How do you Texlax??

Multiple Choices Allowed:How do you texlax?

• Apply CONDITIONER w/ relaxer & leave on just a couple minutes

Votes: 42 19.4%
  • Apply OIL to new growth/then relaxer for just a couple minutes

Votes: 31 14.3%
  • Just leave relaxer on for a couple minutes only

Votes: 67 30.9%
  • I use Phyto Specific to texlax

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • I haven't found texlaxing to be successful for me/Never tried it

Votes: 81 37.3%

• Total voters

sunshyne_krissy

Forgive me I didn't see a thread on this topic after doing a search. For those of ya'll who texlax or telax..whatever you wanna call it...lol. Do you apply conditioner to your new growth and then apply the relaxer for only a short period of time to get that 'telaxed' look? I have had some random responses from different people but I want to get a more collective idea. I want to try it with Phyto 1 after I reach BSL.

Please tell what relaxer product you use to texlax

Last edited:

JLove74

sunshyne_krissy said:
Forgive me I didn't see a thread on this topic after doing a search. For those of ya'll who texlax or telax..whatever you wanna call it...lol. Do you apply conditioner to your new growth and then apply the relaxer for only a short period of time to get that 'telaxed' look? I have had some random responses from different people but I want to get a more collective idea. I want to try it with Phyto 1 after I reach BSL. Please be as specific as possible!!!

I don't use conditioner. I apply relaxer to the new growth, without smoothing, leave in for half the time as recommended.

What specifics are you looking for?

sunshyne_krissy

JLove74 said:
I don't use conditioner. I apply relaxer to the new growth, without smoothing, leave in for half the time as recommended.

What specifics are you looking for?

Thank you for responding jlove. That is specific enough for me girl!:grin:

yodie

My stylist just texlaxed my hair in January. He did not use conditioner and applied the relaxer to my entire head. Didn't smooth, but he did gather it all up in his hands a few times.

Worked great and I love being texlaxed. Haven't gotten a touch up yet.

IntoMyhair

I must have some resistant new growth than i apply the relaxer to the new grow and smooth it and leave it on for a good few minutes even though it looks straight when its all said and done and i've rinsed out the relaxer it still has waves i have one section in the front of my hair that still has waves in it even though i relaxed yesterday

to get my hair straight i would get perm burns lol

sunshyne_krissy

Ok Im posting this from SoHohair she gave me such great advice so I thought I would share her texlaxing process with y'all....

"I am naturally a 4a with some areas having a tighter or looser curl/coil than others. I texlax with Phyto Index I (the milder one) so I don't add anything to my relaxer.

In order to ensure a uniform result, the wash BEFORE I relax I do a ACV rinse to lower my hair' pH and porosity.

When it's time to relax I section my hair is about 6 sections and secure with clips, and determine which order I will relax them in. My crown is the most unruly so I start with that section. I base my scalp with the pre-relaxing balm that comes in the Phyto kit. Then I protect the length of my hair that has already been relaxed (you can skip this part since you will be relaxing virgin hair:)). I mix together porosity control, Chi Silk Infusion (silk amino acids protect the hair from relaxer) and more of the pre-relaxer balm, and apply this mix to the lengths of my hair to protect it. I then mix up my Phyto relaxer and allow it to sit for 5 minutes (it's part of the instructions that come in the kit).

Okay so this is how I actually DO the relaxing process. I set a timer for 19 minutes then begin to relax. Like I said I start with the most difficult section first and work my way through to the softest one. I apply the Phyto with a tint brush as this gives me a great amount of control. I spend about 9-10 minutes applying the relaxer. Then I smooth my hair, starting with the section I relaxed first. I smooth a little with my tint brush, but I then I really use my fingers. If I don't smooth my hair it'll look like I did absolutely nothing to it.:perplexed When I have about 5 minutes left, I apply relaxer to the most delicate part of my hair, my edges. I spend the rest of the time before the timer goes off making sure each section is properly smoothed.

When the timer goes off I run downstairs to the kitchen sink and start rinsing out the first section with warm water. I try to go in order as I rinse, but of course that's super hard and I end up just wanting to get all the relaxer out!! When it's all out I start to neutralize. I lather up well with the neutralizing 'poo and rinse and repeat until the lather is white. After it has turned white I lather up again and leave it in for about 6-7 minutes. I rinse and lather up again leave it in for 1 minute. I then use a super hydrating shampoo (Phytonectar) to restore some moisture to my hair before I reconstruct.

