• We will be upgrading the forum, gallery and blogs with the latest versions of the software we use. This will cause some disruption. We will however try our best to minimize it. The maintenance will start the first week of May 2022 and will continue until all upgrades are completed (both software and hardware). Thank you for your understanding.

How do you survive???/For relaxed heads

shetara20

How do u survive the hot summer months with a relaxer??? I am 4 weeks post my relaxer and Its gettin hella hot here in roctown and my hair feels ewwww!!!!!:nono: I know i should wash it but it will mess up my regular reggie!!!! WHat I wanna know is how do you relaxed heads keep up your hair and hot weather combined??? Any tips?? Advice????

ShiShiPooPoo

I wash (or cowash) my hair alot in the summer. Most of the time I just pin it up or if I'm going somewhere I'll just use my fake bun piece. I don't stress it one bit. If I'm feeling particulary ShiShi I might rollerset it or use my Caruso's for curl.

Dposh167

luckily for me..i had my touch up 3 weeks ago..so i'm strutting around with my newly fresh relaxed hair and straight edges and I LUUUV IT...lol..(sorry..this is the first summer in a while i have a fresh relaxer..usually i'm stretching the entire summer with nappy edges to match:ohwell:)

but seriously...

-braidouts come in handy these days. The more texture i have to my hair the better. its a great way to beat humidity frizz at its own game:grin:.

-flat twists in the front with the rest hanging out is good too.

- a slicked back phony bun is my usual as well

ladylina

braidouts are really good for the summer
co washing is the best cause i love it :)
wash n go's are really what get me by in the summer.

Simply_Kelz

I got my touchup the first of June so my edges aren't acting too crazy right now.

I'm co-washing it up, this summer. It's too hot for me to be wearing it down all the time so I'll take advantage of that for maximum growth retention.

Geminigirl

yea i def wear my hair up more. I finally understand what white ppl mean when they would say their neck/head/hair was too hot..lol. And lot's of cowashing like everyone else said. If you don't have a fresh relax there's no point in really wearing your hair down cause that humid weather will frizz you up.

MA2010

I have a very "sweaty head/ scalp" so summer is so dreadful to me :perplexed!

I love co-washes during this time:yep:!

I love Bantu Knots :yep:!

I basically co- wash, leave in, moisturize, seal, bun and go!!!! My edges look terrible because they get the first moist sweat but what can I do???

Stretchig is killing me....I want to slap some relaxer just on the edges but I wont :nono:.

SvelteVelvet

co-sign on the co-washes. In the summer I find my self co-washing once a week and leaving the conditioner in and wearing it up for a few days to retain some moisture, then washing it again in a few days with a DC and straightening it to wear it down for a few days. If it's a couple of scorcher days in a row then I'll repeat the process of co-washing and leaving the conditioner in..so on and so forth. I find a good balance this way. And when the NG gets out of control, it's consistent weekly braid-outs (leaving in condish) until I reach the 3 month mark then relax.

bermudabeauty

I live in California and it 100 degrees plus everyday boo. What I do is: I WEAR MY HAIR UP EVERYDAY! I bought a few little pony wraps from Sally Beauty Supply for like $6. It is scrunchie with hair on it. You can visit my fotki to see. All my up dos are those pony wraps. It dosen't damage my hair. I don't even use hair pins.

MizAvalon

I cw every night. It's too humid to be fooling with my hair everyday not to mention I work out 6 days a week so trying to maintain a style would be pointless anyway.

HighlyFavored1

I agree. I feel like it is way too hot to wear my hair down and blown out. I have been cowashing a lot and doing a slicked back bun or a wash-and-go (tutorial in my Fotki).

I also watched Traycees braidout video and have been trying that out lately. I can not do a braidout that looks right worn down so I usually wear it up in some sort of bun...which is even better considering how hot it is.

I have just been avoiding heat styles and pulling my hair up a lot so that it is off my neck and I can stay cool.

SvelteVelvet

I agree. I feel like it is way too hot to wear my hair down and blown out. I have been cowashing a lot and doing a slicked back bun or a wash-and-go (tutorial in my Fotki).

