how long did it take to grow your waistlength hair?

how long did it take to grow your waist length hair and beyond?

• 1 to 3 years

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • 3 to 5 years

Votes: 32 47.8%

• Total voters

chebaby

i only want mbl. im apl right now. i just started taing care of my hair. i moisturize twice daily, wash and deep con every sunday and co wash every thursday. but i dont protective style.
how long do you all think it should take me and any advice would be good too.
all of your hair are so beautiful amazing and inspiring.

bunny101

For the most part nutrition!! I drink a protein shake first thing in the morning. I workout 5 days a week. I use really good supplements. I hardly ever eat fried foods, maybe twice a year. Low carbs. complex not simple:yep:. I drink alot of water. Now of course I do have my downfalls BEER!!! :lachen:but not alot.I eat clean about 95% of the time 9 (the eat clean diet is a great book I just bought) . Once I took the focus off my hair and started working on me with good nutrition everything just fell into place. I really don't do too much worrying about my hair, less is best. I used Surge 14 once then they stop making it. But I recently order the last one from Coffee so maybe I will use it some time in the future. I eat very blend things and really like them now:yep:. Not raw but less ingredients, I will eat turkey, chix, and fish and sometimes beef just not as much, my taste for it just isn't really there anymore.

it's funny because my Mom said you waited til you're almost 40 to start growing hair. I tell her I just learned what my body likes and dislikes, which is good nutrition:grin: and it has made a difference in everything!!!!
http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

Just don't forget to take GOOD supplements. I believe you get what you pay for:yep:

Poli,

What good supplements do you take and where do you get them? Thanks

memee1978

i agree,eating healthy is a big factor too.what amazes me is that,i dont know of anyone in my family,1st2nd3rd cousions that had waistlength hair or longer.:wallbash:

DivaD04

see now sweetcashew isn't leaving her mark in her i guess i'll have to pm her...lol but ya'll that's amazing growth....:rolleyes: for those who couldn't bun what did ya'll do until then? I want to know. did you not comb just use your fingers, massages, rollersets, braids--no braids, did you steam everynight. what did you do to your short hair until you can actually do buns, big braids, twists, and twist n braid outs....ect.
i really want the hair fairy to come and grant my long hair wish!

sweetcashew

ladies all i can say is....:worship2::gorgeous:

All of you are inspiring!

sweetcashew what did you do to get wsl? i' mean did you make changes as well to get you length? please do tell!!!!
I mean help a one incher out over here:hair: :arrowleft:my hair + :kiss3: :arrowleft:ur hair = now cough up you reggie stat:grin:

I had the Halle Berry cut the I rocked for almost 2 years. I woke up one morning and just wanted my long hair back.
So I grew it out to about 3 inches and put a full head weave in. My hair grew so fast under the weave it was ridiculous. I didn't trim it for the first 6 months. I took the weave out once a month and put in a fresh set but I washed and deep conditioned my hair every two weeks with the weave in.

I just made sure that my hair under the weave was always moisturized. Honestly I can't remember what I used. I know it wasn't anything special just some drug store moisturizer but I do remember using Isoplus Hair Dr. in a can.( any body remember this stuff? :yep:)

I took the weave out after wearing it for just over a year. My hair was almost bra-strap. Then I colored it with Feria and it broke and fell out like crazy. Had to cut it. Then I red that Aaliyah used Joico K pak reconstructor in her hair so i started using that once every two weeks followed with a moisturizing conditioner. ORS hair mayo mixed with oils, honey and lots of stuff from the kitchen would be my deep conditioner once a week. I did rollersets only, flat ironed my roots and I'd spray it with Isoplus and wrap. That's all I did.

I didn't even know LHCF existed at the time but I had already figured out the protein/ moisture balance, low heat and low manipulation thing on my own. I trimmed though. I may never know but I think that trimming my hair every 8 weeks keeps splits away. I never ever find split ends in my hair.

So anyway, after finding the forum I realized that wearing the weave got me past shoulders without trouble. Maybe if I hadn't worn the weave for that first year it would have taken me longer. When I found the forum I was shocked that there were other black women out there who had figured out hair care like I had. I was only doing what I thought worked for me though.

DivaD04

:flowers:thank you sweetcashew :flowers: i think i am ready to set my reggie with my protective styles for the year. SC, thanks for the response, my hair also loves braids and weaves so I am going to incorporate some of your techniques with my challenges. i have never attempted to grow my hair out until this year. even if I reach sl or apl i will be that much closer to my goal. wish me luck!:grin:

I had the Halle Berry cut the I rocked for almost 2 years. I woke up one morning and just wanted my long hair back.
So I grew it out to about 3 inches and put a full head weave in. My hair grew so fast under the weave it was ridiculous. I didn't trim it for the first 6 months. I took the weave out once a month and put in a fresh set but I washed and deep conditioned my hair every two weeks with the weave in.

