How is everyone measuring their hair growth?

pebbles

Hello ladies,

How does everyone measure their hair growth? Do you look at the growth and take a guess? Or are you using a ruler or tape measure to measure the growth? I am measuring my growth by using a ruler, (the tape measure was too difficult), that I hold up to my scalp. I don't stretch my hair because once I do that, I can't distinguish between the growth and previously relaxed hair. /images/graemlins/confused.gif Because my new growth comes in sort of kinky-wavy, it's hard to get a real idea. Should I just measure my hair length after each relaxer for more accurate results?

A

AmilLion

From a hair strand that falls out, I try to measure the crinkle section. You can feel it, well at least on my hair.

H

HoneyRockette

I used to measure my new growth with a tape measure. After relaxers I measure my entire length from front hairline to ends. To measure new growth, just put your thumb nail on the line that separates your new growth and relaxed hair and gently stretch and measure. I only measure my new growth when I have started some sort of hair growth program or something. Usually I just estimate 1/2" a month regardless.

L.A. Woman

I also go by hair that's shed naturally. I take it and put it across a ruler to measure. This way I can straighten any crinkles to get an accurate read without worrying about damaging it.

pebbles

Normally I would get 1/4" of growth a month, some months it might be a little more. But since I started the vitamin regime a month ago, my hair is coming in much faster. I already need a touch-up and I wasn't planning on one until the 3rd week of December. That's why I'm so hell bent on knowing how much growth I have and how to measure it accurately. Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

This probably isn't scientific at all but I take a picture of the back of my head after every touchup. Otherwise, measuring with rulers and tape measure is too inconsistent for me.

uniquev11

I use the method from the long hair lovers board.
I measure from the hairline at the forehead and back over my head using a flexible tape measure.
The thought behind that is that the front of your hairline remains the same so you get a consistent measurement.

adrienne0914

daviine, this is how i do mine. i always messed up with a tape measure. my hair stayed the same length for months. lol! i used to take pics with every retouch. i'm gonna start doing it monthly now, and gauge where it falls in relation to my bra strap. it's not very scientific, but it's enough for what i'm doing.

adrienne

MSCHICHI

Here is a good link about measuring. It tells you the best way to do it yourself.

http://www.longhair.org/measuring.htm

When people are generally referring to how long a person's hair is in the industry, it is predominately measured as described in that link, and by others on this thread -from the from of the hairline to the bottom.

However, this does not of course, take into account layers, or actually how long your individual hairs are.

You can take the most accurate measurements whenever it is the straightest. For natural hair by blowing it out, flat ironing or pressing, or for relaxed hair after a retouch as stated by other posters.

While my hair measures 17" from hairline to bottom, each hair is about 8 and 1/2 inches, all over my head. So I measure how fast it grows by taking a 2 inch section of hair, and measuring it with a tape measure. I can do this accurately, easily, and quickly. You can easily compare it month to month using this method if you would like.

I save measuring it from hairline to bottom for every 6 months or so, to chart towards my final goal.

sweetcocoa

I do the 'marker' thing...chin length, shoulder length ect. I don't have the time or desire to measure every inch. It reminds me of weighing myself everyday. I like to just set short term goals as I go. My current goal is to get back to the shoulder blades(where I was before all the damage and hair cuts). Then bra strap. That will be my final goal.

SVT

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I do the 'marker' thing...chin length, shoulder length ect. I don't have the time or desire to measure every inch. It reminds me of weighing myself everyday. I like to just set short term goals as I go.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto

Ebony

i measure every 4 months which is when i usually relax 3x a year, (except the 3-4 mths a year when i sport a weave). i make sure it's blown straight. i part it down the middle and measure both sides and the back. one side of my hair grows faster than the other. i acutally have my boyfriend or sister measure cuz i can't see it accurately, and i do write it down.

Lita

I use a tape measure and a old shirt and mark it each time. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
lita, that's an excellent idea. If I ever get my hair to hit my collar, I'll use it too /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I already know that my hair grows half an inch each month. I don't use a measurement device, just do a little math in my head.

LondonDiva

Yep Lita I have to agree that some idea.

I don't use a tape measure I find it not at all accurate. I have marker points on my body and I'm a good judge of character when it comes to estimating inches. I personally get about 1/2 per month.

Valerie

When I first started taking Hair Formula 37, I measured my hair with a tape measure just to make sure that I would be getting the growth I was supposed to get. I don't measure anymore. I use markers. In July 2002, my hair reached (stretched) t0 the middle of my earlopes, in October, my hair stretched reaches to my chin. So I am using body markers and take pictures to compare my hair growth per month.

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I would do that too Valerie, but my coils are different lengths. I pull one out and am very surprised how long it is (unstretched, just "stuck in there"), while another is about the length of my thumb.

Lita

Honeyvibe,Sweetcocoa &amp; LondonDiva. Keep me posted when you start to mark. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lucia

I measure every 2-3 months with a tape measure if I straighten my hair and don't laugh I wear the same bra every time I measure So it's more consistent.