How do you length check with straightened hair?

How do you measure your straightened hair?

• I pull it down to its lowest point

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I let it hang and measure it what way

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Both

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Auburn

I know some naturals & texs dont straightened so they pull their hair but what about the rest of yous?

I pull my hair down to get an accurate length check but I prefer to go by the length unstretched.

tada1

it never actually occurred to me NOT to pull my hair down to its lowest point when doing a length check. My hair shrinks even after straightening, so i instinctively just pull it down and take my pictures that way. lol

WyrdWay

I always stretch even when I don't straighten, but I will take unstretched pics to just to compare. I will "pull down"

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
IMHO there is no need to pull on straight hair, unless you lightly bump your hair with some heat then it might be less than an inch short compare to fully bone straight hair.

Auburn

IMHO there is no need to pull on straight hair, unless you lightly bump your hair with some heat then it might be less than an inch short compare to fully bone straight hair.

My hair, for some reason, is a tad bit longer when I pull it. I agree, it depends on how you straighten it.

LynnieB

Unless I do a really intense flatiron, my hair always have some poofiness left to it so I will grab a hunk of hair and pull it down to show true length.

I've only done a handful of fiery hot, relaxer straight flat flatironning sessions. It requires too many passes with way too much heat for my tastes.

Last edited:

Taina

I also have to add that as my hair is not long, wha i actually do is try a ponytail. Last month all the sides were hangin out, but today i could keep it all together

beans4reezy

I pull it down. Too much shrinkage just to let it hang on its own. If I measured by letting it hang only, I'd always be discouraged by my length.

mariofmagdal

Due to serious shrinkage, I have to stretch to get an idea of my true length. My hair shrinks even in a banded pony. I am also one of those naturals who does not straighten or use any heat.

BlackMasterPiece

I always have to pull my ends because I tend to "over bump" my ends:lol:....sometimes the ends will loop inward twice when I'm done with my press lol. I always at least lightly bump so I definitely always just extend my hair to show its true length.

Bluetopia

my natural hair shrinks to about 30-40% unstretched so i'd HAVE to straighten or at least stretch my hair to even attempt a length check.

even texlaxed the shrinkage is not a game.

mEmYSELFaNDj

If I am not going to straighten for my length check then I pull it down. But if its already straightened then I just let it hang for the length check.

Bene

I do both. When I'm measuring measuring, as in getting precise inches, being all scientific and accurate, with a tape measure, then I'll pull the ends down to stretch.

When I'm taking a picture, just for comparison, I let it hang.

PPGbubbles

I just let it hang straight or not....I figure my hair will always appear longer if I pull which to me is slightly inaccurate because im not going to walk around pulling my hair in public....what hangs is what ppl see and what length I am.

Not to mention I cant reach behind my back to pull on my hair lmao....I dont have flexible arms like some of you ladies... I may have to wait till BSL or MBL before I can pull if i want to lol

MrsHdrLe

I pull when I look in the mirror, but tend to let it hang for pictures for an accurate length check (like Ppg0069 said, it is what people see)

GoingNatural

I pull it down to its lowest point, but i don't claim it until it falls to that point naturally. For example, my longest layer is WL when pulled to its lowest point and if i did a flat iron it may hang there or close but i won't claim it until a more substantial portion of my hair hangs there naturally.

Mz.MoMo5235

i let it hang... i dont see why i would stretch flat ironed hair. i get my hair pretty straight with 1-2 passes with the flat iron so its as long as its gonna get at that point.

even wet hair shots i usually will just let it hang. the only time i pull my hair and stretch it is when my hair is in its natural curly state

NikStarrr

I do both, but when assessing my goals--I let it hang. I'm not really that thrilled if I'm pulling on it and it's BSL but when I straighten, it's only APL.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
If I'm busting out the tape measurer trying to discern actual strand length, then I pull. However, for the sake of comparison pictures, I just let it hang.