I just made sure that my hair under the weave was always moisturized. Honestly I can't remember what I used. I know it wasn't anything special just some drug store moisturizer but I do remember using Isoplus Hair Dr. in a can.( any body remember this stuff? :yep:)

I took the weave out after wearing it for just over a year. My hair was almost bra-strap. Then I colored it with Feria and it broke and fell out like crazy. Had to cut it. Then I red that Aaliyah used Joico K pak reconstructor in her hair so i started using that once every two weeks followed with a moisturizing conditioner. ORS hair mayo mixed with oils, honey and lots of stuff from the kitchen would be my deep conditioner once a week. I did rollersets only, flat ironed my roots and I'd spray it with Isoplus and wrap. That's all I did.

I didn't even know LHCF existed at the time but I had already figured out the protein/ moisture balance, low heat and low manipulation thing on my own. I trimmed though. I may never know but I think that trimming my hair every 8 weeks keeps splits away. I never ever find split ends in my hair.

So anyway, after finding the forum I realized that wearing the weave got me past shoulders without trouble. Maybe if I hadn't worn the weave for that first year it would have taken me longer. When I found the forum I was shocked that there were other black women out there who had figured out hair care like I had. I was only doing what I thought worked for me though.

remnant

I'm not WSL either but I'd guess about 4 years + in general...

I'm not WL either but I agree with Fine4s

edited: CONGRATULATION ladies for your beautiful WL hair , and thank you for your awesome tips and regimens :up:

Last edited:

audacity.

It took me about 3 years. I had a haircut in 1999 (way above the shoulder Bob), and I got to waist length around 2002. I remember Jade21 was the one that told me 'OMG Allandra, you're at waist length.' I was so excited. :giggle:

wouldn't y'all say that 3 years is average and 4 years is more realistic???

sweetcashew said:
About 2.5 years from 1 inch to waist (with 1/4 inch trims every 8 weeks.)

*sigh* i must be doing something wrong...:ohwell:

Starr1

It took me about 2 years to go from slightly longer than APL to waist without really trying, after I started being serious it took me 1.5 years from waist to 4" past tailbone it took me 1.5, and about a week ago I cut back to tailbone to thicken up my hemline and get rid of some unwanted ends. If I do what I'm supposed to with no setbacks, I should be at classic in just over a year- but of course I can never just do what I'm supposed to.:look:

lipyt

I don't know how you girls did it! Waist length in 3 years! I don't think it will be possible for me. I grew my hair out from 1 inch afer a BC to a little past armpit in 3 years. I'm thinking for me to get to WL it will take another 3 years... I hope I get amazing growth like yall..

silvergirl

i dont have waistlength hair but based on the average hair growth, id say from scratch it would take 3 years.

Kerryann

I cant lie i dont see me with waist lenght hair if that ever happens i would pass out.

I am hoping that next year i would be very very close to midbacklenght

Last edited:

J Hazel

One thing I'm noticing is that a lot of the ladies who reached waistlength in a relatively short space of time have type 3 hair...

jamaraa

Height makes a HUGE difference...more so than hair texture, IMHO. A person who's under 5'5 will get there much faster than a person who's over 5'8. This is why you see kids w/ tons of hair but as they get bigger than hair seems shorter. It isn't (unless the cut it, of course) it's just that the rest of them has stretched out.

The same principle applies here.

mscocoface

One thing I'm noticing is that a lot of the ladies who reached waistlength in a relatively short space of time have type 3 hair...

I was about to ask are their any 4Bs relaxed or natural with that type of growth?

I have been at this seriously 5 years and I am now where near waistlength.

I have had some medical issues, but even with that it has been seriously slow growing. I am thinking it may take me another 3 or 4 before I get there at least.

I only know of two ladies with 4b natural that may have gotten to waistlength or close to it and that is Sera and Sonce. I believe they both have been at this for a minute at least 5 years.

You all do give me hope though. :yep:

jamaraa

I was about to ask are their any 4Bs relaxed or natural with that type of growth?

I have been at this seriously 5 years and I am now where near waistlength.

I have had some medical issues, but even with that it has been seriously slow growing. I am thinking it may take me another 3 or 4 before I get there at least.

I only know of two ladies with 4b natural that may have gotten to waistlength or close to it and that is Sera and Sonce. I believe they both have been at this for a minute at least 5 years.

You all do give me hope though. :yep:

Fine 4s (natural) and HappilyMe (relaxed) are WL+. I beloeve HappilyMe got it in sometime like a few years...she's a very oldhead member...Fine4s, dunno how long it took her. CelinaStarr is even longer than this and she has a very mixed textured head....in some ways, this makes it even harder than if she were ONLY a 3 or 4.

There are some who simply don't claim any lengths here either who have that or longer! ;)

Last edited:

Enyo

Height makes a HUGE difference...more so than hair texture, IMHO. A person who's under 5'5 will get there much faster than a person who's over 5'8. This is why you see kids w/ tons of hair but as they get bigger than hair seems shorter. It isn't (unless the cut it, of course) it's just that the rest of them has stretched out. The same principle applies here.

Bumping. Are there any ladies that are above 5'5" that are currently at WL? What's your height, how long did it take you, and from what point did you start growing? If you have actual numbers, that'd be even better! Ya'll know I'm against body measurements when we are comparing hair! LOL!

Last edited: