How do I use Hibiscus Flowers (Another Indian Product)?

tryn2growmyhair

I bought Hibiscus Flowers and I would like to make an oil infusion from it. Does anyone know how to make an oil infusion from this? Also, I heard that hibiscus flowers can dye your hair? Is that true? I dont want my hair to get dyed.

I am including something from from nature with love. By the way, dont buy it from them. You can get it from any Indian store for a fraction of what fnwl is trying to charge! :ohwell: But my question is, the fnwl recipe is with powder, I have dried flowers. Should I grind the flowers or can I just put them in the olive oil (I'm planning to use this coz its cheap!) without all the work of grinding them into a powder?

From FNWL website
About the Hibiscus:
Hibiscus petals, also known as jaswand, were used in Ayurvedic medicine to stimulate thicker hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss and scalp disorders. The petals act as a natural, emollient hair conditioner. They can be used in Ayurvedic hair washes, oil infusion treatments and vinegar rinses for the hair. Use hibiscus petals in combination with brahmi and amla powders.

About making an oil infusion:
Brahmi is used topically in both Ayurvedic and Japanese medicine to treat hair loss and skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. Brahmi powder can be combined with ashwagandha, tulsi and amla powders in an oil infusion to massage the scalp. It is said to strengthen the hair roots, relieve itchy scalp problems and help dandruff.

To use brahmi powder, make a hot water infusion with the powder and strain it. The tea can be used to rinse the hair after shampooing. Brahmi is best used in combination with amla, shikakai, aritha, neem, bhringraj and tulsi powders. When using in combination, steep all of the herbs in water and strain the tea. The tea should be kept refrigerated and used within 4 days or preserved with an anti-bacterial preservative.

Alternatively, you can make an oil infusion by warming sesame or olive oil in a double boiler with the herbs for 4 hours. After 2 hours has passed, replace the spent herbs. After 4 hours, strain the infusion and preserve it with rosemary oil extract or T-50.

myco

I think powders are usually made from the seed of the plant and not necessarily the flowers. But, maybe if you dehydrate the flowers enough, they can be ground up into a powder form.

Probably to do an infused oil with the flowers you can follow the same procedure of steeping them in the oil. If the flowers are not dehydrated, you might want to "bruise" the flowers up a little to help them to release their essential oils and then steep them.

HTH

tryn2growmyhair

Thanks a lot. They are dehydrated flowers. I think that I will just steep them in oil over a double broiler and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the tips, Myco. Any other other suggestions?

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

weaveitup said:
hmm, we always made sorrel and drank them, lmao

i didnt know they ccan be good for hair...hmmmm
Yes, hibiscus flowers and sorrel are the same thing. What does imbibing it do? It smells really good, so far -- much better than the amla.

greenidlady1

My suggestion would be to steep the flowers in olive oil for two weeks (if you can wait that long) in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. I've been making my own hair oils with dried herbs (lavender, ginger, etc.) that way for about eight months. I was lucky enough to find an herbologist and consulted with her before getting started. She said two weeks should be the minimum to extract the beneficial properties from the plants.
Hope that helps!!

tryn2growmyhair

greenidlady1 said:
My suggestion would be to steep the flowers in olive oil for two weeks (if you can wait that long) in a cool, dry place away from sunlight. I've been making my own hair oils with dried herbs (lavender, ginger, etc.) that way for about eight months. I was lucky enough to find an herbologist and consulted with her before getting started. She said two weeks should be the minimum to extract the beneficial properties from the plants.
Hope that helps!!

Thanks, so much, Greenidlady. I boiled the herbs in the olive oil for four hours like it said on FNWL's website and then I put them in the fridge. I think that I will leave them in the fridge for two weeks. Does it matter that I did not grind the herbs into a powder beforehand? I do not have a grinder or a working mortar and pestle and I did not want to spend any more money by going out and buying them.

greenidlady1

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks, so much, Greenidlady. I boiled the herbs in the olive oil for four hours like it said on FNWL's website and then I put them in the fridge. I think that I will leave them in the fridge for two weeks. Does it matter that I did not grind the herbs into a powder beforehand? I do not have a grinder or a working mortar and pestle and I did not want to spend any more money by going out and buying them.

You're welcome! Not grinding them shouldn't matter- I never have and I have to shake my oil from time to time because the herb residue has sunk to the bottom even though I strained it.