How important are hair types?

livesoundtech

When I first joined LHCF, it seemed like it was really important to know your hair type. I assumed I was a type 2 of some sort, because my hair is curly but not tightly curled. There is hardly any info on type 2 hair [that I can find], so I just made the assumption that since I certainly am not a type 1, I must be a type 2. My hair is very damaged from chemically processing it, so my texture has loosened up a bit recently.

Anyway, the only info I can find about type 2 hair is pictures of celebrities with "wavy" hair. This doesn't help at all. I'm starting to wonder (a) what my hair type REALLY is, and (b) how much it matters. I don't care about labeling my hair, but maybe if I can identify what my hair type is, maybe I will be able to connect with others who have a similar hair type so that I can find products/regimens that work better for me.

Thoughts?

Also, I know this is a long shot... but is anyone here type 2c/3a? I haven't seen anyone with this hair type yet. Finally, I would LOVE if someone could point me to some info about type 2 hair.

Last edited:

Qualitee

It matters alot.Its just what works for 3a hair might not work for 4b hair.Those with the same hair type and having problem with growing hair or finding the right products for their hair type can support each other. Also it just nice to know what hair type you are.:)

Last edited:

msa

I have no clue where to get information about hair types because it's all so conflicting any way. You may want to check the "long hair community" forum (I think that's what it's called) or naturallycurly.com. They may have some more info there.

I go back and forth but I don't think hair types matter all that much because everyone's hair is so unique anyway and reacts so differently to the same things. I guess in general terms it's helpful but it's not the most important thing.

IMO, hair types are important, like for me, I'm a 4a/b, so I have many hair idols who have hair down to their waist, and that's my goal, so I can try their regimens and see if what hey use would work for me, and it also shows me what my hair will look relaxed at my waist. And plus I don't know what my natural hair looks like so seeing 4a naturals, lets me know what my hair looks like if I decide to go natural.

bravenewgirl87

Hair types are very unimportant. I can do a white person's 1 to type 2 hair with the same products as a type 3, even a type 4. The application of the product, the condition of the hair, the style and the needs of the hair are more important. If you have extremely damaged hair and you're a type 2, you might require more heavy-duty products and moisturizers than others just to get your hair in decent condition. If your hair is color-treated or if you use a lot of heat, you make require more moisture than the a natural 4a. If you're trying to style your hair in an updo and you're a type-2, you might need the "grit" from a heavy cream or pomade to hold the hair in place.

AtlantaJJ

It matters. My son is half Asian and his hair is a type 2 with a little 3a mixed here and there. He can shampoo his hair and that's it. No conditioner, and his hair never breaks, never splits an end. Shinny as all get out even if he doesn't wash it for 2 weeks. Looks like it grows an inch every two weeks judging by how often I have to take him to get hair cuts.

If I treated my hair the way he treats his, I would be bald. His hair would never need the pampering that my hair needs in order to grow long.

Hair type matters when it comes to the type of care you give it.

Last edited:

kblc06

IMHO, no..but texture does. The type of curl pattern is not conclusive of the type of texture you have (i.e. silky, cottony, thready, etc). I've seen many type 4a's who have much silkier hair than my mostly thready type 3a-3c hair (my mother is one of them). In this regard, our hair behaves much differently and requires different sets of products and different amounts. I often look to people who have a similar hair "profile": varying strand densities (medium, fine, and a few coarse), thready/silky texture with poofy S-waves and curls, etc

livesoundtech

Thanks for the opinions. These are all really great points. I have subscribed at naturallycurly.com as well to see what they have to say... though I'm sure they've got NOTHING on LHCF :)

yuriko

I don't think hair type matters much. It is important when it comes to choices of styling. but for healthy long hair, I don't think hair type is important!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
IMHO, no..but texture does. The type of curl pattern is not conclusive of the type of texture you have (i.e. silky, cottony, thready, etc). I've seen many type 4a's who have much silkier hair than my mostly thready type 3a-3c hair (my mother is one of them). In this regard, our hair behaves much differently and requires different sets of products and different amounts. I often look to people who have a similar hair "profile": varying strand densities (medium, fine, and a few coarse), thready/silky texture with poofy S-waves and curls, etc

ITA:yep: it only matters when trying to acheive a certain "look"

SEMO

Some good hair practices are universal regardless of your hair type. And it's true that LHCF mostly has women with hair types in the range of 3a-4b. But I often take advice from people of different hair types, or even those who are relaxed. That kind of diversity of knowledge is one reason I like LHCF. You can learn a lot from a variety of sources.

