How Do You Recover From a Bad Relaxer Application (Scalp Burns, Underprocessed, Etc)?

tryn2growmyhair

I got my hair retouched a while ago and was not impressed with the results. I had based my scalp the night before with a mix of scalp base and tea tree and coconut oil. The next day, I went to a stylist who I thought was good and my scalp burned like the dickens. It didn't help that she was talking to someone else most of the time while doing my hair and had turned me away from the mirror. When I turned to look in the mirror I saw that some of the relaxer had gotten on my scalp! I told her that it was burning and she ran me over to the sink and as she was washing me out, she was like, just to let you know, the relaxer didn't take in the front.

I was like what the :censored: ! Relaxers at this salon cost almost $100, so I was not happy. She said it was either wash it out as soon as it burned and have hair that hadn't been completely retouched or have scalp burns. Well when I looked at my hair when I got home it was BOTH underprocessed and I have scalp burns. She used the same relaxer that has been used on me for years.

I would have made a fuss in the salon but I knew that I mentioned that I had used tea tree oil the night before and this had given her an available excuse and I also knew that the biggest fuss I could ever make was to not go back there again, so that that salon would miss out on the thousands of dollars that I could have spent there in future years as a satisfied client. I'll let my pocketbook do the talking.

In the meantime, how should I deal with this underprocessed hair? Also, how can I help my scalp recover from the burns as well? After reading one of the posts on this board where a woman had no hair and could NEVER grow her hair in the future, I am really sensitive to scalp burns and want to make sure that my hair and scalp recover from this.

TIA.

karezone

Are you sure she used the same relaxer or just a relaxer in a jar that looked like the one that you have been using?

I have heard of stylists doing this to people.

I deep condition with a very moisturizing condtioner. Use some protein if you experience some breakage. Wait 4-8 weeks. Enough time to have some new growth and correct it.

You correct by applying the relaxer to the new growth and to the under processed hair.

For example: If processing time is 14 min, you apply to new growth first and allow to process 7-8 minutes and then smooth relaxer down on underprocessed hair and allow to process for the remainder of the time 7-6 minutes.

Nyambura

surfer girl
den1 said:
100% Aloe vera gel is good for healing skin.

:yep: ITA. When my hair has been underprocessed, what saved it was being extra gentle and lots and lots (did I say lots? lol) of moisture - with the two textures of properly-relaxed and under-relaxed on the same strand, I didn't want to increase the likelihood of losing my length (properly relaxed hair) to the breakage battle. Basically, I had to treat my underprocessed hair as if it was still new growth. Some people use heat to match the textures more closely but I wore my hair in a bun and/or used wetset/rollersets.

I'm sorry that your stylist messed up, tryn2growmyhair. In my humble opinion, if you mentioned to her that you had used tea tree oil the night before, that information did not absolve her of her responsibilities. As a professional stylist, she is supposed to possess (in theory) more knowledge than her clients; after learning about the tea tree oil, she had a variety of educated choices she could have made, among them: declining to relax your hair that day and asking you to reschedule -or- relaxing you BUT first re-basing your scalp with a thicker protectant (e.g., vaseline or some other occlusive product) and paying extra attention to insure complete coverage. Can you see about her doing a corrective relaxer?

karezone

Nyambura said:
:yep:I'm sorry that your stylist messed up, tryn2growmyhair. In my humble opinion, if you mentioned to her that you had used tea tree oil the night before, that information did not absolve her of her responsibilities. As a professional stylist, she is supposed to possess (in theory) more knowledge than her clients; after learning about the tea tree oil, she had a variety of educated choices she could have made, among them: declining to relax your hair that day and asking you to reschedule -or- relaxing you BUT first re-basing your scalp with a thicker protectant (e.g., vaseline or some other occlusive product) and paying extra attention to insure complete coverage. Can you see about her doing a corrective relaxer?

That's right see if she will do it for free if you trust her.

A lot of cosmetologist forget all the stuff they learn in school once they get their license.:ohwell:

tryn2growmyhair

Nyambura said:
I'm sorry that your stylist messed up, tryn2growmyhair. In my humble opinion, if you mentioned to her that you had used tea tree oil the night before, that information did not absolve her of her responsibilities. As a professional stylist, she is supposed to possess (in theory) more knowledge than her clients; after learning about the tea tree oil, she had a variety of educated choices she could have made, among them: declining to relax your hair that day and asking you to reschedule -or- relaxing you BUT first re-basing your scalp with a thicker protectant (e.g., vaseline or some other occlusive product) and paying extra attention to insure complete coverage. Can you see about her doing a corrective relaxer?

Thanks very much for these tips. I was thinking the same thing. She should have told me not to get the relaxer or should have known how to deal with it. I told her many times, even when I first met her, that I have sensitive scalp! I am not sure if I would ask her to do a corrective relaxer, but I guess my issue is that I just dont trust her to do my hair anymore. I feel that even if she did it for free she might be resentful and sabotage my hair. Stylists can be like that.

