How do you make a bun w/ shoulder length hair?

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by willie525, May 20, 2007.

1. willie525

willie525 New Member

Hello Ladies,

My hair is a little past shoulder length...more of collar bone length. I need to know how do I make a bun as a protective style. I am entering the coporate world this month, so I need something that looks really neat. Right now, when I try to make a bun it looks really small and mini. :lol: How can I make it look thicker? Can I only achieve that a sock type bun? TIA!

2. Starian

Starian Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to suggest, a sock type bun.

Do you know how to do french twists? I find those more elegant and just as protective as the sock bun, and they're easier to do.

3. SvelteVelvet

SvelteVelvet New Member

Well that sounds about the length of my hair, it's probably a 1/2 inch longer now than it was in my avi. I just wore a bun last week the first time in I don't know how long. It was a lazy bun though, i'm not into the donut ones. I think what made it so thick was that it was after I co-washed and air-dried in one big braid. So perhaps try air-drying in a big braid or two, I think the wave contributes to the thickness as well. To keep the sides smoothed I moisturized and oiled and just tied it down with a scarf. HTH

4. bablou00

bablou00 Well-Known Member

I made a homemade bun w/ fake hair the first time. It was real messy but it did the job. Then I took a black sock and made it into a bun. I wear it every once in awhile when Im not being lazy. It makes my hair look really full.

5. Determined22

Determined22 New Member

I use a sock bun lined with black pantyhose.

Or like someone mentioned, a french twist is a good option is well. I alternate between the two.

6. CAPlush

CAPlush New Member

I make one big two-strand twist at the base, twirl it around, and secure with an octopus clip. It's a "bun" and the clip keeps it from looking tiny. Me and hair pieces don't go well together at all.

7. sareca

sareca Well-Known Member

I wear a phony pony (UPA) pinned under.
    [​IMG]

Or a loose braid tucked under.
    [​IMG]