I apply the Milky Reconstructor from the kit and leave it in for about 15-20 minutes with a plastic cap. I rinse it out in the shower, and then put on my trusted moisturizing conditioner (Aveda DR Conditioner) and leave it on for about 10 minutes under a plastic cap while I'm in the shower getting clean. The heat from the shower really helps it penetrate and moisturize and loosen up my hair since the Milky Reconstructor is very effective but has a tendency to make the hair hard. I detangle and rinse and VOILA! wonderfully texlaxed hair!!:D

I hope my explanation wasn't confusing at all, I just tried to be very thorough. Let me know if you have any questions, and HHG!!:p And thank you for the comment on my texlaxed roots!! I felt so silly taking those pics, but I wanted an accurate portrayal of my texlaxing results."

LocksOfLuV

I'm kinda extra, so that's my disclaimer.:lol:

I base my scalp and add tons of oil to it.

I also coat my strands with conditioner and seal it with grease to prevent overlapping.

I also cut my relaxing time down, and now I cut out smoothing with a comb. I just smooth with my fingers now.

PinkPeony

LocksOfLuV said:
I'm kinda extra, so that's my disclaimer.:lol:

I base my scalp and add tons of oil to it.

I also coat my strands with conditioner and seal it with grease to prevent overlapping.

I also cut my relaxing time down, and now I cut out smoothing with a comb. I just smooth with my fingers now.
^^^ what she said just I gave up basing my scalp,also last time I added olive oil and conditioner to my relaxer>>>> overkill,it barely relaxed at all

cneal

by golly, i guess i've been texlaxing my hair all this time and never knew. i never leave the relaxer on my hair the entire amt. of time and i add olive oil to it...

learn something new everyday...

sunshinebeautiful

I consider myself texlaxed. I do something different than all of the poll options though. I use Affirm mild relaxer. I do not add anything to it. I apply it to my new growth just like a regular relaxer, with minimal smoothing. My stylist lets it stay on for the normal processing time. The mild formulation isn't strong enough to completely straighten my hair so I still retain a lot of texture to my hair. I consider this texlaxed.

Amour

How would the results differ if you used a texturiser/ or texlaxed your

hair? I'm considering this.

Also i'm transitioning would I be able to do this to my natural

hair only and leave out my relaxed hair? or will it end up looking crazy

looking? or will it be best waiting until I am 100 % natural???

Amour

was wondering whether texturizers would cause adverse effects when used on top of relaxed hair like a curly perm would???

I am really leaning towards/ considering a texturizer, but want to make a FULLY INFORMED decision. I still want a curl pattern something more akin to natural hair than relaxed, but with more managability (sp?) especially just after washing, as I have a tight 4a/b pattern hair and find it really hard to wash and go, well wash and do anything, after I wash its a downward struggle ALWAYS.

but I'm only like a 11 or so months into my transit and still have relaxed inches left that I don't want to get rid of, but don't want them to effect the health of my hair if the texturizer reacts badly with these.

any suggestions, tips advise appreciated thanx

***sorry to hijack the thread***

seraphinelle

A texturizer is just a weaker relaxer, so you wouldn't want to put that on top of any relaxed ends, because it will be overprocessed.

The best way to go is to cover your relaxed ends with some kind of oil, maybe even vaseline, and then apply the texturizer or relaxer to the new growth ONLY!

Amour

seraphinelle said:
A texturizer is just a weaker relaxer, so you wouldn't want to put that on top of any relaxed ends, because it will be overprocessed.

The best way to go is to cover your relaxed ends with some kind of oil, maybe even vaseline, and then apply the texturizer or relaxer to the new growth ONLY!

thanks for the reply, I wasn't going to apply to the relaxed ends, but if the texturizer accidental got into contact with the relaxed ends I was wondering whether it would cause some serious damage

So a texturizer is just a mild relaxer? so nothing like a curly perm? so why the difference between a texturizer and using a mild relaxer or a relaxer for a shorter period of time.. man I'm confused, hope my post makes sense!?

HoneyDew

I don't really do the smoothing process to get texlaxed hair. I leave it on a little less, but I rarely do any major smoothing.

Last edited:

Amour

i have done some research and it seems that texlaxers are better for 4b hair whilst texturizers for 4a. anyone can vouch for this?

seraphinelle

KissKiss said:
thanks for the reply, I wasn't going to apply to the relaxed ends, but if the texturizer accidental got into contact with the relaxed ends I was wondering whether it would cause some serious damage

So a texturizer is just a mild relaxer? so nothing like a curly perm? so why the difference between a texturizer and using a mild relaxer or a relaxer for a shorter period of time.. man I'm confused, hope my post makes sense!?

