How do you maintain your twists?

Chameleonchick

I am talking about no extension twists here. The daily and nightly care of them. How long do they stay in? How often do you wash or condition them?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I wear two strand twists (no extensions), I try to keep my hair in this style for 3-4 weeks. I do not wash or condition them at all during that 3-4 week period. After the 3-4 weeks is when I take down the twists and then wash and condition my hair. I may moisturize the ends of my twists occasionally throughout the weeks. At night, I will either wrap the twists around my head (like a roller wrap doobie) or put my twists in a bun, ponytail, or permrods.

kinkycurlygurl

I am talking about no extension twists here. The daily and nightly care of them. How long do they stay in? How often do you wash or condition them?

When I wear my hair in twists I spritz them with water at night, wrap them, then sleep with a cap or scarf on.

Once a week I wash them with water and put coconut oil on them while the hair is still damp.

With this reggie my twists look fresh until I decide to take them down. My longest period was 5 weeks and I could have gone longer. I wouldn't wear twists that long again because my hair started to loc on me.:spinning:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
Two strand twists are my primary style. I like to wear them pinned up, or wavy via bantu-knots. I sleep in a scarf or bonnet with my twists in loose bantu knots.

I moisturize and seal as needed. I like to use Oyin's Frank Juice or Juices & Berries to spritz, and sometimes I seal with hemp seed oil. I also like to use castor oil on my ends for further protection. I massage my scalp with sulfur oil or pomade 3-4x a week.

I wear my twists for 3-4 weeks at a time, so I will take a week long break between twisting sessions. During that week, I wear braid outs, pin ups, and buns.

There are more suggestions in this thread.

Damaged but not out

Before relaxing I would wear my hair in twists weekly and do nothing to them. Twists=vacation time. I don't cleasne with twists in, I'll soak my head thats it.

The first week I do nothing, sleep with a bonnet or satin pillowcase. Hair pulled back in a loose pony

2nd week I'm still pretty lazy at this point. I might start misting and lightly sealing. By the end of this week I overnight DC.

3rd week, when it start to get that im gonna loc look. I wet my head and oil every day. With one of my detangling oils. Hazlenut, hemp or grapeseed. But i prefer hazlenut

usually by the end of week 3 my hair is too fuzzy to not undo. but all the daily oiling on wet/damp hair makes untwisting 80% easy. I do hit the occasional snag

Nonie

I wear twists 24/7 and I really don't do much to them. I put on a baggy at night with them going any which way. In the morning I put them up in a style while they are still damp and therefore easy to stretch and work with. Or if I plan to wear them down, I will spritz them with my ACV spritz and let them drip dry; the weight of the water makes them hang straight which is how I prefer them to be if wearing them down. Sometimes I will style them the night before and then for my baggy, use Saran wrap which works like a scarf to preserve the style and in the morning, I simply take the baggy off and head on out for the day. I could repeat this every night and not have to do a single thing. I shampoo, condition, ACV twice a week. Honestly there's hardly any work to maintaining twists. The time I spend on my hair every morning is 0-3 minutes. Wash day takes 10 minutes if not DCing and maybe 25-30 if DCing (that's including the 15 minutes when I wait for the DC to do its thang)

Oh every now and then, while watching TV, I will let my HIH disease take over and I will feel for twists that need redoing and redo them one at a time, so my hair is never all out and I can stop whenever I feel like it and pick up where I left off the next time I'm in the mood.

I don't use any leave-in products on my twists and I think this helps make them not mat or be sticky.

Chameleonchick

One more thing what about styling of the twists? Like I need some updos and styles to make it not look so boring. If you can give me a tumblr or something I will greatly appreciate that too.

Miss AJ

My twists only last me 1 week :(. The first 2 days they look good, then I have to pull them up to disguise the frizz until I do my wash day twist out. I twist on damp hair with Murray's loc lock gel and I use either a cream or spray leave-in to moisturize daily.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I keep my twists for 1-3 weeks at a time. After putting them in I normally cowash and use gel or KCCC to keep them looking nice and juicy. I sleep in a bonnet or scarf and re-cowash in the morning. Spritzing normally doesn't work for me bc they shrink a little too much if I let them dry overnight. Because I cowash and shrinkage sets in I normally don't have any trouble with my twists unraveling. I normally just let them hang in the beginning but once they start looking worn I start doing updos

down with KCCC or gel

updo

nzeee

Wow.

