How Long Are Your Wash Days?

ckisland

How long are your wash days?
How often do you wash your hair?
What's the longest step?
What's your hair length goal?
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future?
What's your hair type?
How long is your hair?
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey?

ckisland

I just finished my own wash day, and this thread idea popped into my head!

2.5hrs from start to finish
Once a week
What's the longest step?
Deep conditioning! It takes 1 hr.
An APL wash n'go/ butt length stretched :supergrin:
Nope! I plan on wash n'going all the way to long lengths!
What's your hair type?
3c crown/ 4b around my ears/ 4a in the back, medium-high density and low porosity
How long is your hair?
Collar-bone length
I went natural Nov 2007 (so 13 years!). My last BC was April 2020

faithVA

30 to 45 minutes

1x to 2x a week

What's the longest step?
Applying my styler; Smoothing my roots and sealing my ends

I'm afraid to have a hair length goal.

Not right now. My hair is short so going to stick to wash and goes. But if it gets long enough I may do twist to get a break.

What's your hair type?
4b

How long is your hair?
EL

Forever. Since 2008 or 2009 I think

awhyley

What's the longest step?
What's your hair type?
How long is your hair?

How long are your wash days? About an hour.
How often do you wash your hair? Between 7-10 days, anything longer than that, my hair/scalp starts to itch.
What's the longest step? Conditioning/detangling
What's your hair length goal? Healthy hair/bra-strap length
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? As my hair grows, I may stop using Tangle teaser and move to Denman brush
What's your hair type? 4b/c
How long is your hair? TWA
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? BC'd Nov. 25, 2020

Neomorph

How long are your wash days? 1.5 to 2 hours
How often do you wash your hair? once a week
What's the longest step? Deep Conditioning and detangling both take about 25 minutes
What's your hair length goal? Healthy Bra Strap Length
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? I want to try deep conditioning less often, every other week to hopefully once a month
What's your hair type? 4a/4b, high density, low to mid porosity
How long is your hair? uneven, layered APL
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? Big Chopped August 8th, 2012

oneastrocurlie

1hr to 1hr and 30
How often do you wash your hair
Every 5-6 days
What's the longest step?
Deep conditioning. If I don't DC, styling my wash and go.
Chin length curly
Applying conditioner to very wet hair.
What's your hair type
4abcdefg lol
How long is your hair
Curly, barely covers my ears. Stretched, to my collar bone.
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey ??
I finally started being consistent with a routine about 3 years ago. Been natural a lot longer.

kimpaur

About 3–4 hours

Once a week

What's the longest step?
Sitting under the dryer(1.5-2 hours)

Straight-full bra strap length
Curly- a tad past my shoulders dried (WashNGo)

Thinking about getting a curly cut
Would LOVE color but I’m not ready yet
Also want to try diffusing versus a hooded dryer
Want to start seeing a curly stylist too

What's your hair type?
4a

How long is your hair?
Probably 3 inches from armpit length

Just started :look:
The goal was just to embrace my hair texture- I began wearing twists and braid styles ,then graduated to my hair with kinky curly clips. That was last April. My hair has retained length but wasn’t exactly healthy.

3 weeks ago I learned that I can do a bomb wash and go- this has changed the game for me! Before it was just about retaining length but now I care about healthy hair I more than anything

HealthyHair2020

2.5-4 hrs depending on styling

Every 1 week or sometimes 2 weeks

What's the longest step?
Deep conditioning. It takes about an hour for me.
Shampooing and applying the DC also takes about 50 mins since I do everything in sections.

Waist length

Not really. Just trying to get through my stash, find my staples, and just be consistent with taking care of my hair.

What's your hair type?
4c with 4b in the front middle and back middle of my head

How long is your hair?
Currently APL on the longest layers, about SL on the shortest

It's been about 2.5 years since I big chopped

GettingKinky

40-60 minutes
1-2x a week
What's the longest step?
Condition/detangling is maybe 15 minutes
SL wash n go
Maybe highlights
What's your hair type?
Medium strand diameter, medium high density, small diameter curls
How long is your hair?
Stretched ~BSL curly ~ between ear and chin
Since 2012, but I didn’t cut off the last of my relaxed hair until 2017.