I also watched Traycees braidout video and have been trying that out lately. I can not do a braidout that looks right worn down so I usually wear it up in some sort of bun...which is even better considering how hot it is.

I have just been avoiding heat styles and pulling my hair up a lot so that it is off my neck and I can stay cool.

I find myself doing this alot with the braid-outs too and I get more compliments when I wear it up with chinese sticks or a cute clip, I even like it better myself because it just looks textured and nice. Plus i can hide the ends which don't always come out too hot.

Makenzie

I cw ever night, rollerset and airdry. In the morning I pick the curls apart for a cute curly afro and I'm straight. I'm 13 weeks post. September 1 I will make up my mind on wether I should relax, texlax or transition.

Determined22

I've given up on wearing my hair straight or down this summer. I'm doing a lot of braidouts and also airdrying in buns. I use a lot of cute scarfs and hair accessories to dress it up when I have to.

shermeezy

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."
My staple is the high ponytail in the summers. It's a cute, flirty protective style. I'll post some pics in my siggy later. p.s. I soak my ponytail holder in coconut oil! :grin:

LivingDoll

phony pony/bun. :yep: it's kept me during the blazing summer heat and also kept me from wanting to cut my "in-between" stage hair.

TrendySocialite

I live in California and it 100 degrees plus everyday boo. What I do is: I WEAR MY HAIR UP EVERYDAY! I bought a few little pony wraps from Sally Beauty Supply for like $6. It is scrunchie with hair on it. You can visit my fotki to see. All my up dos are those pony wraps. It dosen't damage my hair. I don't even use hair pins.

I have those too...they are super cool and cute. When I pin my rollerset to the side, they had alot of fullness for me.

ARR

slim_thick

So far, I'm trying to stick with co-washing at least 3 times a week. The last week has been phony ponys, but today I decided to treat myself and curl my hair with the curling iron. I use Chi silk and Infusion spray to help with frizz and Humidity. For the price I paid for my relaxer and cut at the salon :greedy: I should be wearing my hair out everyday.

I going to apply heat to my hair atleast once a week. This is really getting crazy, everyone seems to be afraid of heat including myself. This has got to stop. Ladies we spend all this money on straighting our heads; then never show off how beautiful our locks are.

Someone needs to start a challenge for relaxer ladies who want to show of their relaxers. No offense to my natural sister, If it works, then good for you. However, I'm having a lot of difficulty finds challenges or suggestion for all the sista's with relaxed hair.

Is it just me, come on ladies, I know someone else on this forum has to feel the same way.

Lady Esquire

How do u survive the hot summer months with a relaxer??? I am 4 weeks post my relaxer and Its gettin hella hot here in roctown and my hair feels ewwww!!!!!:nono: I know i should wash it but it will mess up my regular reggie!!!! WHat I wanna know is how do you relaxed heads keep up your hair and hot weather combined??? Any tips?? Advice????

Step up your conditioner game. I can normally go about 7 days average with a fresh rollerset. But in the summertime, 5 days max. Adjust your reggie to fit the summer months, girl.

I am finally wearing my hair out daily, after about 2 years of bunning it up. So now I pay attention to the dryness, and do more steam treatments, and overnight pre-poos. You can still look fly in the summer.

I am six weeks post right now, so my edges are still behaving. And once they start to act up, braidouts will be my next plan of attack.

Last edited:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I'm also 4 weeks post right now and I have a lot of new growth already. I workout about 5 days a week and I cowash 5 days a week too.

I flat iron once a week after my weekly DC. That only lasts like 2 days since I workout a lot. Depending on my work schedule I pull my wet hair in one and tuck the ends under or I rollerset then wrap and wear it down

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Buns and updos are my staples during the summer time. My growth spurts are during the summer so I take advantage by washing and dc twice a week instead of once a week. I did a touch up on Wed and have been wearing my hair down the past couple days but will wash and dc on Sat and back to the updos I go for the 90 degree temps next week.

Aggie

I'm in the WIG challenge so I cornrow my hair underneath and sport me some short wig looks to keep hair off my neck. Remember I live in the Bahamas so it is really hottt down here.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair is too short for that so I just wrap it and gie it a curl with a cool curling iron. I have to wash it every 3 days or it feels nasty.:rolleyes: