How do you increase your growth rate?

CarLiTa

Besides MTG, what can you do to increase the hair's growth rate? I see many women, including myself :) , making plans as to how much we want to get per month, but honestly, all this time i've been saying that, it ain't happen!! :lol:

When it *does* happen, it always seems by accident. I get 0.6" per month on a regular basis and I haven't had a significant growthspurt since the end of 2004. That was before I joined LHCF and I was exercising like a maniac! But now, I'm not finding time to do that again, although I really want to.

So, what do you do? do you take loads of vitamins? (for me, those never seem to be a guarantee?) does water REALLY help, b/c i'm not seeing 1" per month with that... do you exercise? do you massage the scalp? (any results?) do you ONLY eat healthy food??? do you cowash like u're crazy? huh? Also, let it not be a ONE-MONTH thing either, but something that's been working for you for a good number of months :cool:

I saw some old threads about 12" in one year and I thought, how in the world do you do that? I think for me to DECIDE, "u know what? i'm going to get 1.5" per month for the SIX months," I would need to have accomplished that before so I can know just what to do, but unfortunately I don't know... Does anyone know how to do it?

Jaelin

I think this is a question with a complex answer: Whatever works for you in your quest for healthy hair.

I don't take any specific vitamins for hair right now, but I will be trying one next year as part of my whole get healthy regime. I did take biotin in the past and that helped.

I have to say that MTG and surge has given me the most consistent results in terms of growth per month, without it was usually half an inch and with an inch.

Diet could play a part because adkins in '04, while bad for my figure, seemed to have helped the hair at the back of my head grow. I could be totally wrong as to the cause. I think the different foods I was eating in an effort to do low carbs, caused an hormone change or something (maybe the follices were dormant and decided it was time to come back). Previous to that I had not noticed any change in the the lenght in the two years I had been on the board and started keeping track. I seriously don't think it was a matter of retaining, I don't think it was growing, it was always the same lenght! I kept up with eating more eggs and drinking more water after I abandoned that diet. I have also switched over to eating mostly organic foods so maybe I'm getting more nutrients now and that's what's caused it to continue.

I don't massage frequently anymore but after I first found the board, I would massage the area over my ears on both sides of my head for more circulation because the hair was thin and weak. It's thickened up and much stronger now. I also trained myself to not sleep on only one side.

I don't cowash frequently. I usually wash and condition only once a week. I use commercial products to do that but my other styling products like my leave in conditioner, moisturizer, shea butter etc. are organic.

None, all or only some things will work for you:
I've discovered that less is more, when it comes to protein. I was devoted to infusium 123 and carrot oil. Got rid of them and my hair feels soft and is not breaking. This could be the opposite for other people. Tried MSM, made my acne worse. Afterwards, I discovered the worse acne could have been a sign of detoxifying and it probably would have cleared up, but I had already stopped and decided not to try again. Some people swear by MSM and have had great results.

The other part of the answer is what you do to retain any lenght that you do get:

I wear a satin cap or head tie.
I got rid of my boar hair brush and switched to a denman paddle brush.
I use only bone combs.
I have a k-cutter comb to detangle.
I usually only manipulate it once a week.
Hand in hair disease: I am trying to resist the tempation to grab my shears and trim too often.
Hard water: I know I have it (at school, when I'm home I don't do it) and so I clarify once/twice a month. I was going to get filters but the clarifying has worked out for me.
Combating dryness: since I have hard water, I spray with bottled water and my organic moisturizer.
I don't do buns as a protective style, I wear twists or braids.

I'm mentioned a lot here, and if I thought about it more, I could probably come up with other things that I've changed and discovered since coming to the board. I didn't do all of those things at once. It's been an evolving process. You have to decide what you're going to try and what you'll change. The protein thing was a big decision for me.

sky_blu

Though I havent done it in awhile EXERCISE helped my hair grow. I had a nice growth when I was exercising regularly but I couldnt keep my hair decent when I was doing so.

