How do tea rinses compare to Aphogee/protein treatments?

abcd09

What have been your experiences. I have sworn off of Aphogee 2 step because of it knotting and matting my hair last summer, leading to extreme breakage and splits (I figured the culprit was wrapping my hair while it was it, but that had not affected it before, so it must have been a 3 month stretch).

I like Aphogee 2 min, but it doesnt seem to be working anymore. I always have a lot of hair coming out when I detangle/relax/etc and I need thickening and strengthening. I have fine 4ab hair, relaxed or natural it loves to break/split. I am becoming frustrated because no matter what I do I cannot retain past in between APL and BSL. I have been on my hair journey since 2007. I've improved methods since then. but am tired of set back after setback. My hair is fragile, and if it wasn't I would be MBL or WL by now.

I'd love to try black tea rinses but am afraid of trying new protein-like treatments that may cause knotting and matting near the root and further down the shaft, or extreme dryness. I would use ORS replenishing to DC.

What are your experiences/comparisons? Is it as powerful as 2 step or more gentle? What about compared to 2 min or Mendex? Did you experience breakage or knotting or matting while using it? Are you prone to knotting and noticed the tea rinses helped or hurt your hair? Did you notice a big change in thickness?

Thank you for answering.

Last edited:

DrC

....wait...you wrapped your hair with Aphogee Protein in it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you're supposed to wrap your hair with a protein treatment in. That may explain why you got damage.
Plus you may be adding too much protein to your hair.

Tea rinses help stop shedding and I would say that Aphogee is a hardcore treatment for damage.
If your hair is damaged, and has excessive protein, I doubt a tea rinse will help.

How many times out of the month did you use Aphogee?
If you have one, what is your hair reggie??
How often do you trim?

Last edited:

abcd09

....wait...you wrapped your hair with Aphogee Protein in it? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you're supposed to wrap your hair with a protein treatment in. That may explain why you got damage.
Plus you may be adding too much protein to your hair.

Tea rinses help stop shedding and I would say that Aphogee is a hardcore treatment for damage.
If your hair is damaged, and has excessive protein, I doubt a tea rinse will help.

How many time out of the month did you use Aphogee?
If you have one, what is your hair reggie??
How often do you trim?
Yeah that was last summer. I have not used much protein at all since then (I did 2 step every 8-10 weeks). Let me clarify, I use a light protein every other week now, and I only started that six months after the aphogee disaster after I corrected most of the problems. As I said, I had done that before with no problems, but I wont do it again. the damage from that was a year ago (and has been corrected since) and I have been very cautious and reluctant to use protein since.

My reggie changes with what products I use. I usually prepoo with a conditioner, then DC for an hour, rinse with ACV, then airdry and PS all the time. During stretches I may flat iron my roots only. I ONLY use light proteins once or twice a month. I also moisturize and seal daily.Therefore I do not think overusing protein is an issue. I've worked a long time to find the right condish and products that are working on my hair, but I think I need something to strengthen it.

I know about protein and moisture balance, but for the purpose of this thread, I'd like to know what experiences people have had with tea rinses? The natural state of my hair is very prone to splits from the ends and tangles from the roots, so I am wondering about if tea rinses have increased or decreased these? I am wondering about others' experiences.

Last edited:

classychic1908

Tea rinses are to decrease shedding. Tea doesn't contain protein so it won't protect your hair against splitting or general damage.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I personally had no effect from tea rinses. Good or bad. I tried black tea rinses and black tea spritz. No change in my hair at all with either.

I use aphogee two step every 3 months and one week before a texlax touch up. I don't like the 2min version becuase it has mineral oil in it.

My hair is fragile and prone to breakage. I am also a slow grower. I struggle to maintain healthy hair between apl and bsl.

I almost always hide my hair. This seems to be my only solution. I hide my hair in half wigs and weaves for about ten months out of the year. I let it out for special occasions and when I need a break.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

chicha

If the Aphogee you speak of is the hardening kind, you are darn lucky to have any hair.

You are supposed to NOT touch it while that is in there. And only let the running of water melt the conditioner away. Then after put on a moisturizing conditioner.

As for tea rinses, its supposed to stop shedding. Didn't for me. But will not make it stronger.

Lady S

Tea rinses didn't really work for me. Still shed and my hair seemed very dry. Aphogee didn't work for me either. Nexxus Emergencee seems to work so much better.

I say try it, but follow up with an amazing deep conditioner to cover yourself.

Krystle~Hime

as you can read, black tea and every other tea by the way, are for deal with shedding or can add shineto hair.

and DRC told u that you didn't respect the directions of the 2 step product. thats why u had a bad experience with the 2 step. and that's my opinion too(I will never try to wrap my hair with this on it o_o) Im fine fragile hair 4b hair and this treatment is wonderful for my hair. Of course I following with a moisturizing product for not wondering myself why it'll leave dry broken hair.

As you are actually looking for an alternative to the 2 step treatment. you can read this if you want http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=13735223#post13735223

the keratin one seems to be med level, and the biotin one seems to be enough light to be used weekly(as reviews said)

but there is no tea that can be compare to 2 step product. Sorry

abcd09

Well I'm glad it won't cause tangling. So I may try it, although I seem to have the same hair type as havilland.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have fine hair. I tried a black tea rinse and honestly didn't find that it made a difference. I found garlic conditioner to be far more effective. I try to use it every few weeks or so to keep shedding to its minimum.

Add me to the group that hasn't found Aphrogee products to be effective as protein treatments. I am getting far better results with regular protein use balanced out with regular moisture DCs.

What exactly are you trying to combat?

abcd09

It wasn't but now the strands are. Did the tea rinses stop your shedding? It was drying for me. What did you do? @abcd09
@chicha I haven't used it yet, but I'm noticing a pattern that black tea rinses don't really make a difference for fine hair, based on the replies. I may be crazy, but it looks like a pattern. I'm hesitant to ise it now because I don't need dryness right now.

@mzteaze Just trying to make my hair stronger to stop shedding and breakage. It's not horrible right now, but my hair doesnt look all that great and strong.

hothair

How do you style your hair it may be why you have breakage. You may want to identify why as well as what to do to correct it. Have you tried clarifying and Roux porosity just to balance your hair out also remember your hair could break from lack of moisture.

I think you shouldn't write off the aphogee if it worked for you just follow the directions exactly.