Last edited:

toaster

How long are your wash days? About 2 hours.
How often do you wash your hair? Twice a week
What's the longest step? Sitting under the dryer for 45 minutes to an hour
What's your hair length goal? Hmm. Classic? Arm pit length while curly
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? Nope!
What's your hair type? 3c/4a
How long is your hair? Lots of layers. Between APL and waist length stretched. Neck length curly.
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? Since 2008!

JudithO

What's the longest step?
What's your hair type?
How long is your hair?
Takes at least 4-5 hours to get my hair done.

Usually wash 2x a month, but stretching until 1x a month. My hair really prefers to be left alone.

The actual Prepping/wash/dc takes 1.5 hrs max. I wear my hair almost always in 2 strand twists so the retwisting takes all the time

Hair goal - For now, a thick WL.

No changes planned.

Fine 4c hair, medium density. Currently MBL stretched... TWA shrunken

Been on a hair journey since 2008... Natural 2x, relaxed, Loc’d, and grown to WL in all those different states (except locs)

BonBon

How long are your wash days? Prob 1 hour most times. Really happy I've been able to cut this down as it used to take hours.
How often do you wash your hair? In good times once every 2 weeks. When life gets busy once a month
What's the longest step? Braiding/stretching after washing
What's your hair length goal? I dont have one, but I just want enough length to be able to do various styles. Around SL in a braidout would be nice.
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? Maybe adding protien treatments
What's your hair type? 4a/b
How long is your hair? Chin
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? I haven't been on a journey as such for maybe 5 years. Went bald a few years ago from stress. Started nursing it back last year and now I have hair again. I'll take whatever I'm given.

Lylddlebit

About 3 hours on average I can go up to 4 or down to 2
Once a week to once a month
What's the longest step?
Definitely styling. My hair looks professionally done when I am finished.
It was MBL I am butt length now. I am not really growing it out anymore. I just like enjoying it and having the extra length as a cushion
I need to practice my sets more but I want to keep my standard regimen outside of that.
What's your hair type?
4B
How long is your hair?
I could probably claim tailbone or butt length depending on the chart. It is between hip and classic when I just let it fall without pulling it to be precise and actually check.
I said I wanted long hair back in 2006(but keep doing all the same stuff I had been doing that had me comfortable at APL). I got serious about tailoring my regimen in 2008 and in 2009 I started achieving hair goals. I have been fully natural since 2004 when I got my hair styled at the salons and my permed ends cut off. I stopped getting relaxers in 2002 when my mother gave me full authority of what I wanted to do with my own hair(I hated getting perms they burned and I just put braids in less than a week from getting a relaxer lol) . I think "I am not my hair" came right on time. I never wore my relaxed hair styled like that anyway. I was a braids girl before I went natural. I stretched for months at a time before I knew what stretching was and I made the decision to stop perming in high school once I found (Dry/California presses which are now called silk presses).

Last edited:

awhyley

How long are your wash days? 1.5 to 2 hours
How often do you wash your hair? once a week
What's the longest step? Deep Conditioning and detangling both take about 25 minutes
What's your hair length goal? Healthy Bra Strap Length
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? I want to try deep conditioning less often, every other week to hopefully once a month
What's your hair type?
4a/4b, high density, low to mid porosity
How long is your hair? uneven, layered APL
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? Big Chopped August 8th, 2012

Why are you trying to deep condition less? :confused:

Neomorph

Why are you trying to deep condition less? :confused:

I definitely think that deep conditioning is an important step but one that my hair may not need as frequently as once a week. There have been times throughout my hair journey where I didn't even have a deep conditioner to use every week and my hair was okay as long I got a DC in at least a couple of times a month. I also want to cut down on my wash day time so moving to every other week would give me flexibility especially during hectic weeks studying or working. Because I don't color my hair and use heat very sparingly I think my hair is resilient enough to try every other week.

faithVA

I definitely think that deep conditioning is an important step but one that my hair may not need as frequently as once a week. There have been times throughout my hair journey where I didn't even have a deep conditioner to use every week and my hair was okay as long I got a DC in at least a couple of times a month. I also want to cut down on my wash day time so moving to every other week would give me flexibility especially during hectic weeks studying or working. Because I don't color my hair and use heat very sparingly I think my hair is resilient enough to try every other week.

I used to deep condition weekly and did so for years. Last year, I started using rinse out conditioners each wash and deep conditioning before I color and my hair has actually turned out better. My hair is actually more moisturized now. I think my hair isn't really that fond of the thicker conditioners even with heat. I use deep conditioning more for quarterly maintenance versus as part of a regular wash day.

Hopefully your hair will maintain health with less frequent DCs.

Mapleoats

prepoo- 30-45 mins the day before
Shampoo - 10 mins
Apply deep conditioner in sections - 20 mins
DC under dryer - 30 mins
Back in the shower to Rinse - 5 - 10 mins
Style 45 mins - 1h. 2h if rollersetting
Total: usually 2-3 hours. 4 if I’m rollersetting

How often do you wash your hair? once a week (usually) up to once a month
What's the longest step? Styling. Usually takes me 45 mins to 1 hr
What's your hair length goal? Classic
Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? Not really no
What's your hair type? 3c/4a/4b, med density, thick strands
How long is your hair? BSB
How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? Since 2019, but I’ve been natural since 2011

Last edited:

Lita

My wash days-
Pre poo 1hr or overnight
Dc 30 min with heat 1hr without
3-4hrs & if I use henna it’s 6hrs

I try to wash my hair every 7 days,but if I flat ion I will wait two-three weeks

Changes I “might” make in the future,I will like to try some nice renaissance hairstyles

My hair length goal past classic,nice & healthy

My hair type-
3b,3c combo with a tiny bit of 4a
Fine-medium density

My current length is waist

I have been on my healthy hair length journey since 2001..I had a couple of set backs due to health reasons/had to big chop 3xs as well,now I’m back on track.

Happy Hair Growing!

Lylddlebit

@Lylddlebit what is your regimen these days? Do you still press monthly?

I wore my hair pressed monthly from around May or June through the end of the year. I did straighten it once monthly until the end of last month. Last month I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do to my hair so I threw on a wig with weekly washes.

My straight regimen is
  • Clarify my hair(Rusk clarifying & detoxifying rosemary shampoo)
  • Sometimes I follow up with a second shampoo but I can skip that step without negative impact.
  • Deep condition: Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy is my all time favorite product line but they discontinued the original formula. I just have several jars stocked up still. I used nature's gate deep conditioner mask my last wash and liked it. I alternate between new deep conditioner and my adored Ultimate Remedy line so I can try to find a new staple replacement. I have found good deep conditioners I just haven't found anythhing that can parallel to my Ultimate Remedy yet.
  • When I apply my deep conditioner, I twirl my hair into 4 bantu knots(hair parted ear to ear and nap to forehead). I keep whatever deep conditioner I am using in my head for one hair steamer cycle.
  • When my steam finishes I put on a shower cap and let my hair cool
  • Rinse out deep conditioner
  • Detangle damp hair with a seamless comb or detangle brush right before I blow dry(so it's detangle section, dry it then detangle next section and blow dry section-by-section until done)
  • If I blow dry the traditional way, I apply heat protectant to damp hair then proceed
  • If I Revair, I Revair damp hair without product then after that and apply product protectant to dried and stretched hair
  • I do not use traditional moisturizers on straighten days. I use a good deep conditioner for moisture and some of my heat protectants double as moisturizers instead.
  • Right now my leave-in combination of choice is Aveda Brilliant Damage Control topped with Chi Silk Infusion.
  • Flat iron hair straight one pass.
  • Sometimes I California press my roots with the hot comb and flat iron my length but I don't have to do it that way. The flat iron will do the job, I am just old school and like to stay sharp with my hot comb/marcels.
  • If I want want a hair style that is not straight I will do another pass on my hair with a waver, crimper or curling tool of choice on a lower temp.
  • I pineapple my hair nightly for curls/waves/crimps
  • wrap nightly for straight.
  • My hair withstands southern humidity, fog and light drizzle without reversion until wash day. It withstands working out too as I don't really sweat in my scalp.
  • I wash my hair every 3-5 weeks and restyle when my hair is straight. Most of the time it is once a month but I let my hair let me know when it's time for a wash day. When starting to feel dry, I have new growth that can be pinched between my thumb and pointer finger, or noticeable shedding(not because my hair is breaking or anything but because hair with natural oil from worn hair hair doesn't slip out unnoticeable like fresh done hair, it is released with the bulb when raked through), it's time to wash.

My natural regimen is
  • Part hair in 4 bantu knots
  • Wash each section(I only wash once a month unless I notice weird buildup then I will wash more frequently. I co wash weekly though with shampoo or a deep conditioner)
  • Apply Conditioner to damp hair(I usually use regular conditioner on natural hair weekly but if I am natural back to back I will throw in a deep conditioner once a month)
  • Steam
  • Rinse out conditioner
  • Apply activator on damp hair + layer that with safflower oil, grapeseed oil or shea butter(whichever one I see first)
  • Twist and air dry

I trim my hair once a season on straight hair only. If my hair is natural on a day I would normally trim(usually the first week of the season) I just skip the trim until the next season.

I tend to use salon grade (Shu Uemura/Dudleys, Tigi, Alterna etc) or at least Sally's(Silk elements/Ion) grade products on straightening wash days. I tend to use natural heavier products(Oyin handmade, Jane carter solutions, butters, oils) on natural wash days. However I am not stringent about that. If a natural product works well on a press or a salon product is a good moisturizer I will use it as it works.

Since I alternate staples with using up my stash if I run into a wash session where my hair is not supple and soft and smooth on a day I prepared to straighten I will just wear my hair natural or stretched until the next wash day. I don't force a press if my hair feels "off".

If my hair starts shedding from something like post partum or getting off birth control I use alter ego cren drops 1-2 times a week.

Sometimes I wash my hair, braid it up and put on a wig. I will usually keep my conditioner in my hair all week without issues when I do that. However I still wash my hair once a week under my wig when I do that and let my hair air dry gradually.

Right now, this is the second week that my hair has been braided in the front with the back Revved. I planned on some butter fly loc crochets. They looked good when I installed them but I took them down the same day because I didn't like the synthetic hair once installed. It had some signs it could matt to my real hair and I didn't want to risk it. So I took down some of the braids and just wore the front like a style from my teenage years.

If I left something out you were looking for but I mentioned in a different thread, let me know. I will elaborate.

Last edited:

icsonia22

I just had a baby so i had to spread my wash day out through the week during my pregnancy in order to not get overtired (i have 2 toddlers also). One day would be prepoo and detangle, next would be shampoo and deep condition and last day would be blow dry and style

depends on how much product i get on my scalp. during warmer weather, every 4-6 weeks. during colder weather, 6-9 weeks. I want to stretch it to 12 weeks and long term protective style with my own hair during that time. it makes my life easier.

What's the longest step?
detangling

I've always said waist length but hip length is starting to look very appealing

try stretching wash days but if my scalp isn't fond of it, i just plan on sticking to what I'm doing now

What's your hair type?
mostly 4b with 4a in the front and type 3 in the nape

How long is your hair?
undercut in the back is between APL and BSL. The rest is between BSL and MBL

How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? I started back in 2011 and didn't get the hang of things until 2018

Mapleoats

I wore my hair pressed monthly from around May or June through the end of the year. I did straighten it once monthly for around the past 7 months
Until the end of the month. Last month I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do to my hair so I threw on a wig with weekly washes.