Mystic

I thought I could do it with MTG and yes, I seemed to have had some growth when I started using it but I slacked off. The problem with taking things to grow your hair is consistency. Start it off great but for some reason, slack off. My hair was last relaxed in August and my hair dresser cut 1in. However, the root looks to me like it has only grown .6inches in 3 months. I eat healthy, exercise - the works but these 2.5inches growth that I hear some people have per month is highly unattainable for me. I do not even get .4inches per month!! I have now resolved with myself that when I see other women experiencing excessive growth per month, I will just say congratulations and not wish or beat myself up to accomplish that growth because..., based on experience - it ain't happening!! My hair might take forever to grow but..., it is growing. It's just that while one person might take 6-12 months to get to bra-strap, mine might take 5 years :eek: (yikes!)but..., at least I will get there evenutally....... It's better for me acknowledge the slowness of how my hair grows and work with it, than to get disappointed/frustrated with it.....

CarLiTa said:
Besides MTG, what can you do to increase the hair's growth rate? I see many women, including myself :) , making plans as to how much we want to get per month, but honestly, all this time i've been saying that, it ain't happen!! :lol:

When it *does* happen, it always seems by accident. I get 0.6" per month on a regular basis and I haven't had a significant growthspurt since the end of 2004. That was before I joined LHCF and I was exercising like a maniac! But now, I'm not finding time to do that again, although I really want to.

So, what do you do? do you take loads of vitamins? (for me, those never seem to be a guarantee?) does water REALLY help, b/c i'm not seeing 1" per month with that... do you exercise? do you massage the scalp? (any results?) do you ONLY eat healthy food??? do you cowash like u're crazy? huh? Also, let it not be a ONE-MONTH thing either, but something that's been working for you for a good number of months :cool:

I saw some old threads about 12" in one year and I thought, how in the world do you do that? I think for me to DECIDE, "u know what? i'm going to get 1.5" per month for the SIX months," I would need to have accomplished that before so I can know just what to do, but unfortunately I don't know... Does anyone know how to do it?

Lovelylocs

Frequent washings work IMO. Protect your ends and have a healthy diet. I don't try using topical growth aids anymore.

Focussing on the roots too much can make me forget about the ends. So long as my hair is healthy and the roots are healthy, I am good. The length will follow soon enough.

Last edited:

ekomba

CarLiTa said:

You can increase your growth with braids/cornrows, protective styles vitamins (you dont have to overdose,pick the ones that really work for you im taking 4different right now, better diet giving what the body needs and lack, loads of water,mtg, massages, frequent washing, if u perming by extending your retouches, and keeping ends covered (even though it does not seem like it matter for better growth, trust me sometimes the hair break and you think its not growing so baggy method would be great) it really depends on each individual, but if even someone like me with 0.25in per month, the lowest growth can now get 1.5 to 2 inch even if you dont obtain this growth it proves to me that with great care and good regimen everything is not fixed and predetermined with good genes and that i can alter my own growth i m trying to do in one year what my hair is supposed to do in 8 years i may not get there fast but at least powerful thinking has giving a boost to my growth. and also exercise and anything that makes you sweat like dancing stimulates the scalp and is great for faster growth and i would also add me it s not just one thing its not just mtg i think its everything combined that gave me 2": braids,baggy method,mtg,vits,dancing and sweating,massages,frequent washing, upping my water intake

Last edited:

Candy_C

The only thing that give me spurts is biotin and b50 complex with flax. that combi almost gaurentees me with 3/4-inch of growth per month. also not combing and washin once a week. the winter is also good for my hair i have found as i'm forced into buns and the moisture seems 2 b retained more in winter!

Naijaqueen

my hair has grown out since the summer, and for me, its been LHCF, and taking away usage of heat at home, getting rid of my flat irons. Baggie helps, i stopped doing that and know have problems with my ends, and I'm getting back on it.
I use MTG and Biotin, CW keeps it tame. I dont comb my hair on a daily basis, and dont uses brushes.

CarLiTa

Thanks everyone for your answers BUT a lot of what you posted is to RETAIN growth, like the baggie method, protective styles, cornrows, etc.

i'm talking about something that will physically MAKE more hair come out of your scalp as new growth. I'd like to experience the excitement of 1" a month, for about two months :)

Right now i'm not and haven't been trying to increase my growth rate in a while. I drink my 8 glasses of water, not as "omg, if i dont then my hair won't grow" but because I know it's good for me overall. I only take a multivitamin *sometimes 2 per day*, and sometimes I take some Vitamin C as well. I tried Biotin and B50 but I got headaches EVERYDAY with those and then when I stopped, so did the headaches. PLUS, I didn't take them long enough to start seeing improvement in hair growth. It always seems like everything works faster to the NAILS then for the hair :confused:

Exercise is one thing that works for me consistently... BUT that whole dry scalp thing, not too good, and all the sweating, when u're stretching your relaxer makes the new growth even poofier. But I will start exercising again, b/c danggit i want to be more fit, get some nice leg muscles and a tight tight belly :look:

ekomba

CarLiTa said:
Thanks everyone for your answers BUT a lot of what you posted is to RETAIN growth, like the baggie method, protective styles, cornrows, etc.

i'm talking about something that will physically MAKE more hair come out of your scalp as new growth. I'd like to experience the excitement of 1" a month, for about two months :)

Right now i'm not and haven't been trying to increase my growth rate in a while. I drink my 8 glasses of water, not as "omg, if i dont then my hair won't grow" but because I know it's good for me overall. I only take a multivitamin *sometimes 2 per day*, and sometimes I take some Vitamin C as well. I tried Biotin and B50 but I got headaches EVERYDAY with those and then when I stopped, so did the headaches. PLUS, I didn't take them long enough to start seeing improvement in hair growth. It always seems like everything works faster to the NAILS then for the hair :confused:

Exercise is one thing that works for me consistently... BUT that whole dry scalp thing, not too good, and all the sweating, when u're stretching your relaxer makes the new growth even poofier. But I will start exercising again, b/c danggit i want to be more fit, get some nice leg muscles and a tight tight belly :look:

biotin is something you have to start in small doses else you experience major headaches. i had you decrease it till you dont get them and you make sure u take them with multivit or what you can do if you cant stand the biotin either take take a hair vit that contains biotin or eat food that are rich in biotin

MizAvalon

I guess I am in the minority, but I don't believe that there is anything you can do to increase your growth rate. Human hair grows half an inch per month. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but trying to force your body to do something that it's not designed to do is just setting yourself up for disappointment, IMO.

Lucia

Candy_C said:
The only thing that give me spurts is biotin and b50 complex with flax. that combi almost gaurentees me with 3/4-inch of growth per month. also not combing and washin once a week. the winter is also good for my hair i have found as i'm forced into buns and the moisture seems 2 b retained more in winter!
where do you buy the B50 complex vitamins, I'm a big believer in vitamins and increased growth. TIA

Ayeshia

My hair grows fastest when I do excercise....one year I gained almost two inches within 2 months that summer because of the extensive dancing and protein shakes we had to drink to keep our energy up while we were touring.

Victorian

old head
I'm not at an inch per month (yet) but I'm trying to get there. :)
I don't think of trying to increase my growth as trying to make my body do something it wasn't designed to do. Mainly because I don't know what my body was designed to do, and I think most people would have to admit the same. It's just that at some point you may decide to settle for whatever is practical for you and works to your liking, even if that isn't necessarily at your "max" growth.

As it turns out, the .25 inch per month I had gotten throughout my life wasn't the most I was capable of. How the heck could I have known that?? I wouldn't have if I had never gotten so into haircare and read all this stuff about growth rates and regimens and stuff. My hair grew and it retained length--it wasn't short or broken off or showing any clear signs that it was suffering from some egregious wrongdoings on my part; Save for some frazzled ends from using the blowdryer, but I knew good and well what that was from. And since I always trimmed my hair back to around the same length +- a couple inches, it wasn't something I worried about--which goes back to the whole "whatever is practical for you and works to your liking" idea.... So what was "normal" for me at the time and might have seemed to some to be what I was meant to have (regarding the growth rate), turned out not to be so at all. If I hadn't randomly decided I wanted to grow my hair longer, which lead me to hair boards, I would never have found out that simply increasing how often I wash my hair would result in faster growth.