Mystic

Good hair practices / techniques can be universal and generic but sometimes when you want to tweak or achieve certain styles, knowing your hair type might be important because it helps to minimise trial and error. For instance, Livesoundtech, your hair is in the 1% type on this board, yet it has improved dramatically since you've been here from advice from people who are not your hair type. Now that you've established generic good hair practices, knowing other people with your hair type would be an additional bonus to helping you get to that next level. However, if this doesn't happen, you would still be able to maintain fabulous hair with the basic hair care techniques you now know.

aurora3140

Hair type is important because the more tightly curled the strand is, the more difficult it is for sebum to travel down the shaft. This results in a tendency for dryness.

A type 3 or 4 probably needs more moisturizing products than a type 1 or 2.

trj1922

Hair type is somewhat important because it can save you trial and error by matching your product selections and practices to those with a similar hair type. It also gives you an idea about what styles are achievable and what it would take to get them. However, hair is so individual, that people with similar hair might find they need different regimens. I view it as a jumping-off point, not the end-all-be-all.

I think the hair type system we use here could be more extensive. Other systems such as LOIS try to account for factors that Andre's system (the 1-4b system) does not like density. I also think texture is just as important as curl pattern because that has a HUGE effect on how products work and how your hair behaves. A silky 4b will probably need less product than my cottony 3c.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I get inspired and take advice from any hair type. Basically, all curly hairs need the same thing - moisture, oil, gentle treatment...

I go to Longhaircommunity too sometimes, there are plenty of 1's and 2's there :) It's a great community, but I love this place much more.

Allandra

Hair types have never been important to me. I pay more attention to people's hair styles and people's hair care.

glamazon386

I think the hair type categories are just nice to have as a reference point. They have been helpful to me as far as techniques and product recommendations as a natural. When I was relaxed it didn't really matter as much. Also, a lot of stuff is just trial and error. Just because somebody else is a 4a doesn't mean my hair will like the same products as theirs and vice versa. Other factors like density, thickness, length, etc. are also a factor.

Galadriel

Here's another great with info on different hair types.
http://naturalblackhaircare.com/hairtypes.php

2c Wavy (Coarse) Hair has thicker waves. Also resistant to styling. Hair tends to be frizzy.

3a Curly (Loose Curls) Thick & full with lots of body. Definite "S" pattern. Hair tends to be frizzy. Can have a combination texture.

3b Curly (Tight Curls) Medium amount of curl. Can have a combination texture.

I always assumed I was a 3b, but according to this I wouldn't fit in 3b because my hair doesn't have tight curls. If I were going by this classification it would put me into 2c/3a :perplexed
This is confusing.

livesoundtech

2c Wavy (Coarse) Hair has thicker waves. Also resistant to styling. Hair tends to be frizzy.

3a Curly (Loose Curls) Thick & full with lots of body. Definite "S" pattern. Hair tends to be frizzy. Can have a combination texture.

3b Curly (Tight Curls) Medium amount of curl. Can have a combination texture.

I always assumed I was a 3b, but according to this I wouldn't fit in 3b because my hair doesn't have tight curls. If I were going by this classification it would put me into 2c/3a :perplexed
This is confusing.

That's why I wondered if this stuff mattered at all... My individual hair strands are all different - some tightly curled in zigzag patterns, some with giant waves, some with s-shaped bends... but all in all, my hair just looks like a mess sometimes... it's hard to get it all to look the same. I always thought the curlier your hair was, the higher the number (2, 3, 4) and that the letters represented thickness.

I'm a 2c/3a (I THINK lol) but I haven't seen anyone else with a similar hair type on the forums yet.