How Do you Ladies Do It? -Busy Schedule + Maintain haircare and growth?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Right now I'm about to be a senior in college and will be graduating in the spring of 07. I have been a member of LCHF since Nov 2004. I have seen my hair greatly improve and have some drastic setbacks since starting on my hair journey. My setbacks seem to be breakage in the back of my head. I mean...the hair back there takes soooo long to grow or get somewhere and when it does....it breaks off random ly and I have to start all over again. Along with my busy schedule, workout out, and trying to handle almost 12 weeks post NG...its seems like it aint happenin for my hair length dreams of brastrap..:(

So my question is how do you ladies with flowing gorgeous hair with no breakage do it? How did you make your hair dreams become a reality?

Any suggestions would be great!....P.S. I need more maintained hairstyles that promote growth not break it off.;)

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Just two words of advice: Phony Pony!!!!! :lachen: :lachen:

Seriously, I have a very hectic life as well: a full-time worker as well as a student and a start-up business on the side. I can barely keep up when I add in the weight loss woes. I take care of my hair, but I try not to obsess. I'm 12 weeks post as well and I could not get by with out a phonytail. It eliminates styling stress for work where I have to look pulled together. I use the baggie technique for my ends to keep them protected. When I get home from work, I take my hair down, moisturize, and put on a satin bonnet. Bunning is a great option as well.

Just a thought!!!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Thanks for repsonding legend. I have never used any phony ponies or weaves so I wouldn't know where to begin. Right now I put my hair french rolls and ponytails but I don't feel thats helping much. I'm so stressed out over my hair right now....I would like to see some great progress at the end of the year and I really to get my hair back on track. I feel the same way about the job and looking pulled together....

brownsugarflyygirl

I am new to this site...so please take that into consideration. But it seems to me that if you have 2a/3c hair that you could definitely do without the relaxer and use other less damaging methods to straighten your hair occassionally. Even a texlaxer would be better since it is less than 5% chemicals. Even if you are stretching...a relaxer is still very damaging...so that would be my two cents. Congrats on getting through 3 years of college...the fourth will be your best...and graduation is a beautiful thing!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
brownsugarflyygirl said:
I am new to this site...so please take that into consideration. But it seems to me that if you have 2a/3c hair that you could definitely do without the relaxer and use other less damaging methods to straighten your hair occassionally. Even a texlaxer would be better since it is less than 5% chemicals. Even if you are stretching...a relaxer is still very damaging...so that would be my two cents. Congrats on getting through 3 years of college...the fourth will be your best...and graduation is a beautiful thing!

LoL I should change my signature...its outdated and wrong...my curl pattern is tight and coily...I have more 3b/4a hair. Lord..I could never be without a relaxer...too much too handle. Thanks you for the congrats!:D Its been a long road but I'm trying to make it. Hopefully I can make it into the masters program at my university thereafter.

MissFallon

Legend said:
Just two words of advice: Phony Pony!!!!! :lachen: :lachen:

Seriously, I have a very hectic life as well: a full-time worker as well as a student and a start-up business on the side. I can barely keep up when I add in the weight loss woes. I take care of my hair, but I try not to obsess. I'm 12 weeks post as well and I could not get by with out a phonytail. It eliminates styling stress for work where I have to look pulled together. I use the baggie technique for my ends to keep them protected. When I get home from work, I take my hair down, moisturize, and put on a satin bonnet. Bunning is a great option as well.

Just a thought!!!

This is exactly what I was going to say. I dont use the baggie technique tho, I cut the foot of a stocking out and put it over the bun b4 I put the phony pony on. I moisturize at night when I wrap it up and never have any problems with my ends or breakage. You could also do a sock bun (I can't get down with those though).

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Hmmm… This is long, I apologize. :)

It sounds like you have a good protective style regimen already with the French rolls and ponytails. If you can keep your ends protected using other styles, then a phony pony may not necessarily offer additional benefits.

Now you’ve got me thinking it is possible the stress from school/work/life can negatively affect the health of your body and, consequently, your hair. If your overall hair care regimen is working, de-stressing may be a good way to go. I also know when I’m stressed, I don’t eat right either. Please, take some time out for yourself. I always say, if I don’t take time out, no one can do it for me! :yep:

Another suggestion is occasionally I have to rethink my hair care regimen, especially when seasons change. I know in the fall and spring, I experience more breakage. So, I change up products, routines, and styles. Most breakage occurs when my protein/moisture balance is off (example: the autumn air sucks the life out of my hair and I need to moisturize like crazy). Wet roller sets are a lifesaver for my hair and offer different syling choices.

If you haven’t read it already, check out Sistaslick’s excellent Hair Breakage 101 post http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Never fear! You can probably avoid the phony pony after all!

But, if you’d like to try one out, most BSS keep a stock of them for $10-$20. There are drawstring styles, clip-ons, falls…and they come in a multitude of colors. I tend to choose ones that are very close to my natural length, color, and texture (rather than smooth and shiny) because they look more natural. Sensationnel brand has a web site with pictures of different styles—from super-straight to super curly to micro braids: http://www.sensationnel.com/

You may find they are not for you, but they are a huge time-saver for me, keeps my ends protected, and looks good. People actually think the one I wear is my real hair!! :lol: HTH!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Legend said:
Hmmm… This is long, I apologize. :)

It sounds like you have a good protective style regimen already with the French rolls and ponytails. If you can keep your ends protected using other styles, then a phony pony may not necessarily offer additional benefits.

Now you’ve got me thinking it is possible the stress from school/work/life can negatively affect the health of your body and, consequently, your hair. If your overall hair care regimen is working, de-stressing may be a good way to go. I also know when I’m stressed, I don’t eat right either. Please, take some time out for yourself. I always say, if I don’t take time out, no one can do it for me! :yep:

Another suggestion is occasionally I have to rethink my hair care regimen, especially when seasons change. I know in the fall and spring, I experience more breakage. So, I change up products, routines, and styles. Most breakage occurs when my protein/moisture balance is off (example: the autumn air sucks the life out of my hair and I need to moisturize like crazy). Wet roller sets are a lifesaver for my hair and offer different syling choices.

If you haven’t read it already, check out Sistaslick’s excellent Hair Breakage 101 post http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746

Never fear! You can probably avoid the phony pony after all!

But, if you’d like to try one out, most BSS keep a stock of them for $10-$20. There are drawstring styles, clip-ons, falls…and they come in a multitude of colors. I tend to choose ones that are very close to my natural length, color, and texture (rather than smooth and shiny) because they look more natural. Sensationnel brand has a web site with pictures of different styles—from super-straight to super curly to micro braids: http://www.sensationnel.com/

You may find they are not for you, but they are a huge time-saver for me, keeps my ends protected, and looks good. People actually think the one I wear is my real hair!! :lol: HTH!

The bolded words are especially true!:cool: I have been extremely stressed out this semester and it has taken a toll on my body and my hair. It has been shedding lately with some breakage. I don't want to use emergencee b/c I thinks thats what broke my hair before b/c I used it twice...but too close together with not enough deep conditioning....which is a no-no. De-stressing for me is much needed but I start summer session in 2 weeks. I want to get my hair on track and I might need to rethink my regimne and products that I'm using on my hair...plus the hair styles.