How does your stylist clip your ends?

simplyhair

My stylist for the past three years moved out of state in July. She helped with my hair growth by dusting my hair (and I could bring my own relaxer to her...just awesome!). She dusted so lightly that I thought she didn't cut anything. Well, now that she is gone, I have found a new stylist.

I took this new stylist thru the ringer and had a 2 hour interview. Meaning, I interviewed her and told her what I expected. She seemed pretty cool with what I wanted. The only thing I am skeptical about with her is that she likes to clip the ends a section at a time.

She starts in the back, sections the hair, pin up the bulk of the hair, clips the section that is hanging, then she lets the bulk of hair down, section again, clip that section, and so on. I am trying to create a mental picture for ya!

I know she is trying to keep it clean and not miss the "inside" hair but I really do not like this method. I think the stylist ends up clipping too much hair...you know, almost like a trim.

I typically like when the stylist just goes around the bottom and pull the middle hair out. This is what my old stylist and previous stylists did. I talked to my old stylist and she confirmed that it's just a method taught in cosmetology schools. She said the method is ok AND it will take off more hair BUT will keep it healthy.

How does your stylist clip your ends?

chocolatetresses

My stylist always clips my hair once its dry and flat iron. After that she sections it going around my head and trims it like that. Hope that makes sense..my hair is always evenly cut by the way..I've never seen her cut it any other way.

Usually I let my stylist just comb my hair down and clip my hair straight across. But with this relaxer, I actually let her go through my hair, lifting it up to clip it. I figured it was time to do so since I hadn't had my ends clipped in a few months. I think when they go through it, actually lifting it up, that it gives you a good trim. I wouldn't recommend that you get it cut like that everytime if you don't like it, but maybe once in while to maybe prevent those hairs that you don't get with just cutting it straight across, from forming splits.

simplyhair

I wouldn't recommend that you get it cut like that everytime if you don't like it, but maybe once in while to maybe prevent those hairs that you don't get with just cutting it straight across, from forming splits.

That's what I was thinking. I get the impression that she wants to clip my ends with this method everytime when I don't think it's necessary. Based on my new growth a few weeks ago, I should have seen WAY more progress.

My old stylist confirmed on the phone that when she is using this method of sectioning the hair, she more than likely is cutting off the length of what I actually grew...if that makes sense. My old stylist would just barely hit the ends BUT it would be obvious that my ends were nice and neat.

Gosh, I miss my old stylist!

Kurlee

where is ur old stylist? She sounds soooooo cool
That's what I was thinking. I get the impression that she wants to clip my ends with this method everytime when I don't think it's necessary. Based on my new growth a few weeks ago, I should have seen WAY more progress.

My old stylist confirmed on the phone that when she is using this method of sectioning the hair, she more than likely is cutting off the length of what I actually grew...if that makes sense. My old stylist would just barely hit the ends BUT it would be obvious that my ends were nice and neat.

Gosh, I miss my old stylist!

gissellr78

I went for a trim this weekend and i was sooooooooooo specific about my 1/2 inch trim she was cutting and i swear i dont think i lost lenght :lachen:

She didnt even charge me for it