PEACE about it when you are in God's will. That does not necessarily mean that God's will will be "easy." Some people thing if they hit a bump in the road, then it's not God's will. That's not true. When you do the opposite of what God wants you to do there is "unrest." Alot of things are covered in the bible too.

You're exactly right!

ItsMeFre

Thanks to all who have replied! Loving sidney cyrealla loolalooh ellebelle88 ivyness ZebraPrintLover

I do hear from God and I believe that the Holy Spirit told me today that God's will is always going to be accessible. If it's His will, He will make it accessible. The visual He gave me was that it's like a maze and the end is His will. God is guiding us towards His will. As long as we are moving towards it, He will show us how to get there. That doesn't mean that we won't run into walls (try to picture a maze). It just means that as we keep moving, there might be walls or dead ends, then it is time to make a new turn right or left. So for example, we have been applying for jobs so that we can move. Application after application with no end in sight (imagine walking a straight line in the maze, then hitting a wall). Just as we were growing weary on this journey and starting to wonder if it was for us (the wall), an interview or an opportunity would present itself (God guiding us to make a left turn). So we got a new sense of excitement and went in for an interview, all the while continuing to apply for other positions out of this new excitement (us walking a straight line in the maze but in a new direction). Then the interview would fall through and we wouldn't get the position (a wall). Then energy to continue to apply to other places (left turn, walking a new path)....over and over until we get to His will.

His will will never contradict what He has placed on your heart. (The bible says that God will write His word on your heart). If God has placed it on my heart not to break this particular contract for whatever, He's either going to A.) Make it so I will have to take the contract (meaning that His will for me is to stay) or B.) Make a way for me to not have to take the contract (meaning that His will for me is to not lock into the contract, and maybe move , but not necessarily)

The main thing I realized is that my husband and I feel very strongly about moving. I also feel very strongly about not entering a school year, knowing that I could possibly break the contract in the middle of the year. (Who knows what kid could be effected by this). If we believe that we are the righteousness of God and that we are His sheep, the we have to trust that we hear his voice. And we feel that this is His voice that we are hearing.

I don't know if this makes sense to anyone, but I believe that this is what God has told me. Thank you ladies for your wisdom and inspiration. (The bible says to seek Godly council).

May you all be blessed!!!