If I trusted her I would ask her to do a corrective but I feel that with chemicals, if someone shows that they are not that great, it's best to stay away from them. I would rather not have her jack up my hair any further.

tryn2growmyhair

karezone said:
That's right see if she will do it for free if you trust her.

A lot of cosmetologist forget all the stuff they learn in school once they get their license.:ohwell:
Could not agree with you more. She is a qoute "celebrity" stylist who was much recommended on this board. Well, I may be a nobody to her but she will not be getting anymore of my cash!

I do not trust her to do my hair anymore. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

tryn2growmyhair

karezone said:
She also did not seem to really be up on a lot of newer techniques and was in the same old mold of, you gotta use heat. It's bad to airdry, blah, blah, blah, as opposed to try to understand why my hair did not grow before and why what I am doing now has helped my hair.

She also said to comb my hair everyday, wash my hair only once a week and to use a brush, and use heat with my rollersets -- against much of what people on this board and a number of healthy hair books have suggested.

tryn2growmyhair

Nyambura said:
:yep: ITA. When my hair has been underprocessed, what saved it was being extra gentle and lots and lots (did I say lots? lol) of moisture - with the two textures of properly-relaxed and under-relaxed on the same strand, I didn't want to increase the likelihood of losing my length (properly relaxed hair) to the breakage battle. Basically, I had to treat my underprocessed hair as if it was still new growth. Some people use heat to match the textures more closely but I wore my hair in a bun and/or used wetset/rollersets.

I will be wearing my hair in a bun and using wetset/rollersets. What moisture products did you use? I think that I will go to the salon in six weeks -- 2-3 weeks more than I normally like to go -- to correct ths :censored: that this :censored: did to my hair.

tryn2growmyhair

karezone said:
Are you sure she used the same relaxer or just a relaxer in a jar that looked like the one that you have been using?

I have heard of stylists doing this to people.

I deep condition with a very moisturizing condtioner. Use some protein if you experience some breakage. Wait 4-8 weeks. Enough time to have some new growth and correct it.

You correct by applying the relaxer to the new growth and to the under processed hair.

For example: If processing time is 14 min, you apply to new growth first and allow to process 7-8 minutes and then smooth relaxer down on underprocessed hair and allow to process for the remainder of the time 7-6 minutes.
What deep moisturizer would you recommend? This stylist REFUSED to give me a straight answer about a good moisturizer to use.

You know, some stylists are so shady, you have no idea what they are using. She also turned me away from the mirror. I will never let this happen again, or try not to. People can be so ****ing slick.

karezone

tryn2growmyhair said:
What deep moisturizer would you recommend? This stylist REFUSED to give me a straight answer about a good moisturizer to use.

You know, some stylists are so shady, you have no idea what they are using. She also turned me away from the mirror. I will never let this happen again, or try not to. People can be so ****ing slick.

I use lekair cholesterol and a of bonnet dryer for deep moisturizing conditioner. There are threads full of advice on conditioners do a search.

They don't want to give you a complete answer because you will start doing it yourself and not come back.

I also refuse to be turned away from the mirror. I know for a fact that they are not taught this in school, this is a habit that they pick up later. They also try to not tell you what they are using on your hair, so that you can't get the same results on your hair.

Nyambura

surfer girl
tryn2growmyhair said:
I will be wearing my hair in a bun and using wetset/rollersets. What moisture products did you use? I think that I will go to the salon in six weeks -- 2-3 weeks more than I normally like to go -- to correct ths :censored: that this :censored: did to my hair.

I added honey to my conditioners (mixed really well), and used distilled water for my final rinse. I also used Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave-in products for moisture, and sealed it with either 100% organic jojoba oil, WGO (wildgrowth hair oil), or castor oil (which is really thick and heavy, and worked better in the dry, frigid winter air and for buns ONLY). I moisturized my hair daily. In addition, at the time, I did daily rinses b/c I feel water is the ultimate moisturizer, but I realize daily rinses aren't for everyone.

Some people have found that their hair really takes well to glycerin. Unfortunately, my hair does not (it eventually turns to straw. everytime.). But that is also an alternative to consider, if your hair loves the stuff! Good luck!:)

ps - ITA w/honoring your gut feeling. If you felt she was shady w/ the relaxer application this time and that she's not trustworthy, you're probably right. I wish there were more honorable stylists.

Nanyanika

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks, Den1. How do you use the Aloe Vera gel. My scalp literally aches.

