how do you measure your growth rate

tt8

So I am trying to see how much my hair grows during the winter months but I dont know how. I was wondering how do you measure your growth rate? What is the technique to do it?

sonce

Choose a period of time (say, three months). Take a section of hair. Measure the section from root to end with a ruler at the beginning of the period. Measure your hair from root to tip with a ruler at the end of the period. Take the difference between the two (average is 1.5" difference over three months) and divide it by the number of months in the period to get your average growth rate.

Ex: If you have 12" of hair today (measuring with the root to end method not the lay-tape-rule-along-your-scalp method) December 1 and then measure April 1 and find that you have 14" of hair, then your growth rate is (14 - 12)/4 = 2/4 = 1/2" per month.

Make sure you pick a long enough period of time. I know people talk about getting 1" of growth in 3 days but realistically, you want to pick a period of time sufficient for any length differences to be clearly due to growth, and not how well you flat-ironed your hair, how much new growth you have (assuming you relax), or how tightly you pulled the section of hair.

Make sure you measure in the same area too. I don't know about your hair but the hair at my crown is 3-4" longer than the hair at the back of my head. So, if I measure at the back and then measure at the crown, it might seem that my hair has grown 3-4" in just days if I don't use some gumption.:lachen:

Last edited:

Nonie

Seems to me you just pick a day in a winter month. Measure the length with a ruler and note that length. Then the same day the following month, measure again. That would tell you what you've gained in a month. Then you can consider that your general growth rate (per month). If you want to be really technical, you can keep track of the lengths you achieve over several months and then add those changes in length together and divide by the number of months you kept track and you'd have an average of your growth rate/mth.

For instance, in Dec you gain 0.5 inch, and 0.7 inch in Jan and 0.6 inch in Feb. That is a total growth of 0.5 + 0.7 + 0.6 = 1.8 inches.

That was over a period of 3 months so we divide 1.8 by 3 = 0.6 inch

So your average growth rate over the three months is 0.6 inch per month.

ETA: Just noticed that Sonce had already responded. Sorry for being redundant.

Last edited:

tt8

Thanks yall so much! I am gonna measure when I get my hair pressed this Thursday.