Doesn't anyone else get severe locing and matting action after just 1-2wks?

1wk in twist for me means 2 or three of my mid-size twists will be matted at the root. 2wks means most will be matted at tip, many at root. 3-5 means massive major hair loss / or shedding when taking them down.

Just me then?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Miss AJ

Matting at the root??? I've never experienced that while in twists, not even when I was wearing them for 2 weeks at a time.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Wow.

Doesn't anyone else get severe locing and matting action after just 1-2wks?

1wk in twist for me means 2 or three of my mid-size twists will be matted at the root. 2wks means most will be matted at tip, many at root. 3-5 means massive major hair loss / or shedding when taking them down.

Just me then?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Just cowash 1-2 days before takedown and the hair is soft and easy to detangle

silenttullip

I braid the roots and cleanse with a stocking cap to reduce matting it took me from matting after 2 weeks to no matting at 4 weeks

Nonie

does anyone have to use something on the ends of the hair to keep their twist in?

lamaria211 Not if you've got kinky hair. All you need to do is wet the ends and they'll coil up, and if they open up like this

you can squeeze those coils together and roll them between fingers to get a nice neat finish

-PYT

Nonie Thanks for always being so willing (and patient :look:) about giving advice. I've seen your same regimen typed over and over and I never tire of it :)

Nonie

Uhmm...:look: @lamaria211, what's stopping you from wearing twists now? I wore twists when I was just barely at SL:

...and I loved how they looked like locs when I washed them:

Loved how the ends coiled:

And then when I put curlers in them while wet, I loved how they turned out

(Hubby didn't; thought I looked like I had tarantulas on my head, but what does he know. I thought I looked hawt! Can't you tell from the poses? :lachen:)

Even when I did fatter twists, I still think they looked really cute:

And if I wanted them to stretch a bit I braided the twists when damp and let them airdry for a braid-out on twists:

Seriously you're lunching if you're letting this length you have now just pass w/o enjoying twists in it. :nono:

Miss AJ

I loved my twists when they were shorter. I was about neck length so they shrunk a LOT but I liked it. I always do flat twists in the front because I don't feel a full head of twists will look nice on me til they are hanging at my shoulders.

lamaria211

I wish I new how to do flat twist; I have 4z hair so mine never look right I would have to probably use black gel and I cant do that:(

chevere62

I think the key to maintaining twist is the size. I try to make my twist very very small. The smaller the longer they will last. Every night I will moisturize and wrap my twist like a doobie, same as I would if my hair were straight or if I had a rollerwrap. I then put a satin scarf on and sleep. When you wake up in the morning your twist should be stretched, moisturized, and looking fresh.

I also do not cowash or soak my twist in water. I find that this causes shrinkage for me which almost always leads to knots and tangles.

I hope this helps!!

Chameleonchick

lamaria211 have you tried Jamaican Mango and Lime resistant loc gel?? It smells so good. I use it for my sons coils. It is one of the only gels that will hold his soft hair together.

ilah

After Co-Washing in Celi plaits, I deep con w/ Silk Elements Mega Cholesteral for 10-20 min still in plaits, rinse, section, and twist hair w/African Royal Daily Dr Leave-in (the Giovani just got too expensive...), S Curl No Drip, ORS Olive Oil, Evoo and a little bit of Eco Styler (olive oil). Once all done pull hair back into a bun and it stays that way for about 3-4 days, twists are moisturized w/ leave in and ORS Olive Oil and S Curl every other day. When wearing the twist out, i'll pull back my hair into a loose bun and cover w/ satan scarf and bonnett. To extend the twist out i'll redo twists in fatter twists with only leave in and S curl. No Gel. Hair is cute till wash day :)

lamaria211

Chameleonchick said:
lamaria211 have you tried Jamaican Mango and Lime resistant loc gel?? It smells so good. I use it for my sons coils. It is one of the only gels that will hold his soft hair together.

I have never tried this before I wig 100% of the time so my stash doesnt include many styling products but I plan on wearing it out after I hit apl which should be later this year so I will try this. Ty