My straight regimen is
  • Clarify my hair(Rusk clarifying & detoxifying rosemary shampoo)
  • Sometimes I follow up with a second shampoo but I can skip that step without negative impact.
  • Deep condition Shu Uemura Ultimate Remedy is my all time favorite product but discontinued the original formula. I just have several jars stocked up still. I used nature's gate deep conditioner mask my last wash month and liked it. I alternate between new deep conditioner and my adored Ultimate Remedy so I can try to find a new staple replacement. I have found good I just haven't found anyting that can parallel to my Ultimate Remedy yet.
  • When I apply my deep conditioner, I twirl my hair into 4 bantu knots(hair parted ear to ear and nap to forehead). I keep whatever deep conditioner I am using in my head for one hair steamer cycle.
  • When my steam finishes I put on a shower cap and let my hair cool
  • Rinse out deep conditioner
  • Detangle damp hair with a seamless comb or detangle brush right before I blow dry(so it's detangle section dry it then detangle next section and blow dry section-by-section until done)
  • If I blow dry the traditional way, I apply heat protectant to damp hair then proceed
  • If I Revair, I Reviar damp hair without product then after that and apply product protectant to dried and stretched hair
  • I do not use moisturizers on straighten days. I use a good deep conditioner for moisture instead.
  • Right now my leave-in combination of choice is Aveda Brilliant topped with Chi Silk Infusion.
  • Flat iron hair straight one pass.
  • Sometimes I California press my roots with the hot comb and flat iron my length but I don't have to do it that way. The flat iron will do the job, I am just old school and like to stay sharp with my hot comb/marcels.
  • If I want want a hair style that is not straight I will do another pass on my hair with a waver, crimper or curling tool of choice on a lower temp.
  • I pineapple my hair nightly for curls
  • wrap nightly for straight.
  • My hair withstands southern humidity, fog and light drizzle without reversion until wash day. I withstands working out too as I don't really sweat in my scalp.
  • I wash my hair 3-5 weeks and restyle when my hair is straight. Most of the time it is once a month but I let my hair let me know when it's time for a wash day. When starting to feel dry, I have new growth that can be pinched between my thumb and pointer finger, or noticeable shedding(not because my hair is breaking or anything but because hair with natural oil from worn hair hair doesn't sleep out unnoticeable like fresh done hair, it it released with the bulb when raked through), it's time to wash.

My natural regimen is
  • Part hair in 4 bantu knots
  • Wash each section(I only wash once a month unless I notice weird buildup then I will wash more frequently)
  • Apply Conditioner(I usually use regular condition on natural hair but if I am natural back to back I will throw in a deep conditioner once a month)
  • Steam
  • Rinse out conditioner
  • Apply activator on damp hair + layer that with safflower oil, grapeseed oil or shea butter(whichever one I see first)
  • Twist and air dry

I trim my hair once a season on straight hair only. If my hair is natural on a day I would normally trim(usually the first week of the season) I just skip the trim until the next season.

I tend to use salon grade (Shu Uemura/Dudleys, Tigi, Alterna etc) or at least Sally's(Silk elements/Ion) grade products on straightening wash days. I tend to use natural heavier products(Oyin handmade, Jane carter solutions, butters, oils) on natural wash days. However I am not stringent about that. If a natural product works well on a press or a salon product is a good moisturizer I will use it as it works.

Since I alternate staples with using up my stash if I run into a wash session where my hair is not supple and soft and smooth on a day I prepared to straighten I will just wear my hair natural or stretched until the next wash day. I don't force a press of my hair feels "off".

If my hair starts shedding from something like post partum or getting off birth control I use alter ego cren drops 1-2 times a week.

