How do I protect my hair from overlapping?

daviine

I have heard that some people put conditioner or something on their hair before getting a touchup. If I remember correctly this is to protect your hair form any overlapping that may occur. I've also heard that there are products for this. I remember back in the days when I used to self-relax, I think D&L used to have a packet for this.

Does anyone ahve any suggestions for me? I'd really appreciate it. I am getting a much needed touchup on Tuesday.

Also what does it mean to base your scalp and why is it done?

nissi

Well to base your scalp means to apply a protective petroleum-based cream to the scalp area to prevent the burning that usually occurs when applying relaxers, perms, etc. It creates a buffer between your scalp and the perm and gives the stylist time to work the perm in before you start burning. But if you have been scratching your scalp prior to the perm, it will open the pores of your scalp, and woe unto you honey! Try to let your scalp rest and pores be fully closed before you get your perm. Don't take a long leisurely steam bath before your treatment -- you will regret it! i personally base my scalp with a vitamin e ointment i found at the health food store the night before and the day of, cuz i know me! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The stylist being careful in their application is the only one who can prevent the overlapping. so you have to really know their habits, are they sloppy and careless? The conditioner only strengthens the hair so that when overlapping occurs, there will be minimal breakage. An alternative to the conditioner you may be seeking is to find a good hair cream and apply it to your hair 3-5 days before your perm. Profectiv products recommend this but you have to find what is right for you...mizani has a good cream (rose h20), permrepair, and i am talking a cream and not a grease...maybe others know some good ones.

tc_333

Hey D-

To protect my already relaxed hair during the relaxing process, I apply a heavy conditioner and then coat it with some vaseline. I do this around the time I base my scalp - just make as many sections as I want and apply the vaseline to my scalp. Then I apply the relaxer to my new growth. The vaseline acts as a barrier and helps to keep the chemicals from entering the hair shaft and scalp's outer layer.

T

TsAngel

Davine,
It takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to base and coat my hair. I base my entire scalp with vaseline. Then, I section my hair and apply vaseline right above new growth down the entire length of the hair. Tedious but worth it.

HTH,
TsAngel