How do you rollerset hair without DENTS?

Try using the silver "duck bill" pins instead of the clasp that come with the rollers. The duck bill pins stick out at the end as opposed to the pins that are flat on the ends. The flat ended pins pull my hair out.

DigitalRain, you slide one pin between the hair and roller, secure the hair on the roller then slide a pin on the other side at the end between the two rollers so that the hair is on the roller securely. I then take the first pin off and put it between the two rollers on the end as well so that the pins are not pulling my hair. This is probably not the best way to describe what I mean and hopefully someone else can explain it better. The object is to have your hair on the roller as securely as possible without having it too tight or having the pins pulling at your hair. It takes some practice and patience to get the routine down.

I wish I knew how to use those dang on pins. I tried reading Nmfsc's description and it just confused me...but thanks.

I use the silver pins also but my problem is keeping them in. If I don't put on a satin scarf right way, zing! zing! They start shooting out like they have a spring or something!

I too use the magnetic rollers and used to get those dents. I roller set yesterday and used hair pins instead (bobby pins). I held the roller tight and pinned it to my scalp, two pins per roller at either end (at the bottom of the roller).

Like Allandra I use those silver / metal clips that go across the rollers. I never get dents when using these. It also eliminates breakage for me as I am not putting pins through the hair.

I hate to bump such an old thread, but I am still need to use the snap on magnetic rollers (training wheels-I know:ohwell: ). I have not graduated to using just the metal clips. What is a safe (least damaging) way to remove the dents?

I just started using the metal clips because I was getting dents in my hair as well. The only way I know of to get rid of the dents is to blow out the roots or flat iron it. I'm trying to get away from that so I bought the pins.

I still use those rollers too. Do you "roll up" instead of rolling down. I don't get dents when I roll this way, and my stylist also rolls this way. I know there's a thread on it too. I start with the roller on top of the ends of my hair and rolling it up towards the scalp, instead of starting with the roller underneath the ends and rolling in the opposite direction.

I'm not really sure which is more damaging, I think it depends on your hair. I prefer the blow dryer because it takes less time. I would have to go over and over and over the dent with a flat iron. with a blowdryer, just a few shots of hot air works for me.

When I roll my hair "up" there is too much flip and it looks frizzy. I look like Kitty from That 70's show. :lol:

Using magnetic rollers with bobby pins really isn't that bad. It's a little intimidating at first but it's the one way to ensure you don't get dents. I use little strips of paper and fold it over the end of my hair. Then I take the magnetic roller and put it at the end of the section of hair. I start to roll it down, I might slide the paper down the end of the strand a little bit to make sure any loose ends aren't sticking out. I continue to roll the section of hair really tight until the roller is resting against the scalp. Then I take one or two bobby pins and secure the roller at the bottom on the scalp. It's not that bad, really. And no dents.

mango387 said:
I hate to bump such an old thread, but I am still need to use the snap on magnetic rollers (training wheels-I know:ohwell: ). I have not graduated to using just the metal clips. What is a safe (least damaging) way to remove the dents?

I blow the roots out with a blowdryer. Roots ONLY. I do this once a week. Havent experienced any negative or ill effects from this. :)

With the mesh rollers, you can use the pins which will go through the rollers and eventually enter another roller or just go (cautiously) along your skin in order to put tension.
With the magnetic rollers, this is not feasible. I tried using the holes to do the same, but it does not work. So I put metal clips in between two rollers. I need very special clips with an end which is wide enough to correspond to the thickness of 2 rollers + some hair in between. This is far from perfect and in practice I rush to put a net to consolidate the whole rollerset. However I did not find any practical alternative when I want to use the huge magnetic rollers (there is unfortunately no mesh rollers with diameter over 2 inches).

Back