The same thing happened to me when a stylist had left the relaxer on for one hour.....Part the hair with fingers, careful not to scrape your fingernail across the scalp, because i know it aches terribly. use a generous amount of Aloe vera and gently apply to the entire scalp in the same manner (this is exactly i what i did, but it hurt bit and then soothed the burned skin, monitor those areas over 7 days to see how their healing) HTHs

Nyambura

surfer girl
tryn2growmyhair said:

Not Karezone, but there are a few deep conditioners that I like:

• Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
  • Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment (sometimes I like to mix this with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and KIE [Kenra Intesive Emollient] Treatment together - this gives me protein, moisture and slip in one shot)
  • Aubrey Organics GPB (glycogen protein balance) conditioner (it moisturizes and strengthens ... I don't need to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards)
  • Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe Desert Herb Revitalizing Conditioner (v. pricey)
  • Plus, as stated in an earlier post, I like to add honey -a natural humectant that draws moisture to the hair from the air- to my conditioners - it turns my not-so-good conditioners into good ones and makes my good conditioners better.
  • For the sub-par conditioners, I'll add EVOO with the honey. For my hair, it works like a charm every time.
Good luck!

ps ~ yes, some stylists are so shady about turning you away from the mirror...I also take that as a sign of insecurity...I now politely ask them to turn my chair, please, so I can see what they are doing. :)

tryn2growmyhair

Nyambura said:
I added honey to my conditioners (mixed really well), and used distilled water for my final rinse. I also used Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave-in products for moisture, and sealed it with either 100% organic jojoba oil, WGO (wildgrowth hair oil), or castor oil (which is really thick and heavy, and worked better in the dry, frigid winter air and for buns ONLY). I moisturized my hair daily. In addition, at the time, I did daily rinses b/c I feel water is the ultimate moisturizer, but I realize daily rinses aren't for everyone.

Some people have found that their hair really takes well to glycerin. Unfortunately, my hair does not (it eventually turns to straw. everytime.). But that is also an alternative to consider, if your hair loves the stuff! Good luck!:)

ps - ITA w/honoring your gut feeling. If you felt she was shady w/ the relaxer application this time and that she's not trustworthy, you're probably right. I wish there were more honorable stylists.
Thanks very much for your tip. I will try to use some of the things that you suggested. My hair hates glycerin, too. I will just have to continue to baby my hair. Thanks a lot.

tryn2growmyhair

Nyambura said:
Not Karezone, but there are a few deep conditioners that I like:

• Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
  • Elucence Extended Moisture Repair Treatment (sometimes I like to mix this with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner and KIE [Kenra Intesive Emollient] Treatment together - this gives me protein, moisture and slip in one shot)
  • Aubrey Organics GPB (glycogen protein balance) conditioner (it moisturizes and strengthens ... I don't need to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards)
  • Aubrey Organics Jojoba & Aloe Desert Herb Revitalizing Conditioner (v. pricey)
  • Plus, as stated in an earlier post, I like to add honey -a natural humectant that draws moisture to the hair from the air- to my conditioners - it turns my not-so-good conditioners into good ones and makes my good conditioners better.
  • For the sub-par conditioners, I'll add EVOO with the honey. For my hair, it works like a charm every time.
Good luck!

ps ~ yes, some stylists are so shady about turning you away from the mirror...I also take that as a sign of insecurity...I now politely ask them to turn my chair, please, so I can see what they are doing. :)

Thanks so much for all of these tips. I completely trusted this woman because she is highly recommended, even worshipped on this board for her relaxing skills. I think that it really depends on whether or not you are a friend or a celebrity or someone who isnt more interesting isnt in the salon that day. I will not be going back to her, because I am clearly none of these things to her and I want to keep my hair on my head! :mad: I did notice one cautionary note about her but because I had gone to her before and she was good, I thought I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Never again!

Nyambura

surfer girl
tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks very much for your tip. I will try to use some of the things that you suggested. My hair hates glycerin, too. I will just have to continue to baby my hair. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome, chica. :)

tryn2growmyhair

den1 said:
The same thing happened to me when a stylist had left the relaxer on for one hour.....Part the hair with fingers, careful not to scrape your fingernail across the scalp, because i know it aches terribly. use a generous amount of Aloe vera and gently apply to the entire scalp in the same manner (this is exactly i what i did, but it hurt bit and then soothed the burned skin, monitor those areas over 7 days to see how their healing) HTHs
Thanks. So you put AV gel all over the scalp or just on th affected areas? I have a headache from this :censored: jacked up relaxer application.

Nanyanika

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks. So you put AV gel all over the scalp or just on th affected areas? I have a headache from this :censored: jacked up relaxer application.