Sometimes I wash my hair braid it up and put on a wig. I will usually keep my conditioner in my hair all week without issues when I do that. However I still wash my hair once a week under my wig when I do that and let my hair air dry gradually.

Right now, this is the second week that my hair has been braided in the front with the back Revaired. I planned on some butter fly loc crochets. They looked good when I installed them but I took them down the same day because I didn't like the synthetic hair once installed. It had some signs it could mat to my real hair and I didn't want to risk it. so I took down some of the braids and just wore the front like a style from my teenage years.

If I left something out you were looking for but I mentioned in a different thread, let me know. I will elaborate.
Thank you! So detailed. I love how well you can read your hair and know exactly what it needs

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Depends but I usually try to keep it under 2 hours

2x per week, unless it's straight, then once a week

What's the longest step?
Deep conditioning

Hip length stretched

Adding a scalp oil and prepoo

What's your hair type?
Type 4

How long is your hair?
Approaching shoulder length

Forever

GGsKin

Usually long but I can get it done in 2.5 hrs.

Once a week these days. If straightened, about 3 weeks.

What's the longest step?
I don't usually time myself but today I did. It's between my DC if I'm taking my time, or styling. I mainly wear my hair in a wash n go and today styling took 1.5 hrs.

Waist Length.

Not really but I'll see how it goes.

What's your hair type?
Fine strands, tight coils and waves, medium density, low- normal porosity, cottony 4b/c

How long is your hair?
Layered- shortest approx. SL. Longest, past APL.

I started after a major setback in 2012.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
How long are your wash days? 2-3 hours on non-henna days; henna day: 6-8 hours

How often do you wash your hair? 2 days a week, unless exercising

What's the longest step? Deep conditioning

What's your hair length goal? Volume over length

Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? Yes, just changed my plan to add more wash days

What's your hair type? Fine 3C

How long is your hair? Apl

How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? 15+ years

PureSilver

How long are your wash days? That depends on what I’m doing and how much time I have but usually between min 2hrs maximum 2 days.

How often do you wash your hair? 2weeks to Max 1 month.

What's the longest step? Deep conditioning always.

What's your hair length goal? Waist Length I have wayyyyyssss to go.

Do you plan on making any changes in the near future? A good trim/cut and maybe some color.

What's your hair type? 4a/4b/4c

How long is your hair? I haven’t done an official length check for a long time but I would say stretched I’m pretty close to a full apl.

How long have you been on your healthy hair journey? Years.

nyeredzi

Can vary by a lot. At this time in my life, I'm dividing work across multiple days, with most of the detangling not on days I wash. So on the day I wash, between 1-2 hours. Time spent styling and detangling in between washes is about another 2 hours.

Once every 7-10 days.

What's the longest step?

On wash days, longest step is whatever amount of detangling I do that day. Sometimes that's very minimal and just untwisting and retwisting the last few inches of my twists to at least keep that part of matting after washing.

Not sure, hip? TBL? Long enough to do a lazy wrap bun on my twists and have the resulting bun be flat instead of poking out. I need the front part of my head to be a few inches longer.

I change routines every so often depending on how much time I have in my life and how I feel like wearing my hair. I've been wearing 25-30 twists for several months now and retwisting a few a day, which is great for maintenance. But I have to do a dandruff treatment that's going to require me to wash my hair 4 times in the next 2 weeks, so smaller twists aren't going to work because of matting. I'm going to switch to large twists and chunky twist outs for the next couple of months, I think. No major changes in products.

What's your hair type?

4c, natural.

How long is your hair?

Waist length

Maybe 15-20 years?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
90 minutes
every 4-7 days (once or twice a week
What's the longest step?
Drying
Short Term goal: SL curly. Ultimate goal: BSL curly.
No.
What's your hair type?
3c/4a
How long is your hair?
After my recent cut, Neck length curly/APL stretched
forever, lol! I've had a few successful journeys since I joined LHCF, but I just started my WnG this month.