How do you build a relationship with god if your disabled?

tngirl22

Hi ladies! I would really like to build a closer relationship with god but I'm confused about how to do it. I am hearing impaired I have serve profound hearing lost in both ears and I wear 2 hearing aids. I depend a lot on lip reading. I cannot use the telephone or watch TV without captions but I don't know any sign language. I feel like my disability is holding be back and I cant seem to find my purpose. I would really like to join a church and get involved in a ministry but I can never hear what the pastor is talking about in church so I always feel lost and out of place when attending church it makes me sad that I have no clue what the sermon was about. I'm not sure how to overcome this. People have suggested that I just a chance ask them to work with me and provide some kind of accommodations but I am not sure I should just join any church... If you have any tips or advice feel free to share them with me TIA!

CarolinaGal

:bighug:

Does your town/city/state offer ASL interpreters to go with you to visit churches? Are there any volunteer groups that do this? Some churches has ASL interprets on staff during service, but I can understand your desire to visit different churches before you settle on a church home. Are you still in the Knoxville area? If you want, I can help you do some research to find churches with ASL interpreters on staff.

In the meantime, let's stay in prayer about your situation. Just as you want to closer to God, he so very much wants to be close to you as well and I agree with you that fellowship and good Biblical teaching is a large part of the process.

tngirl22

:bighug:

Does your town/city/state offer ASL interpreters to go with you to visit churches? Are there any volunteer groups that do this? Some churches has ASL interprets on staff during service, but I can understand your desire to visit different churches before you settle on a church home. Are you still in the Knoxville area? If you want, I can help you do some research to find churches with ASL interpreters on staff.

In the meantime, let's stay in prayer about your situation. Just as you want to closer to God, he so very much wants to be close to you as well and I agree with you that fellowship and good Biblical teaching is a large part of the process.

Thanks for responding! Well thats the thing I don't know ASL. I'm like in between my hearing is definitely not considered to be on the normal level but I'm not completely deaf I didn't lose my hearing until I was in the 5th grade and I never learned sign language. I am still in Knoxville but planning to move to Murfreesboro/Nashville area in May.

BeautifulFlower

I think you have such a beautiful heart for wanting to get closer to God. Maybe this is a great time to learn ASL. It will help you in your ability to participate in church as well as be available to lead other hear impaired unbelievers to Christ.

CarolinaGal

Oh, ok. So would a hearing assistance device help? I'm thinking of the ones they have at movie theaters? When I was in Murfreesboro I attended New Vision Baptist Church - Knowing Christ and Making Him Known and they have a good music and media department. Maybe you can contact the office, explain the situation, and ask them if they can provide a hearing assistance device if you visit. Do you think that might work? I also visited a huge church in Nashville a couple of times, but it was too far to drive. They also had an extensive music/media department. I'll try to find out the name of the church for you.

luthiengirlie

I am Deaf.. there are ways... there doesn't necessarily have to have ASL interpreters... If you're oral.. there are oral intereptreters..... I wish I knew how else to help you Let me pray on it..

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
A church I used to attend had a special "church within a church" for the hearing impaired. They were a separate congregation with their own services. I don't know exactly how their services and ministries operated, but I'm sure that if you got connected with congregations and ministries specifically devoted to the hearing impaired, that they would be able to help you.

Books, though, are some of the most fruitful ways to grow in your relationship with the Lord. In addition to reading Scripture, there's works like AW Tozer's The Pursuit of God and Knowledge of the Holy. There's CS Lewis' Mere Christianity, and also Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life and The Spiritual Man just to name a few...Some of them are free online.

luthiengirlie

that is what I do.. I read books, websites, the WOrd in its original langauges.. IT REALLY HELPS if you get into the Word in the original Languages.. it helps you gain understanding.. because when it's interepted.. You're still getting it further filted down because of what THE INTERPRETER is translating it as.. SO YES.. read the Word in Hebrew, Aramic, thier versions and ask the Holy SPirit is leading you

Aveena

I am hearing but I am studying ASL at Gallaudet University, which I'm sure many know is the only Deaf University in the country.

Being immersed in the Deaf culture really opened my eyes to a lot of things.

If you like I can find out if there are any resources you can tap to learn ASL in your area? or any other Deaf resources in your area. I'll ask around and get back to you.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
that is what I do.. I read books, websites, the WOrd in its original langauges.. IT REALLY HELPS if you get into the Word in the original Languages.. it helps you gain understanding.. because when it's interepted.. You're still getting it further filted down because of what THE INTERPRETER is translating it as.. SO YES.. read the Word in Hebrew, Aramic, thier versions and ask the Holy SPirit is leading you

This is what I have recently started doing. You are definitely getting an interpretation when reading translations. Perhaps this is spiritual confirmation that I am on the right track, as yesterday I was thinking that I would learn Greek. Do you know the biblical languages or do you use the concordances? (I'm so glad they're free online)

luthiengirlie

I use both... I also use the Scriptures Version and the Pe****ta Aramic( s h i t t a) because they will block the Word

It is how I learn.. I use Concordances as well...