I'd put it on all over the scalp...i know how it feels..i will get better. i hope that the relaxer hasn't damaged any of your follicles, i remember this is what i was concerned about when this incident occured at my last touch-up with a so called professional stylist, thank God my receded edges grew back in. I certaineverything will be okay, just monitor those areas and follow the great advice from the ladies here.

tryn2growmyhair

den1 said:
I'd put it on all over the scalp...i know how it feels..i will get better. i hope that the relaxer hasn't damaged any of your follicles, i remember this is what i was concerned about when this incident occured at my last touch-up with a so called professional stylist, thank God my receded edges grew back in. I certaineverything will be okay, just monitor those areas and follow the great advice from the ladies here.
I noticed that my edges are thinner. And that is the problem with burning -- the possibly permanent damage to follicles. When I find a stylist who specializes in sensitive scalps, I will stick with that person. I would self-relax, except that I am worried that I would not do it well.That's why I pay money to these :censored: professionals and yet they do not know what they are doing! Makes me almost want to go natural!

Nanyanika

tryn2growmyhair said:
I noticed that my edges are thinner. And that is the problem with burning -- the possibly permanent damage to follicles. When I find a stylist who specializes in sensitive scalps, I will stick with that person. I would self-relax, except that I am worried that I would not do it well.That's why I pay money to these :censored: professionals and yet they do not know what they are doing! Makes me almost want to go natural!

This is the same reason, i have to go natural because they processed certain parts of my texturized hair straight that's why i'm suffering breakage. I remember i lost hair all around the hairline, edges and nape areas of my head because they left the relaxer on too long and it burnt, i was so upset it looked like someone had taken a razor and jigsawed pieces out of my scalp hair, its all grown in now thank God, i will never let a stylist relax my hair again, i'f i ever go back to texturizing i'll do my hair at home, as i've done it b4 with my sister's help, but the damage was already done. Just baby your hair first and see how it responds. Good luck

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

den1 said:
This is the same reason, i have to go natural because they processed certain parts of my texturized hair straight that's why i'm suffering breakage. I remember i lost all around the hairline, edhes and nape areas of my head because of they left the relaxer on too long and it burnt, i was so upset it looked like someone had taken a razor and jigsawed pieces out of my hair, its all grown in now thank God, i will never let a stylist relax my hair again, i'f i ever go back to texturizing i'll do my hair at home, as i've done it b4 with my sister's help, but the damage was already done. Just baby your hair first and see how it responds. Good luck
Thanks so much. I have to be so careful, because one bad relaxer and months of good work could go away! Thank heavens I did not let her trim it -- who know what she would have done to my hair!

BAILEYSCREAM

tryn2growmyhair said:
I got my hair retouched a while ago and was not impressed with the results. I had based my scalp the night before with a mix of scalp base and tea tree and coconut oil. The next day, I went to a stylist who I thought was good and my scalp burned like the dickens. It didn't help that she was talking to someone else most of the time while doing my hair and had turned me away from the mirror. When I turned to look in the mirror I saw that some of the relaxer had gotten on my scalp! I told her that it was burning and she ran me over to the sink and as she was washing me out, she was like, just to let you know, the relaxer didn't take in the front.

I was like what the :censored: ! Relaxers at this salon cost almost $100, so I was not happy. She said it was either wash it out as soon as it burned and have hair that hadn't been completely retouched or have scalp burns. Well when I looked at my hair when I got home it was BOTH underprocessed and I have scalp burns. She used the same relaxer that has been used on me for years.

I would have made a fuss in the salon but I knew that I mentioned that I had used tea tree oil the night before and this had given her an available excuse and I also knew that the biggest fuss I could ever make was to not go back there again, so that that salon would miss out on the thousands of dollars that I could have spent there in future years as a satisfied client. I'll let my pocketbook do the talking.

In the meantime, how should I deal with this underprocessed hair? Also, how can I help my scalp recover from the burns as well? After reading one of the posts on this board where a woman had no hair and could NEVER grow her hair in the future, I am really sensitive to scalp burns and want to make sure that my hair and scalp recover from this.

TIA.

Tryn2,

When I get scalp burns I usually apply lots of vaseline to my scalp and this helps to loosen the scabs.

As for the under processed hair, it seems you will have to do a corrective relaxer in about 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime you need to deep condition your hair very well, this will also help to remove and loosen the scabs.

Take care.:p

tryn2growmyhair

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Tryn2,

When I get scalp burns I usually apply lots of vaseline to my scalp and this helps to loosen the scabs.

As for the under processed hair, it seems you will have to do a corrective relaxer in about 2-3 weeks.

In the meantime you need to deep condition your hair very well, this will also help to remove and loosen the scabs.

Take care.:p
Thanks for the tip. What conditioner do you recommend?

BAILEYSCREAM

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for the tip. What conditioner do you recommend?

I like
Soft & Beautiful Hair Moisturizing Complex conditioner, Le Kair Cholesterol, Aphoghee 2 minute keratin reconstructor, Nexxus Humectress or any conditioner you have really.

Just try to keep your scalp moist/hydrated and it will heal quickly.

Last edited: