How do you Texlax??

Multiple Choices Allowed:How do you texlax?

• Apply CONDITIONER w/ relaxer & leave on just a couple minutes

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • Apply OIL to new growth/then relaxer for just a couple minutes

Votes: 31 14.3%
  • Just leave relaxer on for a couple minutes only

Votes: 67 30.9%
  • I use Phyto Specific to texlax

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • I haven't found texlaxing to be successful for me/Never tried it

Votes: 81 37.3%

• Total voters

Neroli

If a totally 4b person texlaxes, what does the wash n go look like. since we have no curl pattern at all what does it look like. Please let me know and direct me to photos w/ 4b wash no goes. thanks in advance.

I'm 4b and tex-lax and I think the wash and go will be individual, depending on how much the hair is tex-laxed. I don't have photos of my own, but I tex-lax 80-85% and my hair dries in little "ripples" if I just apply creamy leave-ins and let dry loose. I LOVE it. And if I want bone straight, I air dry using the scarf method and my hair comes out smooth, straight and bouncy. I don't use any heat whatsoever.

Isis is 4b and I don't recall what percentage she is tex-lax, but you can check out her photos -- her hair is simply gorgeous!

HoneyDew is 4b and I think she's 50% tex-lax and she has photos showing off HER beautiful hair too.

I think trying to determine how YOUR hair will look by looking at others can help, but to really know, you'll simply have to try it and figure out what percentage to tex-lax for your comfort level. It took me almost a year and 4 touchups to figure out how much to tex-lax for the look that I wanted. About two-thirds of my hair is tex-lax now and only the one-third at the ends are fully relaxed. I'm below BSL and hair is thick and strong. :yep:

BrownSkin2

Neroli, what relaxer and strength do you use? I have a mixture of 4 a/b and thinking of texlaxing...

I'm 4b and tex-lax and I think the wash and go will be individual, depending on how much the hair is tex-laxed. I don't have photos of my own, but I tex-lax 80-85% and my hair dries in little "ripples" if I just apply creamy leave-ins and let dry loose. I LOVE it. And if I want bone straight, I air dry using the scarf method and my hair comes out smooth, straight and bouncy. I don't use any heat whatsoever.

Isis is 4b and I don't recall what percentage she is tex-lax, but you can check out her photos -- her hair is simply gorgeous!

HoneyDew is 4b and I think she's 50% tex-lax and she has photos showing off HER beautiful hair too.

I think trying to determine how YOUR hair will look by looking at others can help, but to really know, you'll simply have to try it and figure out what percentage to tex-lax for your comfort level. It took me almost a year and 4 touchups to figure out how much to tex-lax for the look that I wanted. About two-thirds of my hair is tex-lax now and only the one-third at the ends are fully relaxed. I'm below BSL and hair is thick and strong. :yep:

Neroli

Neroli, what relaxer and strength do you use? I have a mixture of 4 a/b and thinking of texlaxing...

I use Motions Oil Moisturizer Mild with excellent results. In the past, I've used Phyto II and Affirm mild with good results. However, I returned to motions because it gives me same excellent results for much much cheaper. :yep:

A

AmilLion

I guess I've been texlaxing all this time. I was told by a stylist years ago, when you relax, the goal isn't bone staright hair, it's to relax but leave texture to the hair.

I use Mizani Fine/Color Treated formula. I base my scalp with the Elucence Protective Barrier. The protectant is applied to my scalp and hair length. The relaxer is applied to new growth only, and is smooth just a bit with fingers. I sit for a few minutes and then rinsed. The relaxer process takes about 10 minutes. We use the minimal amount of time.

Relaxer is rinsed, 5 n 1 applied, neutralized, moisturizing shampoo, mositurizing conditioner, then set.

Soliel185

I have a question: There was a thread about ladies that used protein to keep their hair from straightening fully - this allowed them to keep the relaxer on for the full time ( which eliminates frizz ) and keep curl definition. If I coat my hair with protein prior to texlaxing - would I still want to use a mild relaxer? I have thick, resistant, 4 a/b hair so I usually use Super no-lye and that still does not fully straighten my hair. I think that with that added protection of protein using a mild relaxer would result in almost NO results....what do you guys think? :rolleyes:

butterfly06

I actually just started using the Just For Me Texture Softener.It works really well for me. Sunflower Oil is incorporated within the process, added to both the hair and cream. And there is no smoothing just comb thru the new growth i leave it on for 8 minutes. I love It!!!! :grin: btw way my hair is 3c.

Amarech

I likey this thread:yep: I'm going back to texlaxing. I think I was "burned" by the texlaxing technique because I was doing it with a no lye relaxer. By the time I switched to lye I was relaxing bone straight.

I have since discovered (among other things) that my hair cannot be relaxed straight. I must go back to texlaxing. I believe it will be fine too because of the lye relaxer. I plan on adding EVOO and SAO to my relaxer. I'm so excited too because I did a search and people were raving about the results.

I plan to touch up next weekend after stretching 4 months......:)

honeybadgirl

I likey this thread:yep: I'm going back to texlaxing. I think I was "burned" by the texlaxing technique because I was doing it with a no lye relaxer. By the time I switched to lye I was relaxing bone straight.

I have since discovered (among other things) that my hair cannot be relaxed straight. I must go back to texlaxing. I believe it will be fine too because of the lye relaxer. I plan on adding EVOO and SAO to my relaxer. I'm so excited too because I did a search and people were raving about the results.

I plan to touch up next weekend after stretching 4 months......:)

i know, i'm so excited now too! i was planning on only letting a stylist touch me up but after calling the number and it being disconnected:look:, i started playing with the notion of just doing it myself! after reading this thread i am really building my confidence to do it!!:grin: i may do it in about 2-3wks

magviv

Today was my second attempt at texlaxing. I took my products and instructions to my stylist and let her do it. (I'm extremely scared to try and relax it myself.) Anyway, the first attempt was done using wonder 8 oil mixed with mizani mild but my hair still came out straight. This time I took grapeseed oil with me and the stylist added 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and some humecto conditioner to a mild affirm relaxer. She applied the relaxer, only left it on for half the usual time and didn't smooth it with a comb.

The ladies on the board made that suggestion when I was disappointed after the first attempt. Today's result was much better! When the relaxer was neutralized and washed out I had little ripples and waves. I'm so excited! I know it'll get better as I continue. BTW, I absolutely love the effect of grapeseed oil on my hair. It feels very moisturized.

sareca

I leave it less time, I add oil and protein to the relaxer, I use mild formulas, and I coat my hair in a light oil before starting.

prospurr4

I use a regular strength lye relaxer, but I coat my previously-relaxed ends with oil, cut the processing time in half (12 minutes total time) and smooth only once.

didirose

Would someone please explain to me the difference between a texlax and normal relaxer?

Texlaxing is a relaxing technique. You take a relaxer and weaken it by applying oil or you leave in a relaxer you normally use to completely straighten your hair for less than the recommended time. The result is hair that is less straight than with normal relaxer use. HTH!

I should add that I've been texlaxing with oil for many years now. My avatar is a pic of texlaxed hair.

AllAboutTheHair

I consider myself texlaxed. I do something different than all of the poll options though. I use Affirm mild relaxer. I do not add anything to it. I apply it to my new growth just like a regular relaxer, with minimal smoothing. My stylist lets it stay on for the normal processing time. The mild formulation isn't strong enough to completely straighten my hair so I still retain a lot of texture to my hair. I consider this texlaxed.

me too with Mizani Butter Blend mild :yep:

PRhair

My hair is really resistant to relaxers, so I use regular strength lye relaxers. I leave it on for about 30 minutes. The only difference is that I don't smooth the new growth except in my really resistant crown area.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

This is the best post on relaxing new growth ever!!! I never would have considered using neut. shampoo to protect the ends during the relaxing process.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

For those who regularly texlax anywhere up to 80% percent, do you find less hair damage? I have been suffering damage for quite awhile now because I wasn't heeding the advice of a stylist who told me I only needed a very mild relaxer. Since my hair is thick and coarse, I thought I needed a stronger relaxer. I've switched from no-lye (which dried my hair horribly) to lye and even those are too strong. Since I've invested so much money and don't want to waste a good professional relaxer, I'll try the oil in it but probably 1/4 cup olive to a cup of relaxer and slather the ends with neut. shampoo as mentioned in this thread. I have Hawaiian Silky, Mizani and Linange in the closet. I have to use them up. I was tempted to buy an ORS but am not sure because it'll probably end up "in the closet." BTw, those curls you see are from a braidout. In the past, my texlax (yes, I overlapped all the time and it took it's toll over the years) was very curly hair and I only needed Infusium or a watery leave-in and go! Now, I'm left with limp hair with a multitude of textures from the relaxers and I just don't want to cut at all. I Aphogee'd this summer and got some strenght but haven't tried it again. I hennae'd just to add more body but it's now turned crazy on my hair (dry and coarse)_and I'm about to Uncolor it with Clairol. I'm a mess and I hope removing the henna will work to bring back some softness. I just now have to start from square one with 12-14 inches of old hair and I truly wish I had my curls back.

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

This is a great thread. I appreciate all of you posting your reggies.

I need advice. I am transitioning to natural - going pretty well. Thank God my hair is getting thicker. Hallelujah! However, when I flat iron (which i am cutting down to a minimum) my hair remains basically straight -everywhere but the nape area.

When i studied that area today, it is really wavy. I think the texture is a little different, coarser, than everywhere else. Okay, I know this. It doesn't grow as quickly as the rest of my hair, either. I perspire and that area immediately shrinks. What is left is thin-looking strands. I'm then ready to throw up my hair in a pony. I keep cutting my hair, but that area is what keeps making my hair look thin. It's a vicious circle.

Okay, my point ~

I'm wondering, if I texlax my nape area (1 1/2 inches), will this be damaging? Will i need to have a special regimen for that section of hair? I was thinking of a kiddie texturizer (just for me) mixed with olive oil...which isn't smoothed in, just left on for like 7 minutes, i was hoping that i'd only need to do this every 4 months...

I really want natural hair, but to really enjoy it, i think texlaxing (texturizing) my nape would be really beneficial to me enjoying the rest of my hair...

I appreciate you guys for your helpful advice in advance.

SmilingElephant

So tell me if i'm doing this texlax thing right.....

On my previous relaxer last month....i used the Soft & Beautiful mild no-lye relaxer. It now comes with oil to mix into the relaxer...i also added about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mixed.....and then i let the mix sit like 10 min in my head....it takes me about 5-8 minutes to finish applying. And then i lightly smoothed it....I am 5 weeks post and i have crazy waves....like 3 inches worth of waves...beautiful waves.....is that texlaxed?

Also...i always put moisturizing conditioner on my ends and the length of my hair i don't need to touch up.

vkb247

Wow! You had 3 inches of growth in 5 weeks?! :eek: I wish!

If you have a good bit of texture after you relax than I say you are texlaxed. Everyone's process and results are different so do whatever works for you.

GirlTalk

I guess i've been texlaxing too before i really knew the term to it. I always use the mildest relaxer i can get and since my scalp is so sensitive, i can't leave it on long enough to get it as straight as it should be. I really loves the wavy, texturized looking roots fresh after a perm. I guess i love the wavy feeling!!
What mild relaxer are you using to texturize your hair?

deusa80

...bump...

This is a really good thread. I'm seriously considering texlaxing...so the more info the better.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
^^^ Me, too!

Bumping...

:bump:

Also, how long in between texlaxers do you wait? 6 weeks? 8 weeks? 10 weeks? 12 weeks? Or when you have a certain number of inches?