How do you maintain your wash n gos?

Neith

My bf told me he much prefers my natural texture to my twistouts... so I will try wearing wash n gos this week and see how it works out.

(Isn't he sweet? :))

Anyways...

I'm worried about tangles and single strand knots.

I'm thinking that wetting my hair everyday will make it more tangled.

I'm also really afraid to co wash daily. I have tried in the past and it just wasn't enough conditioning for my hair. If I'm going to completely wet my hair, I must DC or I get dry hair. Although... I wasn't natural when I tried this, so I dunno.

Anyways... sorry for being long winded. :lol:

How do you cut down on tangles while wearing your hair in it's natural state?

I was thinking of just dampening my hair with a water bottle and moisturizing/oiling every day. Does anyone do that successfully?

Ronnieaj

I use Teri's method for a wash n go, which doesn't really wash n go because it takes some time. Her site is www.tightlycurly.com. It essentially involves craploads of conditioner, detangling, and pulling the curls out. I do it at night and wear wng's for the next 2 days. I lightly dampen my hair in the morning, spray some leave-in conditioner on the hair (mixed with some oil), and gently fluff. I tie my hair down with a scarf and put a bonnet over it at night. I haven't figured out how to not have a flat smushed back of my head yet though. I can typically get 2 days out of it, then I must cowash again. And when I cowash, I put a deep conditioner in the hair and put a shower cap on it for the rest of my shower. It's def. not the same, but helps with the moisture issue. HTH.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
You could try gently pulling your hair back into a low ponytail with a soft elastic, maybe like a scrunchie or something. And then covering with a scarf/bonnet. I tried it on a twist-out and it worked fine.

In the morning, just release the ponytail, fluff, and go.

Here's someone who demonstrates it:
http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/april---june/

I have your same concerns when it comes to excessive wash 'n gos, tangles, knots, etc. I've been wearing twist-outs this summer, so the next time I wear a wash 'n go, I plan to try this method again.

Ronnieaj

You could try gently pulling your hair back into a low ponytail with a soft elastic, maybe like a scrunchie or something. And then covering with a scarf/bonnet. I tried it on a twist-out and it worked fine.

In the morning, just release the ponytail, fluff, and go.

Here's someone who demonstrates it:
http://public.fotki.com/Kinkerbelle/2008/april---june/

I have your same concerns when it comes to excessive wash 'n gos, tangles, knots, etc. I've been wearing twist-outs this summer, so the next time I wear a wash 'n go, I plan to try this method again.

One day I'll have hair long enough to pull into a ponytail :pray:.

Whimsy

I like your SO :)

I will usually wear the same wash n go for 3 days.

What I do for wash n go maintenance is: wash moisturize mousse and let airdry on day one
at night just moisturize my super dry hairline roots and put on a scarf. if my hair happens to be too big, i'll put on the scarf and then a bonnet on the ends. i do not tie this loosely and do not suggest a scrunchie cuz you'll get that dent (or at least i do).
The next morning I don't rewet, unless there is a particularly retarded looking area. I just take some cantu leave in and lightly moisturize with it. i pull at the under pieces to shape and stretch my hair, i kinda do a light fluffing and go. repeat for day 3 and that's it. If it's still looking cute enough for me, i'll go another day, but if it's too frizzy or something i'll only go 3 days. I hope that all made sense.

melodies815

The only way I can do a wash-n-go without too many tangles is to detangle like crazy in the shower with my denman-like brush.

pause. (lol@denman-like)

Anyway...I do that, use a water/no-cone condish spritz, shea butter, and IC gel and call it a week.

I can go for about 4-5 work days like that...just lightly moisturizing in the morning with wet hands under the faucet and fluffing...putting on a band (headband or fully-round-the-edges band or clips-in-the-front and I'm out the door.)

I don't do this much, though....but it does work very well! I am on a twist-out roll at the moment.

Blessings,
cj