I don't think there really is any difference. They're all the same chemicals, just one way works better for different people.

If you're concerned about your application time, then adding oil helps to slow down the process.

If you're worried about burning your scalp, then a mild relaxer on for longer would be better.

Just whatever works for you.

I used ORS no-lye, and frankly, I hate how it's come out. I'm currently stretching for, or at least trying to stretch for, 6 months, so that I have length by time I texlax the next time with lye

prettypuff1

Well today, i just put the relaxer on, then i took it right noff, no smoothing or anything. it stayed on less than 5 minutes and i have lots of curls... me likey

LovelyZ

My hair is extremely resistant to relaxers so while I leave it on pretty long (20 minutes), I use a regular formula which does not straighten my hair. I have used conditioner to protect the already relaxed hair, but its difficult to keep the conditioner from getting on any parts of my roots and interfering with the relaxer so I don't do this very often.

RabiaElaine

I don't do any of the above. Currently I'm using Affirm Mild which will never completely straighten my hair no matter how long it's left on, lol. It takes me about 30 minutes to relax my hair now. I know it's a really long time! I'm getting faster, the first time I relaxed my hair myself it took me 46 minutes!! Anyway no matter how long I leave on the relaxer my hair isn't straight, still has lots of texture to it. I usually use the protecto on my previously relaxed hair to protect it, but I didn't do that when I relaxed yesterday, I forgot about it.

Anyway I follow the Affirm steps, rinsing relaxer thouroughly then using the 5-1 Reconstructor, then the neutralizer, then moisturizing shampoo, then a moisturizing conditioner.

It's been working for me for the last 3 relaxers which is about 9 months now. I've been transitioning to texlaxed for about a year and 2 months now. I have a lot of texlaxed hair now, most of it is texlaxed now.

O yeah and I do smooth the relaxer with my hands.

Last edited:

sunshinebeautiful

RabiaElaine said:
I don't do any of the above. Currently I'm using Affirm Mild which will never completely straighten my hair no matter how long it's left on, lol. It takes me about 30 minutes to relax my hair now. I know it's a really long time! I'm getting faster, the first time I relaxed my hair myself it took me 46 minutes!! Anyway no matter how long I leave on the relaxer my hair isn't straight, still has lots of texture to it. I usually use the protecto on my previously relaxed hair to protect it, but I didn't do that when I relaxed yesterday, I forgot about it.

Anyway I follow the Affirm steps, rinsing relaxer thouroughly then using the 5-1 Reconstructor, then the neutralizer, then moisturizing shampoo, then a moisturizing conditioner.

It's been working for me for the last 3 relaxers which is about 9 months now. I've been transitioning to texlaxed for about a year and 2 months now. I have a lot of texlaxed hair now, most of it is texlaxed now.

O yeah and I do smooth the relaxer with my hands.

This is what I do as well to achieve texlaxed hair.

sunshinebeautiful

prettypuff1 said:
Well today, i just put the relaxer on, then i took it right noff, no smoothing or anything. it stayed on less than 5 minutes and i have lots of curls... me likey

I'm glad you like it. Do you have any pics?

God's Anointed

I guess i've been texlaxing too before i really knew the term to it. I always use the mildest relaxer i can get and since my scalp is so sensitive, i can't leave it on long enough to get it as straight as it should be. I really loves the wavy, texturized looking roots fresh after a perm. I guess i love the wavy feeling!!

Dragnessa

I use regular for the full time...my hair is very resistant to it works for me. Ive only done it twice, but found some great tips in here that will help me for next time... the back of my hair is finer tha the front, and (duh) I started with the back the last two times, so theres less pattern back there.

Next time, I think Ill use oil on the back, cause it really doesnt need too much, and make sure all the ends are oiled up, and Ill start at the front and work my way back. I just relaxed last month, and Im hoping to hold out for 3 months, so Ill try it in a couple of months.

The last 2 times I used dark & lovely...okay choice?

It had been 6 years since I relaxed, so Im still pretty new to all of this...Im glad I didnt decide to go bone straight though. I LOVE being able to do a wash and go...something I never did when I relaxed way back when.

divya

Leave relaxer on for a few minutes only, meaning the time that I apply. Then I wash it right out.

ashiah

I think most self-relaxers tex-lax by default. It seems really hard to get your hair bone straight unless you're using a no-lye relaxer.

Softresses

Hi Everyone,

Here is how I texturize with relaxer (it is saved in my journal).

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers/texturizer for YEARS!

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends and secure. I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,