So based on my honest asessment of my current diet and lifestyle, along with the experiences that others have shared, I'm confident that if I work on exercising and getting myself healthier, and if I consistently take vitamins that will boost my levels of those certain "hair" nutrients like sulfur and the b vitamins, I'll be able to reach my goal of 1 inch per month.

SandySea

Unless you are deficient in some nutrient, I'm not sure if there's much that will speed up the growth. I think that retention is the most important factor that we can influence.

CarLiTa

SandySea said:
Unless you are deficient in some nutrient, I'm not sure if there's much that will speed up the growth. I think that retention is the most important factor that we can influence.

i completely agree. The point of this thread was not to FORCE my body to produce more hair but to have this as some sort of reference for myself and others. I've seen threads like "how i got 2 inches in a month" or "12 inches in one year" and i just read an old post where the person said "i grew 14 inches this year, but I retained 10 because I had to trim" and many of us saying "i'm going to get 1" a month for the next four months." Heck, I planned the same thing when i just started :lol: but nope, i got my usual 0.6" for the most part, although I did get more during the summer.

So far, nothing I've done tried and I'm not really trying anymore, except for exercising, of course, because I enjoy doing that. I do scalp massages when my scalp feels tight because i dont' want my growth to SLOW DOWN, but i'm not trying to INCREASE it either. Vitamins and good diet are to keep me healthy but how much can they do, unless you are deficient.

Moral of the thread :look: : You can't decide how much growth you're going to get. Somehow, unfortunately, it just happens, except if you're on MTG of course.

meia

while growth is a problem-i think retaining could be a problem too! i think that if you were to start assessing a regime that works its best for you (and girl i STILL havent found one that works for me!!) you'll retain growth a LOT better so you'll probably see better results..and then you'll actually notice the GROWTH

mtg was the only thing that worked for my head- now while it made my hair grow, it had a few side effects for me...it made my skin break out and it also it tangles my hair so badly sometimes it doesnt seem like its worth it.. i think vitamins can help but sometimes enough moisture, keeping up with the protective styles, stopping breakage at the hair ends with semi frequent trims of splits, keeping hair and scalp moisturized, and conditioning a lot can also help and do help for me..

i know when it came to my hair, all of a sudden everything i did that worked didnt work anymore..so im now deciding to press my usually curly hair a bit at the ends and at the roots to show maximum length..ive bought shea butter to step up the moisturizing, im making a commitment to retain all of my length in as many ways as i can and a few other things...

i dont think there is a real way (besides mtg for some and vitamins) to increase growth --- retaining growth by being careful and conscious of hair decisions could just be enough to cultivate a healthy environment conducive to hair growth!

the moment i started to really pay attention to some of the more harmful things i did to my hair (and sometimes i fall off!!! lol :lol: ) i retained almost 4 whole inches!! which i still gotta cut off some damn splits!! lol

i hope that helped!!!:) good luck girl on your journey!!
meia

Last edited:

Victorian

old head
I should mention that "avoiding deficiency" (which is what the RDAs and AIs (adequate intakes) published by the Food and Nutrition Board are meant to do--serve as guidelines to keep you from developing a deficiency) is in no way the same thing as "thriving" or taking the maximum amount that your body will happily put to good use. You kind of have to find out those levels through trial and error (but you should be aware of current UL's (upper limits) that have been published for various vitamins and minerals, and exercise caution with those for which there are no limits established).

Which is why despite the fact that probably no one on this board has a biotin defiency (extremely rare in developed countries), a number of people have experienced accelerated growth from taking extra biotin.
And although most people in America get more than an adequate amount of protein compared to the amount recommended by nutritional experts, a whole lot of people on the high protein Atkins diet had lots to say about hair and nail growth.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to push vitamins or something :lol: Because that's not my intention at all. I'm just saying you DON'T have to be deficient in a nutrient (with regards to how deficiency is currently defined for that particular thing) to see improved health as a result of increasing your intake. Now whether or not "improved health" would literally mean faster hair growth of course depends on the individual and how much of an increase is involved. And I agree it's not possible to know ahead of time how much exactly you would get, if any.
But I, for one, don't know how fast my hair might grow given the optimal conditions, and I'm willing to experiment a little within (my own) reason to see what I can do :yep:

ekomba

CarLiTa said:
i completely agree. The point of this thread was not to FORCE my body to produce more hair but to have this as some sort of reference for myself and others. I've seen threads like "how i got 2 inches in a month" or "12 inches in one year" and i just read an old post where the person said "i grew 14 inches this year, but I retained 10 because I had to trim" and many of us saying "i'm going to get 1" a month for the next four months." Heck, I planned the same thing when i just started :lol: but nope, i got my usual 0.6" for the most part, although I did get more during the summer.

So far, nothing I've done tried and I'm not really trying anymore, except for exercising, of course, because I enjoy doing that. I do scalp massages when my scalp feels tight because i dont' want my growth to SLOW DOWN, but i'm not trying to INCREASE it either. Vitamins and good diet are to keep me healthy but how much can they do, unless you are deficient.

Moral of the thread :look: : You can't decide how much growth you're going to get. Somehow, unfortunately, it just happens, except if you're on MTG of course.

You know Carlita i think i be a very bad example i m aiming beyond my reach i guess i m shooting for 18-20inches in one year :lachen: i mean 1.5" per month thats 18 inches i guess i will see sept 06 what i got total its in 9months but i m having growth that i never imagine in my wildest dreams but pardon me i m too crazy no patience and shoot what s the worse that can happen they will tell you that 0.5 is the most u can get but i dont get that anymore and i agree we say that our bodies are missing nutrients but the food we eat is depleted of the nutrients we need as soon as we cook it so right now none of us is reaching the full fruits, benefits, capacities our hair is able to accomplish if operating at optimum so i will say any regimen that better the condition of your hair will make your hair grow better its like feeding a plant i will know for a fact dec 31,2005 where i stand as i m leaving my hair in braids for 3 months and it will mark 6 months and i bet you that in 6 months i will have accumulated the 6" that u supposed to grow in one year matter of fact i think its already done as i look at it but i will wait till i take the hair out and see if i can still dream or not but it looks good so far i think having my hair in protective styles is good cause i m not all into my hair, it takes my mind of my hair i just take care of it mtg, take vits rinse and dont see nothing put my cap and voila so i m like u right now i dont know what gonna happen i m just waiting for december to end so i can check it up finally :p

Last edited:

CurliDiva

BlackCardinal said:
I'm not at an inch per month (yet) but I'm trying to get there. :)
I don't think of trying to increase my growth as trying to make my body do something it wasn't designed to do. Mainly because I don't know what my body was designed to do, and I think most people would have to admit the same. It's just that at some point you may decide to settle for whatever is practical for you and works to your liking, even if that isn't necessarily at your "max" growth.

As it turns out, the .25 inch per month I had gotten throughout my life wasn't the most I was capable of. How the heck could I have known that?? I wouldn't have if I had never gotten so into haircare and read all this stuff about growth rates and regimens and stuff. My hair grew and it retained length--it wasn't short or broken off or showing any clear signs that it was suffering from some egregious wrongdoings on my part; Save for some frazzled ends from using the blowdryer, but I knew good and well what that was from. And since I always trimmed my hair back to around the same length +- a couple inches, it wasn't something I worried about--which goes back to the whole "whatever is practical for you and works to your liking" idea.... So what was "normal" for me at the time and might have seemed to some to be what I was meant to have (regarding the growth rate), turned out not to be so at all. If I hadn't randomly decided I wanted to grow my hair longer, which lead me to hair boards, I would never have found out that simply increasing how often I wash my hair would result in faster growth.

So based on my honest asessment of my current diet and lifestyle, along with the experiences that others have shared, I'm confident that if I work on exercising and getting myself healthier, and if I consistently take vitamins that will boost my levels of those certain "hair" nutrients like sulfur and the b vitamins, I'll be able to reach my goal of 1 inch per month.

Your response is very inspiring! :)

I started my hair journey in September and haven't gotten a good response when I've mentioned it to my family or friends. Many have implied that I'm aiming for something (max growth and long hair) that we (I guess black women?) should just not aim for.

I think learning to take better care of my body, scalp, and strands WILL result in more growth (per month) and retaining longer lengths. Thanks LHCF!